Would the country be better off with different zones for every major ideology?

MessiahDecoy123

Psychological Anarchist
Reaction score
Anyone frustrated with the endless tug-a-war between warring ideologies?

What if the country was split into zones for Libertarians, the religious right, greens, etc.

Or is a constant struggle for compromise of all these values in the best interest of the entire nation?

Last edited:
I think it would foster an "us vs them" mentality. Perhaps it would take a while to take root, but I could see it happen. When you have no one to challenge your views and the opportunity to strengthen your views, you start lashing out at people whose views are contrary to your own in an attempt to feel secure despite a rather shaky foundation.

I think it would foster an "us vs them" mentality. Perhaps it would take a while to take root, but I could see it happen. When you have no one to challenge your views and the opportunity to strengthen your views, you start lashing out at people whose views are contrary to your own in an attempt to feel secure despite a rather shaky foundation.
I think it's very possible to co-exist just long as:

1) People are allowed to live according to their own ideals

2) Americans are allowed to leave or arrive at any zone they please.

The problem with the current system is that few people can fully explore the possibilities of their ideals.

Libertarians don't know if their ideal society would work. The religious right are frustrated with a secular society while pushing their agenda on the rest. Liberals have to contend with half the country trying to strip away the social safety net and so forth.

I think some states would be better of other states would suffer.

I think some states would be better of other states would suffer.

But then the people of each zone would be forced to admit their ideals are impractical and be forced to refine their ideology.

Right now we're all living in a stale mate.

No. Our world is not some dumb young adult novel.

You've never been to the South or San Francisco if you think we don't already have that.

I feel like that would lay out a playing field for a new Civil War.

You know how long it took to do away with segregation? Why the f*** would we go back to it.

You know how long it took to do away with segregation? Why the f*** would we go back to it.
Agreed. It's entirely impractical to separate everyone one out into their political beliefs, especially with families that are mixed in political beliefs.

No. Our world is not some dumb young adult novel.

I think this concept predates Divergent.

What do you think the United States was intended to be?

A collection of experimental societies.

It's kind of scary that if someone wants an idea to be considered ridiculous all they have to do is put it in a successful YA novel.

1 succesful YA novel series, the rest not so much.

This gives people the choice to live where ever they want according to their beliefs.

It's nothing like racial segregation which removed choice.

Agreed. It's entirely impractical to separate everyone one out into their political beliefs, especially with families that are mixed in political beliefs.

Initially it would be difficult but just like the first settlers people will settle in areas that suit them. As children age they will go to places that interest them.

The zones will all still be part of a single nation so people can visit family in other zones at any time.

We do this already when kids move to college in a far off state.

Wouldn't it be kind of boring to only live near people of the same ideology? I think you would lose opportunities to learn if you were only surrounded by like minded people.

People need to learn to co-exist. I think this would just foster a clique mentality.

People need to learn to coexist with those they don't agree with, and the last way to do that is segregating them by ideology. That would only make everything more hostile and divisive than it already is.

Prior to 1860, the U.S. was divided into two "zones" with many ideological and cultural differences as well as some legal (in regards to slavery.) I don't recall that turning out so well.

I saw we just ditch the multiple parties and form one single party in government.

Initially it would be difficult but just like the first settlers people will settle in areas that suit them. As children age they will go to places that interest them.

The zones will all still be part of a single nation so people can visit family in other zones at any time.

We do this already when kids move to college in a far off state.

Some kids can start identifying as LGBT as young as 13. What happens to those that happen to be living in the Christian Taliban areas of America at that time? In fact, what about the rights of any child? Should a child in Kansas have an ill-informed education system that perpetuates ignorance thrust upon them, turning them into a perpetual underclass citizen? I know crappy faith-based education still exists now, but under a segregated America, the church=state lobby will have an even more unfettered ability to shape their narrow world according to their own views.

Your idea might work on a racial basis, though I don't like that it does, but one of the main wedge issues right now is sexual orientation, and gay can't be gotten rid of via migration.

Eh, yes and no. No, for all the reasons listed above. Yes, because the country would be easier to manage if it were smaller.

Some kids can start identifying as LGBT as young as 13. What happens to those that happen to be living in the Christian Taliban areas of America at that time? In fact, what about the rights of any child? Should a child in Kansas have an ill-informed education system that perpetuates ignorance thrust upon them, turning them into a perpetual underclass citizen? I know crappy faith-based education still exists now, but under a segregated America, the church=state lobby will have an even more unfettered ability to shape their narrow world according to their own views.

Your idea might work on a racial basis, though I don't like that it does, but one of the main wedge issues right now is sexual orientation, and gay can't be gotten rid of via migration.

The gay youth suicide rate goes even higher than it already is?

Michele Bachmann's home district in Minnesota is dominated by a hardline conservative church whose pastor rails against gays on a regular basis. Bachmann and her "cure the gays" psychiatrist husband are elders in the church, and its members also include the mayor, sheriff, and basically anybody of any importance.

It has one of the highest gay teen suicide rates in the nation. Coincidence? I think not.

I saw we just ditch the multiple parties and form one single party in government.

Because that worked so well for the Third Reich, or the Soviet Union, or China, or North Korea, or Iraq?

And what is that party's platform?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"