Wonder Woman Rotten Tomatoes Prediction Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
97% is absolutely shocking. The last few movies i remember having that exact score were Mad Max: Fury Road and The Hunt For The Wilderpeople.

I don't want to sound negative but it will come down a few points, also, we need to keep those expectations in check.

While the movie is good, it's not groundbreaking, it's just well made movie with good performances.

OK, Peter Travers (Top Critic who gave 2.5/4) has just posted his review, it's fresh -

rt5.png
Travers seems to have forgotten the combat scenes just after Steve arrived in his complaints that the action took too long to get started. It is weird to see a critic complain about a story taking the time develop its characters and setting instead of going full tilt into action scenes.

It's "just well-made with good performances" :funny: Isn't that "just" what most celebrated movies are? I don't think ground-breaking was the aim here, and one could argue it's already groundbreaking from the perspective of being the first female-lead CBM of any significance.

While the movie is good, it's not groundbreaking, it's just well made movie with good performances.

A movie of this caliber directed by and starring women is certainly groundbreaking.

I don't particularly like horror movies, having already enough of that in real life, being married and all, but I would not begrudge anyone their enjoyment of that genre. My kids love them, so I keep getting them such films, even if I generally don't watch them myself.

I would not dream of reviewing anything I could not judge fairly on its own terms.

That was something Ebert always emphasized. Judge the movie for what it is trying to do, not what we wished it did.

LOL. I remember I was in Smart and Final awhile back and this woman of middle eastern descent left her cart in line and decided to do some more shopping. The lines were pretty crowded, but, fortunately, I was in front of her. This guy (also of middle eastern descent) behind her started putting his stuff on the conveyor belt when it opened up. Just as the checker was finishing up with me, the woman came back and started yelling at the guy "You are the rudest man I've ever met. How does one get raised by a decent family and act this way?" So he starts yelling back at her and saying how inconsiderate she was for just walking away and it was clear she cared nothing for other people and.....so......on.

I stood there watching this, picked up my groceries and said "Have you two ever considered getting married?" They both looked at me with faces that looked like they'd eaten a handful of rotten pistachios. I could barely keep from laughing out loud.

So, my prediction is RT of 89 and 7.4. I also predict no nuptials for Steve and Diana. :woot:

When a movie's commercial success is directly tied with RT rating, which has fair degree of influence over general audience. It's not unusual to feel good that movie is getting good reviews, as it means that people will like it and spread good wom.

It's not about what a particular fan thinks about RT or reviewers but about it's about how the movie will perform at box office, for which it needs a good ratings.

I liked MoS and BvS, despite low ratings those movies got. I don't need to be validated by critics to watch a movie but other people do rely on reviews, so it's natural for fans of the comic book character to feel happy that finally a movie featuring their favorite character is getting rave reviews, which means it will do well commercially.
I don't disagree. Good reviews + good WOM can only help any movie.

But that's not necessarily what I was saying. It's the hypocrisy of some (not all) posters and I don't think I have the time or patience to go through the BvS rotten tomatoes thread and it's sequels and compare it to here. I'm sure I can also pick a lot of good nuggets but I don't want to derail this thread any more.

This is indeed a more positive and optimistic thread and I think it's a solid and much needed boost to the DCEU.

A movie of this caliber directed by and starring women is certainly groundbreaking.

I can't help but dream about a Patty Jenkins directed JL sequel written by Joss, Johns and the rest of the DC Braintrust

would be something

Certainly didn't see 97% coming at all. A shocked by this.

It's the first of it's kind with this kind of budget and with a female director. It is most certainly groundbreaking.

I can't help but dream about a Patty Jenkins directed JL sequel written by Joss, Johns and the rest of the DC Braintrust

would be something

You gotta think that she might angle for obviously WW2 but the ultimate prize would be handed the sequel to JUSTICE LEAGUE as well.

I don't want to sound negative but it will come down a few points, also, we need to keep those expectations in check.

Or it wont.

Or it wont.

Everything is possible, but most the big screenings for the big part of the RT critics haven't happened yet, and the less enthusiastic ones tend to be slower to that punch, so it's quite likely to go down.

Not that it matters though. Anything above 80% is great and grading within that is less relevant imo. WW has secured a great response in my eyes.

The average score of 7.7 indicates it will likely drop a few points, but nothing crazy.

It's weird to see the DCEU going from failing to even scratch at the worst of the MCU's reception, to possibly being better received than the best of it. It's like a pendulum.

It's the first of it's kind with this kind of budget and with a female director. It is most certainly groundbreaking.

I haven't seen it, but if someone who has is of the opinion that it isn't groundbreaking (in the cinematic sense which I think was meant), I don't see that as mitigating "any" of the performances.

I know of very, very few movies in this genre that are considered groundbreaking (I can't think of any really). I agree, however, that having a woman headlining a big budget movie that is directed by a woman IS a groundbreaking step and something we need a lot more of in the movies.

You don't need to be groundbreaking to get a high RT rating. And being groundbreaking doesn't even automatically imply that a movie is any better than a non-groundbreaking movie that is very well made in all areas.

Or the average score could go up and the % stays the same. What's the point of telling someone not to be 'too optimistic' when you know just as much as they do.

Who is this Traverse guy and why do you all care what he says.

As for being groundbreaking in the sense of having a female director get this kind of budget, that's not really groundbreaking in the sense that necessarily creates a movie that's groundbreaking as a movie. That's more breaking grounds in the industry rather than in the art sense.

I'm not saying that it can't be the latter as well, but it's far from a given.

I remember the days when 50% was "too optimistic".

Or the average score could go up and the % stays the same. What's the point of telling someone not to be 'too optimistic' when you know just as much as they do.

We've seen people have legit meltdowns when big movies drop even a few points on the Tomatometer. Understandably, DCEU fans are even more sensitive. :cwink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"