Wonder Woman Box Office Speculation Thread - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sunday drop was unexpected, but same thing happened to SM:Homecoming too, so many movies suffered unusual Sunday drop.

So, no chance to pass The Hunger Games :csad:

I'm not sure why you would say that.

It's total is currently several million higher than that movie in the same number of days, and it is still making more money per day.

It won't be easy, since that movie hung around in a small number of theaters for quite a while, allowing it to creep to around 408M.

But August is slow and WW may get a little boost around Labor Day. So it's really no more or less likely than it was a few days ago.

Time Warner Beats Q2 Earnings Expectations Helped By ‘Wonder Woman’

Warner Bros stood out with a 12% increase in revenues to $2.99 billion. In addition to the theatrical success of Wonder Woman, the unit benefited from home entertainment sales for The Lego Batman Movie and carryover from Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them.

Still, the studio’s operating income fell 28% to $223 million. Rising film, print and advertising costs depressed the bottom line. In addition, last year included a $90 million gain, mostly from the sale of Flixster to Comcast’s Fandango.

http://deadline.com/2017/08/time-wa...-expectations-helped-wonder-woman-1202140615/

WW grossed an estimated $575k on Tuesday. 34% drop from last Tuesday as well as a 32.5% increase from Monday

Last edited:
Well, the Tuesday to Tuesday drop (34%) is on the higher side. I was thinking more like a (27-30)% drop. 32.5% increase from Monday is good tho.

Well, the Tuesday to Tuesday drop (33.6%) is on the higher side. I was thinking more like a (27-30)% drop. 33% increase from Monday is good tho.

I too expected a hold around the same percentage, but 33% is still great! However, a sub 30% hold would have been sexier haha

Well, the Tuesday to Tuesday drop (34%) is on the higher side. I was thinking more like a (27-30)% drop. 32.5% increase from Monday is good tho.

Based on Monday and Tuesday's gross, has your weekday estimation changed, or are you sticking with your initial $2.1 figure?

Based on Monday and Tuesday's gross, has your weekday estimation changed, or are you sticking with your initial $2.1 figure?

I'm thinking somewhere between (1.8-1.85) million atm.

Monday - 430k, Tuesday - 570k, Wednesday - 425k & Thursday - 400k.

I'm thinking somewhere between (1.8-1.85) million atm.

Monday - 430k, Tuesday - 570k, Wednesday - 425k & Thursday - 400k.

1.8 to 1.9 were the figures I kept coming up with after the weekend estimates. However, your 2.1 prediction was what I had hoped she would earn. That said, 1.8 would put her over $397 which is totes cool!

This weekend could surprise in a positive way. The new releases may be even weaker competition than last weekend.

Theater count will play a role, but I doubt that WW will lose a ton of theaters. It's mostly in the bigger theaters now, I would think, and its per theater number last weekend was still above 2K.

Valerian will mostly likely lose a ton of theaters, I would guess, as its per theater number was already under 2K last weekend. Less than WW, Baby Driver and The Big Sick.

This weekend could surprise in a positive way. The new releases may be even weaker competition than last weekend.

Theater count will play a role, but I doubt that WW will lose a ton of theaters. It's mostly in the bigger theaters now, I would think, and its per theater number last weekend was still above 2K.

Valerian will mostly likely lose a ton of theaters, I would guess, as its per theater number was already under 2K last weekend. Less than WW, Baby Driver and The Big Sick.

This weekend could certainly surprise us all, but I think she will have a mid 30's drop. I noticed that of the top ten films, she experienced the lowest Monday-Tuesday increase :(

Last edited:

I can't believe quite how badly Valerian is doing.

To my everlasting surprise, WW is still showing at my local Cinemark. It's getting a single weekday show and four on saturdays and sundays. While I'm sure some movies like Avenger and Force Awakens got runs this long here, this is the longest one I can actually put a number on.

Valerian is going to lose probably 2,000 screens. It will easily be the big loser this weekend. Which is too bad. It isn't a good movie but IMO it's worth a watch on the big screen just for the eye candy.

The Dark Tower seems like another incoming bomb...

To my everlasting surprise, WW is still showing at my local Cinemark. It's getting a single weekday show and four on saturdays and sundays. While I'm sure some movies like Avenger and Force Awakens got runs this long here, this is the longest one I can actually put a number on.

Valerian is going to lose probably 2,000 screens. It will easily be the big loser this weekend. Which is too bad. It isn't a good movie but IMO it's worth a watch on the big screen just for the eye candy.

This Thursday is the last day that my city will screen Wonder Woman :( so sad! But thats okay, because I've seen it six times :)

I noticed that of the top ten films, she experienced the lowest Monday-Tuesday increase :(

Keep in mind that you're comparing a movie in its 9th week of release to movies that have only been out 1-3 weeks, or a little more. Of the top 10, Baby Driver is the closest, and it's only in week 6.

So looking at recent big June movies is probably a more useful comparison in a lot of ways. An example would be Finding Dory, which was in about the same number of theaters in week 9, making a little less than half of what WW is doing on a daily basis.

I can't believe quite how badly Valerian is doing.

Not sure why they insisted on releasing it on the same weekend as Dunkirk. It's not a well-known property. Combined with mediocre reviews, that makes it pretty tough to get traction at such a busy time of year.

Last edited:
Keep in mind that you're comparing a movie in its 9th week of release to movies that have only been out 1-3 weeks, or a little more. Of the top 10, Baby Driver is the closest, and it's only in week 6.

So looking at recent big June movies is probably a more useful comparison in a lot of ways. An example would be Finding Dory, which was in about the same number of theaters in week 9, making a little less than half of what WW is doing on a daily basis.

That's a great point that I didn't consider when comparing other percentages. I guess I still have WW atop a pedestal where I expect it's percentages to be higher or lower than films that have been out less than WW. Thanks for reeling me back into the sane boat!

Not sure why they insisted on releasing it on the same weekend as Dunkirk. It's not a well-known property. Combined with mediocre reviews, that makes it pretty tough to get traction at such a busy time of year.
Disastrous decision making there!

This Thursday is the last day that my city will screen Wonder Woman :( so sad! But thats okay, because I've seen it six times :)

There, there. Never fear, Bill is here.

0g50kN.gif

But where is TJ Hooker? He hasn't posted for a while.

BOT is projecting 40M+ OW and Justin Kroll says it'll be a huge win for that movie, it'd be interesting to see what happens

BOT is projecting 40M+ OW and Justin Kroll says it'll be a huge win for that movie, it'd be interesting to see what happens

According to Mendelson, it's not a very expensive movie. I think he said something about a 66M budget in a recent article. I don't know if that's precisely right, but if that's the ballpark figure, then 40M would certainly be a good enough opening.

Box Office Report predicts a 2.2 (34%) 10th weekend bringing the cume to $399.3M. That is pretty close to my prediction ($2.1M) and she is guaranteed to cross $400M by next Wednesday!! Next week will be crazy as this forum (hopefully) will be full of TJ Hooker gifs and hopefully TJ Hooker himself!!!! We miss you, dude!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"