Wonder Woman Box Office Speculation Thread - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes she's been bugging me about that. Will have to arrange as soon as I get free. :up:

"You're a monster Iceman, and I'm going to stop you"

nd-QW1.gif

Should be roughly $10M more worldwide for a final worldwide total in the low $820M range.

Just an excellent run. I doubt WB saw it doing what it did in their wildest dreams. None of us could have predicted these kind of legs because they are so rare and unheard of for modern comic films. It's the only one to have those kind of legs since Spidey in 2002 and only a few other types of films have managed it during that time.

Better legs than The Force Awakens domestically. Certainly not a match for the box office might of Star Wars, but to top $400M after a strong but somewhat modest opening weekend (compared to other big comic films -Man of Steel, Suicide Squad, and BvS had better opening weekends) speaks volumes. If BvS has managed even Man of Steel's 2.496 multiplier, it would have done better than WW (and that was better than SS' multiplier).

Should be roughly $10M more worldwide for a final worldwide total in the low $820M range.

Wonderful. This film should be a lesson to every movie studio that you don't need every film to have massive opening weekend to be a success.

Just an excellent run. I doubt WB saw it doing what it did in their wildest dreams. None of us could have predicted these kind of legs because they are so rare and unheard of for modern comic films. It's the only one to have those kind of legs since Spidey in 2002 and only a few other types of films have managed it during that time.

Better legs than The Force Awakens domestically. Certainly not a match for the box office might of Star Wars, but to top $400M after a strong but somewhat modest opening weekend (compared to other big comic films -Man of Steel, Suicide Squad, and BvS had better opening weekends) speaks volumes. If BvS has managed even Man of Steel's 2.496 multiplier, it would have done better than WW (and that was better than SS' multiplier).
Guardians of the Galaxy actually had slightly better legs than Spider-Man(2002). And yeah, its very rare to see multipliers this high, and I don't think anyone saw it coming from a superhero movie, which are usually more frontloaded than other movies.

As a sequel to a well received movie, Wonder Woman 2 should have a higher opening weekend and a lower multiplier.

Wonder Woman will soon pass IM3 (unadjusted), but look at the opening of CA 3 and IM 3 !

robert-downey-jr.gif

It looks like a miracle that WW has managed to pass the domestic totals of CA 3 and IM3 given it's comparatively low opening.

With WW overtaking IM3 today, all of the DC movies in the top 5 are solo films. It will be interesting to see if JL can overtake WW at the domestic box office. If it doesn't, I think WW will remain the top domestic DCEU movie for a while. The only DCEU movie that I can see surpassing it is a solo Batman film or the WW sequel.

With WW overtaking IM3 today, all of the DC movies in the top 5 are solo films. It will be interesting to see if JL can overtake WW at the domestic box office. If it doesn't, I think WW will remain the top domestic DCEU movie for a while. The only DCEU movie that I can see surpassing it is a solo Batman film or the WW sequel.

JL, WW sequel and solo Batman movie have the potential to overtake WW origin movie.

JL, WW sequel and solo Batman movie have the potential to overtake WW origin movie.

If that happened the DCEU would be in great shape. The WW sequel might find it harder domestically without that first time out thing, especially being first major female superhero film.

What the heck is Wolf Warriors and how did that come out of nowhere to suddenly overtake Wonder Woman as the fifth highest grossing movie of 2017? Now Wonder Woman is in 6th place. I haven't even heard of this Wolf Warriors. How did it even get such a high gross at the box office so quickly?

What the heck is Wolf Warriors and how did that come out of nowhere to suddenly overtake Wonder Woman as the fifth highest grossing movie of 2017? Now Wonder Woman is in 6th place. I haven't even heard of this Wolf Warriors. How did it even get such a high gross at the box office so quickly?

Chinese action film that made most of its money in China. WW will probably drop to 7th place once Spider-Man: Homecoming opens in China. I figure it is making the typical $85-110M most MCU films do in China.

Apparently it's a Chinese patriotic movie with Crossbones (Brock Rumlow) in it. Chinese audience are all over the movie probably because of the patriotic elements to go with the heavy action stuff. It's the 2nd biggest movie ever in a single market, ahead of Avatar and behind The Force Awakens.

It didn't really come out of nowhere either, it's been all over the headlines for weeks, and we've even talked about it in this thread :p

Friday - $445,000
Saturday - $780,000
Sunday - $760,000
Monday - $495,000
----------------------
$2,481,000

Chinese action film that made most of its money in China. WW will probably drop to 7th place once Spider-Man: Homecoming opens in China. I figure it is making the typical $85-110M most MCU films do in China.

I think SM:H is doing more than 110 million if pre-sales are anything to go by. Even the conservative OW predictions are saying that Spidey is set for a 55 million OW and with a 2.0+ multiplier, SM:H should go over 110 million.

Friday - $445,000
Saturday - $780,000
Sunday - $760,000
Monday - $495,000
----------------------
$2,481,000
So Sunday came in higher than the estimate, which is not too surprising. They're going with a 35% Monday drop, so the Monday estimate is on the conservative side as well.

So Sunday came in higher than the estimate, which is not too surprising. They're going with a 35% Monday drop, so the Monday estimate is on the conservative side as well.

It certainly did! Since Monday's estimate is on the conservative side, does this mean that her total 4-day weekend could be higher than estimated?

It should interesting to see how much she earns for the rest of the week. I'm sure her Tuesday might be just above 100k, while the rest of the week will be below that. But, we shall wait and see. I'm still hoping for a 4x multiplier, if not, I will be more than happy with whatever she earns at the end of her run :) really happy!

Last edited:
Look at the movies it has passed at Domestic Box Office ! All heavyweights !

ww5.png

It certainly did! Since Monday's estimate is on the conservative side, does this mean that her total 4-day weekend could be higher than estimated?

It should interesting to see how much she earns for the rest of the week. I'm sure her Tuesday might be just above 100k, while the rest of the week will be below that. But, we shall wait and see. I'm still hoping for a 4x multiplier, if not, I will be more than happy with whatever she earns at the end of her run :) really happy!
Yeah, it could be higher. And if it is lower it shouldn't be too far off at least. Comparing to Jurassic World, the average drop on Labor Day for the top 10 in 2015 was 21%, but Jurassic World dropped 40.4% on Labor Day. So even if Wonder Woman's number comes in lower than estimated, it would probably still be on pace with Jurassic World. And as long as it keeps up with Jurassic World's drops, it's still on track for the 4x multiplier:

With the adjusted estimate, following Jurassic World's Labor Day 3-day multiplier would get Wonder Woman to a final total of $413.08M, which would be enough for the 4x multiplier. As long as Wonder Woman's gross is 0.737+ times as much as Jurassic World's gross at the same amount of days after Labor Day Sunday, it's still on track for the 4x multiplier. With that information it should be pretty easy to keep track of how it's doing on any given day.

wow, hitting that top 5 spot.
with that opening and without really any cameos or team ups. A solo origin.
An unknown women in front and another behind the camera and following "the worst movie ever made".

Color me impressed.
The again i was impressed at 300mill.
The top five dom list is about to get interesting over the next little bit.

As expected, a good year for cbms in general but dc in particular, with this alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"