Wonder Woman 1984 General Discussion and Speculation - Part 2

Discussion in 'Wonder Woman 1984' started by Thread Manager, Aug 2, 2018.

1. Micromind Registered

Gal's Netflix movie "Red Notice" did well too.

2. kguillou Registered

Just dropping in to say that despite being disappointed with the movie, Zimmer's score for this is EXCELLENT. Its been in my constant rotation throughout all last year. I would actually put this up there with his TDK and Man of Steel scores.

flickchick85 likes this.
  3. flickchick85 Admin of Might

It’s my favorite superhero score in ages.

kguillou likes this.
  4. Dr. From parts unknown

But weren’t there some complaints about Zimmer/Jenkins recycling John Murphy’s “Adagio in D Minor” (from the movie Sunshine)?

I always assumed that it was a matter of professional etiquette and respect that one film composer wouldn’t use another’s original score (except in obvious instances of parody, etc.). But Wikipedia tells me that “Adagio in D Minor” has been used in some other movies and TV shows — including The Lovely Bones and The Walking Dead. Also, in many commercials and trailers. But that type of “borrowing”/licensing is pretty standard.

5. flickchick85 Admin of Might

So? That has zero impact on how great the stuff he DID score was. Like you say, that kind of licensing is pretty standard.

6. Dr. From parts unknown

I meant that using movie music for commercials, trailers and ice skating routines was standard. But reusing music from one movie into another is... unusual.

I shall defer to your assessment that the original parts of Zimmer’s score are excellent. I’ve only seen WW84 once. In terms of its music, I only remember the (now-familiar) WW “theme” and Murphy’s Adagio. And the latter I found distracting because its power and beauty properly belong to another movie.

7. dhandler01 I'm a dick vampire aren't I?!

No it isn't...in fact it happens quite a lot if you really listen. Composers seem to borrow from each other a lot. (or at least that is what I hear)

flickchick85 likes this.
  8. flickchick85 Admin of Might

Yeah, and “Adagio in D Minor” is almost more famous for its use in Kick-Ass than it is for its original film. Every now and then I hear a great piece of music from one film used in another. I’ve never once considered it a knock on that film’s score/composer. Often it happens simply because the director fell in love with the temp track.

AVEITWITHJAMON and dhandler01 like this.
  9. The Lazarus Pit The Boy Wonder

I was so excited for Wiig as Cheetah. I can’t tell if it was the writing and her performance that didn’t work, or just the writing?