Worst Performance EVER in a Comic Book Film?

No wonder Lenny looks like Matthew Broderick.

Who was the dude in the Spirit? I don't even remember his name that's how bad it was.

Who was the dude in the Spirit? I don't even remember his name that's how bad it was.

Gabriel Macht was the lead in that awful film, although in terms of terrible performances it would be very difficult to point to a good one in that film. I think the Spirit is a strong contender for worst cbm ever made - it really gives Catwoman a run for her money.

I agree about the Spirit - it's Catwoman level, and probably the worst film SLJ has done. Will Eisner would rotate in his grave. Too bad, it would be cool to see a decent adaptation of the classic comics.

Nick Nolte in Hulk was just really strange and weird. Bizarre performance in a bizarre film.

Most of the performances in the Spirit were horrible. Craptacular level

Sharon Stone in Catwoman

Many of Ioan Gruffudd’s attempts at comedy in the FF films made me sigh and sad. Those were horrible. I vaguely remember one horrible scene where he attempts comedy by saying Sue look at your hands! That was downright pathetic

Tobey Maguire as the darker Spidey in SM3. Absolutely poor. Terrible

Nick Nolte in Hulk was just really strange and weird. Bizarre performance in a bizarre film.

Most of the performances in the Spirit were horrible. Craptacular level

Sharon Stone in Catwoman

Many of Ioan Gruffudd’s attempts at comedy in the FF films made me sigh and sad. Those were horrible. I vaguely remember one horrible scene where he attempts comedy by saying Sue look at your hands! That was downright pathetic

Tobey Maguire as the darker Spidey in SM3. Absolutely poor. Terrible

Dude, I have to disagree with some of that.

Both Nolte as a mad scientist and Tobey's evil disco Spider man were hilarious ( maybe unintentionally) so much so that I enjoyed them - they were just so ridiculous.

I still don't get all the hate for the FF films. They managed to get more right than wrong ( except Dr Doom, now that was awful !) They're not on the same level as a decent MCU film, but hey it was 2005 and 2007.

The Spirit...yeah thats an irredeemable turd !

When people say emo Peter in SM-3 was cringey and laughable, that was the intention. You just have to look at the reactions to people around him when he's jigging down the street. They look at him like he's an idiot.

When people say emo Peter in SM-3 was cringey and laughable, that was the intention. You just have to look at the reactions to people around him when he's jigging down the street. They look at him like he's an idiot.
I love how the last two quickly moved away from that crazy weirdo dancing in front of the shop.

As Jokes is saying, its completely intentional, it's how a geek or a nerd would envisage what being 'dark' is, it's supposed to show how the difference between Peter & Eddie are if it where the flip of a coin of the same character shown if how circumstances were different.

Tobey's performance in SM3 was still his weakest of the 3 films. Definitely seemed like he phoned it in to a certain extent.

The park conversation make me think otherwise.

Peter being such a cringeworthy dork in SM3 is one of the few times the "well you're supposed to think _______" excuse actually has merit in my eyes. It's used as a meme to slam the movie but all the jokes at it's expense are deliberate, even if I ultimately don't think it worked.

Even if deliberate it was out-of-place, there shouldn't be goofy comic relief just after Peter tried to kill Harry.

Even if deliberate it was out-of-place, there shouldn't be goofy comic relief just after Peter tried to kill Harry.
That was after he got Eddie Brock fired, actually.

I love how the last two quickly moved away from that crazy weirdo dancing in front of the shop.

Actually "Evil Disco Spider Man" was my favourite part of SM 3. It was hilarious and I remember almost falling out of my seat.

Not a great film, but not a bad one either, just a bit overloaded. I did enjoy the Pete v Harry fight, I thought the actors sold it well - and the resolution of the love triangle/ redemption arc - Harry's self sacrifice, was a good way to wrap things up. Sadly the last scene in film is so underwhleming that it leaves you feeling flat.

Evil Disco Spider-Man was awful (even though it was intentional) but honestly, I hated that movie as a whole so much that at least Emo Peter became a funny meme. I guess that redeems it a little? I don't know.

Anyway, yeah... Gabriel "I'M GONNA KILL YOU ALL KINDSA DEAD" Macht as The Spirit and Samuel L. Jackson's Octopus were two of the worst performances in any CBM. Maybe THE worst. The movie certainly was. I think it may have been worse than Catwoman, Steel, The Phantom and various other superhero turd films that came out in the 1990s and early 2000s. The story wasn't even coherent. It was like watching an acid trip that was somehow really boring.

Evil Disco Spider-Man was awful (even though it was intentional) but honestly, I hated that movie as a whole so much that at least Emo Peter became a funny meme. I guess that redeems it a little? I don't know.

Anyway, yeah... Gabriel "I'M GONNA KILL YOU ALL KINDSA DEAD" Macht as The Spirit and Samuel L. Jackson's Octopus were two of the worst performances in any CBM. Maybe THE worst. The movie certainly was. I think it may have been worse than Catwoman, Steel, The Phantom and various other superhero turd films that came out in the 1990s and early 2000s. The story wasn't even coherent. It was like watching an acid trip that was somehow really boring.

Really ? Evil Disco Spider Man was just so ridiculous, didn't you at least find it funny ? I remember watching the film and thinking "yawn" and then that bit came on and was just so terrible that it was really funny, real LMFAO ! The Harry v Peter smackdown was one of the best bits of acting I thought - I mean Emo Pete aside ( and Emo Pete was dreadful) they really sold it as 2 friends whose friendship had become twisted beyond rivalry into hatred.

I liked that the way they defeat Venom was a shout out to the comics. Otherwise SM3 was a real missed opportunity.

Sorry, I'm just always surprised when people don't get a good laugh out of Evil Disco Spider Man. I could use a laugh - think I'll go watch it now on Youtube.

Hey, back to worst performances.....not the absolute worst but have we talked much about Thomas Haden Church in SM3 He's about as engaging as a block of wood.

Last edited:
So Many choices.

Tommy Lee Jones as Two-Face, the villains in Batman & Robin, Jesse Eisenberg as Lex Luthor....

So Many choices.

Tommy Lee Jones as Two-Face, the villains in Batman & Robin, Jesse Eisenberg as Lex Luthor....
tumblr_n47t4oEeDs1rrkahjo5_400.gif

Sorry, I'm just always surprised when people don't get a good laugh out of Evil Disco Spider Man. I could use a laugh - think I'll go watch it now on Youtube.

If you think that's funny, check out the version with 'realistic audio' I'd embed it here, but there's a quick swear at the end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"