Worst moments in movies

I surprised no one has mentioned anything from Spawn on this thread.

That's because Spawn isn't Marvel.

On a side note is it me or is Zev really either incomprehensible or just really slow?

Originally posted by Quentin Black
That's because Spawn isn't Marvel.

On a side note is it me or is Zev really either incomprehensible or just really slow?

Neither. I'm crazy... like a fox!

Besides, I thought you'd like that I'm trashing Spider-Man a bit.

Yeah, Batman isn't Marvel either and I see a lot of it on this thread, so I didn't think that mattered.

You were? I couldn't tell whether that was just your usual backwards 'wit' or if you actually were making a point.

Backwards wit? So I have 'tiw'? And I can't really remember much of Spawn, except that is was just sucky overall. In that way I guess it was a faithful comics adaption.

I think Spawn at one point got a cute kiddie sidekick. That was kinda bad.

And, just in case you haven't noticed, the title of this thread is worst moments in COMIC BOOK movies. Not Marvel movies. My inital post had Superman and Batman. Three pages and you haven't figured this out.

And you call me slow.

By the way, in the original comic Matt showed his abilties to Elektra alone in an isolated area of his college campus (having had the foresight to have Foggy distract her bodyguard), NOT in broad daylight in a crowded playground.

Yada yada yada, despite the text that everyone copies and pastes from marvel thinking they know all about the character he does it all the time in the in the comics, be it with Frank Miller or Alex Maleev.

Oh, that condescending tone really does it for me.

Originally posted by Zev
Backwards wit? So I have 'tiw'? And I can't really remember much of Spawn, except that is was just sucky overall. In that way I guess it was a faithful comics adaption.

I think Spawn at one point got a cute kiddie sidekick. That was kinda bad.

And, just in case you haven't noticed, the title of this thread is worst moments in COMIC BOOK movies. Not Marvel movies. My inital post had Superman and Batman. Three pages and you haven't figured this out.

And you call me slow.

By the way, in the original comic Matt showed his abilties to Elektra alone in an isolated area of his college campus (having had the foresight to have Foggy distract her bodyguard), NOT in broad daylight in a crowded playground.

Look, you took a phrase literally, soo witty.

WRONG FORUM :rolleyes:

Very secluded, no one would ever think to go down a campus path.

Originally posted by spide-ed
Oh, that condescending tone really does it for me.

Hey don't get sore just because you can't seem to do your research.

Man you have way too much time on your hands, they're just movies!

Hey don't get sore just because you can't seem to do your research.

I guess im just jealous of how cool you are. ;)

Look, you took a phrase literally, soo witty.

WRONG FORUM :rolleyes:

Very secluded, no one would ever think to go down a campus path.

Look, you pointed out what I did to be funny, soo witty.

Funny, you've posted in here a dozen times and never complained about the forum. But I'll allow for it since you're slow.

More secluded then a crowded playground. Plus, doing a single jump over a person is a lot briefer then a protracted kung-fu fight.

Wow, not original enough to think up of your own comback? Well it is you afterall.

Wow what a complaint I made :rolleyes:. Nothing would have been said about what forum it was in if you hadn't had tried to be soo clever by pointing out that I missed out the fact that there were Superman and Batman films in this thread when I pointed out that Spawn wasn't Marvel. Guess you couldn't resist making a snipe but either way you seemed to have missed the forum...I know finding a forum is a difficult task and all but please do put in an effort next time.

Hmm, who was there apart from a bunch a little kids? They make great witnesses and detectives don't they

I only mention big projects or half decent ones no B-movies (Superman IV, Marvel movies in the 80's, Spawn, Steel, B&R, etc) or just crap.

-Halle Berry and Toad, death scene-X-Men.
-Little Matt beating up bullies in DD.
-Otis-Superman
-Playground fight-DD
-"What I said to Spider-Man" hospital-Spider-Man
-Cinderella-Spider-Man
-Fire house wisecrack-Spider-Man
-Thumbs up-Spider-Man

Oh and

-Hulk folloowing the great speech by Nick Nolte and the father and son relationship ruined by his speech....no by that stupid as crap fight between the two in the end. Absorbing Dad does indeed suck.

CAn't think of any others, but there are more.

Isildur-
Sadly, WB won't release the "Girls Gone Wild" featuring Power Girl, and equally unfortunately, NecroMantra has been M.I.A. since the early ninties when Malibu was absorbed by Marvel. Perhaps she'll make an appearance on The Man Show.....

The worst moment ever in a comic book/superhero movie.

Superman turning back time. Why?

Uhhh.... Hello! He turned back ^_^^_^^_^^_^^_^ing time!!!!!! There are so many things wrong with that, I can't even begin to list them! The whole missle thing and Lex knowing he couldn't solve every problem in the time available were great, as was the scene where he finds Lois dead. But the sheer stupidity of this time thing makes a goofball Lex and his airhead assistants look like movie gold.

Originally posted by DACrowe
I only mention big projects or half decent ones no B-movies (Superman IV, Marvel movies in the 80's, Spawn, Steel, B&R, etc) or just crap.

-Halle Berry and Toad, death scene-X-Men.
-Little Matt beating up bullies in DD.
-Otis-Superman
-Playground fight-DD
-"What I said to Spider-Man" hospital-Spider-Man
-Cinderella-Spider-Man
-Fire house wisecrack-Spider-Man
-Thumbs up-Spider-Man

I agree with all of these except for the playground fight (which I thought was awesome). There are a few more in Hulk and Spidey that I would add though.

Hmm, who was there apart from a bunch a little kids? They make great witnesses and detectives don't they

And their parents, since I don't think many would willingly leave their children alone in New York City. And the playground was about a block away from a coffee shop, so it's probably in some kind of business district. People are walking around, driving. I don't know how you can think this scene is 'awesome'. It's padding of the worst sort. "We need more action, quick, find a way to put in a kung-fu fight!"

DACrowe, Batman & Robin and Superman 4 were both sequels to blockbusters. They were big movies, which makes their badness all the more inexcusable. In both cases, the WB ruined some of their biggest franchises by making them overly campy and stupid.

Of course, Marvel did the same thing with Daredevil by loading it with prima donna stars and generally casting more for popularity at the moment then rightness for the role. Kingpin I can understand, but how do you get Jennifer Garner from Elektra Natchios? And Colin Farrell as Bullseye? They got lucky on that one, I'll give you that.

Think of some of the better comic book movies. They're mostly unknowns in the leads. What did Hugh Jackman do before X-Men? What did Christopher Reeves do before Superman? Now, what did Arnold Schwarzenegger do before Batman & Robin or Tommy Lee Jones do before Batman Forever? Hell, what did Halle Berry do before Catwoman? As you can see, this way lies madness.

Yes, there were so many parents watching. This is a inner city playground with kids in their early teens, not a suburban park where dads play catch with their kids. It's a nice performance that lasted for two minutes but that isn't going to turn many heads. From what most people will be able to see is a smartly dressed guy doing some sort of performance with a girl. It's in Hells Kitchen of the comics btw if hadn't figured that one out. If they wanted more action and padding don't you think they would go with the erm...31 minutes that was cut rather than a two minute scene? :rolleyes:

Prima donna stars? Collin Farrell and Jennifer Garner were small names before the film (do your research) and were extremly hard workers, quite the oppisite of prima donnas. The only people of note were Ben Affleck who most agree did a great job, MCD (perfect for the role) who has only ever done supporting roles and Joey Pantaliano who normally sticks to the indie or more obscure roles. If they were really so careless they would not have gotten such a strong cast (something which most critics agree on). The weakest bit of casting was Garner who a lot of people liked and I doubt you could think of a better person for the role.

Ian McKellen, Patrick Stuart, Jennifer Conelly, Wesley Snipes, Kirsten Dunst, Willem Dafoe, Tobey Maguire, Nick Nolte, Micheal Keaton, Jack Nicholson, Kim Basinger, Michelle Phiffer, Danny Devito, Christopher Walken, all had relatively strong careers before they did their films and were bigger stars than MCD, DD's second biggest star with some being on equal pegging with Ben.

Stephen Dorff, Fanke Jenssen, Josh Lucas, Anna Paquin, Alan Cumming and Brian Cox all also had strong careers or career bases and would match up to Joey Pantaliano or any of the other supporting characters in DD for starpower.

Yes, so just because DD had a few stars it's automatically a bad movie :rolleyes:. I mean all those other ones were just terrible weren't they? So tell me, how is 'double standards' spelt?

The point is that they weren't cast upon being right for the role, they were cast to get butts in seats. And quite the opposite happened. Oh, I forgot, that's because of the 'snowstorm'.

Oh, and ^_^^_^^_^^_^ing COOLIO was cast in the movie. Sure, he was cut, but Jesus! If that doesn't give you serious doubts about whether the casting director was on drugs, I don't know what will.

Oh, and as for a better actor for Elektra? I don't have to. You already did.
Bridget Moynahan as Elektra

Jennifer Garner, although great, was the weak link in the casting. Admittely it is a very, very hard part to cast. I'd go with Bridget Moynahan, a rising actress, because she's got the look, she's attractive, she is a pretty decent actress who can do the role from what I have seen. Not perfect but the best choice for Elektra. I'd also tweak the movie costume but not much.

Not my first choice, I'd probably go with Asia Argento. She has a very exotic look and a little crazyness going on under the hood, as it were.

You also thought Ed Norton would be a better Matt Murdock. Now, I wouldn't say this is exactly 'coming back to bite you in the ass', but I think you didn't like Daredevil as much as you want us to believe.

Yes they were cast to put butts in seats becuase they were such stars despite only two of them having any sort of starpower at all :rolleyes: Just ignore the fact that the whole cast gave great performances faithful to the characters, as pointed out by a lot of critics and people on these boards, and we're set to go. Oh by the way people, nobody should watch Batman Begins since that has a load of stars too :rolleyes:

X Men's cast was far from faithful to the source but since we're going by the pretender's double standards we'll brush that one away.

Garner was the weak link but she was still a very strong bit of casting. Asia Argento would not make a better Elektra at all judging by her previous performances.

I named Ben Affleck and Ed Norton for the role because all though one has proven he can do the role I think the other would do a great job as well and overall Ed Norton is one of my favorite actors of all time. Does this diminish the strength of Ben's preformance? No. Do I think the film is perfect? No. Is Zev plucking at straws? Yes. Does Zev have double standards? Yes. Is Zev really slow for not being able to understand that I can entertain an idea of what I'd like to see in a DD film yet still love the very faithful and well done actual film? Yes.

Yes they were cast to put butts in seats becuase they were such stars despite only two of them having any sort of starpower at all :rolleyes: Just ignore the fact that the whole cast gave great performances faithful to the characters, as pointed out by a lot of critics and people on these boards, and we're set to go. Oh by the way people, nobody should watch Batman Begins since that has a load of stars too :rolleyes:

Oh, let's forget that Jennifer Garner has a top-rated TV show and a lot of fans And Colin Farrell, sure, that didn't bring in any Teen Beat readers. And they did not give good performances. Farrell chewed more scenery then Jack Nicholson, Affleck sleep-walked through the role (and gave the most disaffected voiceover I've heard since Blade Runner), Garner coasted by on her breasts, and MCD just acted big and threatening.

X Men's cast was far from faithful to the source but since we're going by the pretender's double standards we'll brush that one away.

Which is why X-Men is widely reviled by the internet community just like Daredevil. Oh, wait...

Garner was the weak link but she was still a very strong bit of casting. Asia Argento would not make a better Elektra at all judging by her previous performances.

Very strong bit of casting? It didn't go any further then 'kung-fu chick in movie' equals 'get kung-fu chick from TV'. She isn't Greek at all, she wasn't cold or calculating, she didn't act like Elektra. When was Frank Miller's Elektra EVER motivated by revenge? She was motivated by profit and love and sometimes just plan bloodlust.

I named Ben Affleck and Ed Norton for the role because all though one has proven he can do the role I think the other would do a great job as well and overall Ed Norton is one of my favorite actors of all time. Does this diminish the strength of Ben's preformance? No. Do I think the film is perfect? No. Is Zev plucking at straws? Yes. Does Zev have double standards? Yes. Is Zev really slow for not being able to understand that I can entertain an idea of what I'd like to see in a DD film yet still love the very faithful and well done actual film? Yes.

Is Ben Affleck an over-rated pretty boy who catapulted himself to success with a screenplay he didn't even write? Yes. Is Mark Steven Johnson a hack director with no experience that would make him suitable to make a superhero movie except for an over-zealousness for the source material that led him to try to cram years of events into one movie? Yes.

Did Kingpin or Bullseye have any motivation other then they were evil? No. Does killing an elderly lieutenant require the no-doubt-expensive talents of a psychotic assassin from overseas? No. Was Elektra in 'costume' for more then ten minutes? No. Does Daredevil kill people? No. Does Quentin Black grasp any of this? No.

And another thing. Ask anyone what the best element of Daredevil is. The most spot-on casting, the funest part. Chances are they'll say Jon Favreau as Foggy, right? Or Bullseye, because everyone loved Colin Farrell's performance. Hey, maybe even Joe Pantiolone's performance as Ben Urich. No wonder. They're THE ONLY CHARACTERS that havn't been significantly altered.

Matt Murdock has gone from a lawyer who fought for justice outside (but NOT above) the system to a S&M fetishist vigilante.

Elektra has gone from a 'fallen angel', an assassin for hire to a Poor Little Rich Girl who becomes a badass in cliched black leather for ten minutes to avenge her crime lord father's death. Umm, what?

Kingpin has gone from a cultured crime lord hiding his savagery and wanting the best for his family to a street thug with a lot of power.

These are the THREE BIGGEST CHARACTERS in the movie and they've all been changed around.

What is the major complaint about Spider-Man? Another change, the Green Goblin costume. Of course, this has been rectified for the sequel since Doctor Octopus looks and moves exactly likes his comics counterpart. I know, I know, he had a yellow and green jumpsuit in the comics, but like the mechanical webshooters, that's the kind of thing you have to lose for a credible adaptation.

Sony and Sam Raimi did a faithful adaptation of Spider-Man and they're laughing all the way to the bank. Where's the Daredevil crew?

Ben Affleck went on to do Paycheck and Gigli. 'Nuff said.

Mark Steven Johnson is trying to get his hands on Ghost Rider. I'm hoping Marvel's learned their lesson. Since he's only a producer on Elektra, I'm thinking they have.

Jennifer Garner, along with Jon Favreau and Joe Pantiolone, is probably coming out of the whole debacle the best. She has the Elektra spin-off, 13 Going On 30, and Alias.

Michael Clarke Duncan is now mostly doing voice work. His next live-action role is D.E.B.S. IMDB descibres it thusly: 'Plaid-skirted schoolgirls are groomed by a secret government agency to become the newest members of the elite national-defense group, D.E.B.S.' He's sixth-billed. With that and The Scorpion King, he is now competing with Kevin Costner for 'biggest nose-dive after winning an Oscar'. Halle Berry is expected to win for Catwoman.

Colin Farrell went on to take the lead in the universally-panned S.W.A.T. You know, "WAN MEEEEEEEEELION DOLLLARS!"

P.S. Another blast from the past. Here's Quentin's explanation of why Daredevil was waiting outside Ben Urich's offices when the reporter was typing up the story on Daredevil.

Yes why don't I? Keys on they keyboard makes different sounds, test it yourself if you don't believe me. I for instance already know the sound my phone number makes on the keyboard. Some people can figure out the majority of what you type from the sound of the keys so it's not that unbelievable that someone who has superhearing who is blind would learn this trick, especially in a world governed by computers. Especially if he has had just under 20 years to do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"