Worst Moments as a Sports Fan?

Genesis 1.0

Thread Overlord's Minion
Reaction score
Kicker shanks an easy FG. Your QB throws a pick to end the game. A SG drops a 3 PT dagger in the closing seconds. Your goalie gives up the last point at the end of overtime. The Yankees win another World Series.:yay:

As a sports fan, there are moments that you will remember forever. Moments that leave you feeling hollow or enraged, or an unhealthy mix of both.

The 1st Step toward recovery isn't admitting the problem, it's sharing your festering wound with the rest of the world. Time to open up.

Personally:

-Cundiff ****s up a .00000001 yard FG against the Patriots

-Ravens ousted by the Steelers 31 - 24 2010 Season

-Connecticut 79, Duke 78 2003 - 2004 Final Four. Losing by a f'n POINT

-Duke loses 93 - 77 to ARIZONA as a #1 Seed

-Lakers swept by the Jazz in the Conference Finals 97 - 98 season

-Lakers molested by the Pistons 4 - 1 in the Finals 03 - 04 season

-Losing in the Finals to the punk ash Celtics 07 -08 Season

Other losses piss me off but these? These set my ****ing teeth on edge.

The Yankees blowing the 2004 ALCS. The A-Rod slap play especially drove me out of my mind. It was so unsportsmanlike and I really didn't like him after that. Add on the opt out stunt he pulled during the 07 WS and his steroid admission, I can't wait until his contract is up.

The Knicks losing to the Pacers in game 7 of the 95 playoffs hurt. So did the brawl with Miami in 97 that cost them the series. They had a serious squad that year and could have beat the Bulls IMO.

The Knicks trading Ewing is a very bad memory. I remember listening to the press conference on the radio at work. It kicked off a chain of events that led to a decade of nightmarish basketball.

There were a ton of bad moments as a Giants fan ( especially DeSean Jackson's punt return in 2010) but 2 Super Bowls have wiped a lot of those out of my brain.

Having the witness the Packers murder my Falcons dead on the field in the playoffs.

The Braves choke outs in the 90s. Can't name a single one as they've all kind of blended together.

When I first heard about Vick getting indicted...that was rough.

The Yankees blowing the 2004 ALCS. The A-Rod slap play especially drove me out of my mind. It was so unsportsmanlike and I really didn't like him after that. Add on the opt out stunt he pulled during the 07 WS and his steroid admission, I can't wait until his contract is up.

The Knicks losing to the Pacers in game 7 of the 95 playoffs hurt. So did the brawl with Miami in 97 that cost them the series. They had a serious squad that year and could have beat the Bulls IMO.

The Knicks trading Ewing is a very bad memory. I remember listening to the press conference on the radio at work. It kicked off a chain of events that led to a decade of nightmarish basketball.

There were a ton of bad moments as a Giants fan ( especially DeSean Jackson's punt return in 2010) but 2 Super Bowls have wiped a lot of those out of my brain.

Yes, Yes, Yes. That drove me f'n nuts, it was just so damn stupid & we would have won it all. Just thinking about it is pissing me off all over again.:o

As to the Vick process, from start to finish (prison) was a low for alot of sports fans in general, glad you mentioned that. I know it had to be 10x worse for a Falcons fan.

4th and 26. I thought they had a chance that year, and even though they've won since, it doesn't take the sting away on such a boneheaded play. Just typing it pisses me off...:cmad:

Colt McCoy. National Championship Game. I felt sick.

As a Yankees, Giants, Knicks, Rangers fan, I could say 2004 but it's kinda blown over for me, I think right now it's the almost 40 year drought since the Knicks won a championship. And 93-94 and 99-00 didn't help.

As to the Vick process, from start to finish (prison) was a low for alot of sports fans in general, glad you mentioned that. I know it had to be 10x worse for a Falcons fan.
Yea, the whole year after I heard the indictment news was so bleak. It was the only time as a football fan that I honestly believed my team was never going to rebound. Its bad when your former favorite player is in prison, it's worse when you team goes 3-13 along side that.

Yeah but you guys have rebounded very nicely since then. Hell, you could have ended up like Cleavland or Detroit for all those years.

1994 when michael schumacher deliberately hit damon hill and denied him the title.
juventus losing champions league final against dortmund in 1997, real madrid in 1998 and ac milan in 2003. should have won all 3 of them.
novak djokovic losing to federer in roland garros semi final 2011. he could have and should have won all 4 slams that season.
most tragic moment was when monika seles was stabbed by that guy during a tennis match. she could have won so much.

As a Yankees, Giants, Knicks, Rangers fan, I could say 2004 but it's kinda blown over for me, I think right now it's the almost 40 year drought since the Knicks won a championship. And 93-94 and 99-00 didn't help.

They had the Finals nearly won in 93-94, that one hurt. I had low expectations going into the 99 Finals. They were so banged up, I knew in my mind there was no way they were going to beat Robinson and Duncan.

I've got a ton of great memories from that decade. Even if STAT and Melo happen to win a championship one day, I'll still love those 90's teams.

Between the Giants win in 90, Rangers in 94 and Yankees in 96, a win in 94 would have been perfect.

The Swedish hockey team losing to Belarus in the quarter finals of the Olympic tournament in 2002. Unfathomable to go from dominating Team Canada to that.

I was a Phillies fan from 1993 - 2004ish. That first season was so cool, they made it to the series, but then disappointing for nearly a decade.

But, in 2007, I got back into the Phillies, just in time for them to be good, and they won the series the next year. That was pretty cool.

The absolute worst moment, was when the Flyers got killed by the Redwings.

That was rock bottom. I'm still not able to really get through an entire Flyers game. It's too emotionally damaging.

BUT - If they do win the series this year, I'll be the first person at the Parade, because they owe me for my decade of dedication.

Here are a few...

2004 John Kasey kicks the ensuing kickoff out of bounds after the Panthers had tied Super Bowl 38 with 1:08 left in regulation.
2004 Yankees blow 3-0 lead on Red Sox
2007 Cavs swept by Spurs in NBA Finals
2010 Flyers lose to Blackhawks in Stanley Cup Finals

Yeah, that Kasay kick was just excruciating to watch & I didn't give a damn about either team. I mean, WOW, how useless do you have to feel after shanking that one?

Funny, usually when teams like Duke, the Lakers, and Yankees lose, it's everyone else's best moments.

That being said Genesis, shouldnt you be a Cowboys fan too? Just to complete the quadrant of awfulness? ;)

roflmao.gif
Hulking up on me, 'eh? Year in & year out, it's always the same, never shifts, never changes. Can't help I was raised with good taste.

I'm guessing you went to Duke or knows someone who did? The Ravens are obvious. Who in your house were Yankees and Lakers fans? :huh:

Losing to f***ing Tim Tebow in the first round of the AFC playoffs.

There is no greater shame than that.

Perhaps. But at least you lost to 16 quarterbacks that were better than Tebow.

My SF Giants losing the 2002 World Series. :csad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"