Wonder Woman Rotten Tomatoes Prediction Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually think Wonder Woman will be the DC movie that breaks the DC curse.

Which would be a huge irony, given Warners lack of interest in the character over the years.

I would hope this is the case. I hope that WW is successful enough that all the critics are saying that WW should be the character that carries the DCEU from now on and should be front and centre.

I need WW to do well in RT/BO/story, after 3 mediocre/underwhelming movies I need a light at the end of the tunnel.

I think the biggest question will be "Does WB panic about Suicide Squad and invoke the deadly last minute meddling?" If they do that, its screwed. Otherwise, it has a chance, being disconnected from the time period of the earlier movies, having less Snyder influence, and Geoff Johns theoretically being a positive factor for the first time.

I think the biggest question will be "Does WB panic about Suicide Squad and invoke the deadly last minute meddling?" If they do that, its screwed. Otherwise, it has a chance, being disconnected from the time period of the earlier movies, having less Snyder influence, and Geoff Johns theoretically being a positive factor for the first time.

That is the big thing: how much meddling will WB have in the film? WB has the chance to screw it over (and the script might be bad too :/) more than Patty Jenkins and Martin Walsh.

I'm gonna guess 40-50 %. I think the trailer looks to be the exact type of juvenile, melo-dramatic, Simple Snyder, BvS/MOS **** we've come to expect from the DCEU. I think Jenkins is a talented director, but that certainly didn't save SS. I just don't have a lot of faith in it.

But, I think there will be a lot of people who WANT to like this movie and that will lead to a bit of a bump in the scores.

I'm gonna guess 40-50 %. I think the trailer looks to be the exact type of juvenile, melo-dramatic, Simple Snyder, BvS/MOS **** we've come to expect from the DCEU. I think Jenkins is a talented director, but that certainly didn't save SS. I just don't have a lot of faith in it.

But, I think there will be a lot of people who WANT to like this movie and that will lead to a bit of a bump in the scores.

melo-dramatic, Simple Snyder, BvS/MOS

... Because of two to three shots of slo mo? The film's aesthetic is far, far from what Snyder does.

And Jenkins has a far better RT score than Ayer does. And Jenkins has been nominated for and won legitimate awards for directing.

melo-dramatic, Simple Snyder, BvS/MOS

... Because of two to three shots of slo mo? The film's aesthetic is far, far from what Snyder does.

And Jenkins has a far better RT score than Ayer does. And Jenkins has been nominated for and won legitimate awards for directing.

That's nice. She's also only directed one real movie. Her filmography consists of two shorts, part of a Lifetime movie and Monster (which really doesn't indicate that she has the chops to do anything like this). In fact, it reminds me quite a bit of Hulk 2003. Ang Lee had one real success story. Universal thought that would translate into anything. Disaster followed. There is nothing that gives me any confidence that this will be any better.

Also, Jenkins's Twitter tirade in response to the open letter reduces my confidence even more. My prediction is now 30-35 %. I don't know whether the open letter is real or not. I do know that whoever wrote it struck a major nerve with Jenkins. If it were fake, she would've ignored it, let WB's marketing team disavow it and be done with it. After all, anyone in PR will tell you, acknowledging a story gives it credibility. Instead, she felt the need to shoot off 6 or 7 tweets about it, saying how untrue it is, how great of state the movie is in, etc. To me, that is a bad sign. After all, "the lady doth protest too much."

Last edited:
two problems with your logic. One, rotten tomatoes *doesn't* convert movie scores from letters or x/10 into "fresh/rotten". The critics themselves say "do you view this movie as fresh or rotten". There is no inaccuracy: A score is fresh because that critic says its fresh.

Second, your hypothetical scenario isn't really relevant to reality. No movie has every critic giving it the same percentage score, it always follows a bell curve of some shape. Thus, to actually have every score be rotten, the vast majority of those scores are going to be *waaaay* lower than 59%. And that's setting aside the issue that a movie which can't even get *one* critic to give it a passing grade, almost certainly deserves that 0%.

Basically, you say "flaws of rotten tomatoes", when those are really the primary strengths of the site. Compare that to metacritic, which creates the illusion of greater precision, through the means of arbitrarily converting scores into percentile equivalents, and weighting them invisibly besides.

rekt

That's nice. She's also only directed one real movie. Her filmography consists of two shorts, part of a Lifetime movie and Monster (which really doesn't indicate that she has the chops to do anything like this). In fact, it reminds me quite a bit of Hulk 2003. Ang Lee had one real success story. Universal thought that would translate into anything. Disaster followed. There is nothing that gives me any confidence that this will be any better.

Also, Jenkins's Twitter tirade in response to the open letter reduces my confidence even more. My prediction is now 30-35 %. I don't know whether the open letter is real or not. I do know that whoever wrote it struck a major nerve with Jenkins. If it were fake, she would've ignored it, let WB's marketing team disavow it and be done with it. After all, anyone in PR will tell you, acknowledging a story gives it credibility. Instead, she felt the need to shoot off 6 or 7 tweets about it, saying how untrue it is, how great of state the movie is in, etc. To me, that is a bad sign. After all, "the lady doth protest too much."

We'll just ignore the fact that the letter written has a lot of inconsistencies. Also ignore the fact that Paul Shirley, Mark Hughes, Umberto Gonzalez, Jeff Sneider, Faraci and even Dickey are saying it is bull****.

We'll just ignore the fact that the letter written has a lot of inconsistencies. Also ignore the fact that Paul Shirley, Mark Hughes, Umberto Gonzalez, Jeff Sneider, Faraci and even Dickey are saying it is bull****.

I'm not saying that the letter has credibility.

Your logic is flawed. Your logic is if letter is fake, the movie is good. That is faulty logic as the two are not mutually exclusive.

The letter can be fake and still be right. The letter can be fake and the movie can still be bad. Hell, the letter could be real and the movie could still be good (production difficult does not always equate to a bad film, look at Ant Man). The point is, the veracity of one does not affect the quality of the other.

What is alarming, and is the point that I am making, is Jenkins's response. She is the only one who truly knows the state of the movie and she got incredibly defensive about a letter that she believes to be fake. Why? People only get defensive if there is something to be defensive about.

Or, or, stay with me here... she is the type of person who likes to call out bs. It aint just black and white. lol

She is allowed to get emotional and frustrated with bs, regardless if its true or not. Some act like its easy to ignore, but it aint. Everyone gives Gunn props when he straight up dismisses bs about casting or rumors. Hell, Lexi Alexander gave the WW crap for not having any minorities in the crew/casting, and Patty responded as well too.

Last edited:
Since we're so far off, I'm starting low with 60-70% Once we get more promotional stuff I'll probably re-evaluate.

Or, or, stay with me here... she is the type of person who likes to call out bs. It aint just black and white. lol

She is allowed to get emotional and frustrated with bs, regardless if its true or not. Some act like its easy to ignore, but it aint. Everyone gives Gunn props when he straight up dismisses bs about casting or rumors. Hell, Lexi Alexander gave the WW crap for not having any minorities in the crew/casting, and Patty responded as well too.

Whatever you want to believe man. Tell me again how this type of denial worked out for BvS and SS fans. :shrug:

I predict 60%. I would like for it to be higher, obviously.

I would hope this is the case. I hope that WW is successful enough that all the critics are saying that WW should be the character that carries the DCEU from now on and should be front and centre.

No thanks. I like Diana, she's definitely in my top 10. And I'm falling in love with the character now that I'm reading her again for the first time in ages. But that's Superman's role. No ulterior social agenda attached, but the Last Son of Krypton should always be in front. Otherwise it's not DC.

I'm sure this has been said numerous times but just to throw my two cents in: this movie is ten months away from release. Way too early to say it's a mess even if this person were truly in the know. Also Faraci has said that he's heard nothing but good things about the film from all of his sources and from what I've been able to tell he's been on the money thus far.

are you serious right now ??? i dont blame her for being angry she finished shooting this film 3 months ago and now she has some nameless faceless person claiming her movie is a mess 1 year out and every major trade picked up the story and are smearing her work and her name all across hollywood before the film has even been edited together

i'd be pissed too but because she vented it now shows that the film is a mess in your eyes:whatever:

If the movie matches the amazing trailer, I think it's anywhere upwards of 80%. And that would be a big win for DC and WB.

And I hope that it does. Not only because the DCEU desperately NEEDS a film that's critically acclaimed, but also because I'm tired of being wowed by trailers and then disappointed by the movies themselves. That's happened a LOT lately, and I'm not just talking about DC films. You can almost understand why WB hired those trailer guys to recut Suicide Squad; so many trailers look awesome these days but the movies don't measure up.

Critics will hate it, doesn't mean it won't be a good movie.

Critics will hate it, doesn't mean it won't be a good movie.

Conversely, fans liking it doesn't mean its not a bad movie.

The main thing determining its critical response will be the one thing we have basically no data to judge yet: the actual quality of the movie. Trailers. . . really aren't useful, not when the entire DCEU has been a case study in how to use trailers to sell movies.

At this point is anyone really expecting any DCEU movie to be critically acclaimed? And more importantly, does anyone really put stock in what the critics think anymore? I know I don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"