Worst Comic Book Movies of the Decade (2010-2019)

Discussion in 'Misc. Comics Films' started by Spider-Aziz, Oct 10, 2019.

?

Choose the Ones You Find the Most Detestable

1. Most DCEU Movies 2016-2017 (not counting Wonder Woman in this choice)

60.0%
  2. Either one or both of the Ninja Turtles Movies

5.0%
  3. The Manga Based Stuff (Death Note, Fullmetal Alchemist, maybe others)

5.0%
  4. Any or all of the Bad - mediocre Fox made Marvel Movies

20.0%
  5. Hellboy

10.0%
  6. Other Independent Based CBMs (Green Hornet, Frankenstein, Conan the Barbarian)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Fant4stic (this one has enough hate to deserve its own choice)

50.0%
  8. Ghost Rider Spirit of Vengeance (and other Sony movies if you want to include them)

20.0%
  9. Other (Write below)

10.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Spider-Aziz Spelunking

That's ok, you did good correcting your mistake real quick. You also reminded me of one more $#%^ I did not include in the list of bad CBMs from the older decade to compare them to releases of last decade.

MarvelFan likes this.
  2. Infinity9999x Registered

Fan4Stick has got to be a solid contender right?

Spider-Aziz likes this.
  3. Spider-Aziz Spelunking

At this point I think it would be a winner if I added a poll.

4. Infinity9999x Registered

Yeah, it was rough. Though honestly, looking at the films people are putting down make me realize how far we've come in the genre. When you look at the quality of bad superhero films from the 90s compared to what a bad film in this past decade was, we've got it pretty good. Don't get me wrong, you still get some absolute stinkers, but not in the same quantity. Which is pretty crazy when you think about how many more Superhero flicks are being made today than in the 90s.

Spider-Aziz likes this.
  5. Herofan Registered

Green Lantern was boring, let alone underwhelming, but it's hard to see how it or The Amazing Spider-Man 2 or Sin City 2 could be seen as even among the worst.

I've skipped a lot post-2015, really too much to vote, but from what I have seen I would go with Iron Man 2 as the worst with runner-ups Captain America 1, Into the Spider-Verse, First Class, Spider-Man: Homecoming, Civil War and The Amazing Spider-Man.
    Edit: Also Doctor Strange between Civil War and The Amazing Spider-Man.

#205 Herofan, May 5, 2020
    Last edited: May 5, 2020
    Spider-Aziz likes this.
  6. Flint Marko Bring me Thanos

Captain America, Spider-verse, Homecoming and First Class are among the worst but not green lantern and ASM 2?

7. Herofan Registered

^Yes.

Spider-Aziz likes this.
  8. Herofan Registered

Having Jonathan die to protect Clark's secret and Lois know his secret so early on were at least risky creative choices.

Spider-Aziz likes this.
  9. Erzengel |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

The choice that Jonathan wanted Clark to make was taken out of his hands when Zod arrived, forcing Clark to introduce himself to the world. I watched a video stating it would have been a better idea if Clark tried to rescue his father with the tornado shielding his actions, and him still losing him because he's still not in control of his powers. That would have a better learning experience for him that even with his powers, he can't save everyone.

10. Frodo Registered

I agree, which is why its hard for me to really pronounce a "worst " film of the twenty teens. There may be films which aren't up to the standards of today's cbm's ,but the real bad , horrid cbm were in the 80s and 90s.

No cbm movie has come close to Batman and Robin in 1997 in terms of truly awful cbm imo. That film nearly tanked career's, and was truly a laughing stock in pop culture.

Films like Fan4stic, Green Lantern, ASM 2, weren't great, and may have been considered worse by the standards and expectations of today among fans, but you have a whole generation of fanboys and girls, who've yet to truly experience a film like Batman and Robin and what the impact of that was .

So I agree, we've got it pretty good today.

If anything, I'd say the decade was more characterized by polarizing cbm films than worse ones.

Man Of Steel, Batman v Superman, The Dark Knight Rises, Iron Man 2, Avengers Age of Ultron, Amazing Spiderman 1 and 2, etc were films in which there was a divide in the fandom as opposed to a consensus of a film being truly awful.

#210 Frodo, May 6, 2020
    Last edited: May 6, 2020
    Spider-Aziz likes this.
  11. SVSuperman Registered

Dark Phoenix was very disappointing.

Spider-Aziz likes this.
  12. EnDz0n3 Marvel Legend

I don't know...disappointing would mean you did not know who wrote and directed it, the number of delays it went thru, did not know the talk surrounding it and did not know that the reviews for it were god awful. I mean maybe because I was following the production of that film fairly closely so I have a different perspective?

I would say Dark Phoenix was worse than even I expected.

13. Spider-Aziz Spelunking

That's how I felt when I finally watched that $#%^.

14. Webfoot Hero West Coaster

Having seen Trank's F4 and it is much worse than the previous F4 films and any of the other films I've seen on the poll.

Spider-Aziz likes this.
  15. The Joker The Clown Prince of Crime

I am legit curious about the rationale behind this opinion. Why do you feel they are the worst?

psylockolussus and Spider-Aziz like this.
  16. Herofan Registered

Again bearing in mind I haven't seen a lot post-2015 ...

Captain America, though I don't remember a whole lot about it, the characters and plotting felt bland, the patriotic tone also pretty uninspiring.

Homecoming had an unlikeable version of Peter Parker, with the tech suit elements (though not really that focused on) taking away from or worsening a lot, bad follow-up and/or lack of to Civil War and generally annoying or otherwise badly adapted supporting characters and how they interacted with Peter.

Spider-Verse tried to make Spider-Man and his comics into a joke, there were a few good moments but it mostly felt both overblown/pretentious and underwhelming.

First Class was way overstuffed with excessive characters, most of whom were underdeveloped and had uninteresting powers/effects, pretty bad depiction of Xavier (not really either a leader/mentor of or comrade to the other team members) and his relationship with Magneto (too brief and rushed and likely-to-fail).

17. Bayne Registered

I actually thought Dark Phoenix was nowhere near as bad as I expected. Granted it wasn't good, and it was to be very specific way worse as an X-men movie than it was as just a movie, but it had generally decent acting for the most part and the shuttle sequence was genuinely cool. That alone makes it better than Apocalypse.

Spider-Aziz likes this.
  18. The Joker The Clown Prince of Crime

In the era of movies like Green Lantern and Jonah Hex, Captain America is the movie that stood out to you as a movie where the plotting and characters were bland and the worst of the bunch? I'd even say Thor the Dark World is more guilty of it than Cap.

The TASM movies don't stand out to you more as an unlikeable version of Peter Parker who's more obsessed with his parents than anything else, with badly adapted supporting characters (an Uncle Ben killed over chocolate milk, a Harry Osborn who was absent for most of Peter's life and became the first Green Goblin, a total butchering of the classic death of Gwen Stacy etc).

You'd could accuse most of the X-Men movies of having too many characters and not devoting enough time to most of them. I do not see what was bad about the depiction of Xavier. This was Xavier before he comes a leader and mentor, but it laid the foundation well to show how he will become that given how it showcased how he reached out to Raven, Erik, and the others, and in Raven's case actually took her in and became family to her.

#218 The Joker, Jun 7, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
    Spider-Aziz likes this.
  19. Spider-Aziz Spelunking

Adjusted that for you.

:oldrazz:

20. The Joker The Clown Prince of Crime

Yeah he was very into Gwen obviously, but she was a main character, big part of his life in both the movie and the comics. But his parents they were nonentities in the comics and the movie, yet he spent more time fussing to learn more about them for two movies. So much so that Aunt May had to literally shout at him that he was her child. Big yawner and totally out of character.

Spider-Aziz likes this.
  21. Frodo Registered

The ASM films were an example of too many studio cooks micro managing a franchise, and making films via committee.

Spider-Aziz likes this.
  22. Herofan Registered

GL was definitely bland and boring but despite that with the effects and Lively had some moments as well as, though being weird and not well-done, Hal and Hector having some OK/interesting character moments.

TASM 1 had about as unlikeable a version of Peter Parker and is about as bad a film as Homecoming (I did rank TASM 1 lower on first viewing it). TASM2 did butcher the Osborns (though that would be hard not to do with doing the Osborns at all so soon after the Raimi films), again had an unlikeable Peter and was generally unoriginal but I thought Peter was less unlikeable than in the first and the film did OK in adapting the death of Gwen (especially in that you might think it was predictable/inevitable but to me it didn't feel like that at all, the film made it feel pretty fresh and surprising and moving).

That one, however, felt like *really* few of the characters were done well and the rest were really lacking. It was also annoying that the bad guy's plan was basically the same as Magneto's in the first film and that despite being set in 1962 there was *nothing* about racial discrimination/segregation and the civil rights movement.

Spider-Aziz likes this.
  23. LvtLeeTDK Fullmetal Alchemist

Lmao all of this movies are in my top 10 CBMs of the decade :funny:

24. Triklops1975 Registered

Batman vs Superman
    Hellboy
    Fantastic Four
    Suicide Squad
    Justice League
    Green Lantern
    Dark Phoenix
    Jonah Hex
    Kick Ass 2
    The Green Hornet

Honorable mentions: Man of Steel, Amazing Spiderman 2 and The Dark Knight Rises... sorry not sorry :D

25. Mandon Knight This means something to those who believe....

For what it stands for in terms of the production and the manner of how it's director was treated, Justice League, thank goodness we are getting next year's true reflection of the film.