Wonder Woman Merchandise

Discussion in 'Wonder Woman' started by Sawyer, Dec 3, 2015.

1. ComicChick I Work Too Much

if HMV is getting one, then that means it's highly likely Best Buy will as well. I kinda hope the photograph from BvsS is the middle inserts for it

2. jmc away for a while

From what I understand this and the BvS WW hot toy figure have far more limited movement compared to others toys, especially with the upper arms. That's a bit of a deal breaker for me because it more or less make it a statue.

3. Boom I got nothin'

I love her Themysciran outfit.

4. GothamBat Protector of Gotham

fully articulated but with no visible joints... glorious

5. Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

Are you sure about that? Or is it a skin over the normal joints?

6. geetard Rebirth

With the price tag that Hot Toys figures come with, they definitely must have as many articulations as possible or at least interchangeable hands/heads so you can have more combinations when it comes to "action pose". I suppose they can sacrifice some articulation for a better aesthetic (seamless joints look great on that WW figure).

Personally, I don't mind my action figures looking like statues. I usually just pose them in one action pose and be done with it.

7. ComicChick I Work Too Much

that depends. they tried that with the Gamora figure and a lot of people had problems with its mobility

8. jmc away for a while

I've got several Hot Toys figure and most have articulation ranging from 28-30 joints. The BvS WW has only 17 in comparison and I believe this new figure uses the same body type. Most characters have clothing covering their skins so visible joints aren't an issue. I understand them wanting seamless skin but if it comes at the cost of being able to position the character in a dynamic way you may as well just buy a WW statue.

9. jaymes_e06 Registered

Maybe they found a way to add more?

10. Lantern Venom Lego SUCKS

Even if they did, rubber is tricky business. I don't have the Gamora figure, but I've seen plenty of online complains about damage being done to the skin when dynamically posed. I saw one video where simply moving her arm created a visible stress point around the elbow. That's not the kind of issue that premium collectors want to see.

That Diana fig looks clean and movie-accurate, so I understand why people want it. However, I'd caution collectors to avoid leaving her arms in raised or bent positions. I think there would be a serious risk of damaging the rubber around the shoulders and elbows as the figure aged.

11. jmc away for a while

In general you shouldn't leave any figure in a dynamic pose for too long a period. The Gamora figure is a prime example of why I would sacrifice seamless skin. Yeah, it's doesn't look as clean but if the choice is between full articulation with visible joints or seamless skin with the risk of the rubber deteriorating I'm choosing the former.

12. Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

Is it definitely rubber skin over the joints? They must have it very tight and thin or else it would look like a rubber suit.

13. Willi Berg On The Run

The book arrived today! I am still reading it. But it follows the movie chronologically, with a little write up about each part of the movie, with movie photographs and concept art for each section.

Concept art such as:

[​IMG]

Cover:
    [​IMG]

Also there is:

at the end an envelope from Wayne Enterprises with a transparent photograph inside of the team with WW, as we see in the movie. It is quite a faded pic but is a cool novelty.

I'll get back to reading it and give more thoughts later.

14. jmc away for a while

How much was it?

15. Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

I'm reading "Wonder Woman Psychology: Lassoing the Truth". It seems to have been written in 2017 but I think it was probably before the movie. Why did they publish that then instead of waiting until after the movie where they could've included discussion of that?

16. Primal Slayer Let the Siren scream

Amazon has it for $25.

I read it and I liked it for the most part. There wasn't much new insight if you read various interviews.

It shows storyboards/bts photos for some scenes.

Would've liked to have a section dedicated to discussing the lasso.

17. Willi Berg On The Run

18. jmc away for a while

So it's twice the price down here than it is in the US. Seems about right. :down:

19. Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

Seems like a bit of a waste of money if you can just read most of it elsewhere online.

20. jmc away for a while

I usually buy those type of books for the concept art. Is it worth it for that?

21. Primal Slayer Let the Siren scream

It has a decent amount of concept art but I dont know if you are interested in seeing different versions of what they were going through (this has about 1 concept art for each character)

The Entertainment Weekly WW special is practically a mini version of this and surprisingly goes in on some things the book doesnt (WWs armor).

I think the most interesting thing to come out of the book was that they were going back and forth as to include Steve Trevor or not. And the amount of CGI that went into the movie.

22. Willi Berg On The Run

Hmmm, there is fair amount of concept art. Not on every page. Stuff like:

The Amazons (armour, weapons)
    The Island
    The Throne Room
    The Armory Room
    Marketplace
    The Infirmary (where Steve heals)
    and some London, war scenes and some Ares, but he is minimal.

There are a couple of concept art pieces on two page spreads.

There is enough there for me. But it depends how much you want. It is why I bought it and I am pretty pleased with it.

There is a fair bit of concept art online but there is a difference between seeing scans and having a hardcover coffee table book. That is your humble opinion of course. :o Mine is that it wasn't a waste of money. :oldrazz:

23. Primal Slayer Let the Siren scream

I think I was just hoping it would delve a bit deeper into the mythology of the characters but it did stick true to its name.

24. Willi Berg On The Run

Agreed.

25. Lantern Venom Lego SUCKS

All of that is most certainly true. That's why I'm happy with the 12" Multiverse figure. It has superb detail, plenty of accessories, no rubber, and it's about 1/10 of the price of a usual Hot Toy. However, I'm glad to see that there are numerous Wondy figures hitting the market. Wonder Woman has an unfortunate history with figure representation, but the last few years have begun to change that. I just hope that the seamless joint HT figs don't deteriorate in the same way that some past HT figs have done.

That's what the past HT seamless joint figures have had. Both Avengers Hulks were made primarily of rubber, and it does look good up close. However, the oxidation process breaks down rubber over time. It's going to be interesting to see how figures like this and the Phicen 1/6 figures are holding up in 20 years.