Wonder Woman Box Office Speculation Thread - Part 6

For the new thread:

Wonder Woman is the 5th biggest CBM ever

source_5.gif

& Wonder Woman stands at 20th in the All-Time un-adjusted domestic list

21272582_1376230565808386_409196511983789370_n.jpg

How much more can WW made worldwide? Can it surpass Spider-Man (2002)?

Can it surpass Spider-Man (2002)?

It can but that depends a lot on the legs of the domestic BO after the Blu-Ray/DVD release and the overall legs in Japan.

How much more can WW made worldwide?

At the end of the 14th weekend, WW is at 813.2 million. It'll need around 8.5 million to reach Spider-Man '02 (821.7 million).

WW has collected 7.4 million from Japan. It has a good chance of collecting at least (12-13) million from there. So WW can still gross around 5 million more from Japan.

That leaves us with 3.5 million which WW would hafta get from the domestic BO. If WW can out-pace JW like it has been doing after the LD weekend, it'll probably make it to 3.5 million. The race for the world-wide final total will be close one for sure. It'll go down to the wire. In any case, Spider-Man's achievement back in 2002 is far bigger and more impressive but if WW does manage to beat Spidey, it'll be nice record.

So it's possible to crack the Top 10 WW Comic Book Movies however it'll be short lived because of Homecoming.

So it's possible to crack the Top 10 WW Comic Book Movies however it'll be short lived because of Homecoming.

SM:H will be around 328.7 million after this up-coming weekend. It'll add around 1.5 million in the 4 weekdays (OS) and then add further (0.8-0.9) million (OS) during the weekend and debut to at least 60 million in China (no clear idea because I haven't followed Chinese pre-sales). So Total after this weekend will be around [ 328.7 + 1.5 + 0.9 + 60 + 422.2 (OS) ]=813.3 million. So with a bigger OW in China, it's entirely possible that SM:H will already pass Wonder Woman in world-wide figures and gets to the 10th spot first. Even if SM:H has a similar OW in China to that of my estimate, it should easily go past WW during the weekdays (Monday 11th or Tuesday 12th).

Domestic: $409,769,134
+ Foreign: $404,600,000
= Worldwide: $814,369,134

How is Thor the Dark World so high up? If that project (which was originally to be directed by Patty Jenkins) remains higher up than Wonder Woman, then that's almost like saying that it was a better or more well-received movie than WW.

If that project (which was originally to be directed by Patty Jenkins) remains higher up than Wonder Woman, then that's almost like saying that it was a better or more well-received movie than WW.

I mean in OS markets it was. I'm not making direct comparison but TDW was certainly very big. Considering TDW was in 2013, makes it even more impressive. The ER went did go down in late 2014 but the OS performance of TDW was still very good indeed. It's a high concept (sci-fi/fantasy) movie featuring an established Superhero who already had his own solo movie. The movie released world-wide during November, so the holiday legs must've helped as well. Plus considering the Avengers (where Thor had a substantial role/one of the leads) bump in OS territories, TDW was always expected to collect big. No surprises there.

Yeah I noticed some other numbers on that list don't seem right either.

Here's the current international list with boxofficemojo's numbers:

86zFxIM.png

I think Wonder Woman could have earned some more at US Box Office but the combo of Mayweather vs McGregor match, Hurricane Harvey and Game Of Thrones finale (and leaks) proved to be too much a hurdle for moviegoers on Labor Day weekend.

On Overseas side, I remain optimistic that the movie will pass Spider-Man 2's numbers (unadjusted) which are $ 410 mil.

Last edited:
'It' Explodes Out of the Gate with $13.5 Million from Thursday Previews

The biggest September opening weekend is coming.....while we can expect under 1.0M for Diana.

AMC, Cinemark, Regal & More Closing Florida Theaters As Hurricane Irma Nears
Similar to Harvey, Irma isn’t expected to slow the overall weekend box office much — just 3%-5% per exhibition sources.
http://deadline.com/2017/09/hurrica...-box-office-stephen-king-movie-it-1202163808/

The new NFL season has also started and there will be 12 games on Sunday, which will bring Sunday grosses down a bit.

Combined with the fact that we're coming off a holiday weekend, and with "It" setting records, big drops are to be expected. With Wonder Woman losing nearly half of its theaters, the odds are not in its favour for a great hold this weekend :/

But on the bright side our targets aren't too high since we've been using Jurassic World as a comparison, and that dropped 56.2% on the same weekend. Doing the same would still keep Wonder Woman on track to reach the 4x multiplier.

How is Thor the Dark World so high up? If that project (which was originally to be directed by Patty Jenkins) remains higher up than Wonder Woman, then that's almost like saying that it was a better or more well-received movie than WW.

giphy.gif

Since Thor: The Dark World's International collection is at $ 438 mil. we can safely assume that it was more popular movie in terms of number of tickets sold, also the movie was released in 2013, so many more people saw it as compared to Wonder Woman. (accounting for Inflation)

Thor : TDW got a boost from Avengers (2012) movie and the popularity of Loki. Apart from that, I feel that WB marketed Wonder Woman poorly in some countries (for example in UK, India). Maybe they thought that spending more money in marketing a movie when it faces tough challenge from likes of Pirates, Baywatch, The Mummy and Cars is wasteful expenditure.

Last edited:
I think people in the UK didn't see WW as much as in other countries. It was out of theatres pretty quickly. It didn't help that its UK premiere was also cancelled as well as Gal's appearance on the Graham Norton show.

It seems that the only people who went to see it in the UK were those who were already going to see it. I don't know how many new viewers it attracted. I'm sure a lot of people, especially women, just thought it was a male fantasy and typical comic book movie, so they would rather watch something else - like even a Disney movie - not knowing how similar to a Disney princess movie it actually was.

$72k for Thursday. It took a big hit from IT, but that's okay because she's earned enough as it is :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"