Worst Performance EVER in a Comic Book Film?

None of the performances in any of the Nolan films is bad. I understand being underwhelmed by them, but Christopher and co. pick performances that are significantly better than average.

Yeah, that has to be the worst cbm death, but overall not a bad performance.

rvNNiPX.gif

Yeah, that has to be the worst cbm death, but overall not a bad performance.
I never got the hate for that death. The way Ben Parker dies in the Amazing Spider-Man is worse. And nothing is worse than the embarrassing death of Nuclear Man from a Quest for Peace.

I never got the hate for that death. The way Ben Parker dies in the Amazing Spider-Man is worse. And nothing is worse than the embarrassing death of Nuclear Man from a Quest for Peace.

Yeah, but QFP is just so bad that the death doesn't seem out of place - it's crap, but so is mostly everything else, including Superman fixing the Great Wall of China by looking at it (although otherwise Christopher Reeve is still awesome as Superman).

In Dark Knight Rises there are a mix of good and meh moments (and one or two great moments), which makes the crappy death of Talia more noticeable, plus Marion Cotillard is a terrific actress so there's no excuse for her to put on such a lame death scene.

I think a "worst cbm death scene" thread is the next logical step (and maybe a "best cbm death scene" ?)

Julian McMahon's Doom is certainly a contender for the worst. I remember being excited when he was cast because he was really good in Nip/Tuck but good Lord did he phone it in. Jessica Alba was equally awful, but she's never been good in anything so it doesn't seem as bad somehow. By McMahon is capable of being a good actor when he gives a damn.

As for the Katie Holmes/Maggie G stuff... I thought each of them were okay as a so-so character that really didn't need to be there. I wish Nolan would have had the foresight to make Talia the female lead in the first film and throughout the series, toeing the line between ally and foe and ultimately betraying Bruce in the third film. Or he could have introduced Selina earlier.

I think part of that is just because she's Katie Holmes and they are expecting a weak performance, more than that she actually gave one. Yes the way her character was written made her a downer

A lot of people hate "Your father would be ashamed of you" including her delivery but it's hard to imagine a delivery that wouldn't get resentment from the viewers. Maggie Gyllenhaal's resentful you're right he's not heroic I think also provoked a lot of viewer resentment and seemed even more unreasonable.

Last edited:
A lot of people hate "Your father would be ashamed of you" including her delivery but it's hard to imagine a delivery that wouldn't get resentment from the viewers. Maggie Gyllenhaal's resentful "You're right, he's not being a hero" I think also provoked a lot of viewer resentment and seemed even more unreasonable.
Yeah I think those kinds of lines are difficult to come off well from as we are going to have an issue with the character regardless of how the line is delivered by the actress. I didn't really like either version of Rachel that much.

Eh. I preferred Maggie's performance. Katie tried, but I felt she played it wrong and made Rachel look condescending moreso than the moral center. The part on exception at the end was written fine, it was the performance that let the character down.
Fair enough. But enough to rate her as worst performance in a CBM?

Fair enough. But enough to rate her as worst performance in a CBM?

I mean honestly I have Dafoe, Uma and maybe someone from the 1990s Captain America movie before her, but Katie was pretty unimpressive enough for me to notice. I understand why other folks are fine with her.

I mean honestly I have Dafoe, Uma and maybe someone from the 1990s Captain America movie before her, but Katie was pretty unimpressive enough for me to notice. I understand why other folks are fine with her.
All good mate, everyone has different opinions. I haven't quite thought about all those really bad CBMs, my mind has done its best to block them out for my mental health :funny:

I know I really, really hate Julian McMahon's Doom so that would be one early contender for me.

Katie Holmes was nominated for a Razzie for her performance in BB.

Dis someone DARED to criticise DAFOE's performance as the GREEN GOBLIN???

:cmad::cmad::cmad:

I think it was good.

Dis someone DARED to criticise DAFOE's performance as the GREEN GOBLIN???

:cmad::cmad::cmad:

I think it was good.

No need to be shy. If you liked it, that's fine. I thought he was pretty cringey and made one of Spider-Man's finest villains hammy as heck but to be fair it was probably due more to Raimi's direction. I understand why a lot of folks liked Dafoe and I especially understand if people as kids grew up on Spider-Man 1.

Worst is a strong word. I would really want to consider this at length, but off-hand the first to come to mind is Dominic West in Punisher: War Zone. Either him or the guy who played his brother Loony Bin Jim. My god, those two were unwatchable. Not even so bad they're charming. Just outright terrible.

Triple H in Blade: Trinity also comes to mind.

Worst is a strong word. I would really want to consider this at length, but off-hand the first to come to mind is Dominic West in Punisher: War Zone. Either him or the guy who played his brother Loony Bin Jim. My god, those two were unwatchable. Not even so bad they're charming. Just outright terrible.

Literally unwatchable. It's the one CBM I haven't watched all the way through.

Literally unwatchable. It's the one CBM I haven't watched all the way through.

I mentally checked out at "Yummy yummy yummy in my tummy tummy tummy!" I was physically still watching it. But my mind was gone :o

I mentally checked out at "Yummy yummy yummy in my tummy tummy tummy!" I was physically still watching it. But my mind was gone :o
I think that would have been the breaking point for many a victim. :csad:

LBJ gave similar performance to the one he gave in the Green Mile, I can't hate his performance because of that.

I laugh at the mirror shattering moment, that is an absurd moment. "Don't worry Billy, you won't have to look at a mirror as long as I'm with you"

Many choices but I could try to pick some that are the worse which are:

Shaq as Henry Irons (Steel) A terrible costume, stale acting, a bit childish and the dumb basketball idea. We know he plays the game why put it in every film of his, even his commercials are terrible.

Arnold as freeze (Batman and Robin) terrible suit, corny puns which freeze has no emotion so not sure why he would be making them anyway. He is a troubled soul, not a comedian.

Justin as Son Goku Dragonball Evolution) looks and acts nothing like Goku, more horny than powerful. Bit of a jerk in film too. Cheesy dialogue or overacting. Not even close to anime material.

T. Lee Jones as Harvey (Batman and Robin) terrible makeup, cheesy jokes, not terrifying at all or threatening that doesn't do much except steal which does nothing for film.

Eisenberg as Lex (Batman v Superman) way over the top but kinda like it some performance, prefer original Luthor in movies. Way too hyper and way to easy Lex did everything in film with no explanation. A bit creepy at times too and not in good way.

All cast in reboot fantastic four (Trank version) Cheesy acting, boring, look nothing like the characters, terrible costumes, hate the plot change and always inside the damn building. This I vote as #1 worse movie ever, even Dragonball Evolution was better than that and I at least enjoyed Catwoman more. I watched this twice a i fell asleep twice halfway into movie and still never cared to see all the way. Thing had no pants and the science fair was stupid, kid actors are totally not believable. Doom suit look like someone burnt in a microwave accident.

I don't know if this counts as a performance, but I found Bane's voice in TDKR to be downright comical and couldn't take him seriously.

I actually chuckled at his 'Of course!' exclaimation during the plane crash.

I don't know if this counts as a performance, but I found Bane's voice in TDKR to be downright comical and couldn't take him seriously.

I actually chuckled at his 'Of course!' exclaimation during the plane crash.

Yeah, I found Bane's voice frustrating mostly because of the mumbling - sad because the physical performance was good.

Between the accent, which was Hardy's acting choice, and the muffled sound, which astonishingly must have been Nolan's choice, the voice was terrible.

Star Wars and V for Vendetta have clearly shown thay audiences will accept a masked character with a clear voice.

That speech at the prison does come across as unintentionally hillarious, due to Hardy's intonation. When he cripples Batman he's actually quite menacing - but at the prison, as his voice gets higher it just sounds ridiculous.

Reactions: CJ
Malin Akerman in Watchmen

Katie Holmes in Batman Begins

Thomas Haden Church in Spider-Man 3

Jessie Eisenberg in Batman v Superman

I love Bane's voice. It's menacing and strangely satisfying at the same time

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"