Wonder Woman Box Office Speculation Thread - Part 2

Discussion in 'Wonder Woman' started by Thread Manager, Jun 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thread Manager Moderator

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is [split]530251[/split]

2. Thread Manager Moderator

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is [split]490339[/split]

3. iEquinox Registered

Would be pleasantly surprised if it makes it to $70M in China after sunday. $80M by sunday doesn't seem like it's possible to me.

4. Marathon Registered

I would consider $70m from China a disappointment after the amount of promotion work they did over there. But we'll take what we can.

5. BaelaTargaryen Registered

6. Marathon Registered

If Wondy's numbers get continuously revised upwards, then all the better of course!

The OW tracking for the Mummy was put as low as $35m today. So, domestically it's unlikely to be a competitor, but internationally it unfortunately will probably take number one spot.

7. iEquinox Registered

Are you saying $70M in China after next sunday would be disappointing to you? Or are you misinterpreting my post and talking about the final number?
    Because I think $70M after next weekend would be pretty good after a 38.8M opening weekend.

8. Marathon Registered

Yes, I was talking about the final number. Sorry for the confusion.

Speaking of which, what is your prediction for the final China gross?

9. brandeezy89 Registered

China isn't a disappointment when BvS made 90M

10. dhandler01 Half breed!

Seriously...that low? Wasnt it tracking at $40 million 2 weeks ago?

Must be why they announced two more movies...to try and juice up people's interest ahead of the reviews.

11. Marathon Registered

12. Marathon Registered

Yeah, maybe "disappointment" is a stretch, but I just would like a bit of buffer from China for the international numbers, because while the domestic performance is terrific, the international performance so far is "only" solid. Having said that, I understand word of mouth should be pretty great everywhere, so even if the international OWs aren't/weren't sky-high, the legs should compensate.

13. iEquinox Registered

Should get close to 80M in the end, but it's hard to get a read on what the weekday numbers mean exactly because many schools are out in China to prepare for exams. Anything over 77M in the end would be pretty good because that would give it a multiplier of 2x which is what most well received superhero movies get these days.

For comparison, GotG2 opened with 48.6M and ended with 99.3M, so that got a 2.04 multiplier. (BvS got a 1.72x multiplier last year)

14. Marathon Registered

Thanks, that was very informative!

15. BaelaTargaryen Registered

16. SomeOldGuy Registered

Yeah, Mummy just blew the OD record in Korea to bits.

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/the-mummy-box-office-korea-1202455838/

17. DieSmiling Can't Be Stopped

18. rayc1971 Registered

we are looking at 50 mill 2nd weekend and retain the number 1 spot thats good only a 50% drop normally these movies have 60 to 70% drop but wonder woman will still draw the female crowd in so 50% sounds about right.the mummy has dropped from 40mill to about 35mill dont see this launching that dark universe franchise like they thought

19. Tony Stark Armored Avenger!

Bigger drop for Monday than I would have liked to see, but a solid number. Pretty much same number as Guardians v1, but for Guardians it was only a 54% drop, -60% for WW. I expect the discount Tuesday numbers to rebound better, but this is looking more like a -55%, which is good, no one should knock that. It's likely going to repeat at no. 1 unless Mummy drastically outperforms the tracking, and I don't think anyone expects that.

Again a 3x multi would be great, but let's just keep things in check, that is so difficult for a film to do in June, unless you have a massive opening like Jurrasic World, where the sheer momentum pretty much pulls it through. If this were August WW is a no brainer 3X film, but I think once it starts loosing the 3D/Imax revenue by the end of June it's going to be hard.

20. metaphysician Not a Side-Kick

Re: Mummy- blerg. I was really hoping that would crater.

Though wait, if its out in South Korea, how come there aren't any reviews up yet?

21. MrGamer2558 Registered

Grace Randolph said the embargo is lifting at noon EST tomorrow. It was rumored to be lifted on Thursday, but apparently they moved it up.

22. Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

Does WONDER WOMAN’s Record Box Office Opening Hide a Critical Disappointment?

https://www.newsarama.com/34768-does-wonder-womans-record-opening-hide-a-critical-factor.html

23. Marvin Registered

BvS had a huge amount of screens pulled soon after it's release for more home grown productions. What's more DC has had hard time getting a footing in china unlike other big franchises. Doesn't help that stuff like SS and TDK didn't get china releases.
    The big stuff see's upwards of 200mill there some 300 to 400.

The decent performers hit like 90.

24. jmc away for a while

25. dhandler01 Half breed!

Yeah that article is awful. Newsarama has gone downhill the last few years. They used to be my go to. (Vaneta is still awesome though)

You know how I know it is awful, because it ignores something obvious...that maybe men didnt fail to come out and see it in the numbers they assume (based solely on the numbers of other movies) but that women just outpaced them more than they give them credit for.

This nitpicky type stuff is what trolls use to try and prove things arent as good as they seem. The movie is a financial and critical success...who cares if Iron Man or SS beat it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.