World's Finest download available here

Discussion in 'Batman World' started by batnewbie1967, Jul 23, 2004.

1. P. Cushing Registered

MY REVIEW

BATMAN
    Jesus! Clark Bartram really sucked! I mean it! When you put him next to O'Hearn you realise he's a shortass who looks very little Batman. His delivery, especially the "You let people get too close" line, was awful. The costume looks way worse than it did in DE, except for the nightime scenes. The contacts seem to have turned pink.

SUPERMAN
    Excellent! Mike O'Hearn is the spitting image of Superman and the costume is perfect! His acting was pretty good and he really felt like the TAS Superman. He had good chemistry with his Lois too. The flying was also well done.

LEX LUTHOR
    Looked great, but I could've done without the Superfriends armor. I have just one question; Why is he talking to Clark Kent on the telephone and admitting that he's gonna kill people?

LOIS LANE
    Whoever played Lois, she was great. She looked exactly Like the character and played her perfectly.

TWO-FACE
    Ugh! The makeup was unconvincing and the actor didn't look anything like Harvey Dent! Bad acting too! And since when has Two-Face been an assasin for hire?

WRITING
    A big step up from Dead End! Coherent plot, and some scenes lifted straight out of the TNBA World's Finest.

FX
    Great. Mostly seamless

BOTTOM LINE
    The Superman related stuff was great, the Batman related stuff sucked. Sandy, if you make another fan film, stick to Clark's world, you're much, much better at it.

2. Seth71 Registered

Good review. Honest and clean without unneeded bad mouthing.

I think the Batman costume was the very same from DE. I can see the mask was. The reason it didn't work as well is because of the day light scenes I guess. Even in the comics, Bruce has said the costume doesn't work in day light. That was one of my few problems with the trailer. The rest really looks good.

3. Milkman95 Movie Extra & Actor

Yes I do, take a look at the sig........there is always unneeded bad mouthing, that's filmaking and critics for ya - you have to take the good with the bad. Pitof of course is getting slammed by critics - is that unneeded or unfair?

I'm taking Sandy's effort as a studio effort, and not giving him any breaks.....

4. ultimatefan The Batman must come back

Well, considering what WB did with 100 million dollars and an Oscar winner in CINO, Collora´s films are masterpieces...

5. Milkman95 Movie Extra & Actor

^I guess I agree, but I was just trying to make a point about films in general getting unneeded criticism........it's just the name of the game.

6. spidermanfreak22 Registered

I loved Dead End because it was new and fresh and out of nowhere. I personally feel it was the best depiction of Batman live action. But my feelings on the live action Batman's are that all Burton ever gave us was a great over the top Joker a great Catwoman and a perfect theme song. The best Batman depiction has to be the animated series. Dead End was very close to capturing that feel. As much as everyone hated the Aliens and Predators sit back and ask yourself. Would we have ever seen Batman fight the Aliens and Predators had it not been for Sandy? The answer NO. Look we have to be happy that today fan films can compete In my opinion with stuff that is a weekly Television series. These fan films blow away Smallville and that Birds of Prey tv show that was once on WB. Aaaron Schoneke 19 is getting better and better. His Year One costume was crap but then he made Dark Justice. The problem with that film is that it was eclipsed by the great Dead End and Death of Batman. And it was kind of boring in action compared to Dead End which had Batman facing off against a Predator. I cant wait to see his Madness film and see how he has Batman pit off against Superman. But I'm afraid fans will dismiss Madness because Collora beat him to releasing his film and they'll think its a copy of Worlds Finest.

My point is around the same time of 3 ccd dv cameras and broadband internet were being made for public all we had was the Fantastic Four movie and Dan Pooles Green Goblin's Last Stand. Until then any fan film looked extremely cheesy being that it looked like it was done on 600 dollar vhs camcorders practical sets and costume made from Wal Mart. Dead End looked like a professional tv show and it was done for 30 grand. I believe the average TV Episode for a Hercules or Xena ranged form 500,000 or less. In the end Hype killed this film. I prefer Grayson much more than this trailer. The question I pose is where is this going?

Guys like Sandy, Dan,Aaaron,and Fiorella are making these cock teases but can never manage to make anything feature length. And who can blame them. The average salary they can blow is what 40 grand. For me these fan films are an oppurtunity to finally see the characters having crossovers. In Hollywood to cross over two characters from the same universe such as a Dare Devil and Spider-man can take years and cost millions. Look how long its taken Hollywood to cross over Alien and Predator or Freddy and Jason. Hollywood is the mind of business. The average comic book film can cost upwards from 60 million (Hellboy) to 225 Million (Spider-man 2). The problem is that these budgets end up doing more harm than good. Right now in Hollywood young directors are helming huge productions because of their success with a smaller film made cult classic. The process to make a superhero film is long and requires many hurdles.

But with fan films you can get more of a Lost In Translation style of film making. I mean honestly did anyone even know who Clark Bartram was before Sandy introduced him? No! When Superman casting choices came up no one was saying the name Mike O Hearn. I look at these fan films as a voice and power to sway the mob (us). Like that line in Gladiator. "I am a slave what possible difference can I make." Look at the difference these fan films have made. Im not asking you guys to like or hate them. I mean some of them down right suck. But its great we can finally live in a time where its no longer impossible for a comic book reader to put to vision his ideas for a character. Worlds Finest is Sandy's vision of Superman. We can all agree Reeves will never be topped. But I would have never see O'Hearn in my life if not for this film and you know what hes much better than the casting choices WB was throwing around before. Ashton Kutcher ring a bell.

I think were going to need some crazy billionare to come out and give a 500 grand or more to some of these guys and see what they can come up with. Keep in mind the so called greatest film of all time Citizen Kane only cost Orson Welles less than a Million Bucks! The bar for Fan Films has been raised its not enough to grab a DV camera go to a costume shop buy a superman costume and grabd some guy in the gym. You need to invest time money and creativity all for a mere 8 or more minutes.

I think people are confused (Sandy) that Hollywood is going to let them helm a big budget movie for having an acclaimed fan film. I think that the thinking for that is wrong. The need to think smaller instead of bigger. The should try and get some sort of fan series like American Express has for those Superman Seinfeld shorts except they should see if they can get 30 minutes or more for maybe 3-5 episodes and a making of. Because there is profit in it for the studio where they can sell a DVD for 12-18 bucks. DVD distribution is much cheaper and faster and marketing can be done through Superhero Hype and Internet sites. You can release REAL trailers online and then let fans decided whether they want to purchase it or not.

7. iconboy Registered

my 2 cents...

i liked everything visually. the lines were ok, but delivered badly, and was it just me or did anyone else notice that the video was great but the audio was just WEIRD. bad even. i mean the scenes with big rooms and people speaking sounded really ameuturistic (spelling?)

i dont mean to knock anyone here, because the truth of the matter is, without fan films we wouldnt see these types of stories and ideas visually at all!

i always ***** and moan about when hollywood casts people that dont FEEL like the character in superhero fillms, but i feel like it was a miss here too. now i know that for a fan film you cant go knock on ben affleck or christian bale's door and ask them to be in your 5 min fan film, but i mean its just sooo weiirrdd the casting here...

the guy who played superman, looked great as superman and like ok as clark. someone mentioned he should have changed his body lingo for clark and i totally agree. the guy who played batman, im sorry couldnt really fill out the mask and looked kinda old to be playing batman. the person who played lois was SOOO OFF. i think many people think she was good because she was hot, but lois is suppose to be intelligent, witty and beutiful. not obnoxious, dull and slightly ****ty. I dunno thats the vibe i got.

TWO FACE was HOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIIBBBBBBLLLLLEEEEEEEEEE

did they actually see two faces' shots and say "yeah thats good put that in!" cause OMG!

HOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIIBBBBBBBBBLLLLLLLEEEE!

luthor was cool. The suit he wore was awsome, high production wise.

A few people have said this and I conquor... the trailer made NO SENSE if it was to show off a full story, Im sorry its just confusing.

this director should have kept the batmana and superman universes SEPERATE. the comic was a stupid idea and it is a stupid idea for this fan film. Kepp em seperate, i am confident that the director can make a kick asss supes film and a kick ass batman flick, just keep em seperate!!!

8. BatMatt Registered

Batman looks ridiculous in his head on shot while talking to Superman, his eyes look pink

9. JBElliott Registered

If you've read enough Superman comics, you'll know that he stands with his hands on hips quite a bit after breaking down doors, walls or various other barriers.

Yeah, Collora tried to stay faithful to what we see in comics and succeeded to varying degrees. Rami tried the same thing and succeeded to a greater degree, but then he had a budget that was almost 21,000 times what Collora did. If you take that into account, the Collora did very well on all counts. Anything from the comic page can be translated onto film and have very good results if done properly. It's a pity that WB doesn't understand this, but it's good that Sony does.

As for being ultimately disappointing, it depends on what you expect. For what Collora has to work with, I think he did pretty well. I don't know what you're comparing WF to, but it doesn't seem like you're really considering it in the proper context.

There's more to "acting" in movies that just the ability of the actor. On stage, in a play, the actors ability is paramount. On film it's not as important. In major motion pictures the director can have the actor give several different readings of one scene and then put together the best preformances to give the appearance that the actor gave a good overall performance. While actors like DiNiro, Paccino, Washington or Hanks might not need several takes, "actors" like Schwarzenegger or Stallone probably so. In a film with a large budget the director can afford several takes to get something that works. I'm sure that's what Cameron did when he worked with Schwarzenegger. On the other hand, if the budget is low and only a few takes are possible, even someone of Schwarzenegger's "talent" can give an awful performance; e.g. "Hercules in New York ." I'm sure if Collora had the time to give Bartram and O'Hearn more chances the acting would have been better, say on the level of Schwarzenegger or Stallone in their big budget action movies, though not nearly as good as DiNiro, Paccino, Washington or Hanks.

Yeah, there's a lot of funny stuff there, but not as much from the Bush/Cheney administration; e.g. "weapons of mass destruction" vs. "no weapons of mass destructions" or "Saddam tries to get uranium from Niger" (even though the US intelligence community told Bush/Cheney that that most certainly wasn't true) or "our contribution to the Vietnam War" or lack thereof, and so on and so on. It's a real gut buster. :D

10. MJZ Registered

Politics in the Batman forum.

BE GONE!!

11. JBElliott Registered

Politics belong here. There were a lot of them in "The Dark Knight Returns" after all. ;)

12. Milkman95 Movie Extra & Actor

I guess this thread has died, just like WF did........

13. Joined:
    Jul 19, 2003
    I think they all have

14. WHat's this mess I hear about Robert Downey, Jr playing IRON MAN?! I was hoping Oded Fehr would do the character justice.
    My casting for a live action ULTIMATES film would be:

Captain America-Cole Hauser
    Iron Man-Oded Fehr
    Thor-Zakk Wylde or Tyler Mane
    Wasp-Lucy Liu
    Giant Man-Josh Lucas
    Black Widow-Milla Jovovich
    Hawkeye-Orlando Bloom
    Nick Fury-Samuel L. Jackson (of course)

If you guys have other opinions, go for it, I'm open

15. El Payaso Registered

Collora's Superman is balding too fast.

16. Kevin Roegele Do you mind if I don't?

Amazing. Of all the wrong threads to post in, you chose a two year old thread about a Batman and Superman fan trailer?