Superman Returns Would you have omitted a character? If so, who?

That-Guy

Avenger
Reaction score
As I've stated before, I felt that this movie lost focus of its main character. There was just too much going on with the supporting cast and it felt to me that while Singer and his writing team had some fairly good ideas about what to do with them, they had little to no idea about what to do with Superman/Clark.

My question is, do you think they should have trimmed down the cast a bit? If so, who would you omit? Here are my 3 choices:

1. Jason. Yeah, this will probably be the person most people didn't want in the film. Personally, I'm not opposed to the idea of Supes having a son with Lois, but I didn't like the way this was carried out. Jason is a very two-dimensional character who is only there as a plot device and his presence created some really stupid moments (Lois going to investigate a possible terrorist act and she brings her son with her? Yeah, okay).

2. Richard. Don't get me wrong. I really liked this character and I have become a fan now of James Marsden. But this character should not have had half the screentime that he did. It simply wasn't necessary. Although I liked him, he took a LOT of the focus off of Superman... so much at times I wanted to see Lois end up with him over Superman simply because it felt like they actually cared about each other instead of just resented one another despite an obvious attraction. In the scenes between Lois and Superman, it almost felt like I was watching Gail and Dwight from Sin City.

3. Kitty. Parker Posey in a pointless role playing Parker Posey in a pointless role. Some people likened her character to Valerie Perrine's Miss Tessmacher. I refuse to do so for 2 reasons: 1. Valerie Perrine was hot and 2. I didn't want to stomp her to death by the end of the movie.

what you said

and i'll add young clark. His role in this was prettymuch of no value at all.

stephen-bender1.jpg
sorry kid but you deserved to be cut out imo.

The kid should've never have come into the equation at all. The rest of the characters were fine.

The kid of course, that can't be stressed enough. Kitty's ash might have ended up on the editing room floor too.

You guys are right; with some simple re-editing, SR can be a much better movie. It would be a shorter movie, but would be tighter and would move quickly along.
You're all right about the kid. He was simply there to make a thematic point about father and sons, etc. I say cut his scenes. Even though, all the Kansas and young Clark scenes are beatifully shot, I'm sorry, they served no purpose later in the story. What was the payoff? Cut them all. Begin the movie with Superman's ship crashlanding. Superman rising from the ship. Then cut right to the scene of Clark returning to the Daily Planet. That's all the audience really needed to see.

the young Clark kid would be my choice too....cut that stuff and give us back some deleted Krypton quest stuff....or...I'm sorry, Kal Penn, supposed to be a tech junky, but barely any lines...however, my theatre at the midnite screening lauged just because it was Kumar...so I guess that counts...but I was hoping for some funny moments from him.

It sucked because my friends were thinking he'll be a big character in the movie...

Yeah, Kal Penn was pretty much pointless. I didn't gather that he was a tech junkie at all, just some loser criminal who is stupid enough to team up with a guy like Luthor. Luthor being potentially the dumbest criminal on the planet because he not only is the only one to directly challenge the most powerful being on the planet to a duel, but also because instead of using an apparently limitless fortune to rebuild his place in society and gain control over Metropolis and other parts of the world through some intelligent scheme, he decides to waste God knows how much money trying to grow Mordor Island in the middle of the Atlantic.

I would take out the guy in Lex's group of thugs that always had the video camera. I'll also cut out the Kid Clark scenes. Some kid yelled out Spiderman in that scene. I'll also add some scenes with Superman, it is his movie not the supporting cast who hog most of the screen time movie.

Cyclops................

where was his visor anyways?

I would be funny if Superman is just crazy and he thinks it's his child but really it's Batman's kid. Yes Lois banged Batman and he could take "JASON" as Robin.....The ****in END!!!

Absolutely loved the kid. I thought they balanced him perfectly. Honestly, I get the 'father/son' stuff, but I more took his presence as a sign that, yes, things change, but not all the changes are bad. Every other change Clark had was negative; I loved the way he looked at Jason at the end as if realizing not everything ended up going downhill.

Anyway, for characters I'd drop...young Clark. I thought he did great running and jumping, but it just felt so out of place. I would have much preferred to see more of Kal-El/farm Clark than that bit.

I wanted to see more of Superman than Clark, so I'm not that upset about that balance.

I would have liked to have seen more farm-Clark, though. If that's who he really is, it would be nice to see more of it. :)

I really really enjoyed Routh's performance as Clrak, spot on,...... spot on

I actually like his Clark better than Reeves. His Clark was so FLY ON THE WALL while still be being a nerdy cheesy dude. Nice balance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"