Wonder Woman Box Office Speculation Thread - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we want to be cynical we can say they did the same they always do, made a film because they wanted to make money. Sure it was kind of an untapped resource but I don't think they were wanting to beat Marvel by doing a female superhero film first and it certainly wasn't to tick a box. They wanted to do it because she's a character well known around the world. Infact she's an icon and they finally had a pitch they finally believed in. They didn't make it to simply make a female orientated superhero film first.

I don't believe they did either, but I do believe they knew this was the one area they had over Marvel, so the incentive was there to finally make an real effort to bring the character to screen. If this film worked they suddenly put themselves in pole position for female superhero films, and with the roster of female characters at their disposal a critical and box office win would be further incentive to tap into that roster.

Are you saying WBs only did a Wonder Woman to tick a box or am I misreading it?
Misreading. WW is one of their most popular characters. None of Marvel Studios most popular solo characters are women.

Therefore, for DC it was a good storytelling decision. For Marvel it would have been checking a box. Even as their 20th film or whatever, Captain Marvel is STILL checking a box. She's just never been a very popular character...it's like giving Black Bolt a movie. Sure, he's neat and everyone knows who he is, but a solo film?

I don't believe they did either, but I do believe they knew this was the one area they had over Marvel, so the incentive was there to finally make an real effort to bring the character to screen. If this film worked they suddenly put themselves in pole position for female superhero films, and with the roster of female characters at their disposal a critical and box office win would be further incentive to tap into that roster.

I get you and agree :up:

Misreading. WW is one of their most popular characters. None of Marvel Studios most popular solo characters are women.

Therefore, for DC it was a good storytelling decision. For Marvel it would have been checking a box. Even as their 20th film or whatever, Captain Marvel is STILL checking a box. She's just never been a very popular character...it's like giving Black Bolt a movie. Sure, he's neat and everyone knows who he is, but a solo film?

:up: cool wanted to clarify as I thought I may have been misreading.

It's smart to diversify your character line up.

You broaden your fanbase.

But Captain Marvel is part of the Sentient World Observation and Response Department (S.W.O.R.D.) so her helping to defeat an intergalactic threat like Thanos makes complete sense.

Captain Marvel will also be introduced first in the Avengers movie.

Updated WB grosses for #WonderWoman: $38.2M FRI, $35.2M SAT -8%, $29.7M SUN -16%. $103.1M opening wknd. May match ManOfSteel by end of run.

:up:

The think the "darkness" has only been a problem for DC until now because there hasn't been any contrast. There's no reason, for example, that BvS couldn't have the same tone but with a more recognizable Superman. When there's not anyone in the film who ever makes a joke and no one seems to be happy ever, you don't end up with "dark" you end up with "miserable." Big difference.

The only person in BvS who seemed like he ever went out, had fun and enjoyed life was Luthor, and he was annoying as hell. What a slog

It's Hype's Law: as a SHH thread gets longer, the probability of a Marvel vs. DC debate breaking out approaches 1.

So kinda like Godwin's law? Makes sense.

The think the "darkness" has only been a problem for DC until now because there hasn't been any contrast. There's no reason, for example, that BvS couldn't have the same tone but with a more recognizable Superman. When there's not anyone in the film who ever makes a joke and no one seems to be happy ever, you don't end up with "dark" you end up with "miserable." Big difference.

The only person in BvS who seemed like he ever went out, had fun and enjoyed life was Luthor, and he was annoying as hell. What a slog

Okay but thats not completely true. BvS was a dark and heavy film, but there was quite a few moments of humour. Alfred("In your dreams alfred") and Perry("Water...wet) mostly, had a lot of dry and witty lines. Luthor had a dark sense of humour("you will be in the hot seat in there","I'll help you stand for something"). I mean the subject matter was quite heavy so it made sense. But lets not bog this down with BvS debate.

Last edited:

There's nothing wrong with dark or light as TDK and the original Superman proved. It's all about execution. Even TDK had humour, but in BvS when there was finally a joke it felt totally out of place.

It's all about execution. Even TDK had humour, but in BvS when there was finally a joke it felt totally out of place.
Exactly!

Another thing is that the humor in the film was almost entirely sacrcasm/putdown. The kinda humor you use when you're arguing with someone or cranky.

Fantastic Sunday hold. I kinda had a gut feeling that the estimations might be under the actuals. We're really seeing the effect of the WOM now.

Last edited:
I so hope this movie beats MOS's box office run.

Fantastic Sunday hold. I kinda had a gut feeling that the estimations might be under the actuals. We're really seeing the effect of the WOM now.

I went with a group of 4 on Friday.

I'll be going back with a group of 7, and it might be end up being more than that.

Lots of people are going to be hearing about this movie who might not normally be interested.

Very good holds. It's not just the money but how you accumulate it. Reflective of WOM.

I so hope this movie beats MOS's box office run.

giphy.gif

There's nothing wrong with dark or light as TDK and the original Superman proved. It's all about execution. Even TDK had humour, but in BvS when there was finally a joke it felt totally out of place.

Well, no DC fan has to worry about BvS. The tone of these films will
Mimic WONDER WOMAN from here on out...and I'm of mixed emotions about.

Well, no DC fan has to worry about BvS. The tone of these films will
Mimic WONDER WOMAN from here on out...and I'm of mixed emotions about.

The tone of Wonder Woman was perfect for a Wonder Woman origin story. And Man of Steel had a perfect tone for a modern Superman origin story. And Batman v Superman had a perfect tone for a revenge tragedy. It was Suicide Squad's tone that didnt sit right with me. That should have been more grounded . All this is my opinion ofcourse.

As long as they keep making movies that have a tone that matches the story and script and character, and have directors that have their own voices, I'm not worried. Justice League will be the litmus test I think.

Anywho back to the WW boxoffice...

The tone of Wonder Woman was perfect for a Wonder Woman origin story. And Man of Steel had a perfect tone for a modern Superman origin story. And Batman v Superman had a perfect tone for a revenge tragedy. It was Suicide Squad's tone that didnt sit right with me. That should have been more grounded . All this is my opinion ofcourse.

As long as they keep making movies that have a tone that matches the story and script and character, and have directors that have their own voices, I'm not worried. Justice League will be the litmus test I think.

I wish I was that optimistic about the universe moving forward but Hollywood likes to copy what works and WB seeing the euphoria of WONDER WOMAN this weekend will have them thinking that this is how it should be done moving forward.

It's the same idea/criticism that got them in trouble with some of you guys in the first place when it was revealed that the DC films going forward after the end of RISES would mimic the Nolan Trilogy. I mean, I heard enough people during the time not liking MAN OF STEEL simply for that reason.

We'll see after JUSTICE LEAGUE.

Completely agree. SS is the one that really felt odd because of studio intervention...

Good signs, and hope we get a good Monday number.

Great news that WW crossed 100 million. 4th DCEU movie to do it in a row. Fantastic achievement for Wonder Woman. So happy for Gal, Jenkins and everyone inviolved with the production of the movie. All we need nao is some sexy legs and you can bet that Gal is gonna give it to us. :D :D

HAPPY_HAPPY.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back