Iron Fist Would anyone have a problem with Iron Fist being played by an Asian actor?

If it is accessed from earth by China, then the likelihood is that a lot of the inhabitants are Chinese.

Yeah, but from what period in Chinese history? That would be a major influence. Ming Dynasty? Xing Dynasty?(Yeah, I'm being racist making up stuff.lol)

A person who built a church from 1860 California would have a different view from 1970 Californian leader.

I get why it's vague in the comics cause you have 50 years of numerous writers. This series just relied on vague, well, it's monks.

How does that explain Danny being trusting and naive? Are those traits not seen in Chinese history?

A scary thought, but it would definatly explain the last election

LOL.

Alright. To make some of you happy. Why don't we remake Brigadoon with an asian lead? ;)

Last edited:
Yeah, but from what period in Chinese history? That would be a major influence. Ming Dynasty? Xing Dynasty?(Yeah, I'm being racist making up stuff.lol)

A person who built a church from 1860 California would have a different view from 1970 Californian leader.

I get why it's vague in the comics cause you have 50 years of numerous writers. This series just relied on vague, well, it's monks.

How does that explain Danny being trusting and naive? Are those traits not seen in Chinese history?

LOL.

well if you just admitted to being racist I guess this post is not meant to be taken seriously?

Batman and Iron Fist were both young when they were traumatized and what they became is a product of said trauma. How is hard to understand that Batman is a product of fear and Iron Fist is a product of martial arts?

I don't disagree...which is why I brought up Black Panther, Wolverine, Daredevil and Deathstroke.
You seem to keep changing the argument.

well if you just admitted to being racist I guess this post is not meant to be taken seriously?

I just made up two dynasties by putting some Chinese names up there. I could have Googled it but I'm lazy.

We can continue the discussion on the actual merits of my point minus any jokes if you'd like though.

I just made up two dynasties by putting some Chinese names up there. I could have Googled it but I'm lazy.

We can continue the discussion on the actual merits of my point minus any jokes if you'd like though.
sure.

in short, Loras Tyrell wasn't a bad actor. It wasn't his fault that the show was bad per se, but if they did go with an Asian actor, they would have finally had a main character superhero in the MCU and would have avoided the white savior trope.

but it is what it is. this show received many criticisms, but the reality is Ser Loras in Danny Rand from here on out. It's disappointing but I gotta deal with it.

sure.

in short, Loras Tyrell wasn't a bad actor. It wasn't his fault that the show was bad per se, but if they did go with an Asian actor, they would have finally had a main character superhero in the MCU and would have avoided the white savior trope.

but it is what it is. this show received many criticisms, but the reality is Ser Loras in Danny Rand from here on out. It's disappointing but I gotta deal with it.

The larger point is there's an opposite of the white savior trope, it's the Asian stereotype trope.

For a series that is riddled with bad writing. I'm not sure they would avoid those either.

With Hollywood writers, a black character being a stereotypical maid or comedic best friend is remedied by making them the magical negro trope cause they get more lines. Or a strong female character is someone who isn't saved by a man in the end even if she only get 5 lines in the whole movie and wears a skintight outfit.

This tropes are hard to write away from cause we're so conditioned to seeing them and are good for short-hand lazy characterization. Like Asian monks aren't fully fleshed out people who discuss the human condition, martial arts as spiritualism, and philosophy probably would teach a ten year-old the difference between being skeptical and naivety. Instead just how to punch I guess.

The larger point is there's an opposite of the white savior trope, it's the Asian stereotype trope.

For a series that is riddled with bad writing. I'm not sure they would avoid those either.

With Hollywood writers, a black character being a stereotypical maid or comedic best friend is remedied by making them the magical negro trope cause they get more lines. Or a strong female character is someone who isn't saved by a man in the end even if she only get 5 lines in the whole movie and wears a skintight outfit.

This tropes are hard to write away from cause we're so conditioned to seeing them and are good for short-hand lazy characterization. Like Asian monks aren't fully fleshed out people who discuss the human condition, martial arts as spiritualism, and philosophy probably would teach a ten year-old the difference between being skeptical and naivety. Instead just how to punch I guess.

I thought I already addressed the Asian stereotype trope earlier in the thread when I said that there are plenty of other Asian characters on show who perform martial arts, so are we supposed to say ALL of the characters are stereotyped?

Having the main character be Asian and a martial artist is still having a main character that is Asian in a day and age where such a thing is very scarce, let a lone in a superhero show. It would only have been a stereotype if the character was bland and not developed, and if the show was done right, they would have given him character and not left him as bait and have it come off as stereotype

edit: I did already address this here

I thought I already addressed the Asian stereotype trope earlier in the thread when I said that there are plenty of other Asian characters on show who perform martial arts, so are we supposed to say ALL of the characters are stereotyped?

Having the main character be Asian and a martial artist is still having a main character that is Asian in a day and age where such a thing is very scarce, let a lone in a superhero show. It would only have been a stereotype if the character was bland and not developed, and if the show was done right, they would have given him character and not left him as bait and have it come off as stereotype

edit: I did already address this here

I don't even care about the martial arts. Danny could become a world-class martial artist spending fifteen years in a cave in California for all I care.

Chinese, Japanese, Filipino, Tibetan, Korean, Buddism, Taoism, sensei, monks, karate, ninjutsu, bushido, samurai, grand master, suseung-nim. Look at how they are culturally mixed and matched with no sensitivity to the fact their cultures vary widely. You said it could be a story of a Asian-American man getting back in touch with his roots. You need more than broad stroke general ideas about Asian culture or Asian-Americans reconnecting with his roots to make that effective.

Look at how messy people are about Buddhism and Hinduism and the belief in reincarnation. Two wildly different culture and still it's just lumped together.

I'm not sure Danny Rand/The Iron Fist is the hill to die on for such an argument.

So then why can't this be done with an Asian American? I can guarantee that if I were to take a trip to Shaolin right now I'd have a bad case of culture clash.

Because that's not the character of Iron Fist. I really don't understand criticizing Marvel for sticking to their source material. They clearly wanted the character to resemble the printed page. Changing for the sake of it being the martial arts is just as bad as making drug dealers black.

As an Asian American, I OFTEN feel this way. Too Asian for white people, not Asian enough for Asians.

I appreciate the POV. It's very insightful.

I disagree. If done properly it can actually enhance the story. In the show (haven't read the comics) he walks into the Rand building and people think he's just a bum. However, if they were to have the Rand parents adopt a kid from Nepal or Tibet (which would give them more reasons to visit the Himalayas) then it would give more credit as to why people who weren't close to Danny would automatically think he's crazy for claiming to be their son. This would also speak towards people who were adopted and/or orphans.

This is basically stretching it just to make a character a different race. It was bad when the Fantastic Four does it and it would be just as bad then. Like I've repeated before, this is a character that has been around 70 years, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Why do you consider this issue illogical? I must admit that when the issue was first brought up when they were still casting Danny, I was very much in the gray area because I understand both sides of the argument...but I never thought it was illogical. We have yet to see a live action Asian superhero done well and this was a chance to remedy that, even if it meant switching up the source material. Totally understandable in my eyes.

It's illogical because we as comic book fans have been b***hin' for years to studios to "stick to the source material" and that's what Marvel has been doing. I'm a black man that has been DYING for black super heroes for DECADES. Personally, I would rather have the characters that exist that are black then changing the race of a character just to appease the masses. Marvel has asian comic book characters and I hope they finally get the chance to put them on screen, there's no need to change those that exist. (As you can tell, I'm a bit of a purist).

I'm not sure if you read previous posts but I explained why the comparison is a jump in logic. Batman is The Dark Knight, The Caped Crusader, The World's Greatest Detective. The idea of Batman isn't centered around the idea that he's a martial artist, but the idea of Iron Fist does.

I kinda disagree on this because Batman ALSO, at his core, is generally considered the best fighter in the DCU. How many stories of his have been based on martial arts and Asian culture. The whole movie of Batman Begins is essentially the same premise as Iron Fist, but no one's screaming for Bruce Wayne to be cast by an Asian guy just because he trained in Asia.

...hehe, but I digress. Anyway...again, same logic. Dr. Strange isn't centered around the idea that he's a martial arts prodigy. He's centered around the idea that he's a MYSTICAL prodigy.

Mystical forces based in Asian concepts, right?

Yay! We agree on something. Hi5!!! :D

Had to happen eventually :D

Was there a need to cast the Ancient One, a character who was originally born in Nepal, as a Caucasian? But I guess that's okay, right?

I disagreed with this casting as well. I thought they should have cast at least an Asian woman.

I totally understand the desire to stick to source material. I wouldn't want to see a White T'challa or a Black Tony Stark. And in fact, when I first heard about people petitioning for them to cast Iron Fist as an Asian I was actually pretty resistant for the sole reason that I value the source material. But I also realize that representation matters, which is why Marvel comics (and to a lesser extent, the movies) have been attempting to remedy that issue with introducing more heroes that aren't white males.

As they should be and they have plenty of characters to choose from to create a diverse roster, so there's no need to change ones "just because"

And to be perfectly honest, I really don't care for them lending existing heroes to minorities. That's not the best way to appeal to us. Taking an already existing idea and putting a woman, Black, or Asian in it's place feels a little like pandering and a bit lazy. I understand, that it's easier to take an already existing popular hero and injecting variety to it but that doesn't really solve the problem. I, honestly, value original characters who happen to be minorities over taking Superman and creating a Chinese version (with an "S" on his chest none-the-less). That's why I think that Marvel's Korean superhero, White Fox, is a great idea! She's an original character who isn't derived from Iron Man, Thor, or the Hulk.

We totally agree on this.

HOWEVER, if you have a character...like Iron Fist...who eats, sleeps, and breaths Asian culture....and there's a demand for diversity in the MCU (the Defenders will have 2 white dudes who know martial arts).....then I'm willing to put aside my desire for them to stick to source material in order for racial progress, especially when you consider the current political climate.

This literally contradicts the previous paragraph. Racial progress can be had without forcing a change in the source material. You're right, the Defenders will have 2 white dudes who know martial arts, as well as an Asian woman who knows martial arts.

By the way, why not make Daredevil asian. His character has been STEEPED in Asian culture for decades now. It's a slippery slope...

I genuinely hope that helps you, and possibly others, understand why some people would've liked to have seen Danny cast as Asian.

I get the why, I just don't agree with the logic. I agree that comic book movies are dying for more diversity...just not at the sake of the source material. My hope is Marvel and DC mine the characters they already have, making them cool, instead of forcing it to appease the masses.

I don't even care about the martial arts.
I do. Both Daredevil and Iron Fist are martial artists, but Iron Fist's show clearly put more emphasis on the fighting style in having that be important to the storyline so the fact that the actor wasn't very good at it was a hindrance.
Danny could become a world-class martial artist spending fifteen years in a cave in California for all I care.
Isn't his training in K'un Lun vital to his origin? Why would you not care about that if you're an iron fist fan?

Chinese, Japanese, Filipino, Tibetan, Korean, Buddism, Taoism, sensei, monks, karate, ninjutsu, bushido, samurai, grand master, suseung-nim. Look at how they are culturally mixed and matched with no sensitivity to the fact their cultures vary widely. You said it could be a story of a Asian-American man getting back in touch with his roots. You need more than broad stroke general ideas about Asian culture or Asian-Americans reconnecting with his roots to make that effective.
Not necessarily. The actor could have been of any Asian origin and had a good sense of martial arts to get the job done. I'd say kung fu would be the most relevant.

Look at how messy people are about Buddhism and Hinduism and the belief in reincarnation. Two wildly different culture and still it's just lumped together.

I'm not sure Danny Rand/The Iron Fist is the hill to die on for such an argument.
and conforming to ignorance is the right way to go about it?

I do. Both Daredevil and Iron Fist are martial artists, but Iron Fist's show clearly put more emphasis on the fighting style in having that be important to the storyline so the fact that the actor wasn't very good at it was a hindrance.Isn't his training in K'un Lun vital to his origin? Why would you not care about that if you're an iron fist fan?

A) A white, latino, or black actor can do action stunts. That's not a reason to get an Asian actor. Finn just sucks.

B)I'm just saying if they were going to make changes to Iron Fist you can have him simply becoming good at martial arts in California then beating the dragon in K'un-Lun to become Iron Fist. Nothing about how he becomes a good fighter requires it be an Asian person.

Not necessarily. The actor could have been of any Asian origin and had a good sense of martial arts to get the job done. I'd say kung fu would be the most relevant.

No not, any Asian origin. If you make Danny Rand Asian, you have to make a choice about his background to understand him connecting to his "roots." There are many Americans but a born-bred New Yorker is different from a good ole' Alabama boy or a Mid-Western "Clark Kent" upbringing.

Kung-fu is a Chinese Martial arts. The Asian Danny Rand would know the difference. He wouldn't be a studier of TaeKwonDo with Chinese "roots" without some major explaining.

and conforming to ignorance is the right way to go about it?

I'm not sure what you mean. It's not about conforming, it's about acknowledging that Hollywood is bad at writing Asians and minorities.

Iron Fist has the excuse of the 1970s. Gods of Egypt was two years ago. The Great Wall was two months ago.

Marco Polo cost 90 million to make with the head writer voyaging around Mongol China to write it.

A) A white, latino, or black actor can do action stunts. That's not a reason to get an Asian actor. Finn just sucks.

B)I'm just saying if they were going to make changes to Iron Fist you can have him simply becoming good at martial arts in California then beating the dragon in K'un-Lun to become Iron Fist. Nothing about how he becomes a good fighter requires it be an Asian person.
From the OP to 20 pages in it's been stated that an Asian character as the lead would have been the best option for a racebend as it would have been a character reconnecting to his roots. I'm pretty sure the OP literally says that. Iron Fist's origins in the comics were largely influenced from martial arts films, most or all of which starred Asians like Bruce Lee. A white character of European descent, or a Latino character or black character of African descent wouldn't be making that reconnection to their heritage returning to that Asian territory that leads to K'un Lun.

No not, any Asian origin. If you make Danny Rand Asian, you have to make a choice about his background to understand him connecting to his "roots." There are many Americans but a born-bred New Yorker is different from a good ole' Alabama boy or a Mid-Western "Clark Kent" upbringing.
I was talking about the actor, he could have been of any Asian background.
Kung-fu is a Chinese Martial arts. The Asian Danny Rand would know the difference. He wouldn't be a studier of TaeKwonDo with Chinese "roots" without some major explaining.
wasn't Danny's martial arts performance on show based on kung fu?

I'm not sure what you mean. It's not about conforming, it's about acknowledging that Hollywood is bad at writing Asians and minorities.

Iron Fist has the excuse of the 1970s. Gods of Egypt was two years ago. The Great Wall was two months ago.

Marco Polo cost 90 million to make with the head writer voyaging around Mongol China to write it.
acknowledging it and then doing what about it? nothing by casting a white lead? that's what I mean. by making him Asian, you have now added a Asian to the roster of MCU main characters and superheroes.

Because that's not the character of Iron Fist. I really don't understand criticizing Marvel for sticking to their source material.
It's because movies and shows aren't the same as comics, and things that worked in the 60s and 70s don't necessarily work anymore. Captain America punching Nazi's in the face isn't as relevant now as it is in the 40s and stories about white male prodigies through other people's cultures is now controversial...hence all the backlash with Dr. Strange and Iron Fist.

Changing for the sake of it being the martial arts is just as bad as making drug dealers black.
What's wrong with that? Just playin!!! But foreal, that's not really the same thing. Casting an Asian as a martial artist strengthens and reinforces Asian culture and provides a sense of authenticity or verisimilitude. Yes, it's stereotypical but it's a positive image that many Asians can be proud of. But casting Blacks as drug dealers damages Black culture and reinforces negative stereotypes that the majority of Blacks don't want to be affiliated with. That's the main difference.

I appreciate the POV. It's very insightful.
Love it!

This is basically stretching it just to make a character a different race. It was bad when the Fantastic Four does it and it would be just as bad then.
Well that was just an example of how you could expand on changing Danny's race. A lot of those same points still apply even if he wasn't adopted.

Like I've repeated before, this is a character that has been around 70 years, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
But it IS broken, otherwise it wouldn't be such a controversy. Wolverine studied Japanese martial arts but no one is calling for him to be cast as Asian. That's because his story, skills, and powers don't center around Japanese martial arts. They center around his animalistic nature. His story hasn't deteriorated as the times change (kinda like Logan himself, huzzah!) so no one has a desire to change anything about him. But people of all sorts of shapes and sizes would like to have seen an Asian Iron Fist...so even if his story might not be considered broken by some, it could certainly use some updating.

It's illogical because we as comic book fans have been b***hin' for years to studios to "stick to the source material" and that's what Marvel has been doing. I'm a black man that has been DYING for black super heroes for DECADES. Personally, I would rather have the characters that exist that are black then changing the race of a character just to appease the masses. Marvel has asian comic book characters and I hope they finally get the chance to put them on screen, there's no need to change those that exist. (As you can tell, I'm a bit of a purist).
You are?! My mind is blown :p I kid....and I pretty much agree with you on this point.

The whole movie of Batman Begins is essentially the same premise as Iron Fist, but no one's screaming for Bruce Wayne to be cast by an Asian guy just because he trained in Asia.
I'm not sure how many times I have to reiterate that Batman's story is not Asian-centric. Yes, a chapter of his life was spent in Asia learning martial arts but that's not the biggest influence on his life. Same as Wolverine. A chapter of his life is spent in Japan but that's not what drives him. These two ALSO learned martial arts from other parts of the world but to my knowledge (someone correct me if I'm wrong) Iron Fist has trained exclusively in Asian-based martial arts. But even if it turns out he's dabbled in other disciplines, his upbringing is based in Asian culture. You can't say the same for Batman. His alias is “Batman”, not “Crouching Emo, Hidden Bat”.

The whole movie of Batman Begins is essentially the same premise as Iron Fist
Batman Begins is about a young man (not a boy) who travels the world in order to understand and find himself with the hopes of finding a way to reverse the corruption that brought about his childhood trauma. Iron Fist is about a young BOY who, as a result of his parents' death and through no fault of his own, lands in an Asian-based mythic city and spends his developing years adopting not only their fighting system, but their culture as well.

If they were to change Batman Begin's script so that he learned a Middle Eastern martial art or Brazilian Jiu Jitsu then it wouldn't really change the essence of Bruce's character, but it most certainly would change Iron Fists' essence and even his NAME if they tried the same thing with him.

Mystical forces based in Asian concepts, right?
Again, you could land Dr. Strange in any place in the world without changing the essence of his character.

I disagreed with this casting as well. I thought they should have cast at least an Asian woman.
Ah, common ground! I would've loved to have seen Michelle Yeoh as the Ancient One!

As they should be and they have plenty of characters to choose from to create a diverse roster, so there's no need to change ones "just because"
Examples of changing a character's race “just because” would be changing Logan into an Indian or changing Scott Summers to Black. There would be absolutely no logic or reasoning behind those changes. We've discussed, thoroughly, why people would like to have seen an Asian Iron Fist and to an extent you understand why. Obviously it's not “just because”.

We totally agree on this.
More common ground! Hope we can find more. Let's bridge this gap.

This literally contradicts the previous paragraph.
I realize that...but I also realize that there's room for minor compromises if it means major progress.

You're right, the Defenders will have 2 white dudes who know martial arts, as well as an Asian woman who knows martial arts.
True, but she's not one of the lead characters in that show.

By the way, why not make Daredevil asian. His character has been STEEPED in Asian culture for decades now. It's a slippery slope...
We're going in circles with this argument. I'll have to refer to my previous points about how the essence of the character wouldn't be compromised if you changed the discipline from which he learns his fighting techniques. Daredevil's essence is justice through adaptation and perseverance.....and guilt through Catholicism, lol!

I get the why, I just don't agree with the logic. I agree that comic book movies are dying for more diversity...just not at the sake of the source material.
If you get the 'why' then we're making progress even if we don't agree on the logic. I guess we'll just have to disagree slightly on how close to the source material these adaptations need to be.

BTW, thanks for keeping this civil! You've got my respect.

Last edited:
after having watched the show, I really do feel like the show would have benefited from having an Asian lead, or maybe even someone mixed with Asian heritage. In this day and age it would have been better than casting a white Danny Rand.

the whole "white savior" trope is there. while he isn't literally saving everybody he sees, he stumbles upon a foreign culture and bests everybody there. and he's white. before anyone goes to say it would have been stereotyping to have an Asian lead with martial art skills, well...there were plenty of other Asian characters with martial art skills, so are we to presume the rest of the supporting cast were stereotypes?

Instead of having a foreign person discover a culture, why not have an Asian American stumble upon a culture he was part of, and reconnect with it?

Lastly, a more practical argument would have been the martial arts; Lewis Tan auditioned for the role and he has martial art experience. Loras Tyrell doesn't and a common complaint of the show was the action scenes; why did they pick him over Tan?

I think they kind of dropped the ball in regards to why he wanted to be Iron Fist in the show as opposed to the comics.

In the comics Danny trains and pushes himself harder than anyone else because he wants to be powerful enough to avenge his parents murder. In the show becoming Iron Fist is just something he chooses because the position is a available and learning martial arts is something he does because it seems like that is what everyone does in K'un Lun

I think they kind of dropped the ball in regards to why he wanted to be Iron Fist in the show as opposed to the comics.

In the comics Danny trains and pushes himself harder than anyone else because he wants to be powerful enough to avenge his parents murder. In the show becoming Iron Fist is just something he chooses because the position is a available and learning martial arts is something he does because it seems like that is what everyone does in K'un Lun
Danny said in the show, that he thought becoming Iron Fist will heal him from the emptiness he feel since his parents died but it didn't.

The predominate issue is the underlining sentiment behind these arguments. Most of those arguing against this character in the media have a problem with cultural engagement when the one doing the sampling or adoption is Caucasian. The arguments against such have preached (almost to a cult like sentiment) in academia and social media all across the west for the last few decades or so. Reaching a fever pitch level over the last couple of years.

One doesn't have to look very deep to find multiple examples of this.

When IF was created, it was a vessel to reach out to the wider office which at the time was overwhelmingly Caucasian. Danny's character was a means for this audience to experience foreign elements by way of his story. What I found interesting in Danny's journey is that he starts out as a "native", is brought to foreign land where he absorbs the foreign culture, and then proceeds to go through an immigrants journey in returning to his homeland.

For me, this resonates due to my own personal experiences.

It could be argued that there is a pattern that fixates on the idea that Caucasians who engage in personal enrichment by exploring a different culture for whatever area of study, are not seen as individuals, but rather collectively as representatives of a larger group attempting to "appropriate" said culture as means of achieving or maintaining a level of superiority.

If Danny's character had been cast as anything other than Caucasian or even Asian-American, there would not have been these charges of the nonsense of "cultural appropriation" that has been thrown around in these reviews. Instead, that would have been celebrated as a form of cultural exchange, but there is double standard being employed. Hence the racism charge, and honestly that can't nor shouldn't be ignored.

I've drawn a very specific line between what could be considered appropriation and what could be considered normal participation. You have ignored it, the very core of my short argument in order, not just to suggest that all participation is the same, but even to suggest that I have communicated such a thing, and wrap it up with charging that NOT thinking White people should be superior is racism. It sounds like you feel your thoughts cannot be ignored while others can, which makes you incapable of effective communication.

I'm happy for you if the Mighty Whitey trope speaks to you, and hope it's unrelated to your willingness to ignore others and demand attention, but, as I illustrated, it was not to help White people in the 50s explore a foreign culture, it was so they could only explore part of a culture. Oddly, the native foreigner bit works just as well, I'd argue even more powerfully with an Asian American.

My God, reading this thread I can only hope that Shang Chi gets made at some point.

The curremt climate of cultural insecurity is pretty depressing.

it's depressing that they had an open window at having an Asian superhero and decided to stick to the 70s roots
Why Iron Fist, why not Inhuman or Cloak and Dagger or Legion?

They had the same window for casting Black Bolt as an asian or Medusa in the new show Inhuman.
Or casting Dagger as an asian in the new show Cloak and Dagger.
They could have cast also David as an asian in Legion if it isn't related to the movies.

And it would have been better for diversity since none of them is doing Kung fu.

Why Iron Fist, why not Inhuman or Cloak and Dagger or Legion?

They had the same window for casting Black Bolt as an asian or Medusa in the new show Inhuman.
Or casting Dagger as an asian in the new show Cloak and Dagger.
They could have cast also David as an asian in Legion if it isn't related to the movies.

And it would have been better for diversity since none of them is doing Kung fu.
it's been explained in the thread why iron fist

it's been explained in the thread why iron fist

With all due respect, the only real reasons people seem to want Iron Fist to be Asian is because he knows Martial Arts and in the name of diversity.

Diversity is great, but it should never be done in the spirit of "just because".

Marvel has plenty of Asian characters to adapt. No need to shoe horn in one.

With all due respect, the only real reasons people seem to want Iron Fist to be Asian is because he knows Martial Arts and in the name of diversity.

Diversity is great, but it should never be done in the spirit of "just because".

Marvel has plenty of Asian characters to adapt. No need to shoe horn in one.
I would bother to explain further but I don't have time now, I'll try to come back to the thread later

As for Marvel having plenty of Asian characters to adapt, they also adapted plenty of black characters but also took the liberty of changing the races of others anyway, "just because" like when they made Heimdall black

I would bother to explain further but I don't have time now, I'll try to come back to the thread later

As for Marvel having plenty of Asian characters to adapt, they also adapted plenty of black characters but also took the liberty of changing the races of others anyway, "just because" like when they made Heimdall black

It's funny that everyone uses the "Heimdall's black" example when talking about change.

Danny Rand has ALWAYS been presented as blond haired, blue eyed "usurper" of the Iron Fist mantle. His story is meant to be one where he is always an outsider. Externally, he was an outsider in K'un L'un and, internally, he's an outsider in regular society.

Like I've said already, I get the want and need for diversity, but only when it makes sense and doesn't branch to far away from the source material. Heimdall and Ben Urich being black changes nothing about their characters. Making Danny Asian changes everything. It not only affects his personal story, but his relationships to Luke Cage and Misty Knight.

I want diversity too, which is why I'm glad to see an Collen Wing and am hopeful we'll get Shang Chi, but Marvel is sticking to the source material on this and i'm glad they did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"