Iron Fist Would anyone have a problem with Iron Fist being played by an Asian actor?

The point is you are belittling a character because he's "half-white." Regardless of it being editorial policy or not, it's like claiming Obama isn't really black because he has a white mother.

Well he isn't, he's mixed.

The point is you are belittling a character because he's "half-white." Regardless of it being editorial policy or not, it's like claiming Obama isn't really black because he has a white mother.

No, I'm belittling Marvel's belief that comic fans can only be interested in an Asian character or Asian-themed character if he/she has some white roots. Even if those roots contribute nothing meaningful to the character.

Shang Chi's white mother, Mantis' white father and Danny Rand's whiteness did nothing to shape who they ultimately became, but Marvel had to force fit that concept.

Not really. Marvel recast Bruce Banner, James Rhodes..
They aren't recasting. You should probably find entertainment elsewhere. As you said 'nothing could save this show.'

I don't see the point in recasting just yet. While Jones wasn't great, the big problems with the show was how sloopy the writing was. I'm willing to see what he does with better material.

Not really. Marvel recast Bruce Banner, James Rhodes..

They recast Banner because they only agreed to Norton in the first place because Universal wanted him, they recast Rhodes because the original actor cost stupid amounts of money. They're not going to recast Iron Fist just because a tiny minority of fans complain.

Last edited:
I don't think they've ever recast simple for "the original actor didn't do a good job". Its always either been "the original actor insisted on way too much money/control" or "the original actor wasn't available".

I don't think they've ever recast simple for "the original actor didn't do a good job". Its always either been "the original actor insisted on way too much money/control" or "the original actor wasn't available".

But is there a better reason than his not doing a good job? Although the showrunner seems to be most to blame on this.

No, I'm belittling Marvel's belief that comic fans can only be interested in an Asian character or Asian-themed character if he/she has some white roots. Even if those roots contribute nothing meaningful to the character.

Shang Chi's white mother, Mantis' white father and Danny Rand's whiteness did nothing to shape who they ultimately became, but Marvel had to force fit that concept.
Shang Chi mother is euro-asian asian like his father.He has both bi-racial east asian parents.

It is because right now there isn't any main character superheroes in the MCU that's Asian.

Well mantis is a main character in gotg 2 i heard.The actor playing drax is asian but is really playing an alien.Of course someone could be or play a asian looking alien like hogun.Of course the drax thing is different then hogun thing.
Like actresses playing gamora and Valkyrie.
Quake and agent may are co-leads but these are team shows,not solo shows.Upcoming mcu shows will have other asian main characters like inhumans and runaways,but those are team shows too.
Of course all are co-leads,not main main leads who have there own solo film or show.

Last edited:
Nico/Sister Grimm (apparently part Asian, though that is never a big part of her backstory),
I did not see this.Nico from the bio i just read is all east asian,not part asian.
Nico father and mother are both east asians.
Robert Minoru
Before their wedding day, Robert and his fiancee Tina, discovered a passion for the dark arts. Together they had dabbled with black magic spells, but rarely tried anything of notable strength or power. Both of Japanese descent, they appear to like everything to be neat and tidy and hate being late or challenged. Aside from the occasional attempts to learn black magic, they both appear to have been Catholics who lived relatively normal lives up until the day of the wedding.

Danny is canonically mixed race. He should be mixed race in the miniseries.
Danny has some east asian admixture,so he is mixed, but he is not mixed raced/or bi-racial asian or white.He looks white and still is white.

Last edited:
However, I think Marvel has made attempts to include Asian actors in their movies and TV shows and that the outrage is unwarranted. Some Asian characters are, Hogan played by Tadanobu Amano, Jim Morita played by Kenneth Choi, Trevor Slattery played by Ben Kingsley, Dr. Yao Wu played by Wang Xueqi, Dr. Helen Cho played by Claudia Kim, Quake played by Chloe Bennet, Melinda May played by Ming-Na Wen, Karnak played by Ken Leung, Triton played by Mike Moh, Madam Gao played by Wai Ching Ho, Nobu played by Peter Shinkoda, Elektra Natchios played by Elodie Yung, Connie Lin played by Jade Wu, Colleen Wing played by Jessica Hendrick, Zhou Cheng played by Lewis Tan, and Nico Minoru played by Lyrica Okano. So, I am not saying Marvel can't do more but I think they are trying.

Surfer

Don't forget the new upcoming x-men show called gifted will have a female asian superhero called blink.It is not a mcu show but it's marvel.
The cloak and dagger show has an east asian male actor in the main cast list.
AOS and iron fist has south asian(indian) actors.Of course they are not east asian but still asian.

Last edited:
Well mantis is a main chaverter in gotg 2 i heard.The actor playing drax is asian but is really playing an alien.Of course someone could be or play a asian looking alien like hogun.Of course the drax thing is different then hogun thing.
Like actresses playing gamora and Valkyrie.
Quake and agent may are co-leads but these are team shows,not solo shows.Upcoming mcu shows will have other asian main characters like inhumans and runaways,but those are team shows too.
Of course all are co-leads,not main main leads who have there own solo film or show.
with all of the ones you mentioned there are still no protagonists that are asian, i think that was what i meant when i made that post originally. if they picked lewis tan for iron fist, that would've changed this story

I found this out recently.
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

Aleta is played by Michelle Yeoh in Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, during a scene in which Yondu Udonta's original team interact. The intent in introducing the characters is for them to feature in future films in the franchise.

She might be featured in future movies. But that still won't make her the central character.

She might be featured in future movies. But that still won't make her the central character.
I know.
I was just pointing out that another character from the comics will be in the mcu films and will be asian.
The character by the way is not asian in the comics.

I should say an east asian looking alien.

again though while it is awesome to have more asians featured in the mcu, there are still none that are leads in their series. iron fist was the perfect opportunity.

Not really. And it's kind of pointless to complain about it anymore.

Not really.
yes really. there are 0 Asian characters that are protagonists in the MCU
And it's kind of pointless to complain about it anymore.
well, this thread is still in existence and open. if you think it is pointless, then it is pointless for you to be in the thread

Asian? Sure, I wouldn't mind seeing a Russian actor play the part.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"