Wonder Woman Box Office Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its Frances, sport. And it isnt laughable, merely unlikely. Much stranger things have happened (box office wise)

$150 million isn't happening (unless this thing gets an astronomical boost in hype) but I think $120-$130 could be possible. If reviews are good and WOM is great, it could climb that high, at least.

I don't think even WB is expecting $150m, they'd be thrilled if it gets over $90-100m OW. $150m+ is usually sequel and outlier territory.

It will make 150 million OW, Wonder Woman is an A-List Comic Book character, top 5 easy. Her first movie is something people have been waiting for decades, it's like the first Spider-Man movie, and that opened to $114,844,116 in 2002. There are no excuses, the marketing is great, good creative team, this has to kill it.

110 million is my prediction currently. You females better show up!! Y'all are always going on and on about more female representation and equality so put your money where your mouth is and support Wonder Woman!

Hoping for the best! Fingers crossed :D

It will make 150 million OW, Wonder Woman is an A-List Comic Book character, top 5 easy. Her first movie is something people have been waiting for decades, it's like the first Spider-Man movie, and that opened to $114,844,116 in 2002. There are no excuses, the marketing is great, good creative team, this has to kill it.

While it's always possible WW could over-perform and hit that $150 million OW, the box office is too unpredictable for it to be anything close to a sure thing. Even with all that said and the massive anticipation for a WW film, there's never really any guarantees when it comes to box office numbers.

I think MOS numbers are more likely than $150m OW+

Well, like joey said, stranger things have happened before regarding box office so you never know.

I went back a few pages and no one mentioned the possibility of that. Joey just being joey and throwing jabs for no goddamn reason.

So, Black Narcissus you were saying? :o

At least we know which superfan will be seeing this 6 times in the theaters. LOL

Last edited:
While it's always possible WW could over-perform and hit that $150 million OW, the box office is too unpredictable for it to be anything close to a sure thing. Even with all that said and the massive anticipation for a WW film, there's never really any guarantees when it comes to box office numbers.

Massive anticipation from who? The collective on this WW forum?

Your pathetic anti-DCEU antics are startin to get on my nerves. Momma's basement ain't got enough stuff to entertain you huh?

Speaking of getting on nerves - so are outlandish predictions and flame bait by fans too emotionally attached.

he's just being sarcastic, so someone else could say DC fans do claim WW has 150m+ OW :whatever:

So, Black Nacrissus you were saying? :o

At least we know which superfan will be seeing this 6 times in the theaters. LOL

Oh I never said I was a WW fan, just that there are a F load of them out there. Personally, not exactly a huge fan, but I can't deny her brand recognition. Spidey's first movie had the biggest opening weekend in history at the time. I don't think WW is on that level but 150 OW has to be doable for one of DC's big three, especially during an era of CBM boom.

Oh I never said I was a WW fan, just that there are a F load of them out there. Personally, not exactly a huge fan, but I can't deny her brand recognition. Spidey's first movie had the biggest opening weekend in history at the time. I don't think WW is on that level but 150 OW has to be doable for one of DC's big three, especially during an era of CBM boom.

Put it this way - it two (well kinda three) characters to put up $166 million in BvS. Man of Steel only did $116. As an aside, SS did $133 million.

At this stage it's unlikely a non-teamup movie with her in it is going to peg around $150 million. I'm not convinced she carries the weight the fans closer to this franchise (not you particularly) think she does. The only thing I'm convinced of is some strong girl power style support opening weekend.

Anyone who says WW will do 150M OW is either

1. Deluded. Solo Superhero origin movies dont do that kind of number. Dont forget the competition.

2. Wants to set an unattainable target so that they can claim it underperformed when it cant reach said target. I remember that certain poster trolling the SS forums.

Anyone who says WW will do 150M OW is either

1. Deluded. Solo Superhero origin movies dont do that kind of number. Dont forget the competition.

2. Wants to set an unattainable target so that they can claim it underperformed when it cant reach said target. I remember that certain poster trolling the SS forums.

Agreed, it's just not possible outside of an insane fluke. No solo hero first outings have done that number, by quite a lot (unless you count Spider-Man in adjusted dollars), and outside of the comic/nerd world, WW isn't nearly as big as she's being portrayed to be. Her name is known, but that's about it for most people.

It'll do well, assuming the movie is actually good (SS and BvS have me worried for it), but much more than $100 million seems like a stretch. Hell, Guardians didn't break $150 million and they're insanely popular right now.

Agreed, it's just not possible outside of an insane fluke. No solo hero first outings have done that number, by quite a lot (unless you count Spider-Man in adjusted dollars), and outside of the comic/nerd world, WW isn't nearly as big as she's being portrayed to be. Her name is known, but that's about it for most people.

It'll do well, assuming the movie is actually good (SS and BvS have me worried for it), but much more than $100 million seems like a stretch. Hell, Guardians didn't break $150 million and they're insanely popular right now.

Deadpool just opened to 132 mil last year in his first solo outing, despite it not being in Summer and being R-rated. We saw Spider-Man make an adjusted 152 mil OW at a time of tremendous CMB skepticism. Heck even Iron-Man, who at the time was a B-lister at best, practically got a 100 million 9 years ago.

WW is an A-list superhero, a household name, and by all intents and purposes the most famous female superhero. This is more than doable for Wonder Woman, even if it fails to reach 150 mil, it should not be that far off.

Stop trying to setup an impossible target for WW.

A-list superhero means nothing nowadays, when A list superheroes like Batman and Superman failed to earn that much money in their first movies (Batman Begins, Superman Returns, Man of Steel), also Hulk is an A list super hero and did not earn much two times they rebooted him. (Ang Lee's HULK and The Incredible Hulk)

Wonder Woman movie has many factors that will prevent her movie from opening big -

1. Gal Gadot is not a famous, well established actress.

2. June month is a crowded month that will see intense competition.

3. Female lead comic book movies have traditionally fared poorly at box office in past (Supergirl, Elektra, Catwoman)

4. We still don't know what is the quality of the movie itself, but we do know that till now DCEU is not exactly winning over critics.

I said this back on April 7th:

I expect Wonder Woman to bring in around 95 mil OW. My high end WW prediction for a few weeks ago scraped to $800 mil but my gut is settling more in the $700-725 mil WW.

That's where I was then. I'm tacking on a little more for my final so $106 mil OW for Wondy; $705 WW finish.

Wonder Woman:
OW: $106 mil
Domestic: $315 mil
Foreign: $390
Worldwide: $705 mil

Last edited:
Yeah, I guarantee that, if nothing else, parents will take their daughters to see this. That adds up. Not that young girls are the target audience, but hey, a female superhero film that looks competent compared to what we've gotten in the past, and it's Wonder Woman.

Dr. said:
I get the impression that fans would settle for a modest financial success (in the CA, Thor, Ant-Man range) as long as WW earned a “fresh tomato” score. I.e., good reviews are more important than BO bragging rights. :cwink:

Of course… wins on BOTH fronts would be nice.
:o

I certainly do, and I suspect its not just fans. While WB would certainly *like* high BO performance, their definition of "good" almost certainly scales down the better the reviews and WOM are. If the movie made 500M at theaters, but got 90% on RT and solid legs indicative of strong WOM? They'd be ecstatic, because that's the kind of thing you ride to giant upward jumps for sequels.

Stop trying to setup an impossible target for WW.

A-list superhero means nothing nowadays, when A list superheroes like Batman and Superman failed to earn that much money in their first movies (Batman Begins, Superman Returns, Man of Steel), also Hulk is an A list super hero and did not earn much two times they rebooted him. (Ang Lee's HULK and The Incredible Hulk)

Wonder Woman movie has many factors that will prevent her movie from opening big -

1. Gal Gadot is not a famous, well established actress.

2. June month is a crowded month that will see intense competition.

3. Female lead comic book movies have traditionally fared poorly at box office in past (Supergirl, Elektra, Catwoman)

4. We still don't know what is the quality of the movie itself, but we do know that till now DCEU is not exactly winning over critics.

Dude it's an internet message board, no amount of possible or impossible targets set here mean ****. Take a breath, and have some faith. I'm sure people said the same thing before the first Raimi Spider-Man came out, and look how groundbreaking that was. WW is a movie almost half a century in the making, it will get there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"