Worst Marvel Studio's movie so far?

Status
Not open for further replies.
^Its disliked among fanboys, this thread proves it to an extent, I liked the movie myself but I do find it gets worse with every repeat viewing. Something that hasnt happened with the other Marvel movies.

^Its disliked among fanboys, this thread proves it to an extent, I liked the movie myself but I do find it gets worse with every repeat viewing. Something that hasnt happened with the other Marvel movies.

The fanboys are irrelevant, is the thing.

Someone really needs to explain to me how a 82% audience rating for a film somehow translates to a lot of people not liking it.

Someone really needs to explain to me how a 82% audience rating for a film somehow translates to a lot of people not liking it.

"A lot of people" = A very vocal minority consisting of comic book purists

True, I don't even think that a majority of COMIC FANS hated IM 3, a lot of the one's that I've spoken with at least admire how ballsy it was.

I also can't fathom how some "purists" can disown Marvel for the Mandarin's treatment while having no problem with Fox perpetrating a similar bastardation with Viper and Silver Samurai. Or still having faith that third time will be the charm with FF despite them putting the screws to Galactus and Doom.

Iron Man 2 for me, despite it being my least favorite of the bunch I still love it!

I also can't fathom how some "purists" can disown Marvel for the Mandarin's treatment while having no problem with Fox perpetrating a similar bastardation with Viper and Silver Samurai.

Probably because those changes weren't played for laughs. I would have been fine with the twist, of the Mandarin being nothing more than a front, if they didn't turn it into another joke, in a long list of jokes. I mean seriously, this is what we got?

T"Challa;26843595 said:
"A lot of people" = A very vocal minority consisting of comic book purists

Part in bold is most likely accurate. the rest is opinion.

Probably because those changes weren't played for laughs. I would have been fine with the twist, of the Mandarin being nothing more than a front, if they didn't turn it into another joke, in a long list of jokes. I mean seriously, this is what we got?

Precisely, plus people didn't disown Marvel over Jarvis and Whiplash and others because they in general terms worked despite being bastardisations. Same with Silver Samurai

Last edited:
For me, it was between Iron Man 2 and Cap.

IM2 seemed very lazy compared to the first and Cap kinda had me yawning a few times, but I would go for IM2.

Iron Man 2 it's the only one that sucks, the rest are either good or great

I also can't fathom how some "purists" can disown Marvel for the Mandarin's treatment while having no problem with Fox perpetrating a similar bastardation with Viper and Silver Samurai. Or still having faith that third time will be the charm with FF despite them putting the screws to Galactus and Doom.
Viper and SS made sense in the context of the movie that they were telling. Plus, making Viper a mutant is nowhere near as big a change as turning IM's Joker into either, depending on your own pov, a drunken/drug addicted British actor, or a white guy in a business suit and tattoos.

True, I don't even think that a majority of COMIC FANS hated IM 3, a lot of the one's that I've spoken with at least admire how ballsy it was.

A lot of people on here dislike it, the GA liked it though and they are the ones that matter when it comes to the BO.

I liked the twist the 1st time I saw it but every time since it has irked me more and more, it shouldnt have been played for laughs if they were going to do it that way, it just makes the twist cheap.

Iron Man doesn't have a Joker. He doesn't even have a Penguin. That's the main reason I don't care about the twist. If Mandarin was this great iconic villain like Dr. Doom, I'd be right there with you ready to raze Disney World to the ground. But he isn't. He's not even close.

And neither are Viper or Silver Samurai.

What ASM does is far worse because Lizard, unlike Mandarin, actually is a great villain and they took away everything that made him great.

Really, I liked The Lizard. He was a decent guy who wanted to help people. Then he made one colossal mistake and things went to hell. That sounds like comic Lizard to me. His plan was even comic book Lizard's MOST FAMOUS plan. The only mistake they made was cutting out the scenes with his son, but that was Sony's call from what I hear.

I'll probably have to vote IM 3 on this one,though having said that,it's still a "good" movie.I don't think Marvel has made anything less than "good" at this point.

Iron Man doesn't have a Joker. He doesn't even have a Penguin. That's the main reason I don't care about the twist. If Mandarin was this great iconic villain like Dr. Doom, I'd be right there with you ready to raze Disney World to the ground. But he isn't. He's not even close.

And neither are Viper or Silver Samurai.

What ASM does is far worse because Lizard, unlike Mandarin, actually is a great villain and they took away everything that made him great.

I do think they botched The Lizard a little too much, he is one of my favourite Spidey villains and they just didnt do enough with him, didnt like the design either.

Really, I liked The Lizard. He was a decent guy who wanted to help people. Then he made one colossal mistake and things went to hell. That sounds like comic Lizard to me. His plan was even comic book Lizard's MOST FAMOUS plan. The only mistake they made was cutting out the scenes with his son, but that was Sony's call from what I hear.

I did think his family were sorely missed from the story, they were always a big part in making Connor/The Lizard a great character.

I thought the Lizard was alright. Having no snout is better than having him a dinosaur, it would look very silly if he talked like that. They went for this humanoid-lizard idea which made sense has he wanted to enhance humanity, not turn them into dinosaurs. The only crime was not showing his family but even at that there were attempts to sympathise him.

Green Goblin's costume looked ridiculous and the mask meant you could not see his facial expressions, at least having no snout meant it was easy to do that. The Lizard had a plan, GG had a complete turn around and wanted to "rule the city" which is never fully explored.
Green Goblin might have been a more entertaining villain but quality wise they were both pretty average.

The Lizard's look wouldn't even make a convincing Killer Croc.

The Lizard's look wouldn't even make a convincing Killer Croc.

Because he wasn't Killer Croc. He's based off the early design. Now I would have liked to have seen a small snout but surly it's better than having a mindless CGI Dinosaur!?

Then add in the fact that the marketing for the movie showed the exact opposite. That wasn't a twist as much as it was a misleading lie.

If you tell me we're going to get ice cream and show me ads in the paper for Cold Stone all week then ultimately take me to WalMart and buy me a Great Value brand ice cream sandwich for a nickle, that's misleading. Or as I'd call it, cinematic entrapment.

That being said, my answer to the poll, I'd have to say Iron Man 3 by a small margin over Iron Man 2. All of the films had their issues (Thor had a ton of cheese, CATFA had inconsistency in their effort scene-to-scene, TIH seemed hollow at times, etc.), but Iron Man 2 and 3 had the most problems. And Iron Man 3 gave us bigger expectations and had a few more, let's call them "insulting" moments to the viewers.

The Mandarin thing, no need to elaborate.
Not enough Iron Man.
Too many corny jokes that didn't fit.
Too many "now why would _____ even do that to begin with?" moments.
The "PTSD" issue was VERY poorly done. And the solution to it was even worse.
The destruction of the armors was pointless.
They moved from plausible villains to unrealistic villains.
Tony remotely controlling the Mark XLVII during the Air Force One rescue had no risk to Tony himself (and where did the headset come from?).
Pepper gaining powers and killing another villain.
They teased about the background issue with the Vice President, but didn't follow it through, leaving it to feel empty and added on last minute.
Even the post credit scene, while funny, was unfulfilling.

Then add in the fact that the marketing for the movie showed the exact opposite. That wasn't a twist as much as it was a misleading lie.

If you tell me we're going to get ice cream and show me ads in the paper for Cold Stone all week then ultimately take me to WalMart and buy me a Great Value brand ice cream sandwich for a nickle, that's misleading. Or as I'd call it, cinematic entrapment.

That being said, my answer to the poll, I'd have to say Iron Man 3 by a small margin over Iron Man 2. All of the films had their issues (Thor had a ton of cheese, CATFA had inconsistency in their effort scene-to-scene, TIH seemed hollow at times, etc.), but Iron Man 2 and 3 had the most problems. And Iron Man 3 gave us bigger expectations and had a few more, let's call them "insulting" moments to the viewers.

The Mandarin thing, no need to elaborate.
Not enough Iron Man.
Too many corny jokes that didn't fit.
Too many "now why would _____ even do that to begin with?" moments.
The "PTSD" issue was VERY poorly done. And the solution to it was even worse.
The destruction of the armors was pointless.
They moved from plausible villains to unrealistic villains.
Tony remotely controlling the Mark XLVII during the Air Force One rescue had no risk to Tony himself (and where did the headset come from?).
Pepper gaining powers and killing another villain.
They teased about the background issue with the Vice President, but didn't follow it through, leaving it to feel empty and added on last minute.
Even the post credit scene, while funny, was unfulfilling.

It was pretty clear that the VP was willing to betray the US so that his legless daughter could be cured via the Extremis process - and he was shown being arrested at the end - so what was not followed through?

Because he wasn't Killer Croc. He's based off the early design. Now I would have liked to have seen a small snout but surly it's better than having a mindless CGI Dinosaur!?

The Lizard looked like the Lizard - the Ditko Lizard - the way he's suppose to look. I guess they could have gotten him a little more Ditko like, but at least he did not look like that laughable MacFarlane Lizard...

The Lizard was the only part of ASM that I liked it (aside from casting Fields and Sheen, who were underused/used not well.) Ifans did a terrific job capturing the Hyde/Jekyll duality of the Lizard...in fact, he supplied one of the best performances in the SM film-line.

I thought the Lizard was alright. Having no snout is better than having him a dinosaur, it would look very silly if he talked like that. They went for this humanoid-lizard idea which made sense has he wanted to enhance humanity, not turn them into dinosaurs. The only crime was not showing his family but even at that there were attempts to sympathise him.

Green Goblin's costume looked ridiculous and the mask meant you could not see his facial expressions, at least having no snout meant it was easy to do that. The Lizard had a plan, GG had a complete turn around and wanted to "rule the city" which is never fully explored.
Green Goblin might have been a more entertaining villain but quality wise they were both pretty average.

It was stated earlier in the movie why this was, the older Doctor in Normans lab said one of the side effects from the serum was insanity, along with increased rage, taking over a city was pretty insane, so this was totally explained.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"