Wonder Woman Box Office Speculation Thread - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
The crappy June has helped a lot. If June was like July with 3-4 other guaranteed hits, I think it'd be more of a 315-330M finish instead of 360M+.

Yeah a lot of its potential competition has flopped which has given WW an opportunity, and it has taken full advantage!

800M is the tough but possible target now...

380 int + 370 dom is expected I think.

Yeah a lot of its potential competition has flopped which has given WW an opportunity, and it has taken full advantage!

To be fair WW had more tomatoes than Baywatch, Pirates, The Mummy and TF combined. Lol.

Its definitely out performing even the most optimistic numbers! And I couldn't be happier! This is how it measures up to the other 3 DCEU films at the same period:

MOS (259.7) vs WW (289.1)
SS (269.0) vs WW (289.1)
BVS (302.4) vs WW (289.1)

It's already way ahead of MOS and SS! WW will easily pass BVS at the same period of time by Saturday since that movie crashed and burned (weakest legs of the DCEU). When all is said and done Wonder Woman will easily be the highest grossing DCEU film domestically by a wide margin!

Yes, will overtake the top DCEU film to date while still at weekends in the $20ms. Still has a long way to go. :cool:

It was definitely a wise move from WB to change its release date and release it 2weeks in advance. Definitely helped the BO.

Also 750M seems like a real possibility now? Thats so amazing.

You know what? I really do think this movie is now officially important.

Whatever happens with the future of the DCEU, Wonder Woman's impact is undeniable. I think it'll end up being the stand out project of the entire thing when all is said and done. A critical darling, a box office smash, an empowering movie for women, a superhero origin done right... It's a cultural phenomenon. I think 750m is a lock.

800M is the tough but possible target now...

380 int + 370 dom is expected I think.

That'd put it within 80m of BvS. Amazing.

Whatever happens with the future of the DCEU, Wonder Woman's impact is undeniable. I think it'll end up being the stand out project of the entire thing when all is said and done. A critical darling, a box office smash, an empowering movie for women, a superhero origin done right... It's a cultural phenomenon. I think 750m is a lock.

Its importance cannot be denied. Even a year or two people were saying "Oh they cant do X film because a female action lead doesnt sell". Infact studio execs who latch on to the latest fad might even greenlight some female led blockbusters, and it might actually turn out to be a good thing.

When you consider that this movie also had to reverse a trend in terms of critical reception and audience reception (to at least some extent) of the DCEU movies, I think that is particularly impressive.

I don't think there was much room for this movie to just be "ok."

So how much is this no track for worldwide?
700M to 750M?

When you consider that this movie also had to reverse a trend in terms of critical reception and audience reception (to at least some extent) of the DCEU movies, I think that is particularly impressive.

I don't think there was much room for this movie to just be "ok."

It literally is the template for the DCEU from now on. And quite right too :up: It's the way the damn thing should have started in the first place. We've had a few misfires, but hopefully those days are over now. With Whedon shepherding JL and Wonder Woman's success, I am more positive about the DCEU than I have been since before BvS was announced.

Its importance cannot be denied. Even a year or two people were saying "Oh they cant do X film because a female action lead doesnt sell". Infact studio execs who latch on to the latest fad might even greenlight some female led blockbusters, and it might actually turn out to be a good thing.

Yep. I think Wonder Woman could end up being as influential as The Dark Knight- for vastly different reasons, obviously :)

Yep. I think Wonder Woman could end up being as influential as The Dark Knight- for vastly different reasons, obviously :)

I said back in one of the earliest versions of the "All Things" thread that if the movie is good it will not only be an event, bu it could be a cultural phenomenon. Wonder Woman is a known name, an iconic figure and a feminist icon. She has brand recognition outside of comic fandom which puts her on a plain equal to the other big dogs like Superman, Batman and Spidey. Add in decades of anticipation and it is a powder keg waiting to explode if the movie is done right.

That is why it is awesome she is leading the way. She is setting the highest of standards. This movie got a whole new subset of fans (actually multiple the diversity of the audience is awesome) to get into these movie which bodes well for other movies like Batgirl and Captain Marvel. I doubt either of those movies do nearly as well though. (not a knock, they just arent Wonder Woman)

That is why it is awesome she is leading the way. She is setting the highest of standards. This movie got a whole new subset of fans (actually multiple the diversity of the audience is awesome) to get into these movie which bodes well for other movies like Batgirl and Captain Marvel. I doubt either of those movies do nearly as well though. (not a knock, they just arent Wonder Woman)

Really does make you wonder why it took so bloody long for this movie to get made. Highlights just how bankrupt Hollywood is creatively. by and large.

Wonder Woman should have been made years ago. In fact, it should have been the film that started the DCEU.

It's certainly the standout of the DCEU so far, on all fronts.

The other thing going for it is the press narratives, they WANT this to work, it's a good thing Patty did it, and the whole thing caught fire and exploded, otherwise the backlash would have been...indescribable.

Wonder Woman should help the DCEU overall, but this movie is also just a great franchise-starter on its own, in terms of how its performing.

By comparison, just glancing at the numbers for the Hunger Games, the first movie made around 667M worldwide. WW is not going to catch that movie domestically, but it's going to be a very respectable comparison, particularly since that movie had a 150M opening weekend.

Catching Fire (the second movie) is the highest grossing movie in that series (around 864M worldwide). That could be a realistic goal for the WW sequel, which will most likely have a bigger opening weekend than this movie.

The int cume should improve like a hit sequel too, if JL is a hit then solo movies might get an Avengers bump too, hopefully.

I don't know if WW2 can catch the origin's US b.o. though, this one is insane, and the competition is insanely weak as well. Maybe 380M/480M split next time? But again if JL hits....

If Justice League is a hit both financially and Critically, WW 2 has the potential to earn even more then WW, as it will get a boost from both movies, making movies like Batgirl, Gotham City Sirens, Suicide Squad 2 and Black Adam instead of Wonder Woman 2 will take away that momentum.

4m on Thursday according to Gitesh
Yeah, here's the link:
https://twitter.com/GiteshPandya/status/878244352669007873

Great Thursday number. Increase from Wednesday, 33.6% WoW drop. Looks like TF5 definitely affected Wonder Woman on Tuesday and Wednesday. TF5 is not doing well, it will probably not even reach $60M over the 5-day opening. That's even lower than TF2's opening day($62M) alone.

Weekend of $25M+ seems very likely now. As Gitesh says, it could do triple what BvS made on its 4th weekend (9M). The difference in legs between the two movies is ridiculous lol.

Yeah, here's the link:

Great Thursday number. Increase from Wednesday, 33.6% WoW drop. Looks like TF5 definitely affected Wonder Woman on Tuesday and Wednesday. TF5 is not doing well, it will probably not even reach $60M over the 5-day opening. That's even lower than TF2's opening day($62M) alone.

Weekend of $25M+ seems very likely now. As Gitesh says, it could do triple what BvS made on its 4th weekend (9M). The difference in legs between the two movies is ridiculous lol.

Reviews and WOM on TF5 is toxic. A lot of people turning away and straight into Wondy's arms :)

Yeah, here's the link:

Thanks for getting the link for me haha. It's hard to do this on my phone while at work haha

Reviews and WOM on TF5 is toxic. A lot of people turning away and straight into Wondy's arms :)
It's getting the worst reviews in the Transformers franchise. And that's saying a lot.

TF5's average rating is actually lower than Fant4stic's average rating.

So far this summer, the only two big movies that haven't either underperformed or flopped are both superhero movies, which is funny after years of talk about "superhero fatigue". Seems like there's "non-superhero fatigue" instead. Are people getting sick of movies without superheroes in them? :o

Really does make you wonder why it took so bloody long for this movie to get made. Highlights just how bankrupt Hollywood is creatively. by and large.

Wonder Woman should have been made years ago. In fact, it should have been the film that started the DCEU.

It kind of is the film that started the DCEU lol.

It's getting the worst reviews in the Transformers franchise. And that's saying a lot.

TF5's average rating is actually lower than Fant4stic's average rating.

So far this summer, the only two big movies that haven't either underperformed or flopped are both superhero movies, which is funny after years of talk about "superhero fatigue". Seems like there's "non-superhero fatigue" instead. Are people getting sick of movies without superheroes in them? :o

I am curious how TF overseas will do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"