Worst and/or Least favourite live action film adaptation of a comic book story

Discussion in 'Misc. Comics Films' started by Batmannerism, Jun 15, 2019.

?

Worst/Least favourite live action film adaptation of a comic book story.

1. Dark Phoenix (Eponymous )

5 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. X-Men: The Last Stand (Dark Phoenix Saga)

5 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. X2 (God loves, Man Kills)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. X-Men Days of Future Past (self-explanatory)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. X-Men First Class (the comic....I know, really !)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. The Wolverine ( Wolverine miniseries 1982)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Logan (Old Man Logan)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. X Men Apocalpyse ( Fall of the Mutants....sort of )

5 vote(s)
    20.0%
  9. Watchmen - 2009 ( you know)

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  10. Spider-Man 3 (the birth of Venom)

2 vote(s)
    8.0%
  11. Fantastic Four Rise of the Silver Surfer (Eponymous)

2 vote(s)
    8.0%
  12. Avengers, Age of Ultron ( Eponymous)

2 vote(s)
    8.0%
  13. Avengers Infinity War ( the Infinity Saga)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. Avengers Endgame (the Infinity Saga)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. Thor: The Dark World (the Casket of Winters....I think)

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  16. Thor: Ragnarok ( The Surtur Saga and Planet Hulk)

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  17. Captain America: The Winter Soldier ( Eponymous)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  18. Captain America: Civil War (Eponymous)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  19. Batman vs Superman ( The Death of Superman)

14 vote(s)
    56.0%
  20. Green Lantern ( the Parallax saga)

3 vote(s)
    12.0%
  21. Justice League ( JL:Origins)

5 vote(s)
    20.0%
  22. Constantine - 2005, Keanu Reeves ( Hellblazer: "Dangerous Habits" and "Original Sins")

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  23. League of Extraordinary Gentlemen ( Eponymous)

7 vote(s)
    28.0%
  24. KIngsman: The Secret Service (Eponymous)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  25. Wanted (Eponymous)

2 vote(s)
    8.0%
  26. Kick Ass (Eponymous)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  27. Kick Ass 2 (Eponymous)

2 vote(s)
    8.0%
  28. Something else I haven't thought of

4 vote(s)
    16.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Batmannerism

Batmannerism Super-unknown

Okay, after the release of Dark Phoenix, and the strong negative reaction it seems to have got I've been thinking about how adaptations of comic book stories sometimes go well and sometimes go awry. I'm not a purist, so I realise that to translate a story from a comic to the big screen almost always requires changes to the story/characters/setting etc.

However, sometimes filmmakers change a story so much that its unrecognisable, sometimes they try to be faithful but just do a terrible job of filmmaking.

What I'm interested is in people's least favourite adaptation - and suggestions about which adaptation is the worst to date. These may not be the same thing e.g. you might think Days of Future Past is the worst adaptation, because of the story changes but still prefer it to another adaptation, like Age of Ultron.

I realise that for most people worst and least favourite are likely to be the same film, and it may be easier for folks to talk about a few films that are terrible adaptations.

This is also why the poll allows for multiple choices.

Before anyone freaks out, I'm putting some selections in the poll like Logan, Captain America:The Winter Soldier, and the Infinity Saga (Infinity War/Endgame) which I think are superbs film (and plenty of people agree with me- but some may not like as adaptations as they are substantially different than the comic book stories.

I have tried not to include origin films in the poll, because every origin film is an adaptation by default - and origin films deserve their own thread (and plenty have them already).

For our non-English speaking brothers and sister super-fans, "Eponymous" in the poll means that the film's title is the same as the comic book story the fim is adapting

As always, if people want to go off on tangents that's cool because discussion is what it"s all about.

For me, my least favourite adaptation would have to be Days of Future Past - it's not a bad film (and has the rare accomplishment of making Quicksilver cool, because in the comics he's usually a giant *****e bag) but I don't feel like the focus on Wolverine served the story well at all or had anywhere near the impact of the comic book story, which was pretty shocking and way ahead of its time.
    ( It's a better film than X-Men the Last Stand, which ruins the Dark Phoenix storyline by shoehorning it in to the main storyline. Although, otherwise I enjoyed TLS ).

However, the worst adaptation for me is League of Extra Ordinary Gentlemen ( which is simply a terrible film all around ) it has virtually nothing in common with the source material except the characters' names and the big-ass submarine. Oops, I guess its an origin film, oh well.

Interestingly, I find Constatine (Keanu Reeves) to be an enjoyable film, but a dreadful adaptation.

2. Kahran Ramsus

Kahran Ramsus Registered

I don't see it on here so I feel the need to give a special shout out to the Death of Gwen Stacy from TASM2 which was just abysmal, especially with how they handled the Green Goblin.

3. -Arya-

-Arya- World’s Strangest Heroes

The Death of Superman - BvS

4. Milk Tray Guy

Milk Tray Guy 70s Man of Action

I've yet to see Dark Phoenix, but of the others I'd have to go with JL. I'm one of those (yes, there are a few!) who likes Snyder's work and I was excited when I heard he was to have a big hand in shaping DC's new movie universe. Sure enough, I enjoyed MoS and BvS and was really looking forward to JL. And man, what a huge ****ing ****fest letdown it turned out to be. Even more frustratingly, some things that I've heard about since have left me pretty sure I would have liked Snyder's version. So yep, JL.

Now, if Batman & Robin or Origins: Wolverine had been eligible it might've been a tougher choice!

AVEITWITHJAMON and Batmannerism like this.
  5. Batmannerism

Thanks for that ! I knew I had overlooked a few things - good spotting Sir ! TBH I thought that Gwen's death and Stone and Garfield's performances were the only redeeming features of an otherwise awful film.

6. Batmannerism

Yeah I couldn't fit in Batman & Robin ( and it would probably skew the poll ) or Origins. Neither are really adaptations, really made for the big screen rubbish.

On that note I probably should have put in BB ( as an adaptation of Batman Year One) and TDKR ( No Man's Land).

For myself JL was a letdown, especially as an adaptation, but not as bad as B v S which made me so glad the movie was over that I barely cared about Superman' s death - but to each their own.

Cheers

psylockolussus and Milk Tray Guy like this.
  7. Kahran Ramsus

Kahran Ramsus Registered

What they did with Norman Osborn, Spider-Man's greatest villain, was a disgrace. It would be like if Christopher Nolan killed off the Joker in the opening scene of TDK.

8. Milk Tray Guy

Milk Tray Guy 70s Man of Action

Yes, I mean I wasn't blind to some of the problems of BvS. I thought doing Doomsday and the Death of Superman so early was a really stupid decision. I was one of those beforehand saying 'No, don't worry, they won't do that...' and they did! But there was enough there that I liked to carry me through. S'funny, I could never quite understand the degree of hate that was levelled at BvS. But then JL hit and I understood exactly how those people felt! :funny:

:up:

9. Batmannerism

On a related note I loved MoS, which is why I was so disappointed with B v S as it jumped straight into the Dark Knight returns ( bats v Supes fight) and the Death of Superman. We needed time to get more attached to the character before he was killed off - and Doomsday looked like an LOTR Cave Troll.

After the awesomeness of the Battle of Smallville in MoS I had high hopes for B v S, but Snyder dropped the ball...and then totally lost the ball for JL. :shrug:

Milk Tray Guy and Kahran Ramsus like this.
  10. Roose Bolton

Roose Bolton Son of Katas

I don’t exactly love how Planet Hulk was adapted into Thor Ragnarok. I like the film fine, but it massively wasted one of the Hulk’s greatest storylines in favour of a funny Thor adventure.

11. Flint Marko

Flint Marko Bring me Thanos

Ill say BvS/death of Superman, not just because they bungled it but because they never should have even attempted it when they did.

12. The Endless

The Endless WE are Groot

Has to be the Justice League Trilogy. An absolute crime how these true icons of the medium (and Cyborg) were wasted.

Man of Steel was salvagable if its follow up competently carried on the story and progression of Superman... but we know how that turned out. And it's an absolute disgrace.

Spider-Aziz, Bayne and -Arya- like this.
  13. Travesty

Travesty Registered

-I like BvS, but I'll agree that they didn't handle the DOS all that well....but, we did need to see the proper JL version to see how it all would have unfolded, but alas, from what we got, it wasn't that great.

-JL was also a piss poor attempt at the origin of the JL.

-SM3 version of the Birth of Venom was really bad.

-X-Men: Apocalypse was a terrible adaptation Age of Apocalypse(or whatever that movie was supposed to adapt)

-League of Extraordinary Gentlemen was a laughable mess of a movie.

-I liked Thor: Ragnarok, but it was a terrible adaptation of Planet Hulk.

Those are all the ones that stick out to me the most. And if I had to pick one, it would easily be LoEG. Without a question.

Milk Tray Guy likes this.
  14. Detective Conan

Detective Conan Registered

'Rise Of The Silver Surfer' simultaneously ruins both the "The Coming Of Galactus!" and FF # 51 at the same time.

#14 Detective Conan, Jun 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
  15. Erzengel

Erzengel |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

Trying to turn The Dark Knight Returns into the fight scene in BvS was my least favorite adaptation.

B likes this.
  16. B

B [insert witty comment]

BvS & it's adaptation of The Death of Superman.

There are worse ones up there, but because Superman is my favourite comic book character how BvS handled one of the characters most important comic book stories cuts a hell of a lot deeper for me.

BvS in general is an abomination, it tries to combine a few famous comic book stories/moments whatever you want to call them & bastardises them all.

Kahran Ramsus likes this.
  17. Spider-Aziz

Spider-Aziz Not the Voice You Know

Batman Begins suck as an adaption of Year One, cause it didn't have Gordon beating up a giant and leaving him lying naked on a snowy street.

If you know me, you know I love that movie dearly. Don't reply with "Not sure if serious"

Abudefduf and Deck Rickard like this.
  18. Spider-Aziz

Spider-Aziz Not the Voice You Know

As an adamant defender of that movie and that take on the title character, I will always agree in shame that the Osborns were terribly butchered for no good reason.

It's still a decent movie that gets more unfair flack than justifiable, and when it comes to Gwen's death this movie actually improved on both her character and why she was picked up for the killing.

I personally never understood why Death of Gwen is so highly regarded. The move of killing the girlfriend may have been bold, but Iron Man experienced it first and noone bats an eye about that book. And don't underestimate the character for being a B or C-lister cause that character attracted more readers to the publication of comics in general.

19. henzINNIT

henzINNIT Registered

It's a tough choice because many of these examples are only really riffing on moments for their own stories rather than outright adapting a storyline. I guess your mileage will vary on whether that is acceptable, but the ones that bug me most are those that do whatever they want but try to use iconic arcs to sell themselves, especially when they suck.

Dark Phoenix doesn't deserve the title it snatched, but X-Men Origins: Wolverine would top my list because it had such a clear and simple objective (be a Wolverine Origin). It had a great lead who was well established and so much source material to chose from, and still sucked harder than a black hole. Weapon X was right there. We had already seen it in X2. It looked good. And XO:W couldn't even just.. do that.

20. Deck Rickard

Deck Rickard Peter Tingle

I remember there were some set photos that leaked of Osborn’s disembodied head. I guess maybe they planned to bring him back as a clone or a cyborg or something in ASM3? They really didn’t know what the hell they were doing.

21. Deck Rickard

Deck Rickard Peter Tingle

Seriously. Especially since they cast an actor as Flass that we TOTALLY wanted to see naked. :funny:

Spider-Aziz and Batmannerism like this.
  22. Batmannerism

That is a disturbing image indeed.:barf:

In all seriousness, Nolan and co recognised that any Batman reboot had to be completely focused on Bruce Wayne and his journey - the comic story is more about moments of that journey as observed by Gordon ( who's really the main protagonist, he certainly gets the most attention).
    After the disastrous Batman and Robin, overstuffed with characters, the reboot had to be about Batman first and foremost IMO.

Deck Rickard and Spider-Aziz like this.
  23. Charzhin0

Charzhin0 Registered

Its more difficult to answer than I first thought. To me the worst adaptation has to butcher story, heros and villains so brutally that it is unrecognizable from its source material. Small or even medium changes are fine so long as the spirit of the characters and story remains in tact. Changing William Stryker from a mad preacher to a cunning military scientist in X2 for example is fine with me because Strykers intention in the movie is still as malicious and sinister as it was in God Loves Man Kills.

Lot of people are saying JL/ BvS which I understand but the characters still retain some authenticity about them.

I'm going to have to go with X3: The Last Stand as a terrible adaptation of the Phoenix Saga - even though the movie is still entertaining to me and better than Dark Phoenix 2019. TLS has no alien involvement whatsoever, which the comic relied heavily upon. The Cyclops-Jean angle which was important in the comic is discarded entirely once Jean kills Scott early on in the movie. The cure subplot has no business being in a dark phoenix saga adaptation. There is no judgement by a high council as there was in the comic - which I consider a pivotal scene, especially because the X-men are conflicted after the judgement was passed. I'm okay though with Magneto and the brotherhood being a substitute for the Hellfire club.

Batmannerism likes this.
  24. Charzhin0

Charzhin0 Registered

I dont consider Wolverine having that much focus in DOFP. His role is subdued and changed from previous movies to being the voice of reason rather than slashing his claws at every moment. He has to use his brains to help Xavier.

The spirit and message of the movie is just as good as the comic. The dark tone and serious threat posed by the sentinels is real throughout. The feeling of desperation is personified by the moment when old Xavier telepathically meets young Xavier. The mutant metaphor has never been as artistically and viscerally shown as during Magnetos message to the world at the end intercut with the future culling of mutants by the sentinels.

Ene and Batmannerism like this.
  25. Batmannerism

Just IMO, none of that came through for me. If they had really stayed true to the comic and let Ellen Page carry the film ( which she more than has the acting chops for) I feel like the spirit of the comic would have been preserved.

Also, the sentinels killing all the X-Men just didn't have the shock value that it did in the comics - or at least I didn't feel the same kind of shock.

I think that what's made me dislike the way the X-Men series has adapted classic storylines is the focus on Mystique.

Wolverine was the de facto main character for the first 3 films ( and DOFP) which I thought worked okay - but really needed a much stronger role for cyclops to balance him out, as cyclops has been a pivotal character for the X-Men since long before Wolverine came on the scene.

I guess one of the major differences between the films since XMFC is the focus on Xavier as a main character - whereas in the comics he's more of a stay at home dad.

One of the things that has worked well has been how all the films.have captured the relationship between Prof X and Magneto - although having two sets of very fine actors in the roles has allowed that to rise above the material.

I guess I have to agree with you that XM TLS is a dreadful adaptation of two totally incompatible storylines ( still an entertaining film though). I still think to do the saga justice they needed at least a 2 part film. Oh well, one day someone will get that story right.

Charzhin0 likes this.