Wonder Woman won't fly.. at least at the beginning.

John-An

Wonder Fingers!
Reaction score
Gal Gadot herself said it on an interview from Israel the following regarding to Wonder Woman's powers.

Interviewer: "By the way, what are Wonder Woman's powers?"

Gal: "She has unbelievable endurance. She is exceptionally strong. She can jump really high and practically fly. She know tons of martial arts styles. She is a strong and serious Woman."
Maybe she will be blessed with the full power of flight in the solo or JL by Hermes or the greek gods. But I bet it will be some form of levitating, floating to diffenciate from Supes flight, IMO.

gal-gadot-gal-gadot-as-wonder-woman-batman-vs-superman-s-biggest-mistake.jpeg

So do you like to know that she, at least at the beginning can only jump very high almost flying? Yes or No?

A poll is open, so you can vote for it. and please give an opinion on the matter if you want :)

Last edited:
So do you like to know that she, at least at the beginning can only jump very high...?

As I mentioned in the powers thread, I have a Superman bias. :word: So I’d prefer that WW not be a virtual clone, with near identical abilities. Now originally, this wasn’t the case. While WW was preternaturally strong (stronger than CA methinks), she wasn’t as strong as Supes; while she could deflect bullets with her bracelets, she wasn’t invulnerable; while she could jump-down-from/leap-up-to great heights, she couldn’t actually fly. But in more modern incarnations, there seems to be almost no difference between the characters in terms of these major/showcase abilities. And I’d argue that there should be.

In typical action/adventures ensembles, the individual members of the team tend to have “specializations.” A) these unique skills justify their inclusion on the team and B) variety is, frankly, more interesting than sameness. E.g., on the original Mission: Impossible force, there was a “strongman,” an electronics wizard, a master of disguise, etc. (There wasn’t, say, two electronics wizards.) Likewise, Supergirl never became a member of the classic Justice League. Presumably, this was because there was already a Superman - and diversity had more cachet (notwithstanding that a “2nd Superman” is probably more valuable than Flash or Aquaman ;)).

Admittedly, Superman and WW’s powers are intrinsically similar. So as far as I’m concerned, any effort to distinguish them (e.g. strength levels, true flight vs. ballistic “superhuman leaps”) is a good thing.

As I mentioned in the powers thread, I have a Superman bias. :word: So I’d prefer that WW not be a virtual clone, with near identical abilities. Now originally, this wasn’t the case. While WW was preternaturally strong (stronger than CA methinks), she wasn’t as strong as Supes; while she could deflect bullets with her bracelets, she wasn’t invulnerable; while she could jump-down-from/leap-up-to great heights, she couldn’t actually fly. But in more modern incarnations, there seems to be almost no difference between the characters in terms of these major/showcase abilities. And I’d argue that there should be.

In typical action/adventures ensembles, the individual members of the team tend to have “specializations.” A) these unique skills justify their inclusion on the team and B) variety is, frankly, more interesting than sameness. E.g., on the original Mission: Impossible force, there was a “strongman,” an electronics wizard, a master of disguise, etc. (There wasn’t, say, two electronics wizards.) Likewise, Supergirl never became a member of the classic Justice League. Presumably, this was because there was already a Superman - and diversity had more cachet (notwithstanding that a “2nd Superman” is probably more valuable than Flash or Aquaman ;)).

Admittedly, Superman and WW’s powers are intrinsically similar. So as far as I’m concerned, any effort to distinguish them (e.g. strength levels, true flight vs. ballistic “superhuman leaps”) is a good thing.

...what he said !

and I love that you used preternaturally...nice

...and anyway, it isn't safe for WW to fly...because of the glass ceiling ! :cwink:

So I guess Snyder did read my (crayon scrawled) letters.

Honestly, I wanted her to fly. I just think it would be more in keeping with her modern powers.

To be honest, I fail to see the major difference between "practically flying" and "flying".

To be honest, I fail to see the major difference between "practically flying" and "flying".

True, independent flight would entail changing direction, hovering, slowing down and then re-accelerating, etc. (I.e., it’s the stuff that Superman traditionally does.) A “super jumping” ability would be strictly linear and the speed would be determined by the power exerted at launch (on the ground). Now whether the movie(s) will accurately depict these technical distinctions (or cheat WW’s ability :cwink:) remains to be seen. Also - by some mysterious (but well-established) means, Supes is able to hoist great weights in midair. Someone who is merely jumping can’t do this - because they have nothing to exert their strength against. :word:

I was on the fence about flying, either is fine. But I do believe they'll go the nu52 route and have Hermes bless her with flight later. And I hope they do it with a feather, like in the book.

Honestly the main thing I took away from that interview is that Gal auditioned opposite Affleck. And I guarantee Warner asked for his two cents. So now Snyder AND Affleck saw something special in Gal. I've always supported her casting and now I have another reason.

I really get annoyed with the whole "she shouldn't fly in order to differentiate her from Superman." By that token, NO OTHER superhero should fly. Also, by that standard, she shouldn't have the jet either since that's Batman's thing, and she shouldn't jump really far since that's Hulk/Faora's thing. It's a ludicrously broad standard that could be applied to pretty much ANY power/ability that she might have.

I'll wait and see what "practically fly" means.

Will it be the old "gliding on air currents" that I think Wonder Woman used to do before she was upgraded to completely independent flight powers?

I'm more worried that "strong and serious" are her main personality attributes. What happened to kind, compassionate and loving? I don't want Wonder Woman to be a one-dimensional "warrior woman".

But, we're so far off knowing more about this version of Wonder Woman that it's hard to know what she will be like at this stage.

Will it be the old "gliding on air currents" that I think Wonder Woman used to do before she was upgraded to completely independent flight powers?
I thought that too. However I think it may be temporary and she may be blessed by her gods or Hermes, either in her solo or in JL to have the complete flight ability.

I'm more worried that "strong and serious" are her main personality attributes. What happened to kind, compassionate and loving? I don't want Wonder Woman to be a one-dimensional "warrior woman".
Strong means of powers. Serious may mean as to she is confident?
Also if you see all the interview you would see that this Wonder Woman would have some interesting personality as to how Gal Gadot describes her (not her powers). See the two parts of the interview pal ;)

I wonder what the general audience would think of WW suddenly gaining the full power of flight in a later film? If I didn't know the character, I'd probably deem it gimmicky. I guess the studio's job is to emphasize the mythology in the first WW solo so everyone understands how powerful the gods are and how central they are to Amazon's daily life, both in spiritual and practical matters. So if Hermes hurls that feather like a dart into WW's leg, it'll all seem very organic and not contrived. Like the Azz book.

As a comic book fan we are used to powers being changed or adapted in different ways over time, so I guess there is a chance the audience might make deem it gimmicky but... I think it could also be kinda cool. It would show that CBMs can hold surprises for the GA.

Told yah so! Ha! That's right I'm gloating! And I'm off to find my post from a year ago that said that they would not show her flying in this movie...

And.... HA!

As a comic book fan we are used to powers being changed or adapted in different ways over time, so I guess there is a chance the audience might make deem it gimmicky but... I think it could also be kinda cool. It would show that CBMs can hold surprises for the GA.

That's a glass-half-full way out putting it. And really, if Warner can gain an element of surprise for characters that have been around since forever, that'd be very cool. It really does depend on execution.

well i'm all for real flying WW, but i can see how Zach is making his version of pre-crisis Wonder Woman. i cant blame him, no one has done that properly on film before and he's seizing the opportunity. bless his soul for the initiative :woot:

also consider storytelling and character development over time. its easier to build up a character that is "less" as opposed to deconstructing a character that is "great" without it looking like a perversion. Marvel is now well known for its grand master plan. WB / DC would be a damn fool getting into the superhero boxing ring without one of their own.

I not sure I want a Superman/Batman world to be mixed with clash of the Titans type of Mythology. WW may have been referred to as a Demi-god but may actually be decended from x terra sources.

If not, do they have to explain where Zeus, Apollo, Athena, etc. are.? Talk about plot holes.

They took Asgard and made it a planet probably for the same reason.

I'm not sure I want Zeus to show up with Superman. That's a game changer and jumping one too many sharks. IMO.

Thoughts?

Marvel is now well known for its grand master plan. WB / DC would be a damn fool getting into the superhero boxing ring without one of their own.[/QUOTE]

...master plans have been known to fail...
12-1.jpg

Title of this thread reminds me of this scene:

[YT]watch?v=AGjbbQMlg_s[/YT]

Anyway, I like the fact that she jumps (and maybe sort of glides?) and not straight-out fly. Not just because it's more interesting to see her having unique approach to that instead looking same like Superman, but I think it also kinda makes sense to do it differently considering that her powers come from entirely different source. Also it reminds me of an ancient Olympic discipline of long jumps, which again, makes sense for Wonder Woman considering her origin and athleticism that is a part of the character.

I not sure I want a Superman/Batman world to be mixed with clash of the Titans type of Mythology. WW may have been referred to as a Demi-god but may actually be decended from x terra sources.

If not, do they have to explain where Zeus, Apollo, Athena, etc. are.? Talk about plot holes.

I'm not sure I want Zeus to show up with Superman. That's a game changer and jumping one too many sharks. IMO.

Thoughts?

Yeah, I was also thinking about it. Gods should be "somewhere" there, as I think that it would be great to have them appear in the Wondy's solo and that "clash of Titans" type of mythology works perfectly for her (and I'm also a sucker for Ancient Greek myths), but they should be disinterested in Earth and for most part an absent gods, locked away from our world. They could be somehow tied to Themyscira, but not the rest of the world.

Besides, it is realistic to have a god that absolutely never shows up. :woot:

Again, the whole "she shouldn't fly to look different from Superman" thing is kind of BS imo. By that notion, NO OTHER hero should fly, but that'd be rather boring. And also by that standard, she shouldn't be able to jump really far since that's Hulk's thing, or have a jet since that's Batman's thing, or be skilled at martial arts since that's Black Canary's thing, or a weapon's expert since that's Katana's thing, etc. You see the problem here? And she should be WEAKENED solely in the name of "being different."

Again, the whole "she shouldn't fly to look different from Superman" thing is kind of BS imo. By that notion, NO OTHER hero should fly, but that'd be rather boring. And also by that standard, she shouldn't be able to jump really far since that's Hulk's thing, or have a jet since that's Batman's thing, or be skilled at martial arts since that's Black Canary's thing, or a weapon's expert since that's Katana's thing, etc. You see the problem here? And she should be WEAKENED solely in the name of "being different."

I think it's dumb too. But it's not why I prefer she not fly. For me, I just prefer she not fly and "super-jump" instead because it looks more imposing.

I agree from that standpoint.

There's nothing "wrong" with her flying and I'm not saying that she shouldn't do so per se, but I personally like the diversity in the approach and visual difference that will come from it, when it comes to mid-air fights.

And she won't be fighting beside Hulk anyway, so it doesn't really matter from the point I'm coming from with this.

...well, you said it, I didnt. :cwink:

Thoughts?
One answer.. MAGIC. that thing it hasn't been explored yet on its true form.
I'd like to see Olympus. and having the magical form of it, should really be an advantage compared to Asgard decision of making it from another dimension taking out the real magic.

I think the only absent god, should be Zeus like in the Azzarello run. Having a greek god that can take "human form" is for what many "gods" are known for. So I think it's interesting and can be made from a different perspective. Not looking like human, rather being rare or abnormal according to each god traits, like Azzarello made it really well.

At least if Wonder Woman isn't capable of sustained, self-propelled flight, then that means we should see the Invisible Jet! And that would be pretty awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"