Wonder Woman Box Office Speculation Thread - Part 2

Discussion in 'Wonder Woman' started by Thread Manager, Jun 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StormC Custom User Title?

I feel like beating Winter Soldier is almost a sure thing at this point. Would be great if it can beat Suicide Squad's WW as well.

2. -Arya- World’s Strangest Heroes

Coming in as the 2nd best box office performance for the DCEU should send an unequivocal message to WB. Batman isn't the answer to everything.

3. Blitzkrieg Registered

The WWI setting didn't damage the prospects of Wonder Woman. Even if it did, it was very minimal.

The reason why WW couldn't do better in Germany is the lack of big names (recognizable stars) in the movie. Gal Gadot isn't well known and the other actors aren't big stars, so that didn't favor WW. Also German audience didn't find the action very appealing, so there's that as well.

4. Vlyse Registered

I think it will, I see 750 being thrown around more often. (SS made 745M) The discussion has moved to 800 being the ceiling.

5. Flemm Registered

Considering it's not a mash-up and not a sequel, just an origin story, I think the overall numbers are going to end up being pretty awesome.

The only movie of that type that will clearly have done better is Spider-Man, and that was a very different era for these movies.

Closest comparison will probably end up being Guardians, which did better overseas, but WW will most likely end up with higher domestic numbers.

And WW will be pretty close to Deadpool, domestically.

So it's lining up with some of the best franchise-starters. Something like the Winter Soldier comparison really undersells WW, as that movie is a post-Avengers sequel that did 259M domestic. So the similarity in total numbers at the moment is a little misleading.

#955 Flemm, Jun 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  6. Ozbridge Registered

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2017/06/20/box-office-wonder-woman-has-topped-300-million-overseas/#75217f7236d3

Uhm, a 3.5-3.8M 3rd Monday (42% drop from last Monday) is rather bad; not bad for other movies of course, but it feels like WW is hurt by the new releases on weekdays more than expected.

7. Wanda Detroit Registered

8. StormC Custom User Title?

The article itself states this drop is in line with other family movies with long legs, so it isn't really any cause for concern.

9. Wanda Detroit Registered

Yeah, Secret Life of Pets and the Jungle Book went on to make $700-800 million. What's the problem?

10. Flemm Registered

In essence they are not even bothering to compare it to recent superhero movies, I guess.

If it can keep pulling in business like an animated film on weekdays, that's going to be very positive.

11. SomeOldGuy Registered

12. iEquinox Registered

I don't think those are the real numbers.
    But if they are then yeah that would be pretty bad. Last monday was affected significantly by the NBA game. WoW drop should not be that high.

But I'm pretty sure the real monday number will be significantly higher than that.

13. Kelly #RESIST

I think another thing that is helping is the fact that the "word of mouth" is letting parents know that this is a kid friendly movie, there is really nothing in it that should discourage them from bringing their kids, unlike some recent DCEU projects.

A lot of "family movie review" websites have been quite favorable in their reviews...

Focus On The Family probably the most conservative website on the internet stated....

14. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Yep, that's more important to parents than whether the film is good (which it also happens to be).

15. Kelly #RESIST

Last year the big Halloween costumes for girls were Harley Quinn and Supergirl, this year holy cow they better have LOTS of Wonder Woman in stock.

16. Wanda Detroit Registered

The Jungle Book(opened to $103 like WW) made 4 million on its second Monday and went on to gross $966 million(i thought it was 800 before). So how is the bad?

You compare Monday to Monday not weekend to Monday. The Jungle book had 18 million on its second Sunday and then got that 4 million the next Mon. Still made almost a billion. Wonder Woman is playing like an animated family movie. Again how is that number, if it is true, bad?

17. Dieles Registered

Jungle Book been in theaters for a very long time (6 months)

18. whenforeverisnt Registered

The Jungle Book is going to have bigger international numbers than Wonder Woman though.

19. Dr. From parts unknown

How do they deal with the pagan polytheism...? :cwink:

20. Osiris-Rex Head-Kick

Plus Europe is experiencing a heat wave, and unlike America, a lot of theaters in Europe don't have air conditioning. So people are less inclined to sit in a hot, stuffy theater.

21. Ozbridge Registered

But Jungle Book is a Spring movie so it definitely dropped more on Monday compared to a Summer movie like WW. And even though both WW and Secret life of Pets are both summer movies WW has been having much better leg than SLOP since release date (BO after 3rd weekend is 275M for WW anad 261M for SLOP even though SLOP's OW is a bit higher). So if WW all of a sudden starts to have SLOP drop then it's a sign of stunted leg (and SLOP's 370M final is thanks to 30% drop starting from 4th weekend, not 51% and 42% on 2nd and 3rd weekend).

No there isn't any problem if WW makes 364M or 368M domestic like JB or SLOP (though I think 364M is like a worst case scenario)

Definitely after the 2 amazing weekend drops (and good weekdays) standard is adjusted for WW. A 45% drop for a traditional CBM is "OMG superb drop!!! Phenomenon!!!" but for WW that's like "Water is wet".

But a 3.8M Monday would mean 70%+ drop from Sunday and WW's Sunday is only a 5% drop from Saturday (not 5% INCREASE like Pirates or GotG). With such small Father Day bump I expect Monday to hold better.

Yeah that number seems a bit sketchy I'm not trusting Mendelson's "WB source" here.

Edit: He didn't even say he had source he basically said it "looks like" WW made 3.5M-3.8M yesterday. I don't know how he could say a movie "looks like" it made an x number of dollar unless he reads straight from Comscore.

#971 Ozbridge, Jun 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  22. Wanda Detroit Registered

That wasn't my point. The point was it's Sunday to Monday numbers.

23. gerrym51 Registered

24. Ozbridge Registered

Yes but if WW indeed gets 3.5-3.8M for Monday that's a 70%+ drop (the 42% drop mentioned in Mendelson's article is drop from last Monday, not drop from Sunday like in The Number's chart).

Btw how the hell can every movie even include Wimpy Kid and Snatched already has number but WW hasn't? Hopefully that means WB has too much money to count.

25. iEquinox Registered

No it wouldn't, 42% WoW drop would be a -75.5% on that list. Which would actually be the biggest drop of all movies on that list..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.