Wonder Woman 1984 General Discussion and Speculation - Part 2

Discussion in 'Wonder Woman 1984' started by Thread Manager, Aug 2, 2018.

1. Mysteryman Registered

CM did very well, but that was Pre Pandemic.

2. Mysteryman Registered

NOPE!

#2977 Mysteryman, Sep 11, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
  3. TheVileOne Registered

I agree.

4. Micromind New World New Rules

Yeah, the COVID-19 problem won't get completely resolved but we would get vaccines by then (March 2021) and even if the movie does half the numbers of Captain Marvel, it would still be huge win for WB, compared to what they would get by releasing it this year.

5. Erzengel |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

I think we have to be in a place where we are all like, "Hey remember the pandemic of 2020?" not like we all just got vaccines, everything is open, let's go to the movies now. Even if everything opened tomorrow, I think it would take months for movies to get to be where they were pre pandemic. Personally, if vaccines were given out today and movies opened tomorrow, I don't know when I'd be comfortable going back, at least a few months after everything was open at the very least.

6. I Am The Knight Tonight's a good night.

So if it opens in December it will have been delayed like a whole year since it's original release date from 2019.

psylockolussus likes this.
  7. KaijuDude1992 Registered

Pushing this back to Spring/Summer 2021 seems like the best option IMO. Delaying it by two months isn't going to do much of anything at all since I'm pretty sure this pandemic isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Hopefully, things get better by mid next year though and we are all able to enjoy going back to the movies again.

8. Joined:
    Mar 10, 2015
    Why's that though? To me, a movie theater is arguably one of the safest places TO go to right now. I feel safer going to see a movie than going out to eat. You can social distance in a theater just fine because there's limited capacity, you walk in, you sit down, you walk out. You're required to wear a mask if you're not eating popcorn or drinking anything...I didn't come in contact with anyone when I saw Tenet except my brother who I went to the movie with.

Mysterious likes this.
  9. dhandler01 Half breed!

Yeah as long as there are social distancing protocols in place I had no issue being at the theater. Since I didnt have popcorn I wore my mask the whole time with no issues whatsoever. People are way better there than they are at restaurants.

10. Mysteryman Registered

When my state allows me to go back to theaters, I will NOT be using their restrooms or concessions.
    My mask will not be coming off while I am there.

11. Pfeiffer-Pfan Cool Rider

At this rate... I would have just pushed this into next year. It would give the movie some breathing room and avoid this re-dating nonsense every couple of weeks.

Plus, next year is Wonder Woman's 80th anniversary, so that would certainly help with marketing, etc.

12. DlAMONDZ Registered

Flu season is coming. 2020 is over

Mysterious likes this.
  13. samsnee Ok

Honestly if people continue to wear masks and distance, flu season may not actually be as bad.

14. jmc away for a while

The worst part about this is that the hype for this has been killed. This isn't the only film to have that happen of course, but every time the film is moved the marketing has to effectively start all over again. You cannot build any hype for a movie this way. At this stage, it's gotten to the point where I'm not even that fussed about whether I see it in a theatre or in my own home first. As someone who has been waiting for Wonder Woman v Cheetah to appear on screen for years the fact I've become somewhat indifferent says a lot.

KaijuDude1992 and Mysterious like this.
  15. dhandler01 Half breed!

Problem is that in plenty of places in this country people arent wearing masks or social distancing. That is why there is new outbreaks every couple of weeks.

JMC,

It is hard to be hyped because there is no end in sight. The hype will rebuild if/when things get back to normal and they can resume marketing in full force. I mean there is a reason Fandome got everyone juiced up again it was the most normal things have felt in a while. We are just stuck in a never ending cycle of people being dumb and not doing what needs to be done to get us on the right path.

16. UncleSam1776 Registered

Patty & Gal didn't even bother tweeting about the new release date this time. I can only imagine the frustration that they must be feeling.

17. Micromind New World New Rules

Probably because no one can predict how the pandemic situation will play out in winter, if it gets worse, they will have to move it again.

Also, traditionally, most movies earn major portion of money during the first 2 weeks of release but with COVID, things have changed, they will have to play the long game, it will be all about legs, the longer a movie stays (and retains it's audience) more it will earn. That is, front-loaded movie-days are gone, it's no longer about the opening weekend.

Which means releasing it on 25th December 2020, is effectively releasing it in January 2021 (in absence of front-loaded first week), and it's peak winter season and everybody knows that most Studios are not happy in releasing their tent-pole, blockbuster cinemas in January.

Which is why releasing WW84 in March 2021 makes more sense. (Look at Captain Marvel.)

#2992 Micromind, Sep 12, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
  18. Micromind New World New Rules

They are still promoting the movie though..

19. Micromind New World New Rules

Movie prologue Comic ?

[​IMG]

20. Micromind New World New Rules

WW84 Fandome poster

[​IMG]

21. Micromind New World New Rules

22. Micromind New World New Rules

Those people who are advocating that this be released on VOD should look at how Mulan is doing, before pandemic, it was considered as a movie that would bring in boatloads of cash for Di$ney, it has got theatrical release in few International markets, but it's not doing good, in addition, the movie is facing Piracy problems because it was released on VOD on Disney+.

Also, the number of people buying the movie/ purchasing the movie in Disney+ is not that great. From TENET thread -
    as for Overseas Box Office, The Chinese Box Office observer has given Piracy as one of the reasons why it is not doing well over there.

Studio thinks Tenet's domestic b.o. numbers are not worth reporting.

What I mean to say is that releasing WW84 on VOD may not result in good collections, and releasing this during pandemic period might not be a good idea either as Tenet is not doing well in US.

Best to move it to next year.

#2997 Micromind, Sep 13, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
  23. dhandler01 Half breed!

Tenet is probably doing about as well as can be expected. Grosses will be lower because theaters are restricted. They knew they were going to take a bath but they were not going to upset Nolan.

Mulan also has all that negative press over the Hong Kong stuff which is really hampering it overseas. PR disaster on top of the other issues.

The piracy thing seems to get forgotten in these discussions of VOD. Piracy will go through the roof on a blockbuster released on VOD. The amount of money lost will be insane.

24. Erzengel |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

Cause I'm relying on other people to be safe as me as well? Just walking around, most people still treat masks as an afterthought. Not to mention, "it's dark, everyone is going to be watching the movie, no one is going to notice me pull down my mask." Now imagine a theater at 50% capacity, I wouldn't trust half of them to do what they needed to do.

25. dhandler01 Half breed!

According to the Hype home page it looks like Black Widow is being delayed again...but no digital release like Mulan. I think we can officially call TENET the end of the movie season.