• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Wonder Woman's New Costume!

Well, I mean, JMS inserted some mystical totem hoo-doo into Spider-Man's origin--in such a way that you could easily choose to believe it didn't actually mean a damned thing--and people went apes***. Morrison's changes sound much more pronounced than that, yet I haven't heard a peep about them. Just a bit surprising.

Well like i said it's subtle so far. Here let me explain:
Batman & Robin #12 we find out the Batcave had a statue of a Demon lord named Barbatos. This is what "Thomas Wayne" worships and is a servant to. Barbatos is the "Evil Bat Force" i like to refer to.

RoBW #1 Bruce Wayne inspires the Deer People to become the Bat people, they start worshipping Bruce Wayne as "the Man of Bats" which by the way is the same name the Native American "Batman" was called.

RoBW #3 we see more of the Miagani (Bat People) tribe. They build the statue that The Black Glove corrupted into a Barbatos Statue, thus the "evil Bat force" is born because Bruce was in the past and created this "Bat spirit" symbolism.

So there you go. Bruce's actions in the Caveman era caused the Miagani tribe to worship a good Bat god (Bruce) and the Old Thomas Wayne became a satanist and twisted Bruce-worshipping into Barbatos worshipping, and they killed off the Wayne family, thus creating Batman.

Wow. I haven't read the fourth issue of ROBW. Did Morrison really write it so that Black Hand created Batman? I suppose I should not be surprised. After all, Morrison did try to make it so that Magneto was Xorn, thus making Magneto a drug addict etc. Morrison is always so hit or miss. Batman & Robin is fantastic. He had a great run with Justice League. But then, sometimes, he just does the unthinkable. I am sure that nobody will ever truly know what goes on in the mind of Grant Morrison. Perhaps not even Grant Morrison himself knows.

If by that you mean a conscious effort to distance itself from anything remotely like an actual superhero costume, I agree. You know the designer was grasping at straws when the costume is about 50% black on a formerly old-school, bright, primary-color sort of hero.

Well like i said it's subtle so far. Here let me explain:
Batman & Robin #12 we find out the Batcave had a statue of a Demon lord named Barbatos. This is what "Thomas Wayne" worships and is a servant to. Barbatos is the "Evil Bat Force" i like to refer to.

RoBW #1 Bruce Wayne inspires the Deer People to become the Bat people, they start worshipping Bruce Wayne as "the Man of Bats" which by the way is the same name the Native American "Batman" was called.

RoBW #3 we see more of the Miagani (Bat People) tribe. They build the statue that The Black Glove corrupted into a Barbatos Statue, thus the "evil Bat force" is born because Bruce was in the past and created this "Bat spirit" symbolism.

So there you go. Bruce's actions in the Caveman era caused the Miagani tribe to worship a good Bat god (Bruce) and the Old Thomas Wayne became a satanist and twisted Bruce-worshipping into Barbatos worshipping, and they killed off the Wayne family, thus creating Batman.

Is this a DC alternate universe storyline?

Check out this opinion at AfterEllen.com:

It's from somebody called 'the real miss anthrope'.

I think what bothers me most is the lack of the combination of red and the white stars on blue. It was a homage to the United States flag. I'm not too bothered by WW wearing pants, just not those. Also, her outfit just seems really disjointed. She's dressed like a sidekick or c-rate hero, not a superhero. The fingerless gloves? Really? :(

Doubt it'll last too long though...

Poor fool doesn't realize those gloves are designed like the ancient cestus, or today's sparring mitts. :whatever:

New poster here. Just wanted to put my thoughts in on this...thing.

The new Wonder Woman costume needs to be re-tooled, not necessarily completely thrown out. There are actually elements I like. The new belt is great, and the detailing in the red top is nice. I'm also not opposed to Diana wearing leggings.

However, I draw the line at the jacket and choker. They're completely out of place on Wonder Woman. They make her look like Black Canary cosplaying as WW. Remove these and the costume's already better. Throw her original boots & bracelets and make the W bigger, and this wouldn't be a half bad costume.

It's weird. I grew up on Jim Lee's version of the X-Men, and totally accept those radically different designs (compared to their original incarnations), Yet the most extreme elements of his Wonder Woman design completely irritate me.

Is this a DC alternate universe storyline?

It's done in a very subtle way so far, so the masses might not even realize this. I think we'll get the clear facts by the time RoBW #5 hits. :) But yeah Morrison even stated in an interview this is like a new origin for Batman.

New poster here. Just wanted to put my thoughts in on this...thing.

The new Wonder Woman costume needs to be re-tooled, not necessarily completely thrown out. There are actually elements I like. The new belt is great, and the detailing in the red top is nice. I'm also not opposed to Diana wearing leggings.

However, I draw the line at the jacket and choker. They're completely out of place on Wonder Woman. They make her look like Black Canary cosplaying as WW. Remove these and the costume's already better. Throw her original boots & bracelets and make the W bigger, and this wouldn't be a half bad costume.

It's weird. I grew up on Jim Lee's version of the X-Men, and totally accept those radically different designs (compared to their original incarnations), Yet the most extreme elements of his Wonder Woman design completely irritate me.

I commend you sir on this excellent first post of yours here on this webforum :up:

JMS take on Wonder Woman will most likely become as forgettable and irrelevant as was his contribution to Spider-man! "The Other" story line was absolutely horrible! Right up there with the Clone Saga. I believe in keeping characters fresh and relevant with new ideas, but you can mess with a classic origin to the point that it becomes convoluted. That's the danger with what seems to be happening with Wonder Woman and Batman. Don't change what works to stroke your own ego!:down

But Wonder Woman is about fightning the gods and changing her reality back to normal. They just wanted to make this big press thing to hook new comers, and asking the regular readers to give it a chance. She will FIX her reality. It's as obvious as Bruce coming back, but Morrison was clever enough to redefine Batman's origin with tons of sci-fi time travel and religious mysticism along with Symbolism on the Batman logo.

Check out this opinion at AfterEllen.com:

It's from somebody called 'the real miss anthrope'.

Poor fool doesn't realize those gloves are designed like the ancient cestus, or today's sparring mitts. :whatever:
I'm not sure how that should change her opinion that, visually, they look pretty stupid on Wonder Woman... :huh:

It's done in a very subtle way so far, so the masses might not even realize this. I think we'll get the clear facts by the time RoBW #5 hits. :) But yeah Morrison even stated in an interview this is like a new origin for Batman.

I'll stick with the old origin.

But Wonder Woman is about fightning the gods and changing her reality back to normal. They just wanted to make this big press thing to hook new comers, and asking the regular readers to give it a chance. She will FIX her reality. It's as obvious as Bruce coming back, but Morrison was clever enough to redefine Batman's origin with tons of sci-fi time travel and religious mysticism along with Symbolism on the Batman logo.

Well, obviously the mainstream reality is going to get fixed in some way or form, but JMS pretty much spent his first full interview crapping on the character, dissing previous work on her, and generally talking about everything about her needs to be thrown out. After that, I kind of find it hard to believe we're going to see him revert everything back to regular status quo. Sure, it will be to a degree, that much is a given, but after reading JMS' thoughts and ideas, I really won't be surprised to see this street-level, 'gritty' Wonder Woman reinvention stay to some degree; it seems obvious this is how JMS thinks the character should be to sell.

I mean, I guess he could just be BSing one of the best BSing storms to date, but I'm still not going to be surprised that some of this reinvention of his will be more permanent than some fans are hoping.

Also, on a sidenote, maybe this thread should be serged into the main WW thread. Seems like the conversation is going as much about the direction and the character than the costume at this point.

I'll stick with the old origin.

It's the same origin, just backstory that Joe Chill was hired by a bunch of people who love to ruin rich peoples lives.

It the same as in Superman, doesn't really matter why Krypton blew up just that it does.

Well, obviously the mainstream reality is going to get fixed in some way or form, but JMS pretty much spent his first full interview crapping on the character, dissing previous work on her, and generally talking about everything about her needs to be thrown out. After that, I kind of find it hard to believe we're going to see him revert everything back to regular status quo. Sure, it will be to a degree, that much is a given, but after reading JMS' thoughts and ideas, I really won't be surprised to see this street-level, 'gritty' Wonder Woman reinvention stay to some degree; it seems obvious this is how JMS thinks the character should be to sell.

Well he's pretty much assuring that it's new friendly, while also telling the current readers to read #601 and #602 and he promises, yes he used the word promise, that it will get the readers hooked. I can agree with your thread merger idea, maybe then more of the "JMS IS A HACK!" can spot my posts on what Morrison did to Batman. :D Honestly i really do wonder will we get a huge nerd rage in August when ROBW #5 comes.

It's the same origin, just backstory that Joe Chill was hired by a bunch of people who love to ruin rich peoples lives.

Which came to exist because of Batman.

Yeah but your making it sound like it was guided by Batman, like he started the Black Hand to create himself when it's a purely coincidental result of his time traveling.

So coincidental infact that it's not overplayed in the comics it's literally "if you've been paying attention you'll notice this".

Yeah but your making it sound like it was guided by Batman, like he started the Black Hand to create himself when it's a purely coincidental result of his time traveling.

He inspired them, perhaps thats the word i should have used. Just like Batman inspires goodness, he inspired evil aswell in the form of Barbatos.
So coincidental infact that it's not overplayed in the comics it's literally "if you've been paying attention you'll notice this".

Oh just wait and see. We'll see how obvious Morrison is making this with RoBW.

It the same as in Superman, doesn't really matter why Krypton blew up just that it does.
I hate the very idea of Joe Chill, personally, so any origin for Batman involving him is not one I will accept. For me, Batman's parents were still murdered by an unknown criminal who was never caught.[/total denial] :)

I hate the very idea of Joe Chill, personally, so any origin for Batman involving him is not one I will accept. For me, Batman's parents were still murdered by an unknown criminal who was never caught.[/total denial] :)

Just admit it, you'd rather see Jack Napier be the killer. :awesome:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"