Wonder Woman Box Office Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I could see a few switches now with the WB Nolan film in July 2017. PR2 is likely delayed as well but Universal will likely put Pitch Perfect 3 or another filn in its place. Given Wolverine 3 is released the previous week, I think Wonder Woman would be better in mid to late March.

I think the Nolan film will stay in its July 2017 spot. Nolan has a track record of cleaning up in past Julys (TDK, Inception, TDKR), so WB will likely want to keep that. The movies that didn't (BB, Prestige, Interstellar) did well but not mind-bogglingly fantastic.

The only date switcheroos I see are Kong: Skull Island and WW. Legendary will like the prime summer date, whereas WB will get to capitalize on WW's popularity sooner.

I think the Nolan film will stay in its July 2017 spot. Nolan has a track record of cleaning up in past Julys (TDK, Inception, TDKR), so WB will likely want to keep that. The movies that didn't (BB, Prestige, Interstellar) did well but not mind-bogglingly fantastic.

The only date switcheroos I see are Kong: Skull Island and WW. Legendary will like the prime summer date, whereas WB will get to capitalize on WW's popularity sooner.

I agree that the Nolan film will stay in July but I imagine other films release on that date or the week after will move.

I wouldn't be surprised if Kong moves then I could see Beauty and the Beast moving to March 10th as the first or second week of March has been good for Disney in recent years and Ascendant either stays put or moves to March 17th and Wonder Woman could go for either March 17th, March 24th or March 31st.

April is Fast and Furious 8. The new Wolverine is Hugh Jackman's last one so I imagine they'll be hype surrounding it and will be coming off X-Men Apocalypse which will likely be big as well.

so what? It's one movie.

so what? It's one movie.

And it's an incredibly front-loaded franchise (last several films made 45-50% of their gross on opening weekend). So if WB wants to move WW up, but not swap dates with Skull Island, they can release the week after Furious 8 on April 21.

That gives WB two weeks before GOTG 2 rolls in.

Domestic: $250m

Foreign: $450m

WorldWide: $700m

I'm bored so here is my way too early prediction that I will totally revise:

575 million.

Since Legendary and Universal put Pacific Rim 2 on hold, WB can release WW in early August 2017.

Once she hits the American morning and evening talk show circuit to promote BvS, people will see and hear her charm, and be able to put her in context in their minds. That should help the box office for Wonder Woman as well.

I wasn't keen on Gal Gadot when she was first cast as Wonder Woman, but she's grown on me. She's funny, astute, down-to-earth, and beautiful. And just on the small bit of footage from BVS, she seems to be on the right track for nailing the character.

I really hope she steals the show in BVS. That would be all the better for WB to release WW earlier than later.

And then too, if she is the standout of the film it'll substantially boost the momentum for WW. Things have been pretty quiet in regards to WW from what I've been able to ascertain but more solid footage of Gadot in the role and ultimately a kick-ass performance would seal the deal for sure.

If all the pieces fall into place correctly, I do think she'd have a legitimate shot at clearing $300 million domestically and $900 million (at max) worldwide.

Universal isn't having the easiest time with FF8

WW to April please

I thought that Fast 8 report was so hopelessly vague that I'm just going to wait and see what happens.

I bet if Fast 8 gets delayed then I could see WB taking April 7th or April 14th pretty quickly but given Fast 8 isn't shooting until 2016, Universal does have plenty of time to find a director.

Have a feeling they'll keep it in June, especially after JW & IO. Hope I'm wrong doe

Toy Story 4 and Despicable Me 3 are two nuclear level billion dollar nukes waiting to crush anything in between.

Universal isn't having the easiest time with FF8

WW to April please

Yes. The BO will depend on the release date and maintaining budget discipline. Keep her budget around 125 million if possible. Needs to get out of that June spot as well.

Go to early August or late March or early April.

Last edited:
Toy Story 4 and Despicable Me 3 are two nuclear level billion dollar nukes waiting to crush anything in between.

Exactly. WB's needs to be wise and move WW out of that June spot dammit!

I wasn't keen on Gal Gadot when she was first cast as Wonder Woman, but she's grown on me. She's funny, astute, down-to-earth, and beautiful. And just on the small bit of footage from BVS, she seems to be on the right track for nailing the character.

I really hope she steals the show in BVS. That would be all the better for WB to release WW earlier than later.

Yes she is and is a very lovely and engaging woman! Photogenic, sexy and very social media saavy and interactive with fans who is down to earth.

Last edited:
Well the good news is that Toy Story 4 moved away from originally opening a week after WW. :)

Bad news is that spots now been taken by Cars 3. :csad:

Cars 3 isn't going to make anywhere near Toy Story 4 money.

Plus i have this theory that both Cars 3 and Despicable me 3 while sandwiching the WW film will implode on each other.

I mean what would parents take their kids too, Cars or DM3? chaos in the making.

Cars 2 was the first Pixar film after A Bug's Life not to crack $200m but it's such a merchandise monster for Disney that I doubt it mattered but I'm sure they'll want to improve on it. DM3 I imagine will be lower than both DM2 and Minions at least domestically, overseas is a different ball game but the competition in July 2017 with Pirates 5, War of the Planet of the Apes, the new Nolan film and Spider-Man is more of a threat hence why I think March 2017 would be better, maybe take Kong's slot, March 24th or 31st.

2017 is gonna be a helluva year for films, everything's packed. :funny:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"