Wonder Woman 1984 General Discussion and Speculation - Part 2

If lockdown measures become stricter and people can't visit their relatives again or mix households, then what's the chance of anyone going out to cinemas?

The best place to move this film is to 2019 where it should've been in the first place.
2021 even. :cwink:

Cinemas are always going to be secondary to essential needs. It’s a shame but unfortunately how things are.

They are waiting until they absolutely have to, just like they did before. I am sure they already know where they are moving it but they dont really gain anything or lose anything by announcing now. Personally I would just make the announcement.

Plus, they are hoping the theaters make the decision official for them. Regal closing is the sign things arent headed the right way. If say, AMC closes then WB doesnt have to make the announcement.

Jenkins said she was watching the progress of the pandemic and hoping that Wonder Woman can lead a return to cinemas that gives people a welcome escape from reality.

I really hope that we are able to be one of the very first ones to come back and bring that into everyone’s life,” she said.

Why is this important? Is this why they keep delaying it by only 2 months? WB has this weird obsession with trying to be the saviors of movie theaters.

By the way, how did that "Tenet will save theaters" campaign turn out?

Regal Movie Chain Will Close All 536 U.S. Theaters On Thursday

A studio released a $200 million blockbuster during a pandemic for the results to be a worldwide total of maybe $350M and theaters still closing.
:facepalm:

With Soul being announced for streaming, that kind of leaves WW as the only big escapist movie of the year. While there’s no way WW does good business by December, I also don’t know if pushing back the movie to June 2021 is the way to go considering they’ve already spent a lot of money on marketing, and the more they delay the movie the more expensive it is.

There is no way it is going to come out in December. There is no guarantee theaters in the States will even be open at that point. Regal already closed and with the way our numbers are rising again because people are selfish pricks the odds are others will follow.

There is no way it is going to come out in December. There is no guarantee theaters in the States will even be open at that point. Regal already closed and with the way our numbers are rising again because people are selfish pricks the odds are others will follow.

Theaters in my area are being forced to close again for the next 30 days. COVID-19 cases in my province were under 100 cases a day in August. Yesterday saw a total of 930 cases (highest total since the pandemic started). Can't imagine how bad it's going to be by Dec.

Last edited:
With Soul being announced for streaming, that kind of leaves WW as the only big escapist movie of the year. While there’s no way WW does good business by December, I also don’t know if pushing back the movie to June 2021 is the way to go considering they’ve already spent a lot of money on marketing, and the more they delay the movie the more expensive it is.
Monster Hunter and Death on the Nile are two other 2020 movies I want to see in a theater.

(Behind the scenes photo) Shooting on location and practical wire-work, instead of pure CGI effects !

Ej0qU6oXsAA1QnH

Since Jenkins is planning an Amazon movie before WW3, the layoff for WW could be quite long.

“It really is about how the US continues to open and whether there are any other surges. We’ve got a little bit of time to figure that out.”

Ann Sarnoff must be living on a different planet than the rest of us. Over 1000 Americans died yesterday from COVID-19. Not to mention the over 80,000 new COVID-19 cases. Move the movie to late 2021 or just put it on VOD already because I am tired of reading the dumb comments coming from different WB execs.

Last edited:
Yeah the only way to say there wont be any new surges is if you assume this current surge lasts into December. (so it wouldnt be new, just part of the same one) The US has so screwed this up we will be getting surges into January and possibly February even if a vaccine shows up.

I think only WB or Disney can afford to try and restart cinemas but that just won't happen before late March / early April in the most positive scenario. Highly doubt MGM/Uni will risk Bond to become some guinea pig over during Easter so can imagine WW84 moving there. Of course, we may also have to wait until May or June, just can't expect any vaccine to have immediate effect.

honestly they'll be screwed for the next 6 months and I doubt any movies will be blockbusters for the next year. Just greenlit WW3 and start working on it.

So if WW84 shifts, where would it go? A logical place would be back to the first weekend of June; that’s the same weekend where the first movie launched to a $103.2M opening in 2017.

June 4, 2021 was a good date before F9 moved to May 28, 2021. F9 would eat into a lot of WW84's overseas box office.

Here is what I would do:
WW84 moves to Aug 6, 2021
TSS moves to Oct 1, 2021
Dune moves to Nov 24, 2021

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88