Wonder Woman 1984 General Discussion and Speculation - Part 2

Wonder Woman is better then Wandavision. What an overrated show. I actually like Batwoman better then Wondavision.

I also like WW84 better than Wandavision. The thing that concerns me about WV is, is the show a slow burn or is it going to end up just being a show that was dragged out for seemingly no reason other than to get extra episodes. I like the show and I'm like ok the sitcom gimmick is getting a little tiresome. I can see myself getting board with WV compared to WW84 were I may have issue with it I'm still gonna buy it and watch it a lot.

I also like WW84 better than Wandavision. The thing that concerns me about WV is, is the show a slow burn or is it going to end up just being a show that was dragged out for seemingly no reason other than to get extra episodes. I like the show and I'm like ok the sitcom gimmick is getting a little tiresome. I can see myself getting board with WV compared to WW84 were I may have issue with it I'm still gonna buy it and watch it a lot.
Big Sky is a mystery show with lots of twists and turns. Wandavision is not in the same ballpark as a television show. Wandavision is leading into Spider-Man and to be real most people already know the answer to the shows mystery. I think that is why I am so bored with it. Wonder Woman was its own thing, I just wish it had more action. Cheetah was a great character in the movie and the wasted her.

Now we see clearly why they greenlit a sequel so fast

HBO Max Subscriber Update: AT&T
But, but, but YouTuber’s say Wonder Woman is a failure and HBO Max has no subscribers. I noticed this was anounced this morning and the only person who commented on it on YouTube was Thic Grace. Say what you want about the price of HBO Max but the content is phenomenal and getting two blockbusters a month for the rest of the year is a cherry on top.

So just to put things into numbers we're all use to around here. Wonder Woman was the most viewed movie to debut on streaming at 2.25 Billion minutes viewed on its opening weekend. With a runtime of 155 minutes, that translate to about...

14,516,129 views in its opening weekend on the HBO max platform.

So if we take the average ticket sale costs in the United States which is about $9.16. That would have translated to about a $132,967,742 box office opening weekend on top of the $16.7 million it actually made in the US box office opening weekend.

Which adds up to about a $150 million opening weekend.

But here is where it gets crazy and perhaps even unbelievable. Remember when I shared this tweet?

Without doing any additional math, the raw numbers already FAR EXCEEDS what analysts have projected, which was that more people viewed WW84 in its opening weekend then did the first Wonder Woman film in it's opening weekend 14,516,129 vs 10,000,000.

Now consider the fact that analysts believe there was an average of 3 people per household watching the movie as mentioned in the tweet. that totals to 43,548,387 viewers.

translate that to ticket sales adds up to a whopping $398,903,225 opening weekend($415,603,225 if you add what its actual box office opening weekend numbers to that total)

Now before you all go nuts on me, I understand consumer behavior is not going to be exactly the same as it is when it comes to watching a movie in theaters versus watching a movie in the comfort of their homes so I know this isn't exactly an apples to apples comparison. Especially when you consider matinee prices and kid/senior discounts and whatever other things you can think of. And trust me, I myself do not believe for one moment that WW84 would have made anywhere near that amount of money opening weekend had we been living in normal circumstances(NO WAY). But one thing is DEFINITELY certain, Wonder Woman 84 has outperformed the first Wonder Woman film BY A LANDSLIDE! and that is a fact that can not be denied! I would love it if someone much smarter than I am would chime in on this.

Last edited:
I think that is an oversimplification even with all of your caveats. There would have been a much steeper dropoff by the end of the weekend because of mediocre reviews hitting and WOM not being great. It would have overperformed versus WW opening weekend but would have fallen off a cliff by midweek and the next weekend would have seen a significant loss. So to say it outperformed WW is technically true but in reality that press would have last 5 days at best because it would have way worse legs.

Not to mention it should outperform the first film, the sequel was highly anticipated. Sequels usually are much more front loaded and this would have been EXTREMELY frontloaded.

That is why it is the perfect film for Max. Frontloading doesn't matter and neither do legs. Engagement and subs are what mattered and it had those in spades. Even people ripping the film doesn't matter because if you have the app it is free to try and if you hate it all you lost was the time.

I think it is disingenuous of some of these people to try and make these metrics look like they parallel because they don't. The sheer amount of concessions you made proves that and it just sounds too much like BS spin. (not you, them) It is like certain segments of the Snyder Cut fanbase who seem to think that because they are vocal and are going to talk up the movie to high heaven that it means there is going to be some sort of reckoning and people who hate his films will all of a sudden change their tune. That isn't how things work in the real world. WW84 would have had a huge opening weekend but would have struggled to hit the $822 million that the first one made with a (assumed) much bigger budget IMHO.

That is how I feel about it and I could be completely off.

I thought WW84 had the potential prepandemic to be a $1B film for the specific reason that 2020 was sort of light on high profile box office movies, at least to me. With how the movie turned out, I think the WOM would have prevented it from being $1B. $800s? Probably.

I thought WW84 had the potential prepandemic to be a $1B film for the specific reason that 2020 was sort of light on high profile box office movies, at least to me. With how the movie turned out, I think the WOM would have prevented it from being $1B. $800s? Probably.

Less than $800M.

I have to say...WW84 is probably better than Iron man 3 which has a 79% RT score and deserved much less.

I absolutely agree with this. However, I very much dislike Iron Man 3. I'll say this though, as much as I love the MCU films, I truly believe WW84 quality-wise would be in the middle of the pack comparatively speaking.

I continuously wonder why WB refuses to expand the world of Wonder Woman. Patty has wanted to further explore the Amazons in their own movie/series...now would be the perfect time to put it on HBO Max.

Both Amazons and Atlantis need to go to HBO Max ASAP, if we can have Wakanda we can have these too.

They already are letting her do the Amazons deal she has been talking about it forever. Maybe there is nothing to announce yet...

People complain when studios announce something and it never happens (especially WB) so you should NOT want them to announce something until it is concrete. "Developing" something means very little so wait until you have more.

They already are letting her do the Amazons deal she has been talking about it forever. Maybe there is nothing to announce yet...

People complain when studios announce something and it never happens (especially WB) so you should NOT want them to announce something until it is concrete. "Developing" something means very little so wait until you have more.

They arent letting her do the Amazon spin off since like you said "nothing has been announced yet". WB easily greenlights things they want to move forward with just like they did with WW3 or The Batman spin off on Gotham PD or the Suicide Squad spin off.

Commit to more things in the Wonder Woman universe. We gonna wait another 50 years for a Wonder Woman animated series?

Random question - does anyone have the full quote by Steve Trevor when Diana learns to fly? I would like to use it for something...

Wonder Woman is better then Wandavision. What an overrated show. I actually like Batwoman better then Wondavision.
RIDICULOUS . You and everyone else are very much entitled to your opinions but the overall general consensus on these two projects won't even be close. Maybe its blind fan loyalty to DC over Marvel - or jealousy that one studio is beloved by critics and the other is hit and miss, not sure but when fans say things like this it illustrates the problems in the fan bases.

First off what does WV have to do with WW84, why even bother comparing the two? And trying to proclaim WV is no good after three episodes is like me saying WW84 is a masterpiece after just seeing the opening scene on Themiscara(so?). WandaVision is a total of 6hrs and u dare to judge the entire series overall after just barely over an hour of the show in total viewing minutes. That's just laughable and makes DC hardcore fans look small and desperate. I think WV is refreshing and original storytelling the opening scene of episode 4 was epic and probably one of my favoties on any Marvel project and the online interest is on a level I've never seen with so much content out there and the excitement generated is enviable!

I think seeing that 90% score from critics on RT for WV has touched a nerve for WW84 fans feeling some kind of way about WW84 going rotten but don't take it out on Marvel its not their fault WW84 missed the mark. The problem is no clear vision and no person there like Feige to guide the ship. Walter is great and I think will make things better but its clear he's no Feige.

IFMCA Award Nominations 2020

FEBRUARY 4, 2021. The International Film Music Critics Association (IFMCA) announces its list of nominees for excellence in musical scoring in 2020, for the 17th annual IFMCA Awards. British composer Daniel Pemberton and German composer Hans Zimmer lead the field with the most number of nominations, each receiving a total of five.

Zimmer’s five nominations were all for his work on one film, “Wonder Woman 1984,” the blockbuster sequel to the 2017 DC superhero film directed by Patty Jenkins, and starring Gal Gadot and Chris Pine. The score is nominated for Score of the Year and in its Fantasy/Sci-Fi/Horror genre, Zimmer is nominated for Composer of the Year, and two of Zimmer’s individual cues – “1984” and “Themyscira” – are nominated for Film Music Composition of the Year. IFMCA member Jon Broxton praised the score’s “upbeat attitude, its buoyant sense of fun and optimism, and the unashamed, un-ironic sincerity of its emotional content,” and said that “the depth and complexity of Zimmer’s thematic ideas makes the score satisfying from an intellectual point of view, meaning that the whole thing succeeds on every count.”

RIDICULOUS . You and everyone else are very much entitled to your opinions but the overall general consensus on these two projects won't even be close. Maybe its blind fan loyalty to DC over Marvel - or jealousy that one studio is beloved by critics and the other is hit and miss, not sure but when fans say things like this it illustrates the problems in the fan bases.

First off what does WV have to do with WW84, why even bother comparing the two? And trying to proclaim WV is no good after three episodes is like me saying WW84 is a masterpiece after just seeing the opening scene on Themiscara(so?). WandaVision is a total of 6hrs and u dare to judge the entire series overall after just barely over an hour of the show in total viewing minutes. That's just laughable and makes DC hardcore fans look small and desperate. I think WV is refreshing and original storytelling the opening scene of episode 4 was epic and probably one of my favoties on any Marvel project and the online interest is on a level I've never seen with so much content out there and the excitement generated is enviable!

I think seeing that 90% score from critics on RT for WV has touched a nerve for WW84 fans feeling some kind of way about WW84 going rotten but don't take it out on Marvel its not their fault WW84 missed the mark. The problem is no clear vision and no person there like Feige to guide the ship. Walter is great and I think will make things better but its clear he's no Feige.
As for the comment well maybe he lime one better than the other-- I repeat how can u make that call on a 6 hr show after viewing only 1/6th of it. Just trying to find ways to feel better about the critical failure of WW84, and trying to use Marvel as scapegoat never works for DC fans. Maybe one day they will learn.

Why did you quote yourself when you were using my question?

Not everyone has a mentality of the Marvel/DC war. You seem to discount the fact that someone might watch an episode of a show and dislike it. It literally happens all of the time...its why shows get cancelled after a few weeks. People try them and don't like them. Pretty common.

You like it and that is fine. You dislike WW84 and that is fine as well. They liked WW84 and found nothing of value in the Wanda show. Now maybe that is because they are predisposed to dislike Marvel or maybe Wanda didn't pique their interest. Who are you to say what their motivation is? I have no dog in the fight I have zero interest in the MCU and WW84 was mediocre as I have posted multiple times but just because someone liked one more than the other doesn't mean what you are implying it means.

The only one scapegoating here is you. You seem offended somebody dislikes something you like and are coming at them over it for no reason. I am not sure if it is just a lost in translation thing or if you are super young or just trolling but it seems a bit out of line if you ask me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"