Wonder Woman Thread Reborn! - - Part 11

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that script would have to be uber interesting to get Gosling on board. The dude litterally only plays in what he wants to play in. He's just one of those kinds of actors, he's not chasing blockbusters.

people who think big name draw an audience lol what age do you live that you believe this there is no box office draws anymore the story and character is the draw the material is the draw

if anything directors are more draws in this day and age than actors

for instance johnny depp isn't the draw for pirates his character of jack sparrow is the draw public enemeis and the tourist flopped

sure pretend that there isn't some inherent sexism hollywood. then you're gonna ask what age we live in? in the real world, its different when its a woman. it just is.

Last edited:
I've watched Gemma's films and I like her but she is not as good an actress as Lawrence or Blunt or Knightley or many other choices on here.

That being said I think that she'd be just fine for Wonder Woman. Lawrence is not going to be Wonder Woman no matter how much fanboys beg and plead, pick more realistic actresses.

I don't even know how I got into the A-list fight because I am A-okay with them not going with an unknown.

I'd like to know who these begging fanboys are.

its amazing how combative some of you can be about these things. everything devolves into a ****ing pissing contest.

Rev, I have a question: Why do you believe Anderson Cooper will make a good Aquaman? :o

Lol Anderson Cooper sounds like an accountancy firm merger.

ЯɘvlveR;25776203 said:
i wish i had a witty reply. :cwink:

its bradley cooper not anderson.
I was more interested when it was Anderson, that frugal, silver fox being shirtless is a sight to see. :atp:

Something that still doesn't make Blunt a draw.

It doesn't? Her last few films have grossed heavily at the BOX OFFICE, even the one's from smaller studios, in a couple of which, she is the most recognisable actor on set. How ELSE does BOX OFFICE DRAW work?

Midnight Black, I believe you've made an unfair review of Lawrence's performances. All films consist of actors reading lines, and JL's Katniss was able to do so with a very present set of very subdued emotions. There was a reason her outbursts didn't seem to come from nowhere, because she had communicated a complex character effectively, wordlessly. Her X-Men role was simpler, and less a show of ability rather than role playing, but they show her to be a top-notch actress.

Taking this in concert with Silver Lining's and Winter's Bone shows that she is overwhelmingly likely to do a good job with the roles she's given, with the demonstrated potential to do an incredibly outstanding job.

Now don't misunderstand me, this is not to say that Jennifer Lawrence should be Wonder Woman, but I do want to be clear that acting is a skill, which can be demonstrated and observed, not a crapshoot which is more dependent on looks than on experience.

I understand your idea about disappearing into the character... but disappearing into the character doesn't mean anything to me, if you aren't able to bring the character to life as effectively as someone else. This is why character actors don't headline big blockbuster films, not because character actors aren't important in building a world, but because the primary goal in getting people to love a movie is communication, not disappearing.

I would have to disagree with you. Being someone who has studied acting and film from it's beginning to present day I would say without a doubt that the big blockbuster films can go the way of either a character or method actor. It depends on the film and the actor(s) involve.

Back to Lawrence, I agree and disagree with you. My point being is that I don't want her reputation to cloud the film in that the director and producers want her to play WW more so as herself or like "Kadniss" rather than the role of WW. This can sometimes happen with big names when studios try to bank on the popularity of actors but they miscalculate on what is needed for the success of the film.

My personal preference is that we get an actor that makes us see WW and not the actress first and WW second. That is why I think going with a good actress that looks the part but may not be as well known or a household name be given the role.

Last edited:
Gemma Arterton definitely has the beauty, body, height (5'7"), age (27) and most importantly acting chops to play Wonder Woman in solo films and with the Justice League!!

gemmasexyface.jpg

gemmasexy1.jpg

gemmasexyfullbody.jpg

Acting chops? Arterton is mediocre. She hasn't had a breakout role yet.

Yea I love when peope claim she has acting chops haha lol. Like Prince of Persia and Hansel and Gretel haha? What about Emily Blunt who actually can act and is beatiful...want examples fine, The Five Year Engagement, Looper, The Adjustment Bureu etc...Not saying Gemma is a terrible actress but shes not a good actress. At least she hasnt proven it yet imo. Shes proven shes fine as hell, and could maybe, maybe be in a suppirtubg cast for a minor role in a movie. Everytime she goes for main role movie has flopped thus far.

OMFG GEMMA SUCKS AND HAS NO CHARISMA

Literally she is all wrong for WW just stop. Bridget drop coming.

Im warming up to her. I think she's average but has the look. Blunt is still pure friggin win.

I'd be fine with Arterton, even if she isn't the greatest actress ever. It's not as though only a master thespian can play Wondy.

If Blunt is in the race, Arterton has no chance.

A lot of these chicks are interchangeable to me. Honestly I can't even tell some of them apart anymore. Just a lot of 20-something brunette british or american chicks.

The problem with Arterton is that now she's tied to failed franchises that haven't been received well. Execs won't be able to forget that because they need an actor who can make WW succeed. They need as close to a sure thing to even green light WW.

If WW fails, that would be a huge step backwards especially if MOS succeeds and paves the way for JL. At least when Incredible Hulk under performed for Marvel, it was so early on they had enough space to semi-reboot the character in Avengers. That's not possible if Wonder Woman fails. They aren't going to put that on Arterton's risky shoulders.

The problem with Arterton is that now she's tied to failed franchises that haven't been received well. Execs won't be able to forget that because they need an actor who can make WW succeed. They need as close to a sure thing to even green light WW.

If WW fails, that would be a huge step backwards especially if MOS succeeds and paves the way for JL. At least when Incredible Hulk under performed for Marvel, it was so early on they had enough space to semi-reboot the character in Avengers. That's not possible if Wonder Woman fails. They aren't going to put that on Arterton's risky shoulders.

I do have to agree with you that her big budget films did not turn into franchise hits however I feel Gemma is more recognizable and has a stronger household name than many of the other choices presented. Her body of work may not, to some, seem impressive but dollar for dollar, with the films under Gemma's belt she would seem like a wise choice for a role that would finally have her shine. She has also done smaller indie type films that demonstrate her range as an actress. She may not be the perfect choice but I would be very happy with her casting.

Last edited:
OMFG GEMMA SUCKS AND HAS NO CHARISMA

Literally she is all wrong for WW just stop. Bridget drop coming.

I agree with Gemma statement. Would even rather Carano then her, at least she has one film under her belt were she does action and is better than Gemma. And she has Fast 6 coming up and her action scenes look boss in it.

My top choice: Emily Blunt
My second choice: Gina Carano

Would be happy with either.

Im warming up to her. I think she's average but has the look. Blunt is still pure friggin win.
i think she is on par with henry who is no oscar winner himself but thats not what you need you need someone who can breathe life into the character and become the character

i think thats the problem with some fan boy casting they think you need an oscar winner for every role when guys like hemsworth,jackman,evans,etc. all made you believe in their characters just because your a great actor or actress doesn't mean you will be great in every role for instance it is not debatable gosling is a superior actor to henry cavill but do you honestly think he would have the look and charisma for superman the way henry has done?

Last edited:
Other than X-Men, which was an ensemble movie (with Hugh Jackman in the lead), Jackman didn't really have any major hits outside of that franchise. His Van Helsing was a flop and none of his other movies were exactly hits. The Wolverine movies are still part of X-Men and not something separate. Only really with Les Mis, which is a totally different genre, has Hugh been able to headline a really successful film, and that one wasn't simply because of him.

So with Gemma, it's like she's done the equivalent of Van Helsing already (in Hansel and Gretel) but that doesn't mean she couldn't be good in the role of Wonder Woman, especially since it has a built in fan base. And if she's part of an ensemble movie, then again it's like Hugh in X-Men.

Gemma isn't recognizable at all especially in the US. You really can't compare such a high profile role of Wonder Woman to heroes like Thor, Wolverine, etc. who that public didn't really know about. Jackman did Van Helsing AFTER X-men. He already impressed people unlike Arterton who hasn't really done anything memorable. Hemsworth was in Star Trek and Evans was already in a bunch of superhero films so that's nothing like Arterton. Besides, Arterton doesn't even resemble Wonder Woman as much as Hemsworth or Jackman resembles their character. I doubt she'll be in the top 5.

The Disappearance of Alice Creed was her break out performance they got her lots of attention and she looks quite good in Byzantium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"