Wonder Woman Thread Reborn! - - - - - Part 14

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dark Raven! When I ask you a question, you would be polite if you answer :)

Sorry, I don't always see everything when I'm reading on my phone and when there's tons of other posts after it.

I've seen some depictions of WW's costume where they've tried to make it more realistic by giving it various Greek elements including what looks more like flat sandals which she would probably have worn on Themyscira. She could easily bring some of her own clothing with her to the western world which might later become the basis of the more traditional WW costume we know.

Now whether or not she'll be wearing flat sandals like that, it would still be good if WW can have heels on her boots that she can actually run and fight in. Having 6-inch stripper heels or platform boots would not only be noticeable but also very impractical and unbalanced. It would also be great if WW did somehow take off her boots that she could still look very tall next to Batman and Superman and not suddenly shrink down 6-8 inches and only come up to Batman's chest.

I think I've said it already, but maybe a WW movie should be written and directed by a woman... or by women.
I think it may be clever. Then we get woman's perspective.

That just furthers the idea that women and women oriented stuff is chick stuff.

And it let's male writers/directors off for not making stuff starring women.
Some men just have the sexist view on women. Not all, but some.
A female director can handle Wonder Woman in a different way.

How about we get a foreign director or writer? Maybe a minority? Someone able to come at it without the American zeitgeist of what WW is or isn't.
Briliant! :)
A native American writer who adds spirituality? An asian director who includes a martial arts element to the action?
Or why not go all greek? That could be interesting because Wonder Woman connects to their mythology.

Another director who would be good would be Sam Mendes who recently directed Skyfall and is doing the next Bond film although he's going to be ultra busy in the next few years not only with Bond but theatre so he's an outside choice.
Be careful what you wish for! Don't forget Campbell who made two ground-breaking Bonds and then.... Green Lantern.

Zero Dark Thirty showed she can handle strong female characters like Maya which is important for if she were to tackle a WW film.
Yes, but unfortunately I haven't seen that film, or any other from Bigelow. I don't know if she's the right one.

A Wonder Woman film should have a strong supporting cast, Man of Steel and the Dark Knight films all had strong supporting cast. I imagine Hippolyta and Ares would be A-List names just like Russell Crowe as Jor-El, Gary Oldman as Gordon etc Steve Trevor I imagine would be either a name or someone semiknown,
That's a must, imo.
As for Steve Trevor. I want him to be just as known as the others.

Last edited:
Bigelow made Near Dark, that was pretty out there. Also, there are definitely men who can handle female characters well. Whedon, James Cameron, Ridley Scott, Brad Bird, and Alfonso Cuaron come to mind immediately.
Jameron doesn't want to direct a superhero film. He doesn't have any good thoughts about the genre.

Peter Jackson. Again. The female characters in LOTR are handled very well, plus he got great performances out of the female leads in BEAUTIFUL CREATURES. Plus the pre-existing relationship with WB.
From time to time, Jackson is suggested. But it would great if he got the job.
He surely handles the big scope a Wonder Woman adaption requires. And it would be light years better than the Titans films.

Even assuming he wanted it, I'd be surprised if he got the gig. Jackson doesn't know how to make a movie less than four hours long anymore (see also: Cameron, James).
I would love an epic Wonder Woman film that went on for hours.

I'd be game for a 3+ hour Wonder Woman origin story epic :D
Wouldn't we all? :)

Cuaron's definitely one of the guys they'd get if they want absolutely everyone to know they're serious.
The problem is that Warner Brothers haven't been all that serious about adapting the DC heroes. But they could have started a shared cinematic universe already after the third Potter, years before Marvel.

The reason why I think women should be behind Wonder Woman is because maybe that's exactly what's missing; a woman's touch.
Big point there!

May I ask why you automatically assume that having a woman behind the writing and producing and directing would automatically make it "chicky"? Do you not think a woman could pull off a dark, serious super hero film?
I know that the question isn't addressed to me but I answer anyway.
I think a woman can handle it, but not all people do. When they claim it would be a chick flic, it's nothing else than stereotype thinking.

It seems to me that if anyone can write a believable woman behind Wonder Woman, it'd be a... you know... woman. Just thinking logically, n' all...

In fact, Kathryn Bigelow was the first woman I thought of. I would very much love to at least read how she'd write/direct Wonder Woman if given the chance. Gale Ann Hurd, Lauren Shuler Donner, Deborah Snyder, Emma Thomas, and Patty Jenkins are other women I've thought of for the writing/directing roles.
I'm with you on this logic :)

There aren't many female directors in Hollywood compared to the men. You mentioned a few. I can give you another one: Sofia Coppola!
Do you think she can do it? Would she even be interested in adapting Wonder Woman?

If Coppola was directing, then I'd demand Emma Watson in the role of WW.

I would love an epic Wonder Woman film that went on for hours.

I doubt that WB would. Hollywood studios hate epic-length movies because the longer they are, the fewer showings a theater can run each day. So it becomes a bigger financial risk as fewer people can see it each day. Given their lack of confidence in WW as a live-action character and the resulting hesitance to make a WW movie at all, I would be stunned if they green lit a 3-hour+ epic-length WW movie, no matter who was directing.

Marvel need to make a Ms Marvel movie or any other female character movie. That will get WB off their butts just like Avengers made them sit up and try to make Justice League and now Batman/ Superman.

I doubt that WB would. Hollywood studios hate epic-length movies because the longer they are, the fewer showings a theater can run each day. So it becomes a bigger financial risk as fewer people can see it each day. Given their lack of confidence in WW as a live-action character and the resulting hesitance to make a WW movie at all, I would be stunned if they green lit a 3-hour+ epic-length WW movie, no matter who was directing.

Yeah, it is too bad that is the situation. Plus with today's audience and their lack of an attention span, there would be criticism from them too.

One criticism I always hated of Nolan's last two Batman movies was complaints about the length of the film.

I want to see a superhero movie that is a three hour epic and I think in Wonder Woman's case with the Greek Mythology aspect, it would be quite fitting.

Gone are the days of Ben-Hur and Gone with the Wind where you would sit in a theatre for five hours straight because it was that engrossing. Studios can't make money on long ass films, which is the truth o f the matter as of late.

Gone are the days of Ben-Hur and Gone with the Wind where you would sit in a theatre for five hours straight because it was that engrossing. Studios can't make money on long ass films, which is the truth o f the matter as of late.

They also can't be too long because they need to get people through the cinema. To long a movie with limit the number of sessions they can run

The simple problem is that the WB doesn't know what a WW movie looks like. Any writer is trying to sell them on aspects of the characters that have never been done before.

Wait... so you think the logic is "we've no idea what we're looking for, so we're gonna turn everybody down"? And you don't see how that logic would in any way be backwards and pretty much against common sense?

I think the problem is the opposite. The WB knows exactly what they want, but they've not found anyone to bring it to life.

If they don't know what they're looking for, then why are they rejecting all the ideas? If they had no image for what they wanted, then there'd be no reason to reject the ideas. We'd be talking about Joss's upcoming adaption of Wonder Woman, now.

It seems clear to me that they have an idea... they just haven't found anyone to flesh it out, yet.
Confusing.....

But one thing can be sure. If Spielberg would come to WB with an idea, they would fall on their knees and worship him like a god.

It would also be great if WW did somehow take off her boots that she could still look very tall next to Batman and Superman and not suddenly shrink down 6-8 inches and only come up to Batman's chest.
Why would she take off her boots? Any reason for this, other than to show just how tall the actress is?

If Coppola was directing, then I'd demand Emma Watson in the role of WW.
No, she's not right.
But it will attract a younger audience, that's for sure!

Not even Peter Jackson if he can convince WB just like he did with New Line Cinema and LOTR?
Well, it's such a shame.

Yeah, it is too bad that is the situation. Plus with today's audience and their lack of an attention span, there would be criticism from them too.

One criticism I always hated of Nolan's last two Batman movies was complaints about the length of the film.

I want to see a superhero movie that is a three hour epic and I think in Wonder Woman's case with the Greek Mythology aspect, it would be quite fitting.
Oh, the youngesters of today. They can only take 90 mins at a time, and it should be action all the time.

But as you say, the mythological aspect of Wonder Woman can easily fill a very long film.

Last edited:
Most superhero films are between 120-150 minutes, only TDKR is pretty lengthy. I think 2 hours would be fine for Wonder Woman, shorter than Batman Begins and Man of Steel which were 140 minutes but still enough to tell the story.

Films have gotten shorter simply because more movies are being made and only a few exceptions like Hobbit or Avatar can a film be of sufficient length, films like King Kong have suffered due to their length, even The Return of the King which I loved did drag towards the end. Funnily, animated films have actually gotten longer, they used to be 75-80 minutes but most today are between 90-105 minutes.

I think I've said it already, but maybe a WW movie should be written and directed by a woman... or by women.

I definitely agree with this. It could be groundbreaking for the genre and really push the medium to be more inclusive. Not that men aren't capable of creating great female characters, but why not let some talented women have a chance to bring Wonder Woman herself to the big screen?

Not suggesting Cameron Diaz, her acting style wouldn't suit this, but this picture is pretty much exactly what I imagine a live action Wonder Woman looking like

O1HWubX.jpg

Holy bronzer batman.

Now where can we find an actress who looks photoshopped to hell? :hmm

I don't like the actress but this look and tone is what I'm hoping to some extent for Themiscira

Last edited:
Yeah I think the color in those photos should be kinda the color scheme they use on Themyscira.

Visually, Snyder would be a great choice for Wonder Woman after his work on 300

I want Peter Jackson as director and Tarsem as the cinematographer for the first movie!

Has anyone ever suggested Hayley Atwell? Unfortunately she's only 5'7 but perhaps they could make that work. Lynda was only 5'8 (5'9 at the most).

I normally don't like the idea of actors playing more than one comic book character, but since Peggy is not that well known it could slide.

tumblr_mu8tfycNem1r82wieo1_500.png

Great actress, beautiful, can play a bad ass convincingly and (for some who believe this is important) can fill out the bustier to boot.

Yeah I think the color in those photos should be kinda the color scheme they use on Themyscira.

Visually, Snyder would be a great choice for Wonder Woman after his work on 300

Unless its a night shot, Themyscira should be bright and beautiful, like the outside scenes in Troy or Alexander.

Last edited:
Has anyone ever suggested Hayley Atwell? Unfortunately she's only 5'7 but perhaps they could make that work. Lynda was only 5'9.

I normally don't like the idea of actors playing more than one comic book character, but since Peggy is not that well known it could slide.

tumblr_mu8tfycNem1r82wieo1_500.png

Great actress, beautiful, can play a bad ass convincingly and (for some who believe this is important) can fill out the bustier to boot.

Unless its a night shot, Themyscira should be bright and beautiful, like the outside scenes in Troy or Alexander.

I think she is about to be busy with the Peggy Carter tv show

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back