World Wonder Studios-A Mysterio Appreciation Thread

CrimeMaster! said:
Actually in most interviews Stan always admits to Doc Ock and Sandman as his favorite Spider-man foes.

Actually if you watch Stan's interviews on the special features of the 90's animated cartoon,he says Doc Ock and Green Goblin are his favorites because they caused Spider-Man more trouble than any other villain.

Now here is an excerpt from Adam-Troy Castro's Sinister Six novels.In this particular passage Spider-Man is describing each member of the Six to a loser criminal named the Disc Jockey in a bid to show him that he's amateur compared to the villains Spider-Man usually faces.

Here is his description of Mysterio:

"The third guy I'm talking about is a washed up Hollywood stunt man by the name of Quentin Beck,who calls himself Mysterio.Beck happens to be a world class fighter; he's agile,and well trained,and able to swallow an impossible amount of physical abuse before he even starts to consider falling down.He has a kick,just for starters,capable of taking your head off.
But that's not what makes him so dangerous.You see,he's also one of the world's leading masters of special effects.He has so many ways of fooling you that he can make you think you're seeing miracles.He can float on a pillar of smoke.He can appear and disappear at a whim.He can pass through solid walls.He can make you run screaming in terror from people trying to help you,then trick you into seeing a solid floor where's there's really a fifty storey drop.
Heck if I wanted to stand here all day,I could tell you all of his gimmicks.But let's just give you an idea by saying that not so long ago,he spent a full year terrorizing this one guy with hallucinations,driving the fella insane just to prove he could.Not a nice man,this Mysterio".

I'm glad a mysterio thread's been made. Good villain, and highly underrated.

Doc Ock said:
Actually if you watch Stan's interviews on the special features of the 90's animated cartoon,he says Doc Ock and Green Goblin are his favorites because they caused Spider-Man more trouble than any other villain.

Now here is an excerpt from Adam-Troy Castro's Sinister Six novels.In this particular passage Spider-Man is describing each member of the Six to a loser criminal named the Disc Jockey in a bid to show him that he's amateur compared to the villains Spider-Man usually faces.

Here is his description of Mysterio:

"The third guy I'm talking about is a washed up Hollywood stunt man by the name of Quentin Beck,who calls himself Mysterio.Beck happens to be a world class fighter; he's agile,and well trained,and able to swallow an impossible amount of physical abuse before he even starts to consider falling down.He has a kick,just for starters,capable of taking your head off.
But that's not what makes him so dangerous.You see,he's also one of the world's leading masters of special effects.He has so many ways of fooling you that he can make you think you're seeing miracles.He can float on a pillar of smoke.He can appear and disappear at a whim.He can pass through solid walls.He can make you run screaming in terror from people trying to help you,then trick you into seeing a solid floor where's there's really a fifty storey drop.
Heck if I wanted to stand here all day,I could tell you all of his gimmicks.But let's just give you an idea by saying that not so long ago,he spent a full year terrorizing this one guy with hallucinations,driving the fella insane just to prove he could.Not a nice man,this Mysterio".

Yeah Stan does jump around alot with interviews but if I had to pick who his favorite Marvel villain is I would say Dr.Doom.Yeah I forgot he did say the Goblin before as a favorite but i do remember serveral interviews where he mention how he always enjoyed the Sandman.

Anyway how are those novels?

CrimeMaster! said:
Anyway how are those novels?

Fantastic.

A must for any Spider-Man fan.Wonderfully written,exciting plot,and the characters are all portrayed faithfully.

You'll truly appreciate each and every member of the Six after reading these novels.Every one of them are shown as the monsters they are.

I cannot recommend them enough.

Atlast! Mysterio appreciation!

Two words - Gaurdian Devil.

While I'm not a huge fan of Kevin Smith, I applaud him and this book as it finally elevated Mysterio to the A-list.

Vile said:
Atlast! Mysterio appreciation!

Two words - Gaurdian Devil.

While I'm not a huge fan of Kevin Smith, I applaud him and this book as it finally elevated Mysterio to the A-list.

unfortunatley for me I never started collecting comics till 2002 after I realized Batman was a comic book. lol, lame little me.

now I want it badly to see if I can call Mysterio a "A" villain, and even if he is why would they let him kill himslef?

Because, essentually...Mysterio was really going nowhere in the Marvel Universe. Kevin Smith actually addressed this and used it as a backdrop to create THE best Mysterio tale out there.

It was more than vein attempt to make him cool...as the book progresses, you find yourself almost lost in it knowing that when the end comes it's going to be something truely great. Again, Smith delivers thankfully by not just having DD beat up ol' Myst and carte him off to jail...no, we finally get a glimpse of Mysterio BY Mysterio. It's not that he just CAN'T catch a break...he himself hasnt been happy with his career. As he said, "The Sinister Six...how sad." That was not the direction his life was supposed to go - even his criminal career.

Mysterio has always been a pity case - everything he has done is always 'poor little me'. When he reveals his entire plot to DD (and what a plot it is...) There is no praise, not even a moment of shock or awe on DD's face. DD just cuts him down to the core with words. "I could have killed him...but with a few carefully chosen words...I watch as a man dies before me."

In the end, even having crafted the greatest illusion he'll ever be able to create...Myst gets no props. Nothing. His death was PERFECT, in a fashion that just so incredibly fits Quentin Beck, Mysterio.

"You're not going to want to miss this, Devil. I don't know who's going to enjoy this more...me or you." "Whys that?" "Because I stole this one too....from Kraven." *Blam*

God what a create book.

Please continue into the story, I want to hear about the plot.

I think Mysterio is a great Spider-Man villain, but truthfully from what I have heard about Guardian devil and other appearances I think that he would be a better Dare Devil villain.

I know this is a Spider-Man board but hear me out. Of what I was watching in the Dare Devil movie i saw how Dare Devil was trying to be a hero and yet he was interpreded as a bad person, that sought out justice in a bad way. Hence te kid was scared at him and Dare Devil needed some time agian to think about his life as a hero.

now that the King Pin and bullseye thing has wrapped up, think of Mysterio coming in and having some heads smashed aroung and "Bam" daredevil starts to think he has killed someone with people watching him (kinda like the Spider-man story).

Mysterio could elaborate on the problems DareDevil faces, and do all the stuff that makes Dare Devil go insane.

I think it was to bad we are getting Mr. Fear instead, but fear is my fav in dare devil so I am happy for him.

I think Mysterio is a more darker character if done right and makes sense for Daredevil but is nice in SPider-Man as well where he belongs.

Basically, the story involves the comming of the Anti-Christ and heralds the end of the world. During all that, Foggy kills a women and is locked up, DD finds himself having to care for the suppose Anti-Christ child, Karen Page finds out she has aids, only to die at the hands of Bullseye.

Essentually it's the breaking down of DD's world as he knows it...the plot sounds far fetched, but it's handed out in small doses...The Anti-Christ? Come on...but on the day it was born about 40 children in the maternity ward of a hospital died. Yer kinda thinking it's silly...then **** like that happens and you start to think, "Well..okay..."

The end result is that ol' Quentin Beck had a brain tumor and lung cancer - mostly from absorbing the latex chemicals and the signature smoke he used as a kid all the way through his criminal career. He's released from prison and after a huge tantrum where he attempts to destroy all his ****...he decides that of he's going to go out...he's going to go out big. Unfortunatly at this time the Clone Saga was going on and Scarlett Spider was on the scene...he couldnt go after a simple...copy of Spidey, so he choose DD who he had clashed with on several occasions. "You were like me." He remarks. Hardly though of, a second stringer, nobody of importance. He goes to Kingpin and pays him a million bucks for all the info on DD...and then "set about creating the greatest undoing of a man there ever was."

He also had one of the greatest comic book quotes, ol' Myst.

"I will show him that a man without fear is a man without faith...and a man without faith is easily unmade."

Damn all the more reason to Love Mysterio, still shame he had to die, in the Spider-man DVD Kevin Smith says his favorite Villain is Mysterio. I am happy so that he is a fan because of what he has done for the comics and movie industry.

Thanks alot Vile, I am sure to try and pick up the series in a graphic novel or something of volume 2.

Ok, Big question.

How did you find out about Mysterio and why do you like him?

was it the books,
tv series,

what is it?

I first ran into Mysterio way back in the Return of the Sinister Six series. My father bought me a Doctor Octopus action figure and one comic from that series was included...I dunno, the character just won me over right there. I LOVE the costume...people say it's corny and silly...but no more than a green guy with a stocking on the head or a man with a star-mask face.

His theatricality always won me over...Venom, Carnage, the Green Goblin, Octopus...when they showed up, they showed up big.

When Mysterio showed up, he showed up HUGE. Only he could drop a frickin' Sphinx in the middle of New York and make people BELIEVE this is happening!

I also liked that, physically, he was never really a match for Spidey - much like the Hobgoblin (Kingsley, my second fav villains to Mysterio) He HAD the power (his suit was wired to enhance his strength), but was more a mastermind villain. After all, any Tom, Dick, and Harry supervillain and duke it out...but how many can convince Spidey he's six inches tall?

As I grew older and they explained Mysterio more, my love for the character just grew - I found it awesome he couldnt just show up a bank and rob it. Just show up outside and armored car and take what he wants. For Mysterio, it takes planning - sometimes even MONTHS in advance...and thats pretty scary, if you ask me...someone who is THAT devoted to something that will...honestly? Take what? a couple of minutes to accomplish? It was a sick psychopathic sense of showmanship. He could stop an armored car with a grenade...but dammit, why not make the drivers think Satan himself has come for them?

I also liked how they explained the dome - it being a holographic projector and YES, later, it was armored. He was always the shifty villain....no one really trusted him...and for good reason. In Mysterio's Play of Life, he was the lead. He's tangled with some powerful heroes too, most notably X-Man. A very great read also.

It pissed me off that Beck went out in such a grand fashion befitting his character...only for Marvel to bring back Mysterio and make it frickin' Danny Berkhart. Show some respect to the dead, here!

RIP Quentin Beck.

I picked up the Mysterio two parter by Gerry Conway, the ASM #141-142, not bad at all. But as I read about Daniel Berkhart, there are alot of differences between the character that i had grown up with. (mainly from the cartoon series lol now i sound like a Venom fan)

Quentin Beck:
- Created huge events and made very theatrical appearances, such as the Sphinx and other illusions that appear to be big and everyone believes it.
-Never trusted anyone, one of his most well known attibutes, never really cared much for the Sinister Six, as said. I think he only joined cause the writers needed a higher profile character but I need some more correction on that.
-Was never an open fighter, it was his last resort, He knew when he was out matched and fighting the opponent in a physicle battle rather than mental was a last option if all else failed.
- Always Planned ahead, Beck planned his crimes very well, thinking always moves ahead so he can determine what might happen. Very smart on his behalf.
-would study his foe to the best of his abilities and thinking, new what the hero would do in a situation, what could break his mind apart.

Daniel Berkhart:
-very open fighter, the guy would go straight on with the foe, he was just that type of person, wether he was out matched or not.
-Never came to a scene in a big bang, he was always a guy who was just there, nothing big like the sphinx and what not. Zombies of what I know is the biggest ilusion he has done by himself so far.
-trusted other people, mistake for him, he teamed up with Electro, now I think that this should have been a spin off book atleast of something, this was a good team up but nothing came of it, I don't see why. but the Mysterio I know would screw over electro and scare the hell out of him.
- never planned out his crimes and that is what pissed me off, he is the open guy and goes full in, but please, just get going and plan something big instead of something so small.

Very different, I liked the Beck better of course just flat out cool guy and makes me happy to see him beat the hell out of Spiderman or drive Dare Devil mad.

Overall, the Berkhart has made Mysterio of the present a minor villain rather than the Major villain that Beck was.:(

Vile said:
I also liked that, physically, he was never really a match for Spidey - much like the Hobgoblin (Kingsley, my second fav villains to Mysterio) He HAD the power (his suit was wired to enhance his strength), but was more a mastermind villain. After all, any Tom, Dick, and Harry supervillain and duke it out...but how many can convince Spidey he's six inches tall?

kinda odd....Kingsley is My all time second fav...for the same reasons....I will shrug this off as coinsidence rather than fact or something.

Anyway for how I "met' Mysterio foes like this,

it was somewhere in the nineties when I was growing up and they had the classic shows brought back from the late 60's to 70's. Anywa was watching it and there was a bubble head figure in a bar fighting spider-Man.

at first I may have thought it was kind of funny to see a character so oddly dressed but as I watched the show I watched his everymove and started to wonder more and more about the character. Before i knew it I started liking the costume alot and couldn't wait to see some more of him.

so 90's role around, the animated series proves how badly done Mysterio can be done just like the S2 video game. Another Mistake that Marvel has made for one of it's better villains.

His episode (main one) wasn't as appealing as the 60's series one, although based on ASM #13, I did not know this at the time, it wasn't all that great as they changed somethings and the way he is captured and hung up. not going to happen. MELT THE FREAKIN WEBBING IT'S WHAT YOUR FAMOUS FOR!

so I was a bit depressed. But loved it non the less, so hat's off to Mysterio and Smith!:) :daredevil :up:

WTF!!! THE FIGURE IS $200!!!

Even spider-man versus green goblin is cheaper and that is two figures, what the heck is wrong with the people selling it?

I have to find someting cheaper, I'll look some more.

Indeed, Berkhart has pretty much brought disgrace to the Mysterio legacy...so lets pretend that never happened. =)

One thing I've always wondered about...could Pete have powered on through all that DD went through in Gaurdian Devil? Parker is a strong willed character, no doubt about that, but I wonder...I mean, his parents returning and turning out to be fake nearly drove him mad...Could he have survived nearly everyone close to him being....dead?

Makes ya wonder.

Well, wether or not if we like it, Berkhart happened :( and it will be that way for a long time, as I am assuming. They don't want to bring back a villain that made a legendary stand. it is just not right. (like Kraven ect.)

Berkhart has made Mysterio go back to a "minor" state, where when the writers need someone to pick on, it is him. It's just getting old.

Well, as you know I have not read it, but I have read alot on it, Guardian Devil was a very harsh storyline.

Peter Parker is strong and such forth, but his ego takes him back a bit, he would always thing Mysterio has got something up his sleeve but nothing as bad as someone else would take.

in other words, Spider-Man normally under estimates him, I am thinking Peter would just think it to be another lame event or whatever that Mysterio normally always does.

So he would be taken back and off guard, in fact heck I think Spider-Man would actually lose his mind in the madness of it all. Someone like Daredevil can think his way through were as Spider-Man has been known to goof off alot.

Agreed. I dont think Pete would be able to handle it all at all - especially if you substitute Karen Page with Mary Jane.

TheRiddlerkid said:
I don't think that a Mysterio Movie would work well with another Villain so he should be a stand alone type.

If you look at the rouges in SPider-Mans gallery you can see that most of them are kind of Mindless typed that go around killing people and so forth and so on. In My opion Mysterio can beat almost any villain on the list.

Mysterio Plans things out, that is what he is known, for. If you played Mysterio in chess you would lose. In almost all of his prominent appearances he had Worked everything and thought his moves ahead of time. He studies his advarsary and descovers his weaknessed his strenghts and then plan to eliminate him in a way that the person will not expect.

Hence a perfect stand alone, I kinda prefer for a movie his action scenes rather than Venoms. From what I say in the cartoon series Venom was more of the fighting type where as with Mysterio it's all floating junk and then good fighting in the Middle.

And come on who doesn't love it when Mysterio messes with the city? It's just funny. I loved it when everything was up in the sky and everyone was scared to jump off the edge it was just cool and the Meteors and the Fighting at the time was just lovely. This guy is defiantly Movie Material.

I kinda agree but I would like to see Mysterio as main baddie and have Shocker or Rhino or some other foe create trouble a few times throughout the film.

:bomb:

The Villain said:
I kinda agree but I would like to see Mysterio as main baddie and have Shocker or Rhino or some other foe create trouble a few times throughout the film.

:bomb:

I would rather have him by himself, he can do it without the aid of a minor villain to make the movie run along.

just some more pictures to keep this thing around;

MysterioDarkGreen-Series4-Front.jpg

This is the action figure I am looking for, from what I hear it is a nice sculpt and texture and stays true to the animated series. Only minor flaws are the buble that is painted white and then fades down into light green. It also has holes in the back to put in the water shooter. Just make a Mysterio and I will be happy.

spiderman-mysterio.jpg

The Mysterio I grew up off of, just a nice suit really and I loved the bowl in this picture it is nice and wavy just really cool.

bowen-spiderman-mysterio.jpg

Something we all need to get if we haven't already this thing looks really nice as it is. I think for look it is ok, but really the head is still to small. I hate it when the little it or over size it, there is a way to make it just right.

AmazSpid24.JPG

First time Spider-Man goes Mad, #24 of ASM, I wouldn't mind having this one, only problem is Mysterio is not Mysterio in this one he is Doctor Rienhart I believe. Still looks good and I want it.

Thats Myst bust is pretty cool...gatta pick it up.

Vile said:
Thats Myst bust is pretty cool...gatta pick it up.

I think for me I have only hope online, but I am sure to get it sooner or later it is very cool looking and since it's Mysterio well, gotta get it right?

Anywy check out this bust:

th_7ef_Mysterio3.jpg

This bust is limited to 2500 world wide :eek: It's gonna cost me a small fortune.

Some Mysteriousness for the day:

th_a20_DareDevil1.jpg

th_712_DareDevil2.jpg

th_78e_DareDevil3.jpg

Well, it is hard to get some decent Mysterio comic pages as he is using ilusions most of the time the third picture is pretty sweet though. I think that is from the Guardian Devil not sure Vile could you clear that up?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"