Wonder Woman 1984 General Discussion and Speculation - Part 2

Right, which is why it's hard to imagine how a world famous (for possibly 60+ years) woman could ever "hide in plain sight" to have an ordinary job or be a spy. Any photos of Diana from WW84 as Diana Prince do not disguise her enough for me to believe she wouldn't be recognized as Wonder Woman, so I don't get how she can be public yet. Maybe she is exposed/debuts in 84, and it's reversed. Before though? That's difficult to believe.

I also can't see the Diana who was misled by Sir Patrick, who was working for the British and thus the side she "fought" for with Steve, would ever again choose sides in a conflict.
I dunno if they're going to say Wonder Woman is going to be "world famous" though, given the times, the sexism, and the prejudice that women have had throughout the eras leading up to 84. They could just as well say Wonder Woman was a myth, or a rumor, or a legend of WWI.

I'm curious what type of work Diana will do, since she travels the world for so long. Will she continue just being an antiquities expert? Or will she do different things? Would she work ever work for a government agency, or be involved in politics, or do what she has done in the comics- working as a nurse, working in a war zone, trying to help civilians that way?

In the Lynda Carter WW she worked as a government agent in the IADC and that's where she put her powers as WW to use, to see what was going on. Gal's WW might not serve the interests of just one government but she could get involved in different governments when she has a plan, finding out info from the system from within.

Diana has the freedom to move around (and no one ever guesses she's WW, even without the glasses!) then WW suddenly appears when needed.

I always figured she would be like Duncan McLeod in Highlander the Series where he just went country to country doing various jobs and duties over time. I mean until recently it isnt like we had access to every country she could have been in Africa doing things in WW2 and few outside of those close in proximity to her would even know. Then she could have been in various Eastern Europe states post war and with the Iron Curtain half the world would have never been the wiser. If she chose to keep a lower profile it would take a lot of digging for her to be discovered. Which is why later on she actually was discovered. As times changed she didnt realize how exposed she became.

Diana being a hero in the shadows for decades is something that makes sense to me. It's what the previous films all support (e.g. she leaps into action to stop Doomsday in BvS, she rushes to stop a fire in WW), and it makes Diana's ability to be a civilian with anonymity in the set photos for WW84 make sense. I said as much a day or so ago when I compared Diana's possible heroic methods to Clark's "guardian angel" days in Man of Steel. In BvS, right after she faces Doomsday, she is still talking to Bruce about not wanting to be found and not standing with others. WW and JL elaborated by having Diana act heroically to help those in need yet speak to her concerns about cooperating with and leading others.

At the moment, I don't doubt that WW84 will expose Diana in a major way. What I think remains to be seen is whether that exposure is something that would remain permanent in the eyes of the public. Jenkins has spoken about her choice to set the film in the 80's because she wants to explore the notion of going to extremes and taking risks that come at a price. The 1984 reference, Max Lord's powers, the working title for the film being "Magic Hour," and some of the odd set pics all provide possible explanations for how and why Diana could retain her anonymity beyond the 80's despite a brief experience with greater fame.

Diana being a spy is just so ludicrous and is out of character. I haven't read much WW comics to present a factual argument supporting that, but working under the employ of any government is not a value of WW at all. She's on man's world to be Amazon's representative and to promote its values and beliefs, so she's supposed to be public knowledge. How can she be a spy if she's well known?
She was a military secretary and did undercover things for them as Diana Prince. As Wonder Woman she did her own missions and helped aid “Diana Prince” and Steve Trevor complete missions. It’s not out of character. What is out of character is her hiding and staying out of conflict to protect her fake identity. Again WW84 doesn’t seem to be having her do that. She is fighting in the White House and saving people in very public places in shiny armor.

She was a military secretary and did undercover things for them as Diana Prince. As Wonder Woman she did her own missions and helped aid “Diana Prince” and Steve Trevor complete missions. It’s not out of character. What is out of character is her hiding and staying out of conflict to protect her fake identity. Again WW84 doesn’t seem to be having her do that. She is fighting in the White House and saving people in very public places in shiny armor.

It's a film with an allusion to a famous novel about the ways in which truth can be manipulated. It co-stars a villain who has the ability to induce mass mind control. The film's working title is "Magic Hour." The very public nature of Diana's heroism does not definitely suggest she's a celebrity superhero in 1984. As with Lois knowing Clark Kent=Superman in Superman II, it could all be undone in the end.

Yeah, that may happen. Wonder Woman could be seen doing heroic things in public but in the end it could all be erased from the collective memory / reality as it was an alternate reality conjured by magic.

Still, even if that might be the case, Diana can still function as a hero maintaining an ordinary persona of Diana Prince but this time she will work away from public glare.

So that her actions will not draw much attention and maybe she is working as a spy too.

In Lynda Carter WW series, Diana worked at multiple places over the years, as a nurse, as a secretary, as spy.

I highly doubt they’d do a magic minds wipe. It renders the whole film pointless. I swear some people would like convoluted mess that than just have Wonder Woman be Wonder Woman. Mind wipes. A dream. A spell. Anything other than the precious previous, terrible out of character arcs being set right.

In Lynda Carter WW series, Diana worked at multiple places over the years, as a nurse, as a secretary, as spy.

Didn't she wear disguises, like glasses, though? My concern with Gal's Diana is that she clearly makes no such effort.

I highly doubt they’d do a magic minds wipe. It renders the whole film pointless. I swear some people would like convoluted mess that than just have Wonder Woman be Wonder Woman. Mind wipes. A dream. A spell. Anything other than the precious previous, terrible out of character arcs being set right.

It's not pointless if Diana grows as a character and learns important lessons. We'd still get to see her save people and do fantastic things. And, again, the continuity that would be contradicted would be Patty's own.

Even if some of the events are erased from reality, WW would still be successful in preventing something from happening.

In other words, things wouldn't be exactly the same as they were before the magical reality happened.

Even without anyone to witness it or celebrate it, a good act is still a good act.

Perhaps the film will look at fame and anonymity. Contrasting doing the right thing for praise and attention, against doing it simply because it is right even if you gain nothing from it.

This movie will do it's own thing, it won't have any connection to BVS or JL. They trying to convince us it's not a sequel to WW, it definitely won't be connected to the other two.

This movie will do it's own thing, it won't have any connection to BVS or JL.

As we say in Scotland, mibbies aye, mibbies naw.
Won't know for sure until the film comes out, I don't think it matters much either way.

We know for sure, because that's what they told us. It's a stand alone movie.

We know for sure, because that's what they told us. It's a stand alone movie.

Well the exact definitions of a "stand alone movie" aren't clear.
It seems like it's at least mostly keeping the continuity of the first film, this isn't a reboot where Wonder Woman leaves Themyscira in the 80's. It isn't a completely separate take on the character, it's a continuity of the previous film.

This is akin to The Dark Knight following Batman Begins, not Batman '89 following Batman '66.

If this is connected to another film, is carrying on events and character progression from another film, can it truly be called a stand alone movie?
Goodfellas is a stand alone movie. It's just a film, with no ties to other films. WW84 doesn't seem to be like that.
Unless Wonder Woman 2017 is being disregarded, WW84 isn't a true stand alone movie.

Just because we're officially told something about an upcoming DC film, doesn't mean it will come to pass.

They said it wasn't a sequel to Wonder Woman. They made the movie, they know better then people on message boards.

They said it wasn't a sequel to Wonder Woman. They made the movie, they know better then people on message boards.

That was more about Patty saying it stands on its own as a movie. It is still going to use Steve Trevor, for instance. He still died in the first movie. He and Diana still fell in love in the first movie. The movie is not going to disregard all that. Do you really think they will disregard or erase all that from the first movie?

Don't tie Patty hands behind her back. Now she has to wipe everybody minds, so they can forget WW was beating bad guys up in a public mall, running down the street in the nation capital, in the middle of riots. Yeah, lets wipe everybody minds, just to stay true to a dceu that's on life support.

Don't tie Patty hands behind her back. Now she has to wipe everybody minds, so they can forget WW was beating bad guys up in a public mall, running down the street in the nation capital, in the middle of riots. Yeah, lets wipe everybody minds, just to stay true to a dceu that's on life support.

The most important thing is that she stay true and in continuity to what she did in the first movie at least.

I will judge the film on it's own merits first than going with what the official stand is, which could be due to number of reasons.

Just throwing around some of the reasons why they are saying that its not a sequel.

- Ratner's production house was associated with the first movie, WB have cut off their association with them, which is why technically, this is not a sequel to the first movie.

- This movie's story can work independently on it's own which is why it may not be a direct sequel to the first one.

- They don't want to disclose the plot details right now so saying it's not following the first one is a way to keep us spoiler free.

You can't throw away the Origin story.

That's fine, nothing wrong with that. I'm talking about, BVS and JL. I do think WW84 will have little in common with WW other then the whole Steve thing.

I've been watching some of the Lynda Carter TV series again lately. It was funny when Diana was in trouble, she runs away, spins, and comes back saying something like "Diana sent me". Or someone else asks, "Is Diana okay?" and WW replies, "Diana's fine", with no one ever ever connecting the two. Also, many times a henchman or thug, when confronted with WW, doesn't seem to know who she is, calling her "lady" or not knowing her powers. Diana even eventually stopped wearing her glasses in the modern era, but people never made the connection to WW, who always showed up during Diana's investigations as an IADC agent.

I do think WW84 will have little in common with WW other then the whole Steve thing.
Nothing in common except Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman, Chris Pine as Steve Trevor, a continuation of the story and origin established in the first movie, the Amazons, possibly in flashbacks, with Connie Nielsen as Hippolyta and Robin Wright as Antiope etc. etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"