Wonder Woman Thread Reborn! - - Part 11

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I'm sure The Tourist starring Giovanni Ribisi would have done just as well. Since Johnny Depp wasn't the draw for the movie, because if you don't draw enough people to a bad movie, you don't draw any people ever!

Exactly. WB is currently marketing Cavill along with Man of Steel, what would be wrong with taking that course of action with Wonder Woman?

Wonder Woman is not some unknown character. Practically everyone knows who she is so you don't need a big star. Like they are doing with Man of Steel and they did with Batman in 89 all they have to do is push that this is a new updated more serious version of the character. And obviously not be foolish like they were with Green Lantern and waste money by pointlessly making things CGI when they didn't have to be. Keep the budget under 200mil.

I know that isn't easy because practically every big budget movie must cost that much for a reason but can they try to keep the budget in the 150-175mil range?

No, everyone nowadays does not know who she is, and those that do equate her with saturday morning 70s cheesiness and spins, not a credible superhero on any day.

And on what level is Cavill an unknown? He's not a superstar yet... but how many summer blockbusters do you have to headline to be considered not an unknown?

ww is very respected among general audience especially by woman she is not aquaman lol

i bet there are tons of people who have been waiting years for a ww movie to take their daughters to

Yeah, I'm sure The Tourist starring Giovanni Ribisi would have done just as well. Since Johnny Depp wasn't the draw for the movie, because if you don't draw enough people to a bad movie, you don't draw any people ever!

No, everyone nowadays does not know who she is, and those that do equate her with saturday morning 70s cheesiness and spins, not a credible superhero on any day.

And on what level is Cavill an unknown? He's not a superstar yet... but how many summer blockbusters do you have to headline to be considered not an unknown?

Well before Burton's Batman, Batman was always associated in the public eye with the camp 60s Adam West show. He wasn't really seen as credible except maybe by the comic fans who knew him as more than that. That was the general image of Batman back then.

Whoever they decide to cast when it finally comes into play will be someone we weren't expecting, that much I do know.

Honestly, I think our net is cast so wide, somebody's pretty much got to be right.

Well before Burton's Batman, Batman was always associated in the public eye with the camp 60s Adam West show. He wasn't really seen as credible except maybe by the comic fans who knew him as more than that. That was the general image of Batman back then.

Touche. Image issue is the same, you're totally right on that front.

But I'm still not feeling this unknown business. The only person who tried that in the modern media was Singer with Routh. Not getting a superstar, I can understand, but the fact is, Wonder Woman isn't in the same boat as Batman just because she's a female character. Not only is it expected to fail by studios and distributors and audiences - just on principle of being a female action hero - but being a female comic book character has given her a lack of quintessential stories to pull from, and the understand that even when great WW stories are written... people don't always show up.

Also, Batman is easy. The minute you see *Bat*man in all black scaring people at night, it makes perfect sense to everyone who knows what a Bat is. Wonder Woman doesn't have a 'thing' that's so simple. For instance: how do you show that this is 'the new updated serious Wonder Woman' in a movie poster? Or a teaser trailer, while being true to the character?

Christian Bale and Henry Cavill weren't super known. It's not like they were huge A-list stars. Jon Favreau thought of going for an unknown for Iron Man, but in the end he went with RDJ.

I'd say someone like Gemma Arterton isn't so ubiquitous (like Jennifer Lawrence) that she would overshadow the role itself. She still has a certain low key factor, even despite being in James Bond or some other movies like Hansel and Gretel or Prince of Persia. The only question is whether she'll be either too big or too old for the role by the time production even begins that she ends up looking more like Hippolyta or someone else's mother (which there is already that :p)?

Christian Bale and Henry Cavill weren't super known. It's not like they were huge A-list stars. Jon Favreau thought of going for an unknown for Iron Man, but in the end he went with RDJ.

I'd say someone like Gemma Arterton isn't so ubiquitous (like Jennifer Lawrence) that she would overshadow the role itself. She still has a certain low key factor, even despite being in James Bond or some other movies like Hansel and Gretel or Prince of Persia. The only question is whether she'll be either too big or too old for the role by the time production even begins that she ends up looking more like Hippolyta or someone else's mother (which there is already that :p)?
calm down gemma is only 27 honestly unless movie takes more than 5 years i dont see a problem

I really like Gemma for the role. I'm just not... convinced of her ability to capture an audience. We know Bale and Cavill had done that before on small scales. I'm not sure about Gemma. I liked the movie she headlined, but she didn't own that movie like Bale owned any of his.

If Gemma is casted, this movie need a superb script, with epic dialog and stoic scenes, and a AAA director to bring the best of her.

I will say this I think Gemma is better able to capture characters than Lawrence in the way where you're not exactly sure it is her. To me she is a better character actor.

Lawrence might be a better method actor and I fear her name and the producers and director wanting her personality to drive the film will overshadow the character of WW.

Also, can we get some pictures up of some honorable mentions or actresses that should be looked at but don't have the "big name" yet?

Yes people do know who Wonder Woman is. They might not care about her but they do know who she is. You are just burying your head in the sand if you don't think that their is huge name recognition there. Nobody expect one of my sisters would know who Cavill was unless I went into a detailed explaination of how he looks and that one movie he did (Immortals). He is not a big star yet.

I will say this I think Gemma is better able to capture characters than Lawrence in the way where you're not exactly sure it is her. To me she is a better character actor.

Lawrence might be a better method actor and I fear her name and the producers and director wanting her personality to drive the film will overshadow the character of WW.

I think Gemma is a better character actor too. She also has a more classical beauty than Lawrence, who is more particular and cute looking. I don't even feel Lawrence's look works for Mystique very well. I think Gemma's face is a better canvas to work on where the make up artists can transform her into whichever character she needs to be. Jennifer's face is one where she'll still look like Jennifer, or will just look odd (like when she's in blue as Mystique).

I think Gemma is a better character actor too. She also has a more classical beauty than Lawrence, who is more particular and cute looking. I don't even feel Lawrence's look works for Mystique very well. I think Gemma's face is a better canvas to work on where the make up artists can transform her into whichever character she needs to be. Jennifer's face is one where she'll still look like Jennifer, or will just look odd (like when she's in blue as Mystique).

Agreed. Hoped I wasn't the only one that felt/got that. Not saying that Lawrence is an inferior actor to Gemma or that her looks are inferior. It's just her acting is more method (at least from the work I've seen) and her look though pretty, is particular and not as versatile as Gemma's

Oh and where are my pics people lol?

I've watched Gemma's films and I like her but she is not as good an actress as Lawrence or Blunt or Knightley or many other choices on here.

That being said I think that she'd be just fine for Wonder Woman. Lawrence is not going to be Wonder Woman no matter how much fanboys beg and plead, pick more realistic actresses.

I don't even know how I got into the A-list fight because I am A-okay with them not going with an unknown.

I've watched Gemma's films and I like her but she is not as good an actress as Lawrence or Blunt or Knightley or many other choices on here.

That being said I think that she'd be just fine for Wonder Woman. Lawrence is not going to be Wonder Woman no matter how much fanboys beg and plead, pick more realistic actresses.

I don't even know how I got into the A-list fight because I am A-okay with them not going with an unknown.

Gemma probably has the best balance of acting skills and looks out of those you mentioned for the role of WW. I've already outlined Lawrence's problems above. Blunt might be a good actress and she's certainly attractive, but she also is slightly more particular, and her face sometimes looks more dour than Gemma's (who has a brighter disposition). And Knightley is just too thin and fragile-looking for the role.

Gemma is a good enough actress and she has the right classical features and appearance, and enough meat on her bones to look like she could be an Amazon. I'd still want her to look really toned and in shape though.

My top 3 for Wondy have always been: Blunt, Arterton, and Atwell. Oh the accents. :grin:

Yes people do know who Wonder Woman is. They might not care about her but they do know who she is. You are just burying your head in the sand if you don't think that their is huge name recognition there. Nobody expect one of my sisters would know who Cavill was unless I went into a detailed explaination of how he looks and that one movie he did (Immortals). He is not a big star yet.

There is a huge name recognition. But that's all, there's no... concept recognition for lack of a better word. It's not like Batman and Superman where people actually know who they are beyond name recognition. That's why it has to be handled a little differently.

Is that what happens in any of Lawerence's other films? What is the basis for this fear that you have?

What characters have you seen Arterton capture as well as J-Law's Katniss, Mystique or that-chick-from-Silver-Linings

I agree with the versatility of the look... however, I'd rather have an outstanding performance with yet another redefinition of Diana's look than a probably-good performance where she looks just like given-era-comics.

@DrCosmic Jennifer's character Katniss was not much of a character as it was her reading lines. Nothing wrong with that at all...mostly method acting. Mystique...same thing really. A bubbly character that was mildly conflicted.

I'm not saying Lawrence is a bad actress by far. She is not. Just saying the problem you get with a big name actor that has not necessarily vanished into their role as a character and shines mainly as a method actor is that you get the actor. My fear is that we would be getting Lawrence and not necessarily WW. That is all.

Plus I just don't like Lawrence for the role as much as others Aterton, Atwell, etc.

that what happens in any of Lawerence's other films? What is the basis for this fear that you have?

What characters have you seen Arterton capture as well as J-Law's Katniss, Mystique or that-chick-from-Silver-Linings

I agree with the versatility of the look... however, I'd rather have an outstanding performance with yet another redefinition of Diana's look than a probably-good performance where she looks just like given-era-comics.

Oh and just because an actor was good in one movie doesn't necessarily mean that their next performance will be the same. I say give another actress a chance and let WW be their Hunger Games or Silver-Lining' s Playbook. By year's end I'm sure we will have a new Jennifer Lawrence.

Get -

Gail Simone - Story.
Refn - Director.
Emily Blunt - Wonder Woman
Ryan Gosling - Steve Trevor.

:awesome:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics