Wonder Woman - Review Thread [TAG SPOILERS]

But I have to say, some of the lines in this film were just fantastic. So even though I thought script could have used some refining, a lot of dialogues and lines were great. Some things Diana, Steve, Sameer had to say really moved me.

what I posted on my FB-

My thoughts on Wonder Woman:

DC didn't screw the pooch and it's pretty good. The first two acts were amazing and the No Man's Land set piece was brilliant but the 3rd act dragged on and was poorly paced.

Its not as amazing as Rotten Tomatoes says it is a step in the right direction for DC. id give it a 7.5/10.

Not sure where you divide up the film between the 2nd and 3rd act. Traditionally the 3rd act isn't very long and usually takes place after a crisis of sorts, either with the hero suffering a crisis of faith or a falling out between the two main characters. That's why the period between the 2nd and 3rd act is often referred to as an "end of 2nd act crisis". The 3rd act can be relatively short, with the hero resolving to turn things around or making a run towards the finish line.

So I would really only call the point where
Diana thinks that Steve and everyone else has also been deceived by Ares the end of the 2nd act, after Steve stopped her from killing Ludendorff. After that she resolved to make things better even without any help from anyone else, and was determined to kill Ludendorff to end the war.

Any part before that I would still say was within the 2nd act, which is usually the longest part of a story.

The acts aren't usually divided up equally within a story. It's always the 2nd which is the longest, with the 3rd usually the shortest.

So what you might think have dragged may still have been in the 2nd act.

:funny:

Thanks for writing my summary of the film. :yay:

Yet Man of Steel and Batman v Superman UE totally blew me away (while I can agree BvS is in some aspects rather weird film, MoS is just pure awesomeness, the best post-Nolan CBM hands down, for me, of course) so I cannot agree with those saying WW is the best DCEU film no problem.

• Gal and Chris were the best things about this film.
And I liked the supporting cast a lot too, actually, especially the characters of Steve's band, Etta, Dr. Maru and Hippolyta.
Ares was miscast and miss-designed. A greek god of war with a fluffy moustache? Really?
• Story was good, but that's that. Screenplay would benefit from some (in some places a lot more) additional work for sure.
• Action was good, some moments great, some slo-mo was too much, but generally far from Snyder's utterly fantastic MoS stuff. Those action sequences are still the best in CBM genre by far IMO.
• Soundtrack was so-so.
• I really liked the philosophical aspect of [BLACKOUT]you have to decide and act, no superhero can do it for you[/BLACKOUT]
• I liked the tone of the film and humor was very natural and funny, not some stupid forced "funny" dialogues and one-liners à la GotG Vol 2 (yea, sorry, that was the worst usage of "humor" in any CBM I've seen).

• So, again, I enjoyed it but was not blown away by any means. ...And here comes the heresy!!! :woot: Even though this film was better, I enjoyed Suicide Squad much more. :hehe:

Regarding her power level
I thought it was really uneven. Why does she need sword or shield when she can take tower falling at her no problem. I get she needs weapons when fighting something like Doomsday, but bunch of human soldiers?
They are did not show any clues to spot her power progress or if it's even a thing or what...
Regarding the gas
I thought they released that brutal destructive gas at the end, but everything hit by it was "just killed" and Steve just coughed when he got near. That was really a WTF moment.

I don't know if Ares was miscast as such. Certainly I don't think

Sir Patrick was miscast, because otherwise there couldn't have been the surprise twist. He had to seem like a stuffy old British gentleman whom you'd least suspect, and not a tough or menacing villain.

Now maybe once he was revealed as Ares he could've transformed into someone else who was more menacing, but Jenkins probably decided against that because he would suddenly seem like a character pulled out of nowhere and audiences wouldn't be able to see him as the same person from earlier in the film. Also, it might not have been very fair on David Thewlis.

I think we just need to think of it that Ares can assume any form, and that Sir Patrick was not his true form but just the form he had adopted at the time and didn't change back. He could've changed into someone more intimidating with a completely different actor in the role for the final battle, but he didn't for reasons mentioned already.

But as far as Sir Patrick goes, I don't think he was miscast.

One other complaint I had now that I've had time to digest a bit (I'll just spoiler tag it to be safe but it's pretty minor):

I didn't like that Diana's accidental use of her powers were right before Steve crash landed. Seems like an awful big coincidence, even narratively speaking, all that crazy stuff happening to Diana right then and there. Would have been better if she had time to go over it before Steve crashed.

I said this already that

I wished there were a whole sequence of Diana discovering her powers for the first time in addition to realising that her bracelets can deflect things. She needed to revel in the exhilaration of being super strong, being able to leap high and perform other wondrous feats. Instead, it was as if she almost took it for granted that she had super powers. She should've been surprised at first that she was not like any other Amazon and could do things none of them could do. It should've been a sequence like Clark discovering his powers in Superman the movie and then racing against the train, or Peter Parker discovering his powers in Raimi's Spider-Man, or Tony Stark testing out his armour and going for the first flight in Iron Man 1.

Then after that they could've had her seeing Steve's plane crashing and her going to rescue him.

Also, that would've been a good time to have a discussion with Hippolyta about her actual origin. She might wonder why she was different and question whether she was really made from clay or whether she was actually a demi-goddess.

I assume that this is what we were to understand in the movie, that the traditional clay origin was just something her mother told her but that it wasn't true?

By the way, any theory about where was Wonder Woman during WW 2 and the Holocaust?

Helping as best she can, but not as a public, costumed hero running around with a sword and shield. Wonder Woman is awesome, but she couldn't have single handedly stopped WWII. I have no doubts that she was being heroic during those events, unless they canonically tell us otherwise (and if they do, then I would seriously question their understanding of the character).

I don't know if Ares was miscast as such. Certainly I don't think

Sir Patrick was miscast, because otherwise there couldn't have been the surprise twist. He had to seem like a stuffy old British gentleman whom you'd least suspect, and not a tough or menacing villain.

Now maybe once he was revealed as Ares he could've transformed into someone else who was more menacing, but Jenkins probably decided against that because he would suddenly seem like a character pulled out of nowhere and audiences wouldn't be able to see him as the same person from earlier in the film. Also, it might not have been very fair on David Thewlis.

I think we just need to think of it that Ares can assume any form, and that Sir Patrick was not his true form but just the form he had adopted at the time and didn't change back. He could've changed into someone more intimidating with a completely different actor in the role for the final battle, but he didn't for reasons mentioned already.

But as far as Sir Patrick goes, I don't think he was miscast.

Yea, I think you've worded it better than me.

David Thewlis is a great actor. Maybe I'd like him to be just a disguise, but yea, that could be confusing for the audience so they decided to do it the way they did it.

Oh my, I couldn't be happier for everybody involved with this project. I'm almost brought to tears thinking about how well-deserved accolades are for Gal Gadot, after some of the pure vitriol when she was first cast. Not only that, but the rest of the cast and Patty and Geoff. They all brought A+ games. And the crew, too. This movie succeeds on the backs of their passion and hard work. So, before I get too much into my review, I'm going to throw out that congrats.

Gal has joined that rarefied club with Christopher Reeve and Chris Evans in pitch-perfect casting and pure embodiment of their respective characters. I've never seen such an ability to make myself feel so fantastically hopeful as those three. In a movie stacked with not one slip in performances, and some of the best talent in Hollywood, the movie is always buoyed by Gal.

You could throw a dart at any aspect of this movie and production and hit a positive. I'm going to save myself time before I have to go to the office and just mention a few of the quibbles I have with the film. Like a lot of people, I walked away feeling the pacing problem in the second half. I realized I didn't particularly notice it during the film, but came out of the theater noticing that everything after the night in the village was a touch off. It's just a nitpick since it really didn't occur to me while watching, but struck me after the fact. My only other quibble is the end of the movie. I feel like there was obvious change - either through rewrite prior to filming or a reshoot - somewhere around the moment Diana and Steve have together before he gets on the plane. I think the death was there, but I think they went back and wrote around it to get a bit of an uplift in there. Which is fine, other than a sense of it being somewhat disjointed. I only resented the soldiers kind of waking up. I hated that. It really undermined Ares' point that he wasn't really corrupting man, but just sort of helping them bring about their own destruction through a darkness already existing within humanity.

Again, I loved pretty much everything about this film. It was a labor of love from everyone involved, and that came through in the final product. As much as I want to pat everyone on the back that we finally got such a great DC movie and a female-led/directed superhero movie and all that, I can't help but direct all that to cast and crew. I want Buddy the elf to walk up to every last person involved and say "You did it!"

Oh my, I couldn't be happier for everybody involved with this project. I'm almost brought to tears thinking about how well-deserved accolades are for Gal Gadot, after some of the pure vitriol when she was first cast. Not only that, but the rest of the cast and Patty and Geoff. They all brought A+ games. And the crew, too. This movie succeeds on the backs of their passion and hard work. So, before I get too much into my review, I'm going to throw out that congrats.

Gal has joined that rarefied club with Christopher Reeve and Chris Evans in pitch-perfect casting and pure embodiment of their respective characters. I've never seen such an ability to make myself feel so fantastically hopeful as those three. In a movie stacked with not one slip in performances, and some of the best talent in Hollywood, the movie is always buoyed by Gal.

You could throw a dart at any aspect of this movie and production and hit a positive. I'm going to save myself time before I have to go to the office and just mention a few of the quibbles I have with the film. Like a lot of people, I walked away feeling the pacing problem in the second half. I realized I didn't particularly notice it during the film, but came out of the theater noticing that everything after the night in the village was a touch off. It's just a nitpick since it really didn't occur to me while watching, but struck me after the fact. My only other quibble is the end of the movie. I feel like there was obvious change - either through rewrite prior to filming or a reshoot - somewhere around the moment Diana and Steve have together before he gets on the plane. I think the death was there, but I think they went back and wrote around it to get a bit of an uplift in there. Which is fine, other than a sense of it being somewhat disjointed. I only resented the soldiers kind of waking up. I hated that. It really undermined Ares' point that he wasn't really corrupting man, but just sort of helping them bring about their own destruction through a darkness already existing within humanity.

Again, I loved pretty much everything about this film. It was a labor of love from everyone involved, and that came through in the final product. As much as I want to pat everyone on the back that we finally got such a great DC movie and a female-led/directed superhero movie and all that, I can't help but direct all that to cast and crew. I want Buddy the elf to walk up to every last person involved and say "You did it!"

Good review. I know what you mean about something towards the end feeling disjointed.

I was actually surprised with the complexity of the WW character and Gal's portrayal. I didn't expect her to feel so conflicted, anguished and tortured. Not in an angsty way, but because she wanted the best for people and humanity. I thought she would be more naive, but she had conviction- she knew what she wanted, she decided what she wanted. She made mistakes. She made difficult choices.

scifiwolf: Agreed. I think that weird pacing and some parts feeling slightly disjointed somewhat threw me off so I felt the script is weird but on the other hand the script done some things really well.

Yea, "waking up" of soldiers was a mistake, IMO.

And yea, Gal is WW. :ilv: She has that kind-hearted something in her that just shines all around her and much more...
Willi Berg said:
I was actually surprised with the complexity of the WW character and Gal's portrayal. I didn't expect her to feel so conflicted, anguished and tortured. Not in an angsty way, but because she wanted the best for people and humanity.
This.

Spot on casting!

Yea, I think you've worded it better than me.

David Thewlis is a great actor. Maybe I'd like him to be just a disguise, but yea, that could be confusing for the audience so they decided to do it the way they did it.

The only way I think they could've done it is to

a) Include a completely different and more menacing character we see earlier in the movie whom we know to be Ares, played by a different actor. He could've been shown during the part where Hippolyta is telling Diana the story of how Ares was banished from Olympus. He could even appear at different times in the story and we just think he's a different character to Sir Patrick. When David Thewlis is revealed to be Ares, only then do we realise he's one and the same all along. Then if they did use the other actor in the finale he wouldn't feel like he was pulled out of nowhere. It would be a simple task of just having two actors playing Ares instead of one.

b) Beef up Thewlis's role slighly, so that he doesn't feel shortchanged and so that we really don't get any feel for him being Ares but purely one of the good guys. Really though, anyone could've been revealed as Ares: Sameer, Charlie, the Chief, or even Etta Candy, although that would've probably gone down a **** storm if that last one happened and been extremely divisive, so I'm glad they didn't make her Ares.

I think this was a solid, well made movie and an excellent adaption of the Wonder Woman character. Her personality, abilities and origin were all handled perfectly. She's likeable and formidable. The action scenes are great. I especially like the physics and portrayal of the superhuman abilities.
Overall, I was very impressed. This movie really succeeds in doing Wonder Woman justice, and it didn't even really change the source material, unlike many other super hero movies. For the first time, I felt like I was seeing a female superhero that was as iconic as Superman and the other most popular characters of the genre.

There were only a couple of flaws in my opinion, the biggest one being the villains.

I think Dr Poison was great as a concept, being a mad scientist that experiments on people, but along with having a couple of really cringey lines, she just didn't seem scary enough. She didn't project an aura of evil that was strong enough for my taste.
I'm not sure if it was the actress or the direction, but the whole time she was on screen I felt like she needed to be a colder, morbid, more twisted person. It might have helped if her appearance was more sickly and corpse like too.

Ares was downright disappointing. Not intimidating or interesting. Made the ending very anticlimactic. The German general was a better, more believable bad guy, and I actually had no problem with him at all.

Other than that, there were some minor pacing issues towards the end of the film, but that's pretty much it. I noticed the reference to the ice cream scene from Justice League: war, but it was quick and not as good, so it felt a bit pointless.

solid , good film . Chris Pine was the standout and carried most of the movie. Gadot was suited to the character and showed heart. However it did irritate me that most, it not all the Amazons mimiced her accent. Also the wonder woman theme music and some of the cgi takes me out of the movie. 7 out of 10

I loved this film. Gal slayed it :D

Really liked the movie. I was not bothered by -

* Accents
* CGI
* Third act battle.

Only gripe is that certain scenes looked a bit too dark. Otherwise a great film.

8/10.

Really liked the movie. I was not bothered by -

* Accents
* CGI
* Third act battle.

Only gripe is that certain scenes looked a bit too dark. Otherwise a great film.

8/10.

I agree about some of the dark scenes. It was too dark.

It was really good. Gal Gadot and Chris Pine were both great, and their chemistry together was fantastic. The rest of the supporting players were solid as well.

My only real critique of any substance (yeah the slo-mo was too much in some places, but that didn't bother me too much) was that yeah the villains were weak (although Ares had an interesting philosophy at least).

But perhaps I'm so used to these films have underwhelming villains, and the fact that this is an origin story, that it didn't kill the movie for me by any means. And you know, just something to work on for next time.

I'd probably give it somewhere between an 8.5-9/10 right now. It's definitely the best DC-related film since TDK, easily.

Not really much of a review, but I wanted to share my thoughts and experience.

Like many WW fans, I've felt like I've waited my whole like for this film. So many close calls through the years, but nothing quite stuck. There was a time when I honestly thought a Wonder Woman film was but a pipe dream.
Finally, BvS was announced and Wonder Woman was cast. I was very happy. I wouldn't say I ever had my doubts about Gadot, but I understand why people did. Here we have a model and actress only seen in small parts portraying arguably THE greatest female character ever.
Along came BvS. Not a great movie, but I loved every bit with Diana in it.
Fast forward to now.
A Wonder Woman is finally a reality.
I stayed away from most spoilers and discussions. And it's funny, because I was always "excited" to watch it, but it didn't really hit me until I was sitting in the theatre yesterday evening.

I cried. A lot. Yeah, it may seem lame and cheesy, but this character means a lot to me. It was a very moving and cathartic experience.

I loved the film so much. It's what I always wanted. Gadot was perfect. Diana was warm, loving, compassionate, strong, and daring. She wasn't this blood thirsty warrior that I feel the character has become a bit over the years. Jenkins and Co. really got it. They really got her.
I'm so happy the film is being so well received.
To me, it was very important that this film be completely standalone. I want to be able to watch this film in 10-20 years and not have to watch anything else. That is what we got.(sure, the book end scenes are present day and lead back to BVS, but it really isn't important to watch that to understand those scenes. They tied back into the continuity very loosely)

This is by far one of the best films ever, for me. Not just comic films, but films in general. I need to see it again because so many times throughout the film I pulled myself out and thought, "I can't believe I'm watching a Wonder Woman movie."

Thank you Patty Jenkins. Thank you Gal Gadot. Thank you to everyone involved in the making of this film. You made my dreams come true.

9/10 for me.
The villain could have been a bit stronger, but that's okay.

Not really much of a review, but I wanted to share my thoughts and experience.

Like many WW fans, I've felt like I've waited my whole like for this film. So many close calls through the years, but nothing quite stuck. There was a time when I honestly thought a Wonder Woman film was but a pipe dream.
Finally, BvS was announced and Wonder Woman was cast. I was very happy. I wouldn't say I ever had my doubts about Gadot, but I understand why people did. Here we have a model and actress only seen in small parts portraying arguably THE greatest female character ever.
Along came BvS. Not a great movie, but I loved every bit with Diana in it.
Fast forward to now.
A Wonder Woman is finally a reality.
I stayed away from most spoilers and discussions. And it's funny, because I was always "excited" to watch it, but it didn't really hit me until I was sitting in the theatre yesterday evening.

I cried. A lot. Yeah, it may seem lame and cheesy, but this character means a lot to me. It was a very moving and cathartic experience.

I loved the film so much. It's what I always wanted. Gadot was perfect. Diana was warm, loving, compassionate, strong, and daring. She wasn't this blood thirsty warrior that I feel the character has become a bit over the years. Jenkins and Co. really got it. They really got her.
I'm so happy the film is being so well received.
To me, it was very important that this film be completely standalone. I want to be able to watch this film in 10-20 years and not have to watch anything else. That is what we got.(sure, the book end scenes are present day and lead back to BVS, but it really isn't important to watch that to understand those scenes. They tied back into the continuity very loosely)

This is by far one of the best films ever, for me. Not just comic films, but films in general. I need to see it again because so many times throughout the film I pulled myself out and thought, "I can't believe I'm watching a Wonder Woman movie."

Thank you Patty Jenkins. Thank you Gal Gadot. Thank you to everyone involved in the making of this film. You made my dreams come true.

9/10 for me.
The villain could have been a bit stronger, but that's okay.

I think even in 10-20 years time, the bookends won't matter. For fans who have seen BvS, they will get the reference. But for those who haven't, it still works perfectly and could just be like bookends at the beginning and end of Titanic. They aren't scenes which will confuse the audience at all and can be viewed in their own right as a movie independent of the others.

The bookends connect to BvS in a way that satisfies fans of that movie, but for a casual viewer they don't need that background information to follow what's going on. There's an old photo which leads her to reminisce about the past.

I do wish they had let Diana get dirty in this film lol. She was walkin around in mud, dirt, buildings collapsing on her and she looked like she just took a bath each time lol.

One of the best origin movies I have ever seen. Good job to everyone involved with the film! And Gal Gadot is love.

My initial rating for this movie right after coming out of the theatre was 8/10. Now that I'm processing it more and more in my head it feels closer to a 9.

My initial rating for this movie right after coming out of the theatre was 8/10. Now that I'm processing it more and more in my head it feels closer to a 9.

That's where I am. I let it marinate enough, and realized that the flaws knocked it down from a 10 for me, and they're not the worst flaws. The positives are all so perfect that the movie really holds up upon reflection and probably repeat viewings.

Loved this MOVIE!!!!

The difference between this and MOS and BVS is.....

NOTHING!!!

All of them are great and I loved all of them which I don't get why the critics dumped on the first two.

Gal Gadot is amazing!! Her innocence and beauty is great playing WW.

This is better than First Avenger because there are MORE WW action scenes than Captain America action scenes on his first film.

And wow!! The action scenes were awesome then add that WW theme music and its ON!!

My only gripe for now, is that NO OnE actually called her Wonder Woman OR the name Wonder Woman was not even mentioned!!

That is probably the first time in a superhero movie or any movie that the Title or Title name was never mentioned.

That's where I am. I let it marinate enough, and realized that the flaws knocked it down from a 10 for me, and they're not the worst flaws. The positives are all so perfect that the movie really holds up upon reflection and probably repeat viewings.

Couldn't have said it better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"