Wonder Woman 1984 General Discussion and Speculation - Part 2

Discussion in 'Wonder Woman 1984' started by Thread Manager, Aug 2, 2018.

1. Mysteryman Registered

WB announced not too long ago that they are not moving forward with The Trench.

2. Micromind Registered

Bring Allan Heinberg back for Wonder Woman 3.

Allan Heinberg, who was the writer of the first Wonder Woman movie (his script was used mostly unaltered after Patty Jenkins joined the project.)

Primal Slayer likes this.
  3. Dr. From parts unknown

Well, some reports say Jenkins and Johns did substantial rewrites on Wonder Woman. But by WGA rules, the effort wasn’t substantial enough to earn either one an official writer’s credit. Bottom line: the collaborative nature of the process and the legalistic nature of assigning on-screen credit makes it difficult, from the outside, to determine who should get the praise (or blame) as the main story “author.” Hypothetically, Heinberg’s script might have been crap; and hypothetically, J&J might have polished it into gold. However, without access to the various drafts, it’s difficult to know who did what. Given how WW84 turned out :ebr:..., it’s tempting to retroactively diminish J&J’s work on WW and elevate Heinberg. But this would be speculation. It’s entirely possible that J&J were the saviors of the first movie and (for whatever reasons) stumbled with the second. :shrug:

Milk Tray Guy likes this.
  4. Vlyse Registered

Remember WB wanted WW84 out on 11/1/2019. Patty closed the deal to direct on 9/11/2017, only a few months after WW's release. They supposedly had been working on writing for several months by that point, but I doubt it. WW's positive release was sandwiched between the wake of BVS/SS and JL's impending disaster. WB was most likely completely blindsided by the success of a female-led superhero film and were scrambling to get Gal and Patty locked in for a sequel. Then they hired another writer in September, too. Then filming started in June 2018. TLDR, they had no plan.

The WW84 script was rushed, and we can all see how half baked it is when we watch the movie. I don't think WW3 will have the same problem. Female-led superheroes are completely in now and the execs know it. And even if we have script problems again, Patty is done with the weird 80s love-story shtick, so we should at minimum get another action blockbuster that pleases audiences.

5. KRYPTON INC. Incorporated Kryptonian

I think that you can see where they were EXPECTING to take Diana given the material we saw in the JL Snyder Cut.

And given the way both it and WW1 ends it was a better and much more organic "next story" than the bizarre and goofy script that was WW84.

6. Micromind Registered

#5456 Micromind, Jul 23, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
    flickchick85 likes this.
  7. dhandler01 I'm a dick vampire aren't I?!

Apparently WB owns the UK...

8. Gothamsknight A Dark Knight

Haven't watched this since release day. I enjoyed it, but also thought it could have been better. Planning a rewatch soon!

9. Primal Slayer Let the Siren scream

Im wondering why WB hasnt greenlit the Amazon spin off that Patty has been wanting to do and be a bridge between films.

10. Micromind Registered

I want to see it, but WW84 was divisive, which matters more than Box office. But most would agree that Themyscria scenes were done well and those were some of the memorable scenes in the movie.

It looks like Patty is busy right now on her Star Wars movie, we will have to wait till next year.

#5460 Micromind, Jul 31, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
  11. Primal Slayer Let the Siren scream

But they still brought Patty back so they had to be happy enough.

The important thing about Amazons is that Patty didn't intend on directing it. She just broke the story and was going to be a producer.

12. Micromind Registered

It's her vision though and she is the main Producer, it cannot happen unless she's ready.

I would say if I was incharge of WB I would use the series to win back audience maybe get Patty to write and direct few episodes, get Gal to guest appear in it.

13. dhandler01 I'm a dick vampire aren't I?!

Yeah they won't do Amazons (if it happens) until she can be a part of it. That is her baby even if she isn't directing...

14. Primal Slayer Let the Siren scream

That's the thing though. She is ready. To produce, you are not on set every single day. her/Geoff already got the story/script down. They are just waiting for WB to move on it.

She wanted Amazons to come out before WW3 and lead into it. WB hasnt even greenlit Amazons but they've greenlit WW3.

15. UncleSam1776 Registered

I think that's the biggest issue. I think whatever plans they had in place are going to change. A lot of those creative ideas were written in 2018/2019. So much has changed with WB since that time that it wouldn't shock me if they don't follow through with the Amazons film and go with a new idea for WW3. I wouldn't mind that at all as I fear the Amazons stuff was going to deal with the Asteria storyline and eventually lead into a Gal & Lynda team up for the 3rd film. I have zero interest in that.

16. The Lazarus Pit The Boy Wonder

How did this go so horribly wrong? Not trying to be mean or insult the work people did on this, but wow what a terrible movie. I tried revisiting it and it’s still just as bad. Complete nonsense. Scrap the third movie. The most interesting villains she has left are Dr. Psycho and Circe and both of those characters could be introduced in a different movie than Ww3. If they make a 3rd one I think it will fail. You can’t come back from WW84. They burned their audience too badly there.

UncleSam1776 likes this.
  17. Predator jp blast from the past

i personally really liked the movie. i would've loved it if they had toned down the cheesiness a bit but i just love superheroe climaxes end with the heroes talking to the villain appealing to their empathy instead of endlessly punching them.

18. emc5466 Registered

Completely agree. I really wonder what Kathleen Kennedy is thinking right now knowing she’s working with the hack responsible for this train wreck. I’m very glad I didn’t pay money to watch this piece of garbage in a theater.

The Lazarus Pit likes this.
  19. Primal Slayer Let the Siren scream

If Thor can rebound from A Dark World, we can rebound from 1984. It wasnt even THAT BAD that it brought down the entire WW franchise lol.

WW has plenty of interesting villains. WW is more than Cheetah/Ares/Max Lord. We still got Silver Swan, The Circle, Dr. Psycho, Devastation, Grail, Giganta, etc.. Any character is as interesting as the writer makes them.

So the Russos shouldn't have been given any Marvel films due to them directing You, me, and Dupree?

Snow Queen and WatchProtect like this.
  20. UncleSam1776 Registered

But Marvel saw that the Thor franchise needed a major shift and change in direction. Patty writing and directing the 3rd film is just more of the same.

21. dhandler01 I'm a dick vampire aren't I?!

Maybe...it is possible she learned from her mistakes. Not everyone doubles down when fans don't like something ;)

22. WatchProtect Registered

I think they should throw JSA in the third film, (those who escape Dwayne) it worked in the animated film, it'll spice up her third movie and give Jenkins some more visually interesting characters.

They can face a Small Legion Of Doom.
    Grundy, Shade, Giganta, and Scandel Savage. With Vandal being the big bad.

It'll probably be Circe though which isnt bad but still.

23. InCali I got a pUpgrade!

My friend got a birthday card that said

Always Be Yourself
    Unless You Can Be
    Wonder Woman
    Then Always Be
    Wonder Woman

:funny:

24. Micromind Registered

Fight scenes in Aquaman were amazing, take this scene where Atlana fights Atlantean henchmen, which is why I think that James Wan would be a good choice to direct a Wonder Woman 3.

[​IMG]

25. Bruce Wayne obligatory anime seizure attack!

That was a great fight scene, no doubt.