Homecoming Would you be okay with Miles Morales becoming Spider-Man after Civil War?

Talion

Superhero Detective
Reaction score
Okay Spider-Board, listen me up for a little bit. I've been trying my hardest to get all the pieces of the puzzle that is the casting of the MCU Spider-Man and I was sort of hit with an epiphany of sorts:

What if ALL the rumors are partially true?

Calm down, once again, please I'm asking you for listen me up for a little bit. Dylan O'Brien is basically everyone's favorite fancasting for Spider-Man. He is genuinely perfect for the role, that's quite clear to me. He is in fact my favorite choice for the role, but at the same time I've been taking Latino-Review's, HitFix's and TheWrap's word and pratically ruling him and Logan Lerman out of the run for the Spider-Man role.

I was trying to think that Marvel would be going with an actual teenager for Peter Parker, and I've got lost into a conundrum of mixed feelings because while we can all agree that Asa Butterfield is a very talented 17 years old actor, it's clear that he doesn't have the same kind of speed talking that someone like Dylan O'Brien does, it's literally like O'Brien has been born for this role.

Then it hit me: what if Dylan O'Brien IS Spider-Man. What if he is acting suspicious because he IS playing Peter Parker, or at least been among the shortlist of contenders to play Peter Parker, but there is a catch: Jeff Sneider sources are also right that they are going with a different Spider-Man that ISN'T Peter Parker, but since he isn't an actual Spider-Man fan, he couldn't see the big picture: if they are thinking about using Miles Morales, they need a Spider-Man. They need a Peter Parker first.

Some are counterpointing my theory saying that Marvel "wouldn't do that" now, and I agree that they SHOULDN'T do that now, but what if they are doing it? One of Marvel's biggest mottos is to give what the fans NEED, not what the fans WANT. That's actually one of the oldest sayings when it comes to fiction.

I don't want Marvel to do that. I'm completely against Marvel introducing Peter Parker in the MCU just so he'll die in Civil War, but here is what I think they'll be doing:

Dylan O'Brien IS Spider-Man, a 16 year old kid called Peter Parker that got bitten by a radioactive spider and learned the hardest way that with great power comes great responsibility. He has been Spider-Man for about one year, he lives with his Aunt May and he worships the Avengers. They are the heroes he looks up other than his Uncle Ben. They are the Beatles saving the world every other day, he is the D.I.Y. punk rock kid trying to keep New York safe.

Civil War in the comics was a big fall out between Steve and Tony, with Steve thinking the government should let superheroes do their thing while Tony thinking that heroes needed regulation. Peter Parker is our POV in Civil War, don't be fooled, Cap and Iron Man are the epicenter of the film, but Peter is us: we all love Cap and Iron Man and wish both could get along and get back taking down villains north and south.

Iron Man sees a lot of himself in Peter, both are genius, and he is somehow trying to make up for the loss of his science bro Bruce Banner, which I firmly believe will indeed go into some sort of exile after Age of Ultron. Tony sees in Peter a chance to make him the poster boy of his government sponsored Avengers, since I believe that Stark will become head of SHIELD in Civil War.

Just like in the famous scene, Peter Parker unmasks and tells the world that he is Spider-Man. Obviously things go all downhill from there and at some point, Spidey change sides and turns against Iron Man's side. Somehow, Peter is killed, possibly saving Captain America in the process.

Death_of_Spider-Man_from_Ultimate_Spider-Man_Vol_1_157_page_21.jpg

Steven_Rogers_(Earth-1610)_from_Ultimate_Avengers_vs._New_Ultimates_Vol_1_4.jpg

That's the curveball in Civil War. Everyone is actually expecting Cap to die. I don't think he will. I think he'll almost kill Iron Man, just like the scene below. Now think how fitting that is: First Avenger starts with Steve repeatedly getting knocked out by a bully, and he just keep getting up, ultimately, Bucky saves him. In Winter Soldier, it ends with Cap not fighting Bucky back, because he is his friend. The death of Peter, the death of someone so noble like Peter - especially if Iron Man is indirectly responsible - would make Steve go all berserk on Tony, they could literally just adapt this Civil War page:

cIVIL-wAR-ISSUE-7C.png

The reason I'm making this post is not because I want this to happen. It's because I want Marvel and Sony to actually reconsider doing that if that's somewhat kind of what they are going for. In fact, I'm posting this as a form to say to Marvel that if that's even similar to what you are going for, PLEASE don't. Let Spider-Man be Spider-Man. Give O'Brien or whoever you cast the opportunity of having his own MCU trilogy. Then after we actually get to love and care this incarnation of Spider-Man, introduce us Miles.

Here's a brief summary of what I think it's going to happen:

• Dylan O'Brien is Spider-Man. Spider-Man is young and has been Spider-Man since he was a 15 years old, he is 16 now.
  • The registration act in the MCU means that in order to the supes have authorization to operate, they have to be government sanctioned.
  • Iron Man convinces Spidey that's the right thing to do, Cap disagrees and forms his own team of New Avengers and they are hunt down by SHIELD, now directed by Tony Stark.
  • Iron Man is actually Spider-Man's hero, and they bond as science genius with insane ad libbing skills.
  • Just like his hero, Spider-Man reveals his secret identity to the World.
  • Something happens that makes him change to Captain side.
  • Spider-Man dies.
  • Captain America goes mad and almost kills Iron Man, this scene is a literal adaptation of the Civil War page, up until Winter Soldier stops Cap from murdering Iron Man, who is indirectly to blame for Spider-Man's death.
  • Miles Morales is also introduced, and just like in his origin, it's actually bitten by a spider in Civil War, gaining powers, but he is too afraid of taking and he blames himself for Peter's death.
  • In 2017, Ultimate Spider-Man.
  • In 2019, the return of Peter Parker in Infinity War Part 2.
  • In 2020, Spider-Men, with Peter and Miles teaming up.

I don't want Peter Parker to die in Civil War, even if they'll bring him back in Infinity War later. I want Peter to have his own MCU trilogy first at least. You are free to call me nuts all you want, but what if I'm right? What if that's similar to what Marvel is actually aiming for. Would you be okay with that? Would you be okay with Marvel introducing Miles after having Peter killed in Civil War?

My answer is a big fat NO, I don't think it's fair either with the character OR the fans to wait all this time to have Peter as the sacrificial lamb for Civil War. I want Marvel to give me the best Spider-Man stories they possibly could with PETER PARKER first, and then growing to make room for Miles and even a Spider-Verse down the line.

Even if you think that all I've said is gibberish, answer the question of the poll: would you be okay with Peter Parker getting killed in Civil War just to have Miles Morales getting his own film by 2017 and Spider-Men when Peter eventually comes back? What do you think?

I think you are obsessive and weird.

Did you come up with your own idea just to call it terrible? Self deprecation is wrong mate, terribly and hopelessly wrong.

I don't see the point of killing off Parker after only one movie. Marvel just got him back, so he's not going anywhere any time soon.

Wow.. um..
All I'm going to say is don't kill Peter, introduce Miles later on.

Did you come up with your own idea just to call it terrible? Self deprecation is wrong mate, terribly and hopelessly wrong.

I'm just trying to make sense out of the rumors. It started with me imagining what if Sneider does know something that we don't. If Marvel is indeed looking for a black actor play Spider-Man and that his name won't be Peter like he said on the podcast, that probably means that they are going with Miles Morales.

To have Miles Morales, you have to have Spider-Man. I know that we are all expecting Spider-Man's role in Civil War to be short, but what if they actually go ahead with the unmasking bit for Peter? What if that somehow leads to Peter dying at the climax, making the "schism" (see what I did here?) between Steve and Tony even deeper? Marvel is known for holding Hulk for The Avengers movies, what if Peter only is able to comeback in Infinity War? I feel that my theory has merits. Not because I've "created", but because I think I could be somewhat right about this, and I WOULDN'T like to be. In fact I'd love to be wrong.

Feel free to mock me for daring to share it though. I have a thick skin, fire at will. :mnm:

Why is this becoming a thing? I highly doubt it happens. For one because it completely distracts from Captain America especially if he dies as well. Second because it's just really not logical to kill of your new Spider-Man as soon as you introduce him into the MCU, we will know virtually nothing about the character or his adventures up to that point before you killed him. Third because the press release specifically states the Spider-Man introduced in the "Marvel movie" (Civil War) will then go on to star in his own 2017 solo movie.

I get the point of the thread but it kind of irks me that some people are taking this serious.

Just stop making that idea if you don't want it happen. I don't think this topic is necessary

The actual idea of the topic is to PREVENT that from happening. But yeah, if they are going with this, I'm not sure how the fans could possibly stop it.

I voted no for one reason only: Miles does not deserve a movie. Spider-Man is Peter Parker. Spider-Man is not Miles. He is not Ben Reily. Peter Parker has been Spider-Man and the face of Marvel for half a century. Miles has been a character for what, two years? No one outside of Marvel comic book fans know who Miles is and even fewer even like him. Peter Parker is THE face of Marvel and Miles Morales is barely a single punctuation mark in an entire encyclopedia.

You say that Marvel gives fans what they need, not what they want. Well, what the fans need is to see the real Spider-Man - Peter Parker - take his rightful place among his compatriots in the Marvel films. The fans need a consistent story, character and actor. To introduce Spiser-Man in the Civil War, only to kill him off and bring in yet another new character and actor would not only be the biggest slap in the face to comic fans, but would also mean we'd have seen Spiser-Man rebooted three times in less than 10 years. That is the exact opposite of what we need.

I voted no for one reason only: Miles does not deserve a movie. Spider-Man is Peter Parker. Spider-Man is not Miles. He is not Ben Reily. Peter Parker has been Spider-Man and the face of Marvel for half a century. Miles has been a character for what, two years? No one outside of Marvel comic book fans know who Miles is and even fewer even like him. Peter Parker is THE face of Marvel and Miles Morales is barely a single punctuation mark in an entire encyclopedia.

You say that Marvel gives fans what they need, not what they want. Well, what the fans need is to see the real Spider-Man - Peter Parker - take his rightful place among his compatriots in the Marvel films. The fans need a consistent story, character and actor. To introduce Spiser-Man in the Civil War, only to kill him off and bring in yet another new character and actor would not only be the biggest slap in the face to comic fans, but would also mean we'd have seen Spider-Man rebooted three times in less than 10 years. That is the exact opposite of what we need.

Agreed on all accounts.

It would be a super weird decision, but would I still follow and see the Miles movies in theaters? Of course. I suppose that's the definition of "being ok" with it. It would be puzzling for the obvious reasons, but it would also be interesting as hell, because it would come off as a mega-confident (a.k.a. mega-questionable) move. You don't see those often.

As this thread grows, there will be plenty of people who will insist that the short answer is "no".*I couldn't disagree more.

The actual short answer is "no ****ing way".

Geez whats so wrong with both. I blame these idiotic SJW's for stirring this up and googling Miles just to cry his name. They didnt pick any other spiderman but his and made it a race thing now people are panicking thinking this might actually happen. Marvel isnt just gonna throw out peter parker..... they'll probably cast a half white half black person as peter or maybe a white latino but it still better be Parker.

Nobody but comic fans knew who miles was til spiderman joined the MCU, People whined and complained about Spiderman joining the MCU and now that he's in we have these "MILES fans" coming out of the wood work saying they want miles and shaming people for not wanting him and saying its racist. Its a real shame that even though piderman is in the MCu we are still not at ease because of things like this.
Miles is a great character but you dont bring batman into a movie with superman just to star robin in it people want to see the real thing.
Nobody is crying for Miguel o hara or ben reiley somthing completely new and different nope they are whining about miles all because he's black and we want to make it about race.
Shame on the people who saw spiderman as only a white man and not a hero. I feel sorry that they only see color and not what the character represents.

Geez whats so wrong with both. I blame these idiotic SJW's for stirring this up and googling Miles just to cry his name. They didnt pick any other spiderman but his and made it a race thing now people are panicking thinking this might actually happen. Marvel isnt just gonna throw out peter parker..... they'll probably cast a half white half black person as peter or maybe a white latino but it still better be Parker.

Nobody but comic fans knew who miles was til spiderman joined the MCU, People whined and complained about Spiderman joining the MCU and now that he's in we have these "MILES fans" coming out of the wood work saying they want miles and shaming people for not wanting him and saying its racist. Its a real shame that even though piderman is in the MCu we are still not at ease because of things like this.
Miles is a great character but you dont bring batman into a movie with superman just to star robin in it people want to see the real thing.
Nobody is crying for Miguel o hara or ben reiley somthing completely new and different nope they are whining about miles all because he's black and we want to make it about race.
Shame on the people who saw spiderman as only a white man and not a hero. I feel sorry that they only see color and not what the character represents.

I think that was sneider's intention in the first place, he want to stir controversy and opinion on th net to made marvel thinks that "fans" are demandng for miles morales. And that news outlets reporting his opinion as fact and that causing those miles "fanatics" and peter haters come out of the wood and loudly voicing their demand on the internet to put pressure at marvel. Despite he has showing displeasant on news outlets reporting his statement, but i think he Wants it to be that way to put pressure on marvel and sony. Their reasoning are so petty and accusing everyone that disagree with them as racist. :cmad:
For me those people that are truly racist and shame on them, not spidey's/peter's fans.
Shame on sneider and those racist miles "fanatics".
Man, i do hope marvel and sony are smart to figure out that all these "demand" for miles was not what fans wanted

Last edited:
I don't ever want Miles Morales in a movie.

Once everyone sees Peter Parker Spider-man fighting along side with the Avengers, all the "Miles Morales fans" will pipe down

they wrestled Spidey into their movie universe. It's not like the character of Peter Parker has had a fair chance, he finally dug his way out into the sun light, let's not start immediately beating him up with shovels

I don't know much about Miles, but he's much preferable to the modern Parker right now.

Why kill off arguably one of the biggest hero of all time for a second rate clone? Marvel is smarter than that. Unless they want their solo film to make less money than TASM 2.

This is reminding me of the guy who thought they were killing Superman because he wasn't that popular and WB hated MOS so they could do a reboot.

*sigh* There is only one Amazing, Ultimate, and Spectacular Spider-Man. His name is Peter Benjamin Parker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"