Sequels Wonder Woman sequel: Modern day or set in the past?

Dark Raven

It's not about what you deserve...
Reaction score
Wonder Woman Sequels Should be Justice League Prequels

http://screenrant.com/wonder-woman-sequel-justice-league-prequel/

Sa--d-Taghmaoui-Chris-Pine-and-Gal-Gadot-in-Wonder-Woman.jpg

The world has welcomed Wonder Woman with open arms and with love in our hearts. Director Patty Jenkins’ superhero blockbuster starring Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman is the first certified win for the DC Extended Universe, boasting the highest Rotten Tomatoes score of any DC film since The Dark Knight, as well as garnering widespread critical and audience acclaim. While Wonder Woman will next be seen as part of the Justice League this November, plans for a sequel to her solo film endeavor are, naturally, already under way. Fans can breathe a sigh of relief that Patty Jenkins is returning to helm the next cinematic chapter of Diana Prince’s story, and the sequel is planned to take take things forward in time to a contemporary setting.

Luckily, plans can change. Producer Charles Roven has stated that in this early stage of planning Wonder Woman 2, “nothing has been written” yet. While the modern-day framing sequence at the Louvre and the final moment of Wonder Woman beg for a continuation, it seems like that the answer to those questions will and would best be found in Justice League and its sequels. In terms of Wonder Woman‘s sequels, the best idea for her and her story is to continue looking backward: Wonder Woman‘s sequels should be set in the past.

Whether they intended to or not when the decision was made to set Wonder Woman in World War I, the brain trust at DC Films created a golden opportunity for themselves. Between Wonder Woman‘s 1918 setting and the emergence of Superman (Henry Cavill) in the Black Zero event that introduced Kryptonians to the world in 2013’s Man of Steel, that’s nearly a hundred years of unanswered questions about the history of the DCEU. And by designing Wonder Woman as an immortal goddess who is thousands of years old, they created the ideal character to chart that veritable playground of history. Wonder Woman literally has the entire 20th century of the DCEU to explore.

Wonder-Woman-Movie-Heroes-Cast.jpg

The end of Wonder Woman’s World War I adventure opened up a bevy of questions. What did Diana do next? Where did she go? She couldn’t return to Themyscira – by choosing to accompany Steve Trevor (Chris Pine) to the outside world, her mother Queen Hippolyta (Connie Nielsen) banished Diana from Paradise Island. Or did she attempt to return to Themyscira at some point? How did she ultimately get a job at the Louvre? How was she able to pretend to be “Diana Prince” for a hundred years without people noticing Diana Prince never ages? Or did people notice?

What’s more, the very fact that Wonder Woman involved herself in World War I, and that her actions against General Ludendorff (Danny Huston) and against Ares (David Thewlis) helped end the Great War, changed history. General Ludendorff was an actual historical German leader who wasn’t killed by an Amazon princess in Belgium in the real world. Wonder Woman remaining in the world must have continued to have a butterfly effect on history, by her very existence, not to mention any actions she undertook. It’s hard to believe that after World War I, Diana simply did nothing, went into hiding, and didn’t involve herself in the affairs of mankind in any way since 1918.

However, this is just what Diana claimed at the conclusion of Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice. At Clark Kent’s Smallville funeral, Diana told Bruce Wayne (Ben Affleck), “A hundred years ago I walked away from Mankind… from a century of horrors.” Yet that does not seem to be the lesson the woman who defeated Ares and mourned for Steve Trevor learned at the conclusion of the more optimistic Wonder Woman. Diana learned life-changing lessons, both about herself and her godly nature and about Mankind and our nature. Yes, Diana was plunged into the horrors of war that Mankind was capable of, but she learned Man is also good, that we are complex beings, and we are worth saving, even if we sometimes don’t deserve it. Bitterness about humanity isn’t what Diana learned from World War I, or from the sacrifice of Steve Trevor. This makes what she says to Bruce Wayne all the more jarring – and all the more worth exploring.

Batman-v-Superman-Funeral-Bruce-Diana.jpg

In the same way that FOX’s X-Men movies have found rich stories around how mutants have affected history since the 1960s, Wonder Woman is in a prime position to not just explore but define how the 20th century happened in the DCEU. It’s already been established that Wonder Woman has been active almost 80 years before Bruce Wayne became the Batman and almost a hundred years before the debut of Superman. Wonder Woman’s exploits throughout the century are stories that not only begs to be told, but they would actually help cement her as the most important hero in the DCEU’s history. As an immortal Amazon demigoddess, being able to walk through history and be a major player in the course of the 20th century is a trait that uniquely belongs to Wonder Woman in the DCEU.

In addition, charting Wonder Woman’s exploits for the last hundred years would be a prime opportunity for the sequels to homage the various ways in which Wonder Woman has evolved in the comics and from her popular television series. A movie set in World War II would be a natural direction to go in, which is where Wonder Woman made her first big impact in the comics and it was the setting of the first season of the show starring Lynda Carter. However, it’s understandable that repeating a World War setting may not be creatively ideal.

What about the 1950’s – Wonder Woman in the midst of Cold War paranoia? Or Wonder Woman in the 1960’s and 1970’s, in the era of Vietnam, the Women’s Liberation movement, and free love? (This was the era in the comics where Wonder Woman lost her Amazon powers and became a martial artist under the tutelage of a sensei named I-Ching.) In X-Men: Days of Future Past, Magneto was imprisoned for 10 years because he was blamed for using his powers to ensure that President John F. Kennedy was assassinated (though he actually tried to prevent it). What if Wonder Woman was in Dallas on that fateful morning of November 22, 1963 – and what if she blocked the bullets with her gauntlets?

Wonder-Woman-Trailer-2-Diana-at-the-Louvre.jpg

It would be a shame and a gigantic loss of potential story possibilities for DC Films to just leap over that missing century of Wonder Woman’s life, with all of its unanswered questions – only to pursue her modern day adventures, which are being charted in the Justice League films anyway. It’s true that creating period films is challenging; having to constantly be historically accurate with costumes and production design is a difficult form of filmmaking. It’s also challenging for Gal Gadot play a younger, still naive version of her character and then have to leap to playing Diana as more worldly and experienced in the Justice League films. At the very least, perhaps Wonder Woman‘s sequels can explore aspects of her missing century in flashbacks, even if the main story is set in modern day.

The most important thing is Wonder Woman’s sequels shouldn’t gloss over and ignore her past and how she affected the DCEU’s past. We now know Wonder Woman has been with us since 1918, and her adventures up until she found herself standing shoulder to shoulder with Batman and Superman facing off against Doomsday need to be told. Wonder Woman could, and rightly should be established as the most important superhero in the DCEU. She is the longest tenured, the most experienced hero in the Justice League. We know where she came from and how she helped change the world in 1918. Wonder Woman must have kept on changing the DECU from that point on. These are stories that demand to be told, to help define Wonder Woman as the true legend she is.

What do you think? Should the sequel be set in modern day allowing other DC heroes to feature, or should it still remain in the past, allowing her to explore 20th century history? They could still potentially have other golden age DC heroes cameo though.

I think they need to do at least one more set in America as women get the right to vote.

Modern-day (although flashbacks to the past would also be fine).

I would say the modern day.

Doing more flashback movies just imposes tons of limitations on what you can have Diana do, since nobody in the DCEU is meant to have heard of her until she shows up in Metropolis.

They do need to answer the questions about where she went after WWI and why she went into an exile for nearly a century, which she stated at Clark's Kansas funeral in BvS. Those would likely answer the lingering questions from BvS of how she found out about the WWI photo and why she needed to obtain it. This article has some other basic questions that could and will need addressing in either the WW sequel or possibly JL.

http://www.gamesradar.com/wonder-woman-ending/

Patty has said that she might potentially want to explore the 100-year gap between WWI and BVS, so there's that to.

Patty has said that she might potentially want to explore the 100-year gap between WWI and BVS, so there's that to.
Unless they do so in JL, they are going to need to in WW2 since a lot of people are now really interested in her backstory leading up to BvS.

They do need to answer the questions about where she went after WWI and why she went into an exile for nearly a century, which she stated at Clark's Kansas funeral in BvS. Those would likely answer the lingering questions from BvS of how she found out about the WWI photo and why she needed to obtain it. This article has some other basic questions that could and will need addressing in either the WW sequel or possibly JL.

http://www.gamesradar.com/wonder-woman-ending/

If she went back to Themyscira, she wouldn't know about WWII or any of the other wars, so it's not like she would be standing by idly while these are going on.

After all

in WW, she didn't even know that WWI was going on until Steve Trevor crash landed on Themsycira and told her. So she obviously was absent for other wars before - eg the Crimean War, the American Civil War, the War of Independence etc because she didn't even know about these.

It makes sense that it be in modern day considering the events the aftermath of the events of BVS and what happens in Justice League

Not sure how they will do it with the modern day, more like BvS?

I compared Wonder Woman to Captain America.

Cap did a good job of going from the 40's to the modern age in the sequel, so will WW's sequel be like Winter Soldier-esque?

I would like a modern day setting but....I REALLY liked her supporting cast and would like to see them again.

'Wonder Woman 2': Where the Franchise Should Go Next

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/wonder-woman-2-5-plot-ideas-sequel-1009985

Here are 5 questions the next solo movie needs to answer.

Not since Marvel's first Iron Man in 2008 has a superhero movie left audiences wanting more as soon as possible as Patty Jenkins' Wonder Woman. Of course, they'll get more this November when Gal Gadot returns in Zack Snyder's Justice League, but it's not the same; there, she'll be one of five heroes — six, if Superman returns — instead of the star of her own show. And, as her first solo movie demonstrated, there's a lot of space left to be explored when it comes to Diana, Princess of Themiscyria.

[Warning: This story contains spoilers for Wonder Woman.]

What Did Diana Do Next?

There's literally a century of time between the end of Wonder Woman and her re-emergence as Wonder Woman in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, and a lot of untold story to connect those two narrative dots. Where did Diana go for all that time? How did she become acclimatized to the world beyond Themiscyria to the extent that she appears to be in BvS? Was she retired all that time, or working in secret — and if so, what was she doing? (If she didn't have secret missions run by Etta Candy, then it's yet more proof that we're living in the darkest timeline.) There is more than enough material to be mined from this century time gap for a sequel… if not multiple movies.

Is Ares Actually Dead?

It certainly looked like Ares was fully defeated — and destroyed — at the end of the movie, but is it really that easy to kill a god? Especially given that the world went from the "Great War" to the Second World War in two decades, which would be something that suggested the hand of Ares, given the mythology of the movie. Are we to believe Ares that humanity is so inherently corrupt that they can create worse wars, with worse weapons, without his influence? Surely it's just as likely that he wasn't quite as vanquished as it seemed…

Whatever Happened to Doctor Poison?

Another loose end from the movie: What actually happened to Doctor Poison? We know that Diana didn't kill her when she had the chance — in fact, that was the choice that helped her break through the anger she felt following Steve's (Chris Pine) death. But where did she go after that? Did she stop inventing ever-more-deadly weapons without the inspiration of Ares, or go on to even darker depths — and given that her comic book counterpart had a granddaughter that caused trouble for Wonder Woman in contemporary times, could there be Poison offspring to cause trouble in future movies?

Does Diana Return to Paradise Island?

Diana's mother made a point of telling her that, should she choose to leave the island, she might never return … which obviously raises the question of whether she made it back, or even tried. Returning home after killing Ares and losing Steve would seem like the most natural choice to Diana, but what if she couldn't manage it — and how would Themiscyria respond to losing Diana in the first place?

Was Ares Lying About Wonder Woman's Origin?

The strangest piece of the movie's climax was Ares' revelation that Diana was actually Zeus's daughter, given to the Amazons for safekeeping — which is not only not what Diana believed about herself, it's a significant break from comic book canon in that it removes Hippolyta from Diana's parentage entirely, and turns Diana into a god… indeed, one of the last gods to survive. Assuming that Ares was telling the truth, what does this mean for Diana's sense of self, and her relationship to the woman she thought was her mother? And, more to the point, will she try and discover more about her mythical origins? For a revelation dropped so close to the end of the movie, it opens up a whole new world for Diana, and moviemakers, to explore… and offers a direction for whatever follow-up is to come.

Might as well make it contemporary. If it was in the past, then how do they address the "no more Steve" situation? Do they invent another guy to pal around with?

They can have hints of what she's been doing these past 90 years. At some point she had to establish her current "public identity" somewhere.

It's interesting that they're setting the next one in America. I would love it if they did a new continent each film. Africa for Wonder Woman 3, Asia for Wonder Woman 4 etc

It's interesting that they're setting the next one in America. I would love it if they did a new continent each film. Africa for Wonder Woman 3, Asia for Wonder Woman 4 etc

That would be kind of cool, and fit inline with WW imo whose just down to explore the world, and adventure.

Would love to see how she interacted with all the different cultures.

I don't think they need to set the whole movies in other countries, Nolans Batman went all over with set pieces and so did Avengers 2.

If it's an adventure film like Indiana Jones, I hope to see some globe trotting, not just stuck in one country like the US.

You can make any country interesting though. There are a lot of diverse areas she can fight and do battle in. I'd like to see her go from like the southwest desert area to maybe Chicago aka Gotham/Metropolis, to a dense forest area. It could be Minerva locating the Cheetah artifact and bringing it back to the states for whatever reason, then it slowly starts turning her. They're probably gonna be all over the planet in JL anyway.

The sequel is hot news right now. Not just on SHH!, but all over the internet, every little tidbit seems to be blowing up my news feeds.

You can make any country interesting though. There are a lot of diverse areas she can fight and do battle in. I'd like to see her go from like the southwest desert area to maybe Chicago aka Gotham/Metropolis, to a dense forest area. It could be Minerva locating the Cheetah artifact and bringing it back to the states for whatever reason, then it slowly starts turning her. They're probably gonna be all over the planet in JL anyway.

Well I don't really want her going on a tour of the US. First of all, we've all probably done that. And then it would feel like National Treasure going from Washington to Boston to Philadelphia to New York.

The sequel is hot news right now. Not just on SHH!, but all over the internet, every little tidbit seems to be blowing up my news feeds.

When are they going to announce it? I hope it's announced far quicker than any previous DCEU movie.

Yeah, I want a US-based, globe trotting adventure. Not all domestic. Either 30's Indy style, or 60's spy thriller.

I hope they announce something soon, but a part of me wants them to wait until Patty and Geoff can nail down the concept and get a treatment together. Keep the horse in front of the cart.

If it's an adventure film like Indiana Jones, I hope to see some globe trotting, not just stuck in one country like the US.

As long as it doesn't turn into blow up a monument, cool with international antique dealings.

I think it would be better to have her carrying on in the past. Setting it in modern times I think is more limiting. There would be no limits to what stories they could tell using the past history. I would like them to do separate stories from the Justice League. I think the Marvel Universe are crossing over too much with there films. Spider-Man done well, doesn't need Tony Stark baby sitting him.

I think it would be better to have her carrying on in the past. Setting it in modern times I think is more limiting. There would be no limits to what stories they could tell using the past history. I would like them to do separate stories from the Justice League. I think the Marvel Universe are crossing over too much with there films. Spider-Man done well, doesn't need Tony Stark baby sitting him.

Agreed.

Agree. I think it would be nice if the WW movies have separate adventures that don't keep involving other JL members. WW is so compelling to watch on her own. I didn't miss any of the JL at all in her film and didn't even yearn for another superhero to pop up at all, which is what we're so used to seeing in the MCU.

Not only is she more than capable of sustaining her own movie without anyone's help (eg Batman or Superman like Marvel might put Iron Man in a movie), but in fact WW might be the one that WB/DC might even want to have cameo in other movies to give it a boost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"