Wonder Woman Box Office Speculation Thread - Part 6

Wonder Woman's Tuesday increase was rather small due to the release of Blu-Ray/DVD copies but it recovered nicely by dropping only 19% on Wednesday. That's the 2nd best drop among the movies in the Top-15. Diana still going strong and trying to scalp the 4.0 multiplier.

Maybe Cain was getting tired of his colleague fanboying about WW at every turn and downplaying other films success. I think Mendelson knows his stuff, but it did seem after awhile like every piece he wrote about the film was done in the nude while sitting on top of an inflatable WW sex doll. :sarcasm:

The old, good cop, bad cop routine.

Anyway, WW will lose 304 theaters (-46.1%) this weekend. The TC for the week is 344. I'm too lazy to look at other CBMs but WW is ahead of GOTG, TDK & The Avengers at the same point in their theatrical runs. Both TDK (early Thanksgiving??) and The Avengers (LD weekend) received a nice TC bump in their respective 18th weekends so WW will fall behind both after this weekend by a fair bit.

WW was 71% ahead of JW after their respective 16th weekend. Even if Diana drops big due to the home media release, WW will still pace well ahead of JW in it's 17th weekend.

Wonder Woman's weekday figures are more than twice that of JW at the same point. That is mighty impressive. The movie has been weathering the 'IT' storm in Sept. and Diana is doing a fine job shielding herself from Pennywise.

WW will hafta deal with Kingsman 2, Ninjago, excellent hold from 'IT' plus physical copy release this weekend. JW dealt with The Martian and dropped 38.7% on it's 17th weekend. I'm hoping for a drop between (45-50)%. That'll be enough to keep Diana more than 15% ahead of JW for this weekend.

Wonder Woman's weekday figures are more than twice that of JW at the same point. That is mighty impressive. The movie has been weathering the 'IT' storm in Sept. and Diana is doing a fine job shielding herself from Pennywise.

WW will hafta deal with Kingsman 2, Ninjago, excellent hold from 'IT' plus physical copy release this weekend. JW dealt with The Martian and dropped 38.7% on it's 17th weekend. I'm hoping for a drop between (45-50)%. That'll be enough to keep Diana more than 15% ahead of JW for this weekend.

"Shielding herself"... nice ;)

This is not good

'Wonder Woman' Is One Of The Worst-Performing Superhero Films In Overseas Markets In A Decade

https://www.forbes.com/sites/robcai...in-overseas-markets-in-a-decade/#475dc25d4eb8

Wonder Woman - Foreign collections : $410M

let's compare how Wonder Woman earned as compared to some superhero films in last 3 years -

Foreign Box Office Collections

Fant4stic $111M
Ant-man $339 M
X-Men Apoclaypse $388M
Logan $390M

So, Wonder Woman has made more than all those movies listed above and it has earned less than the movies listed below, but the difference is there but it is not significant. WW is hardly the worst performing superhero movie in a decade as that article suggests.

Deadpool $420M
Suicide Squad $420M
Guardians of The Galaxy $440M
Doctor Strange $445 M

Last edited:
I think it's interesting to compare WW's overseas numbers ($410M) to super-successful Hunger Games movies which had a known star (Jennifer Lawrence)

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1 $418M
The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 2 $371M

So, Wonder Woman's Overseas collections are not that low either. And, it has earned more in Overseas Market than Scarlett Johansson's -

Ghost in the Shell $120M
Lucy $336M

WB would rather have most of its money coming from the U.S. anyway.

The movies that make most of their money overseas are usually junk movies that aren't good enough to play in the USA. It's sort of their consolation prize.

WB would rather have most of its money coming from the U.S. anyway.
Not really. OS is a bigger market than domestic, so in an ideal scenario a movie would gross more OS than domestic.

The movies that make most of their money overseas are usually junk movies that aren't good enough to play in the USA. It's sort of their consolation prize.
Pretty much all movies make more OS than domestic, not just the "junk movies" lol. 94% of the top 100 highest grossing movies of all time made more OS than domestic.

Last edited:
Not really. OS is a bigger market than domestic, so in an ideal scenario a movie would gross more OS than domestic.

Well...

Apparently, studios pocket about 55% of the domestic BO gross. (They get more than this in the early weeks of release and less towards the end. But 55% is a serviceable average.) However, the foreign BO is less lucrative on a percentage basis. It’ll vary from region to region (depending on what deals the studios have) but the overall average may be 40% or lower. (Some sources calculate the share of the China market at 25%.)

So all other things being equal, the “ideal scenario” would be a bigger domestic box office. E.g., $400M domestic + $100M foreign is more profitable than $100M domestic + $400M foreign - even though both add up to the same $500M grand total.

;nd

Well...

Apparently, studios pocket about 55% of the domestic BO gross. (They get more than this in the early weeks of release and less towards the end. But 55% is a serviceable average.) However, the foreign BO is less lucrative on a percentage basis. It’ll vary from region to region (depending on what deals the studios have) but the overall average may be 40% or lower. (Some sources calculate the share of the China market at 25%.)

So all other things being equal, the “ideal scenario” would be a bigger domestic box office. E.g., $400M domestic + $100M foreign is more profitable than $100M domestic + $400M foreign - even though both add up to the same $500M grand total.

;nd
But all other things are not equal, so that is not the ideal scenario.

The OS market is about 1.6x bigger than the domestic market(in US dollars). In an ideal scenario a movie will reach full potential everywhere, which means it will gross more OS than domestic.

And about that cut from China: it's pretty much just as good as the 40% cut from most other OS countries. China takes a bigger cut because the studio has to pay chinese companies to distribute their movie instead of doing it themselves. For other markets that is counted seperately. After paying for distribution(and more for marketing as well since studios don't pay nearly as much for marketing in China compared to other markets), that 25% cut is not bad at all.

Maybe it'd be better to say that overperformance, or underperformance, is worth more in the US than overseas.

Besides, its not really like WW actually did bad overseas. It just didn't explode like it did domestically.

Maybe it'd be better to say that overperformance, or underperformance, is worth more in the US than overseas.
Overperforming in the US is only worth more if you use absolute numbers. But by using absolute numbers you would be ignorinig the fact that OS is bigger. And since OS is bigger, overperforming to the same degree would logically add more to the OS take than the domestic take, which would actually make OS overperformance worth more... It's just the same argument stated in another way.
Besides, its not really like WW actually did bad overseas. It just didn't explode like it did domestically.
This is true and I think everyone here has acknowledged it. There is nothing wrong with Wonder Woman's OS performance. I'm just seeing people trying to downplay the importance of the OS market in general.

New article blaming marketing for WW performing "badly" overseas.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/robcai...dly-in-so-many-overseas-markets/#55cf8e054e89
Funny how his only argument for why it did "badly" is the low OS share, not how much is actually made. He has to take it out of context to make his article work.

So an OS share below 50% means it did badly OS, regardless of how much it makes there? Doesn't make sense. $400M+ is a good OS number for Wonder Woman. According to his logic, it could have made $300M domestically and that would have magically changed the OS performance from "bad" into "good", even if the OS performance stayed exactly the same :whatever:

OS performance was good. Just not as good as the domestic performance, which was great.

His last clickbait title about this subject got a lot of views, even though it wasn't really true. But who cares about the truth, gotta get those views, right? lol

And if it made $0 in North America it would have been the greatest int'l hit ever!

Funny how his only argument for why it did "badly" is the low OS share, not how much is actually made. He has to take it out of context to make his article work.

So an OS share below 50% means it did badly OS, regardless of how much it makes there? Doesn't make sense. $400M+ is a good OS number for Wonder Woman. According to his logic, it could have made $300M domestically and that would have magically changed the OS performance from "bad" into "good", even if the OS performance stayed exactly the same :whatever:

OS performance was good. Just not as good as the domestic performance, which was great.

His last clickbait title about this subject got a lot of views, even though it wasn't really true. But who cares about the truth, gotta get those views, right? lol

Guys who write articles like that are a joke. Like you said, the clickbait and misinformation is all about views and disbarring the actual truth. Better to not even waste energy on trash like this.

WW had a stellar performance & was a massive hit. No amount of clickbait articles is going to ever change that fact.

New article blaming marketing for WW performing "badly" overseas.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/robcai...dly-in-so-many-overseas-markets/#55cf8e054e89

This is my favorite part.
The two pictures that came closest to Wonder Woman's $411 million domestic total, Iron Man 3 at $409 million domestic, and Captain America: Civil War at $408 million, each out-earned the DCEU picture by hundreds of millions of dollars internationally.

This tool is comparing a solo WW film to Avengers 2.5 & Iron Man 3. This comparison is even funnier when earlier in the article he wrote

Although the character was a founding member of DC’s Justice League and had been a constant cultural presence for 75 years in comic books, animated and live action TV series, video games and other formats, she had never had her own feature film.

By the way, it should be noted that WW earned more money in 12 markets than GotG Vol 2. Not bad for a character in her first feature-length movie.

Brazil
Colombia
Greece
Hong Kong
Indonesia
Mexico
Norway
Paraguay
Philippines
Portugal
Turkey
United Arab Emirates

By the way, it should be noted that WW earned more money in 12 markets than GotG Vol 2. Not bad for a character in her first feature-length movie.

Brazil
Colombia
Greece
Hong Kong
Indonesia
Mexico
Norway
Paraguay
Philippines
Portugal
Turkey
United Arab Emirates

And, in Japan (Wonder Woman: $ 11.3 million and GoTG Vol. 2, $ $10.1 million).

Last edited:
Re Rob Cain article:

1. Just saw this today and I'm a little upset. :cwink: Here’s a major territory where Wonder Woman OVERperformed compared to its summer rival, Spider-Man: Homecoming:

United States and Canada: Wonder Woman - 50.2%; Spider-Man: Homecoming - 38.4% :cwink:

Wonder Woman overperformed in North America because she's a CULTURAL ICON in North America and North America only. It did NOT underperform overseas. DC is not Marvel.

$408M overseas is wonderful for a DC - SOLO – ORIGIN – female-led superhero movie, but $412M domestic is nothing short of spectacular.

It goes both ways. Spider-Man: Homecoming, aka Iron Man 3.5, UNDERperformed in North America because... it’s not as good as Spider-Man, Spider-Man 2, Spider-Man 3 and Iron-Man 3? Who knows. :cwink:

2. Overseas, Wonder Woman is a brand NEW superhero, a female one at that. It takes a sequel (or two) to build BRAND LOYALTY. MARVEL has this down to a science; DC, not so much.

Let’s look at some of 2017’s biggest hits, overseas. The Fate of the Furious (Fast 8) grossed $1.2B worldwide (81.8% overseas); Despicable Me 3 – 1.0 B worldwide (74.3% overseas). Pirates of the Caribbean 5: Dead Men Tell No Tales, widely dismissed as a FLOP earlier this summer, grossed $794M worldwide (78.3% overseas).

Wonder Woman was the biggest hit of the summer in part because there’s little competition, thanks to “franchise fatigue” in North America. Overseas? What franchise fatigue? More like brand loyalty.

Wonder Woman isn’t there yet, although $408M is pretty amazing for a DC franchise starter and bodes well for future sequels. Her time will come! :ilv:

3. In North America, Wonder Woman is not just a comic book icon but a cultural icon. NOSTALGIA + Feminism is a potent combination. Remember little girls in Wonder Woman costume on Halloween when you're growing up? I do.

The Wonder Woman TV show ended in 1979, but fans had been waiting for years, decades even, to see their CHILDHOOD HERO on the big screen. It was Fandango's most anticipated movie of the summer.

We've had dozens of Batman, Superman, Spider-Man, etc. movies over the last few decades. Imagine what it’s like to see your childhood hero on the big screen for the first time?

This is why women were crying in theaters, senior citizens showed up wearing Diana’s tiara - and repeat business was extraordinary. Some of Wonder Woman's biggest fans are guys, but I guess they're not as emotional.

Common refrain on social media: "OMG I've been waiting since I was a little girl for a Wonder Woman movie! Thank you for bringing MY CHILDHOOD HERO BACK TO LIFE!!! She's so beautiful and badass!!!"

Overseas, there’s little built-in demand for a Wonder Woman movie. She’s nobody’s childhood hero. No long-time fans waiting for decades to see her on the big screen. Well, maybe a few. "Never heard of her," "unknown," "not big here," or "still can't digest a female superhero" is more like it.

Most importantly, it’s NOT a Marvel movie, which is why $408M overseas is pretty amazing.

4. Solo ORIGIN movies don’t do as well overseas. It takes a sequel (or two) to build BRAND LOYALTY. The Dark Knight Trilogy is a good example. Again, DC is not Marvel, and remember Marvel’s success began with Iron Man. It’s where DC’s at right now.

Batman Begins
Domestic: $206,852,432 55.3%
+ Foreign: $167,366,241 44.7%
= Worldwide: $374,218,673

The Dark Knight
Domestic: $534,858,444 53.2%
+ Foreign: $469,700,000 46.8%
= Worldwide: $1,004,558,444

The Dark Knight Rises
Domestic: $448,139,099 41.3%
+ Foreign: $636,800,000 58.7%
= Worldwide: $1,084,939,099

Iron Man
Domestic: $318,412,101 54.4%
+ Foreign: $266,762,121 45.6%
= Worldwide: $585,174,222

Iron Man 2
Domestic: $312,433,331 50.1%
+ Foreign: $311,500,000 49.9%
= Worldwide: $623,933,331

Iron Man 3
Domestic: $409,013,994 33.7%
+ Foreign: $805,797,258 66.3%
= Worldwide: $1,214,811,252

5. Even though Cain's article proved my point - that WW overperfomed and SMC underperformed in North America, his comparison is faulty because it's incomplete and illogical.

Look at it this way. Let’s say you’re 6’1” and I’m 5’7”. Compared to you I’m short, but compared to an average woman in the U.S., I’m tall. You’re NOT representative of anything beyond yourself, and neither is SMH. Does that make sense?

In other words, the results may be completely different if you replace SMH with Batman Begins. All superhero movies are not the same. And, in general, Marvel movies do better than DC movies overseas.

6. Why not write an article about how SMH (aka Iron Man 3.5) UNDERperformed in North America? :cwink: SMH is the 6th Spider-Man sequel/reboot in the last 15 years and features not just Spider-Man but IRON MAN.

Spider-Man: Homecoming ($331M domestic)
Spider-Man ($404M domestic, unadjusted)
Spider-Man 2 ($374M domestic, unadjusted)
Spider-Man 3 ($337M domestic, unadjusted)
Iron Man 3 ($409M domestic, unadjusted)

Did SMH overperform overseas? I’m not so sure. :cwink: Spider-Man is the world’s most profitable (by a mile) superhero in merchandise sales, way ahead of Iron Man or Avengers. Everybody knows who Spider-Man is. It’s huge in Japan and China.

7. Wonder Woman was banned in three Arab-majority nations: Lebanon, Tunisia and Qatar. One twitter user stated that Cain wrote that article for political reasons... I wouldn’t know, but let’s set the record straight. The movie was to be shown in 15 theaters in Lebanon, 2 (!) in Tunisia. Lebanon is at war with Israel, who could blame them.

"The box office impact for Wonder Woman will be negligible... it only raises awareness for the film. This is all noise," said Paul Dergarabedian, senior box office analyst for comScore.

He’s right, of course: box office revenue from countries that banned Wonder Woman amounted to $471K, less than half a million, for Man of Steel, or 0.07% of its worldwide gross.

Even without the ban, a FEMALE-led superhero movie would have grossed next to nothing over there, let’s be honest. We’re not talking about the United Arab Emirates, one of the most modern and prosperous countries in the region.

8. No, Wonder Woman did NOT underperform in China. It grossed $90.5M in China vs. Man of Steel ($63M) and Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice ($97.7M) which is not a solo movie and featured two of the most well-known DC superheroes in the world.

Yes, China is a patriarchal society but moviegoers are used to female-led (or co-led) kung fu movies, it's no big deal.

Marvel movies do better than DC movies in China. DC is playing catch up but it takes time to build brand loyalty. As it is, Wonder Woman did well which bodes well for the sequels.

9. Marvel movies tend to do better overseas. That said, DC movies are popular in Brazil. Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice was Brazil’s #2 movie in 2016; Suicide Squad was #3.

DC movies also do well in Mexico and to a lesser extent, Southeast Asia. The cast went to Mexico and China to promote Wonder Woman back in May. The movie could have done better in India, but it wasn't released in Hindi, apparently, for some reason.

“Why can’t someone fight on our side for a change?” asked a German fan, and he’s right. My main problem with Wonder Woman is that war and fantasy don’t mix. Worse, it’s set not in World War II like in the comics, but World War I. Everybody’s partly to blame, not just the Germans. (“You should be ashamed! You should all be ashamed!”) And you wonder why the movie didn’t do so well in Germany? Or other European countries for that matter.

10. It’s better for a movie to OVERperform in North America than overperform overseas. This is not to say The Fate of the Furious (Fast 8) ($1.2B, 81.8% overseas including $394M in China) isn't profitable, are you kidding? Shareholders are interested in $$ not bragging rights.

On the other hand, if Fast 8 had grossed $200M less in China and $200M more in North America, profits would have been much higher.

Who doesn’t love China? 25% is a lot better than nothing, and fans over there are so loyal. I wouldn’t be surprised if they flew Fan Bingbing to the U.S. for a cameo in Wonder Woman 2. :cwink: Just kidding, but a diverse cast is important.

As for P&A costs, they’re written off whether the movie ended up grossing $400M or $300M in North America. With Wonder Woman they’re flying blind since this is the first female-led superhero movie in over a decade and who knows what’s going to happen. Money well spent, that’s for sure.

In any case, Wonder Woman is the biggest hit of the summer, 5th highest grossing superhero movie since 1978, 12th worldwide. And this is her FIRST solo movie! Take that! :ilv::ilv:

I just want to add, WB needs to step up the marketing of DC movies, in general in Asian markets. where Disney (MCU) and Fox do a better job of marketing their movies.

FWIW per mojo new WW tally is $820,390,490. So 820 is here.

Domestic is $411,990,490. So we are roughly 1.1 million from the magic 4x multiplier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"