Wonder Woman Thread Reborn!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wonder Woman an LA vigilante corporate crime fighter? :whatever:

Tanit Phoenix for Wonder Woman. Way back before all the cancel and pick-ups, David expressed his desire for Tanit to play the role. But this may change now she's a ''vigilante crime fighter''.

Why can't she just be the amazon, Diana?

Tanit Phoenix for Wonder Woman. Way back before all the cancel and pick-ups, David expressed his desire for Tanit to play the role. But this may change now she's a ''vigilante crime fighter''.

Why can't she just be the amazon, Diana?
Really? I don't think that David ever expressed any interest in Tanit...

Well, to everyone who wanted this to happen, I hope you enjoy this show. Why anyone thought the concept would be done justice as a David Kelley enterprise is beyond me. Enjoy!

What really sucks is when this show bombs, the idiots in charge will cite it as "proof" they can never sell a Wonder Woman film. No, all it is "proof" of is that they have no ****ing idea what they're doing with this character.

Hey , maybe he knows what he is doing, and it will be a good show. I am going to come out of the closet and just say it... I watched Ally McBeal when it was on back in the day, and enjoyed it(I also liked watching Charmed, sometimes just for laughs though!).
They have had many problems trying to adapt WW to the screen, maybe this is the way to do it finally, have her be a cool LA vigilante, without all the baggage of the amazonian upbringing and whatnot, just get her out there kicking ash and being a cool character. They could bring in the amazonian stuff later on if they wanted to, explain how she got her powers, bring in another amazon who has come over to track her down, all that kind of stuff.
I wonder if they will have other super-beings though, I hope so, but maybe they will want to keep the budget down by having WW as the only superpowered person on the show in general, with the occasional super-villan.

The same that happened to Charmed might happen to this series. The male producer demolishes the female power and decides to bring in Alpha-Males, make the main female lead become a love-struck hormonal freak. And so on...

The "baggage" of her Amazonian upbringing is who this character is. She's the opposite of Superman in a way. She's from this Earth yet because of her upbringing away from Man's World she is in many ways very alien from the rest of humankind. (Whereas Supes is an alien but he's basically a regular American farm boy raised in Kansas)

Hey , maybe he knows what he is doing, and it will be a good show. I am going to come out of the closet and just say it... I watched Ally McBeal when it was on back in the day, and enjoyed it(I also liked watching Charmed, sometimes just for laughs though!).
They have had many problems trying to adapt WW to the screen, maybe this is the way to do it finally, have her be a cool LA vigilante, without all the baggage of the amazonian upbringing and whatnot, just get her out there kicking ash and being a cool character. They could bring in the amazonian stuff later on if they wanted to, explain how she got her powers, bring in another amazon who has come over to track her down, all that kind of stuff.
I wonder if they will have other super-beings though, I hope so, but maybe they will want to keep the budget down by having WW as the only superpowered person on the show in general, with the occasional super-villan.

That isn't WW though.

I'm not sure i like what i read, but did you really expect Wondy has her Wonder Woman identity only in a TV adoption? Seriously?!
It make a lot of sense Diana will have 2 identities in this kind of adoption. You can't tell this kind of story on a TV show(with a budget) if Diana's only identity would be her Wonder Woman identity. So Kelley thought how to make Diana Prince identity and this is what he came up with - a successful corporate executive and a vigilante crime fighter. So what?!
The original Wonder Woman TV show has Diana with two identities - Diana Prince and Wonder Woman and so is this reboot.
My hopes are... Kelley won't vanish Her whole identity as an Amazon Princess and won't get rid of all her character Greek Mythology's roots for this. It can be done right and I hope it will be done right.
I also hope he won't make Diana some kind of a desperate woman, who's main focus of her life is her relationships with men and with her colleagues and bosses.

And BTW... Why can't the corporation she works in can't be a corporation whom focusing on bringing equality to the world? Why do you think it has to be one who brings greed and money to the world? Just because it's called a corporation?

That isn't WW though.

How is it not though? All superheroes who operate on their own are vigilantes right? Apart from officially sanctioned ones like the Avengers and the JLA and such.
If they keep the fact that she is of amazonian descent, and that is why she gets her superpowers, then I don't see how it deviates that much.
Because, correst me if I'm wrong, but superpowered Amazonian who fights crime in our urban world = Wonder Woman.

and @J'adore....I watched a fair few seasons of Charmed, but did not pick up on that aspect, if I indeed saw those eps you are refferring to, but this show is not being made by those people, Charmed in general was not that well written, but it had some fun eps. I don't know any of his other shows but DeK had v strong female characters on Ally McBeal, Ling aka Lucy Lui used to kick Fish's ash and keep him in line all the time, that blonde female character I can't recall the name of was good, Ally McBeal herself was alright too. He seems like Joss Whedon, the kind of guy who does strong female characters quite naturally, so maybe he will do right here by the character.

and as I was saying, considering the problems folk have had trying to get WW right for the big screen, maybe it is best to keep the initial concept simple for folk, and then they can bring in all the Amazonian stuff later on. The important thing is to make a strong, simple, easy to understand pilot, so audiences can latch onto the universe easily, then you can bring in other things to the mix.

The "baggage" of her Amazonian upbringing is who this character is. She's the opposite of Superman in a way. She's from this Earth yet because of her upbringing away from Man's World she is in many ways very alien from the rest of humankind. (Whereas Supes is an alien but he's basically a regular American farm boy raised in Kansas)

I only meant baggage, as it would be maybe too much to explain all of that in a pilot episode, so keep it simple for the pilot. He hasn't said anything about not doing the Amazonian heritage, and I guess he will keep that aspect, as he will need to explain why she has superpowers.

I'm not sure i like what i read, but did you really expect Wondy has her Wonder Woman identity only in a TV adoption? Seriously?!

Rome, Game of Thrones, Spartacus,Pillars of the Earth, Legend of the Seeker

There have been alot of stuff made for TV in recent years that show it can be done.

With CGI technology being what it is now and picking the proper locations I dont see why not.

Wonder Woman an LA vigilante corporate crime fighter? :whatever:

Exactly my reaction:whatever:

I dont like the idea of a Wonder Woman tv series because it wont have the budget to tell WW the story it deserves

Last edited:
I dont like the idea of a Wonder Woman tv series because it wont have the budget to tell WW the story it deserves

On the other hand, say they did a 2hr movie, and tried to fit in all the Amazon stuff, along with her coming to the urban USA to fight evil/crime, and then it was a bit crammed and people said 'A 2hr movie does not have the time to tell the WW story it deserves?'
Because they have been havinbg trouble trying to adapt her to a movie.
Y'know what? Smallville is cheesey, but with that budget they could have told a serious X-Files type of Superman story, and told it very well, in fact they did so many times throughout the series, but it could have been done more seriously. The budget can be worked around.
And I guess NBC will have more of a budget than the CW, which is a smaller channel from what I understand. It's possible this could be a v good series, I don't see how it can be written off so easily at this stage.

God, it's going to be crap. Ares, in human (probably corporate)guise, Circe in human (probably corporate) guise, some kind of take on Cheetah. That's IF they hold anywhere near true to the comics. I'm willing to be open minded to the hopeful thought that WW's continuity will slowly reveal itself over the course of a season. But if the pilot or initial episodes seem lame or "McBealish" I won't even follow it. Just check in from time to time like I do with Smallville. And I don't love the idea of TV budget special effects/ cgi. It always looks lame. Rant over.

On the other hand, say they did a 2hr movie, and tried to fit in all the Amazon stuff, along with her coming to the urban USA to fight evil/crime, and then it was a bit crammed and people said 'A 2hr movie does not have the time to tell the WW story it deserves?'
Because they have been havinbg trouble trying to adapt her to a movie.
Y'know what? Smallville is cheesey, but with that budget they could have told a serious X-Files type of Superman story, and told it very well, in fact they did so many times throughout the series, but it could have been done more seriously. The budget can be worked around.
And I guess NBC will have more of a budget than the CW, which is a smaller channel from what I understand. It's possible this could be a v good series, I don't see how it can be written off so easily at this stage.

Well to me it does. I dont care about other people. That animated WW film was barely over an hour and already had a good grasp on the story add another hour and it would have plenty of time. WOnder Woman should be about Greek Mythology not something about urban crime fighting and of course with a TV budget they cant go with the Greek mythology epic angle

Well to me it does. I dont care about other people. That animated WW film was barely over an hour and already had a good grasp on the story add another hour and it would have plenty of time. WOnder Woman should be about Greek Mythology not something about urban crime fighting and of course with a TV budget they cant go with the Greek mythology epic angle

But they can, ok, it will not look as good as a 100mil movie, but they can still do good sfx on a tv budget.
The good thing about superheroes on tv is that you can get all the benefit that you do from an ongoing monthly comic series, deeper character development, plot arcs, more characters, everything that is good about comics.
and tbh, I would rather see WW in the real world fighting crooks and gangsters and making an impact on the world we know, instead of fighting monsters and gods in caves or on mountains or whatever. That's just personal preference for me, but of course, I would like to see that too, but if I had to choose between the two, I would choose a real world setting.

God, it's going to be crap. Ares, in human (probably corporate)guise, Circe in human (probably corporate) guise, some kind of take on Cheetah.

Cheetah runs a local yoga class, she is WW's arch enemy as WW is more of a jogger. Every morning WW jogs past Cheetah's yoga class and they sneer at each other's method of excercising, until one fateful day they both meet at a sports shop, and they start fighting over a pair of pink adidas, the last in the shop(they have the same size feet, ying and yang, hero/villan thing).

and i never thought of the gods being in the real world in disguise, that might actually be quite good, lol, it all depends on the writing. Lex Luthor made a good corporate villan, and he doesn't even have superpowers.

Okay, I´m all for superheroes getting some adaptation when translated to other media, but WW NEVER was a corporate executive who´s a crime-fighting vigilante, that´s almost a female Batman. You wanna make a show about a character like that, more power to you, just don´t call her Wonder Woman.

All superheroes are crime fighting vigilantes, unless they have govenrment sanctions like the JLA and Avengers.
I have WW comics where she is not disimilar from Batman, Spider-man, etc etc, where she lives and works in the city, and in her secret id saves people from disasters, fights crooks and robbers and super-villans.
These are comics from the late 70s and early 80s, I only have a couple of modern ones from around 2008, and yeah, they were a bit more gods and aliens. But to say she never existed in that guise before is wrong.
As for her job? Why not? If they are going for that angle, she has to work somewhere.

edit: and if they are starting her off that way, who is to say they will not expand the universe to show more of the epic, gods and aliens stuff?
Look at Smallville, it started out as a monster of the week in highschool show, but we ended up getting him flying off into the Phantom Zone, going to Metropolis, the Daily Planet, the JL forming, the Legion showing up, all the major villans...this is just the starting point for the WW show.

Last edited:
Basically it will be Xena in modern times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"