Worst Comic Book Movies of the Decade (2010-2019)

BTW I seem to be the only non-Thor-fanatic on the hype who enjoyed, and still enjoys Thor The Dark World. @Stormborn help me out here, why is TDW considered a bad MCU movie ? I mean it's almost Shakespeare compared to Iron Man 2.

I agree that TDW falls short of its potential, but I still really enjoyed it ( and still do). Oh well, different strokes I guess....
The Dark World bores me so much I almost took a nap trying to remember it, it's that dull.
At least with Iron Man 2 there is enough material to be entertaining while I'm watching, and for the short time following while I remember it.

Yeah having watched both recently IM2 is above TDW for me. Ant-Man and the Wasp is the closest to TDW in terms of the MCU’s worst. IM2 also had Sam Rockwell.

Age Of Ultron I disliked a lot when it came out, but subsequent movies like BP, CW, Ragnorak and IW have made it a better experience. Ultron himself is still a crushing disappointment however.

The worst I could say about even the bottom-of-the-barrel Marvel movies is that they were boring.
IM 2, The Dark World, TIH, Capt Marvel, Ant Man, they're all rewatchable and enjoyable at times, they just don't have that spark that the better MCU films have

The worst comic movies imo have gotta be MoS, BvS, JL, SS, NuHellboy, First Class, XO:W, and X:A (haven't forced myself to watch Dark Phoenix attempt #2 yet) Movies that not only didn't have the spark of creative passion, but were also just dogs**t from an acting, writing, directing, and every other perspective

If the lockdown lasts until til the end of May, then maybe I'd watch it.

I accidentally saw the trailer of it in HBO yesterday.

TDW is lackluster in a lot of ways but the Thor/Loki moments alone put it well above the true dreck in the genre.

:highfive:

See, that's what I'm talking about! The Thor/Loki stuff is great. I thought the Kurse beatdown of Thor was pretty shocking, and the warriors 3 did their bit.

It could have used a lot less of Kat Dennings - can't believe Chris O'Dowd did cameo ! Anyway, I still can't understand how this gets better fan reception than Iron Man 2. Just me I guess.

I rewatched Ant Man the other day, I didn't find it memorable the first few times I saw it - but enjoyed it more this time and recognize just how much groundwork it laid for the MCU going forward.

The worst I could say about even the bottom-of-the-barrel Marvel movies is that they were boring.
IM 2, The Dark World, TIH, Capt Marvel, Ant Man, they're all rewatchable and enjoyable at times, they just don't have that spark that the better MCU films have

The worst comic movies imo have gotta be MoS, BvS, JL, SS, NuHellboy, First Class, XO:W, and X:A (haven't forced myself to watch Dark Phoenix attempt #2 yet) Movies that not only didn't have the spark of creative passion, but were also just dogs**t from an acting, writing, directing, and every other perspective

First Class? Many consider it to be the best in the franchise. It's not my personal number 1, but it's up there.

Good catch.
This one came one year too early to be listed in this thread.

Even with the worse reception for many likes The Dark World,,Green Lantern, Wolverine Zero .
.i enjoyed most of them.

Batman and Robin is also entertaining. I am not such a big fan so maybe thats why I can manage to enjoy it. Haha

But if I have to choose the worst of Comic movie, I choose Full Metal Alchemist. Considering how great the manga is, it is really disappointed me to watch its live action movie. Casting a boyband member as a lead character is a mistake.

But if I have to choose the worst of Comic movie, I choose Full Metal Alchemist. Considering how great the manga is, it is really disappointed me to watch its live action movie. Casting a boyband member as a lead character is a mistake.
I didn't know Ed was played by a boyband guy, but I know that my favorite character in the series was played by a singer, and he couldn't save him from this lifeless adaption one bit.

Yeah, his acting was cringeworthy. By the way, I’m rather curious, how is the movie perceived in Japan? While I think Japanese adaptions of anime are generally better than the West(looking at you Kenshin) I do think there have been flat-out bad ones. You being a Japanese person yourself, did you mind that they cast Asian people in roles that were supposed to be European? And would you agree with my opinion that FMA would be one of the anime/manga best suited for a HBO adaption?
I didn't know Ed was played by a boyband guy, but I know that my favorite character in the series was played by a singer, and he couldn't save him from this lifeless adaption one bit.
Which character are you referring to?

The flame alchemist

original.gif

The last two of my Hype year had his face for an avatar.

Yeah, his acting was cringeworthy. By the way, I’m rather curious, how is the movie perceived in Japan? While I think Japanese adaptions of anime are generally better than the West(looking at you Kenshin) I do think there have been flat-out bad ones. You being a Japanese person yourself, did you mind that they cast Asian people in roles that were supposed to be European? And would you agree with my opinion that FMA would be one of the anime/manga best suited for a HBO adaption?

Not all manga adaption is having a good reception, with the exception of the phenomenon ones like Rurouni Kenshin and Gintama, the rest is having a so-so to not so great reception. The newest example of bad adaption is Shingeki no Kyojin (Attack on Titans) and Bleach. And Full Metal Alchemist is falls among bad,even among manga fans here.

Though when it released here, it got mixed reaction. Those who love it mostly because they are fans of Hey!Say!JUMP, the famous boyband which its main singer is the one who playing Ed. While his acting is bad but at the end it helps because he has his devoted fans who loves him appearing in various drama and movies. Plus, the actress and actor who plays Winryi and Roy is also popular models who have lots of fans.

For your other question, honestly, I do not give such a big mind if there are characters suited best for Westerner people but playing by Asian and vice versa.. (because I think most of manga is based on fantasy world and reality, so I think it is not such a big issue if the characters is playing by cross race, except maybe for titles such as Kenshin with its strong Japanese history roots that made it a must to be playing by Japanese).

In Full Metal Alchemist case, I would not mind if someday it is being made by Hollywood studios whether it is in movie format or Netflix/HBO style mini series, because I think it is the one of few adaption that suited best for Hollywood style story (same with Attack on Titans).

Yeah, he is a main singer of the boyband I mentioned.

Nowdays, it is not unusual thing in Japanese entertainment that the singer, mostly idols and boybands to be have a popular names than real actors. The singer's boyband who plays Ed is under the biggest Japanese music producer (please go search "Johnny's Entertainment" and their impact on Japanese entertainment industry). So, even their acting is average at best, but given their publicity is so big, they always got a spotlight on headlining big movie projects.

Yeah, he is a main singer of the boyband I mentioned.

Nowdays, it is not unusual thing in Japanese entertainment that the singer, mostly idols and boybands to be have a popular names than real actors. The singer's boyband who plays Ed is under the biggest Japanese music producer (please go search "Johnny's Entertainment" and their impact on Japanese entertainment industry). So, even their acting is average at best, but given their publicity is so big, they always got a spotlight on headlining big movie projects.
The musicians in the cast should stick to their music instead.

One of the most impressive manga series ever made got a movie with so many wrong decisions made. Costumes and action are great, that movie has that at least.

If were just counting this decade, Here are mine.

1. Fan4stic
  2. Suicide Squad
  3. RIPD
  4. Jonah Hex
  5. Ghost Rider Spirit of Vengeance
  6. Batman V Superman
  7. Hellboy (2019)
  8. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2014)
  9. Green Lantern
  10. X-Men Dark Phoenix

If were just counting this decade, Here are mine.

1. Fan4stic
  2. Suicide Squad
  3. RIPD
  4. Jonah Hex
  5. Ghost Rider Spirit of Vengeance
  6. Batman V Superman
  7. Hellboy (2019)
  8. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2014)
  9. Green Lantern
  10. X-Men Dark Phoenix
I knew I forgot more than one thing. Got to add this and Attack on Titan to the opening list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"