Wonder Woman - Review Thread [TAG SPOILERS]

Finally got to see the movie. I liked it, with some ups and some lows. I'm glad I went in without focusing on the reviews, because then I think I would have been disappointed.

Gadot is good enough to lead the film, but I still think she's visibly limited in her acting and is quite uneven in the movie. She has parts where she's good, and especially her smile jumps off the screen, but there's also some weak deliveries and at times her emoting is just too much, which is more visible since the best of the cast have clearly mastered saying more with smaller means. But as said, Gadot is good enough to make it work, and that's a win in my book judging by her BvS performance.

Themyscira was a very nice location and the clearly best part of the movie. I definitely want to go back there again. The movie dips after they leave, gets a bit better with the war but unfortunately has it's biggest weakness in the third act.

Feeling a bit lazy, so I'll just leave it at giving it a 7/10 for now. Good movie.

Finally got to see it this afternoon. Loved it and looking forward to see where they go with Wondy in her solos. Favorite DCEU film to date. Gave it a 9/10

The best DC film in a long damn time. 7.6/10.

Like your weave, I couldn't keep still during that scene either.

I even got a bit teary thinking about the ending on the way home :csad:

You know I went to this with my BFF Mandon Knight last night and it blew me away. It's stayed with me ever since and I was trying to sum up in words why. You nailed it.

It was just a very emotional and heartfelt film. I thought the relationship between Diana and Steve was so incredibly well portrayed. I also loved how it elevated and celebrated women and managed to convey important messages about equality and compassion without being too clumsily on the nose. The No Man's Land's scene was epic and what a statement that was.

Everything about it was superb and if there's ever a fantastic argument for diversity and inclusion it's this film. It was just refreshing to see women not be there just to satiate some men's desire for eye candy. If this was another film with women in scantily clad armour you know the camera would've been lingering on them uncomfortably But it just showed them as they are and gave an interesting look at an all-woman society.

I was also impressed with the characterisation of Steve Trevor. He didn't try and overshadow or patronise Diana. Yes he was trying to look out for her as he cared for her deeply but there was never a moment where he resented standing next to a strong woman or felt embarrassed by it and made throwaway jokes about being 'saved by a girl'.

I cannot wait to see Diana Prince/Wonder Woman return in the Justice League. One highlight for me will be Batman and Wonder Woman's professional relationship and seeing a new family grow. Bravo all!

Due to ill health, I've only had chance to see the movie today, and here is my brief review:

Fantastic... right up until third act, when it rather descends into your boring, run of the mill CGI superhero punch up. Before that though, it's one of the most enjoyable full blown superhero movies I've ever seen. The sequence when she goes 'over the top' in the trenches in sublime. The whole tone of the movie is spot on, and performances are universally good, even Gadot, who is absolutely mesmerising. The plot is hokey, but I loved the message it gives about warfare and mankind. As is say, if the ending had been a little braver, and a little less by the numbers, this would have been a stone cold 9/10. As is stands though, an extremely good 8/10 and the best of the four DCEU movies. :up:

EDIT: watched it three times now. 9 out of ten. Easy 9 out of ten. The climax improves after a few viewings. Gal Gadot's smile should be made the 8th wonder of the world.

Last edited:
This is one of the most stupidest reviews of WW I've ever read. It's like the woman saw a different film or completely got the wrong end of the stick. Some things sound wholly inaccurate

Why Wonder Woman isn’t the feminist fantasy we’ve been told it is

http://metro.co.uk/2017/06/24/why-w...eminist-fantasy-weve-been-told-it-is-6731062/

And this sounds particularly stupid:

Let’s start with Themyscira, a feminist utopia that consists purely of Victoria’s Secret Angels (did anyone else roll their eyes at Doutzen Kroes’ cameo?).

The only woman with any form of imperfection was Robin Wright’s character, General Antiope, who sported a prominent battle scar on her shoulder. She looked all the more convincing – and fierce – for it, but where were the other wounded? Or the non-supermodels?

They were all mostly athletes not Victoria's Secret angels. Doutzen Kroes was one of the few models there and you could barely even notice her enough to roll your eyes. I didn't even see her.

And this sounds totally taken out of context

Speaking of appearance, one admiring character describes Prince as ‘the most beautiful woman you’ve ever seen.’ What impossible standards we set ourselves.

Yeah, that kind of sounds like an "agenda" review. I have a *much* tighter definition of such then some, but. . . yeah.

This is one of the most stupidest reviews of WW I've ever read...

It strikes me as an amalgam of a quasi-scholarly critique (the sort you find in esoteric/political film journals) and a mainstream “consumer advocacy” movie review. And in trying to serve two distinct readerships (as it were), it’s kind of a sloppy mess.

I just read it now. Just a very negative review. I didn't enjoy WW because of 'scantily clad' women but because the film was outstanding. Everything from the portrayal of the Amazons, to the depiction of Wonder Woman, what she stood for and her interaction with the characters. How can you pour such invective on this film?

If all the reviews had been like that, it would've gotten a poor word of mouth because people would think it was just some male fantasy film, especially if you just describe all the Amazons as Victoria's Secret models, which they weren't. Doutzen Kroes is not noticeable at all, especially among all those other athletes who stood out far more. I didn't even know which one she was in the midst of all the action and wasn't even looking out for her to even be able to roll my eyes at the fact she was in the movie.

That reviewer must be a blast to hang out with. F$#@ me.

When the review included the words "Wonder Woman is a ... able bodied Zionist" you knew the reviewer had an agenda totally unrelated to whether the movie was any good or not.

Finally saw this.

This film works because of the two leads Gadot and Pine. Gal specifically has a very wholesome, angelic presence to her that is a stark contrast to the moody/cynical DCEU heroes who came before her. In fact I have to give it up to Patty Jenkins for getting the most she could out of Gadot. You can't help but not like her. I should also commend the sets and locations they filmed - absolutely great job for a period piece.

That being, I think this movie got somewhat of a pass from critics in many respects - specifically ones afraid to criticize the first real big time female superhero film in decades (also direct by a female nonetheless). It drags in the third act that is way too long. The villain has no development outside of a prologue and his twist was unearned. That final fight was reminiscent of the dark explosion-fest that happened in BvS (seemed like quite the Snyder-influence). I knew this was going to happen based on the trailers, but Jenkin's lack of familiarity with action sequences was glaring. There was just waaaaaay too much slow mo.

Luckily for this film, the previous DECU installments were so bad that it helps going easy on the flaws in this one. They really need to fine tune their craft in the editing suite though. We've seen two movies that were cut up too much and now one that wasn't cut up enough. My favorite sequence in the film was Diana kicking ass in the small town with her lasso of truth. Favorite quote was her comment about the watch, which could have easily been confused for Steve's little friend. LOL

Last edited:
You know I went to this with my BFF Mandon Knight last night and it blew me away. It's stayed with me ever since and I was trying to sum up in words why. You nailed it.

It was just a very emotional and heartfelt film. I thought the relationship between Diana and Steve was so incredibly well portrayed. I also loved how it elevated and celebrated women and managed to convey important messages about equality and compassion without being too clumsily on the nose. The No Man's Land's scene was epic and what a statement that was.

Everything about it was superb and if there's ever a fantastic argument for diversity and inclusion it's this film. It was just refreshing to see women not be there just to satiate some men's desire for eye candy. If this was another film with women in scantily clad armour you know the camera would've been lingering on them uncomfortably But it just showed them as they are and gave an interesting look at an all-woman society.

I was also impressed with the characterisation of Steve Trevor. He didn't try and overshadow or patronise Diana. Yes he was trying to look out for her as he cared for her deeply but there was never a moment where he resented standing next to a strong woman or felt embarrassed by it and made throwaway jokes about being 'saved by a girl'.

I cannot wait to see Diana Prince/Wonder Woman return in the Justice League. One highlight for me will be Batman and Wonder Woman's professional relationship and seeing a new family grow. Bravo all!

:up:

I was just thinking about Diana in the Justice League movie. More WW in the modern day! People have been saying they want to see WW in the modern day for the sequel, but then Patty seemed to suggest we will be getting more WW in the past, throughout history. But we are still getting Wonder Woman/Diana Prince in the modern times, surrounded by the awesome JL and modern tech so that will be great.

Due to ill health, I've only had chance to see the movie today, and here is my brief review:

Fantastic... right up until third act, when it rather descends into your boring, run of the mill CGI superhero punch up. Before that though, it's one of the most enjoyable full blown superhero movies I've ever seen. The sequence when she goes 'over the top' in the trenches in sublime. The whole tone of the movie is spot on, and performances are universally good, even Gadot, who is absolutely mesmerising. The plot is hokey, but I loved the message it gives about warfare and mankind. As is say, if the ending had been a little braver, and a little less by the numbers, this would have been a stone cold 9/10. As is stands though, an extremely good 8/10 and the best of the four DCEU movies. :up:

EDIT: watched it three times now. 9 out of ten. Easy 9 out of ten. The climax improves after a few viewings. Gal Gadot's smile should be made the 8th wonder of the world.

I recently read a review that said the final battle worked better metaphorically, and I agree. It was more than just another action set piece. We saw more of Diana's inner turmoil, her struggle, Ares testing her beliefs etc. That's why it worked. The best action scene of the movie to me was when they infiltrated and saved the town.

That's what elevated the No Man's Land scene as well. It was more than just an action scene, it was about what it meant. That Diana chose to go there, that a woman was going into that place.

This is one of the most stupidest reviews of WW I've ever read. It's like the woman saw a different film or completely got the wrong end of the stick. Some things sound wholly inaccurate

Why Wonder Woman isn’t the feminist fantasy we’ve been told it is

http://metro.co.uk/2017/06/24/why-w...eminist-fantasy-weve-been-told-it-is-6731062/

Let’s start with Themyscira, a feminist utopia that consists purely of Victoria’s Secret Angels (did anyone else roll their eyes at Doutzen Kroes’ cameo?).

It says a lot about the film when the Amazons of Themyscira’s council looked more like the harem in Mad Max: Fury Road than a highly trained army of ruthless warriors.
Well, that's not accurate -

Among the cast is American CrossFit champion Brooke Ence, Swedish fighter Madeleine Vall Beijner, farmer Clare Duncan, and martial artist Mayling Ng, just to name a few.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...nder-Woman-s-pro-athlete-Amazon-warriors.html

Also,

https://moviepilot.com/p/wonder-woman-amazons-real-life-athletes/4282575

http://whatchareading.com/meet-amazons-themyscira-2017s-wonder-woman/#.WU_AwbaLnIU

And, female boxer Ann Wolfe was cast as Artemis, hardly a bunch of Victoria’s Secret models.

Last edited:
I feel that that reviewer didn't even watch the movie but heard about it second hand from someone else and saw online that Doutzen Kroes had a cameo so latched onto that while collectively looking at all the other Amazons in passing and dismissing them as Victoria's secret models.

I think there are real criticisms to be seen in the final product, things that should be discussed in terms of a film with the most recognizable super heroine of seven decades, good, bad and indifferent. But these critiques some come up with are head scratchers for sure. The leaders on the island, Antiope and Hippolyta both are played by actresses in their fifties. The Amazons are shown to be capable and amazing fantasy warriors and at no time do they en mass act like school girls or something around Trevor.

Critics... Stop with the unfounded and unnecessary snark and start with a legitimate argument about things obviously present in the film.

If anything, I think there's been surprisingly little of the type of reaction represented by that article, from any angle of gender politics.

I have seen a piece or two, in addition to that one, but, given how polarizing these issues are in the current climate, it's been pretty insignificant.

(Compare, for example, with how much traction the "women's only" screenings got for a while there, prior to the opening.)

Given the potential minefield this film represents in that area, I think it's remarkable that most of the focus has not really been on the gender politics aspect.

Last edited:
Finally saw this.

This film works because of the two leads Gadot and Pine. Gal specifically has a very wholesome, angelic presence to her that is a stark contrast to the moody/cynical DCEU heroes who came before her. In fact I have to give it up to Patty Jenkins for getting the most she could out of Gadot. You can't help but not like her. I should also commend the sets and locations they filmed - absolutely great job for a period piece.

That being, I think this movie got somewhat of a pass from critics in many respects - specifically ones afraid to criticize the first real big time female superhero film in decades (also direct by a female nonetheless). It drags in the third act that is way too long. The villain has no development outside of a prologue and unearned twist. That final fight was reminiscent of the dark explosion-fest that happened in BvS (seemed like quite the Snyder-influence). I knew this was going to happen based on the trailers, but Jenkin's lack of familiarity with action sequences was glaring. There was just waaaaaay too much slow mo.

Luckily for this film, the previous DECU installments were so bad that it helps going easy on the flaws that are here. They really need to fine tune their craft in the editing suite though. We've seen two movies that were cut up too much and now one that wasn't cut up enough. My favorite sequence in the film was Diana kicking ass in the small town with her lasso of truth. Favorite quote was her comment about the watch, which could have easily been confused for Steve's little friend. LOL

While I think that's a fair review. I personally think that Jenkins handles action scenes deftly, having WW flip around and use various weapons really fast, and using slo-mo for dramatic hits (in an Arkham style/Zack Snyder style).

It's only in the final battle where I think a better combination of fighting styles could have been used.

Having the final villain be beat down rather than merely redirected with powers would be more exciting, imho.

Well, that's not accurate -

And, female boxer Ann Wolfe was cast as Artemis, hardly a bunch of Victoria’s Secret models.

Yes, I am wondering how anyone could confuse Ann Wolfe's Artemis with a Victoria's Secrets model. She is the very definition of a formidable woman.

attachment.php

She has bigger arm muscles than a lot of men.

258d76b6f645d65c33b42a3d2bc4e05b--female-boxers-photo-shoots.jpg

Yes, I am wondering how anyone could confuse Ann Wolfe's Artemis with a Victoria's Secrets model. She is the very definition of a formidable woman.

attachment.php

She has bigger arm muscles than a lot of men.

258d76b6f645d65c33b42a3d2bc4e05b--female-boxers-photo-shoots.jpg

Because I don't even feel that reviewer even saw the film but just wanted to find things to criticise about the movie and saw online that Doutzen Kroes had a small role so immediately assumed that all the Amazons must be Victoria's Secret Angels. With all the other athletes though with all their muscles, I think Doutzen must've been the least noticeable of all of them. If she had actually watched the movie she wouldn't be able to actually justifably say what she said.

It's like I've heard people say that the reason that WW was banned in countries like Lebanon was because of the overt lesbianism in it, when in fact it was all to do with Gal's nationality being Israeli. But these people haven't even watched the movie.

I guess i'm the odd ball and I don't enjoy as much as you guys. the wow factor is low to say it blandly.

Why did WW walk away from mankind??? was she betrayed??? did she see the ugly sides of the mankind??? or it was too painful losing her love???

I found WW movie contradicting it's own premise and BvS. She met mostly the good people. people fighting and the bad people... because Ares poisoned them by planting evil ideas into their mind. once she killed Ares, all the Germans took off the hideous masks, and shown their good looking innocent faces. what a beautiful world... therefore people are beautiful and good just like what in her mind. so why still walk away???

i thought she should continue protecting them... as all she has seen are good people and suffering... and from the dialogue at the end of BvS, you would have thought the humankind has betrayed her and disappointed her too deeply. but it wasn't the case.

the sudden appeareance of Ares in the end piss me off no end. it destroyed everything. (earlier WW thought humankind was destroying each other and not because of Ares) and i also didn't get the romance. when did she fall for him??? love in 1st sight???

and if a god slaying sword didn't exist, what kinda sword she used to chop off Doomsday's hand??? she disappeared after WW1 and she couldn't return to amazon. therefore, she only has 1 fighting experience i suppose (since she walked away) why made her so expert in fighting??? and be able to withstand Doomsday???!!! and i suppose her power would 'upgrade' just like any video game... earlier bullets can stop her and harm her??? she couldn't ever break free from a metal plate!!!??? anyway, her final power (after defeating Ares) can't match superman's power. therefore making BvS final shown questionable. and i thought Zack said she was 400+ years old!!!???

And no one blink an eye when she slaughtered. because they were bad Germans??? wasn't she written as some sorta of god of love; using mostly shield and rope; to protect instead of to kill???

my conclusion is... Critics dictate and rule. WW wasn't put under a microscope like they did to previous DCEU movies. As long as they love and like the movie, it will be praised no end and triumph. Critics are the King maker.

i have seen a better WW.

Why did WW walk away from mankind???

This movie essentially ignores that idea from BvS, without necessarily contradicting it outright (but I think it comes pretty close).

To reconcile the two, one would have to posit that Diana's disillusionment with humanity came at some intermediary moment, between the WW1 era and the present time, a moment that this movie does not portray.

Or one would have to argue that the lines in BvS mean something different from what they seem to mean on the surface.

But I think it's fair to say that Jenkins simply did not like that idea, and chose to present the character differently.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"