Would you want a Green Arrow film?

Discussion in 'DC Comics Films' started by Nightwing 52, May 17, 2006.

?

Would you like to see a Green Arrow film?

1. Yes.

2. No.

3. Wait a few more year to develop it.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Nightwing 52 Things change

Whatever the case, I don't want people to compare the two if a movie was ever made. They often are compared in certain regions, but that was mostly in the old carnation of the character. Such as, Batman has the Bat-signal, while his was the Arrow-signal. Or the fact that he used to have a car called the Arrow car as opposed to the Bat-mobile. And of course, both being millionaires...

The film should be independent on it's own, that way it's not taken as a rip off or just Robin Hood with a mask and goatee. Perhaps the millionaire part should be removed, though he's partially known for being one. But I wouldn't remove all of it, just make him rich in his own way. Considering he's one of the best archers currently in DC, there may be a need for a few flash back sequences of how he became that way. But again that leads up to a comparison to Batman, considering the same thing was used in Batman Begins to explain how he got to where was today. However, there would be a scene I'd like to see where he's assembling the various types of trick arrows he carries around in his quiver.

There's also a way for the "green" to be explained. It can't be taken away, it's part of what makes him Green Arrow in the first place.

2. Manic User title? USER TITLE?!

I think he should remain a millionaire (or is it billionaire, now?), but they should keep it downplayed like it's been as of recent. Oliver is so incredibly rich that he never needs to work, and he has no trouble funding his own crime-fighting arsenal. However, he lives in a regular house in the middle of the city (as opposed to a mansion in the outskirts of town), doesn't have a butler, and even fixes the broken household appliances on his own. He's a rich man who doesn't like to let people know he's rich... until he wants to throw his weight around, that is.

Truth is, people are going to see Green Arrow as Robin Hood with a vandyke. He's an archer who fights corrupt officials, and he wears a feather in his hat. The whole Robin Hood thing is actually what got me into the character.

3. Motown Marvel Crimson and Clover

yeah, exactly. i'm thinking a 30-35 million dollar budget would work well for the film. and the bruce wayne comparisons are defenitely touchy...its not someting you could excape completely if your gonna stay mostly true to the character...but with a decent enough writer it could be handled just fine. some people may be making the comparisons, but if everything else holds up, no ones gonna care and it wont be that big of a deal.

bah, the green can be explained easily!! no problem. and i think it'll look fine onscreen too if you make it that really dark olive green.

4. Nightwing 52 Things change

Who would any of you cast as Green Arrow if ever there were to be a film?

5. Bullseye Registered

I'm at a loss on the casting choice.

Possibly a younger Carey Elwes to play Green Arrow.

6. Nightwing 52 Things change

There are a ton actors who could do justice to the character, it's just a question of who. Elwes played Robin Hood before, so I could see why you chose him. If I had to choose, it'd either be Aaron Eckhart or Kiefer Sutherland. Between the two, they'd both be capable of being the perfect Oliver Queen.

7. Hawkeye Registered

Rockage. :up: :up: Both would kick ass playing ol' Ollie, great choices.

Green Arrow is such a rip off of Hawkeye, though. Even though he's from DC and Hawkeye's from Marvel. :o

8. Manic User title? USER TITLE?!

I think we're all forgetting about one major problem this movie will have:

The plot/villain.

Green Arrow is known for "sticking it to The Man." It's why the Robin Hood parallels keep flooding it. However, thanks a certain trend in superhero movies, The Man can't be an organized crime boss, or a corrupt businessman. And good luck bringing in a dangerous villain in who was hired by the real bad guys-- Daredevil killed that for us.

And if we bring in the likes of Merlin, what reason would he have for coming into conflict with Green Arrow?

9. Manic User title? USER TITLE?!

That was supposed to be funny, right? Because Green Arrow was created 13 years before Hawkeye.

10. Spider - Man Registered

There are certain characters I think every comic fan wants to see onscreen before the superhero wave subsides. For Marvel it is all the current ones + Ironman, Cap, Thor, Dr. Strange, Silver Surfer, and the Avengers.
    For DC, Supes& BAts + WW, Flash, GL, Aquaman, Shazam, Atom, Plastic Man, Teen Titans, GA, and the Justice League.

I thought a cool origin and explanation would be to have him be a Vietnam vet (this may create an age issue) who was special forces and used "quiet" weapons (knives, bow and arrow) to kill. He never believed in the war and this could go towards making him anti-establishment. The green costume could evolve from his jungle green camo. He would be highly trained at stealth and combat. This would not preclude him from being rich.
    I could definitely see it working onscreen.

11. The Guard Registered

Absolutely. Green Arrow's story IS a retelling of the Robin Hood legend in a lot of ways. And should be connected to such in the film.

See, that's the point.I don't neccessarily think he needs to shoot green arrows from a green bow. Unless there's a damn good reason for it (His name is "Green Arrow" is not a good reason by itself). I'm fine with him wearing green (Maybe he literally wants to be like Robin Hood), but his "name" needs to be explained. A simple scene..."We can't call him Robin Hood"..."The Green Arrow?" could work maybe. But a green bow and green arrows I can do without. UNTIL the name caught on and he started using the green bow and arrow, or something. As a signature.

And as far as villains...Oliver Queen fights for the people. I think this would be the perfect chance to go away from the organized crime, and toward a "corrupt government" character. Organized crime and people who are supposed to represent/protect the people hurting them could be tied into that. Cliche? Perhaps, but it's a real issue, in a lot of ways, and could work really well. Or hey, the villain could be a smaller, more personal thing, like someone who covered something horrible up, etc.

As I've said before, if there was an idie director out there with a decent budget, I'd love to write a feature length GREEN ARROW fanfilm.

12. Manic User title? USER TITLE?!

*does the math*
    We're looking at his mid-50s. At youngest.

I imagine Green Arrow being between 30 and 45. And who needs an origin story? The man got stuck on an island, and learned to use a bow. The end. Unlike most popular DC characters, GA's main appeal falls nowhere near his origin. With everyone else, you pretty much need to make a movie about how their parents died, they grew up on a strange island, their planet exploded, or they collected a ring from a dying alien.

With a Green Arrow movie, I like to think we can just jump right into the story, and get to know Ollie as a character through his current, pressing adventure. Nobody wants to see an origin that'll basically look like "Castaway" with bows & arrows. Trying segueing from that to an urban environment.

And a war vet? Don't think so. This is Oliver Queen we're talking about. The man used to call all police officers "Blue Facists." Can you honestly imagine Ollie blindly following government orders? At all?

13. The Guard Registered

Yeah. Don't like the Vietnam explanation. Not sure he needs an origin. It would really just be cool if he showed up and you see what drives him during the course of the film.

Though, I could see an older Green Arrow. Sean Bean, anyone?

14. Nightwing 52 Things change

Actually, you have it backwards. Green Arrow was created in 1941, while Hawkeye entered the Marvel universe in 1964. So which makes him the "ripoff."

Merlyn is an assassin, as well as a master archer. He rivals among the same skills with a bow as Green Arrow does, even admitting at one point that he was the better archer. They've been rivals for years, even till this day he's considering his best known foe. If ever there was a film based on Green Arrow, having Merlyn as the villain would be grand. A real bow verses bow epic, I could see it working out very well is done right. Not to mention all the angle shots that would be required, in order for it all to happen.

Or, the villain could simply be something a bit smaller. Like something that ends up catching Green Arrow's attention. But partially the film should focus on who the character is about. Queen would do anything to protect his city, even risking his own life if he had too. Anything to make sure it never loses what makes it so special too him, and that is very important. Just look at today's comics, he's been elected the new mayor.

I could see it.

15. Motown Marvel Crimson and Clover

green arrow should be in his mid thirties. i wouldnt complain over sean bean...but sean bean isnt the most attractive man...and ollie is suppose to be a ladies man, so i think he needs to be a bit better looking than sean bean. plus i want sean bean to play rorshach in watchmen. aaron eckhart has good potential, at least in regards to the look, im not too familiar with his work as an actor. but i cant say i have too much of a definitive choice in regards to an actor for the role.

and i agree with GUARD about him having a green bow and arrows not being necessary. green costume, yes. and maybe in the sequel, once ollie feels green arrow is an established figure in star city he'll make his arrows green to go along with the namesake (after all, he DOES make his own arrows). it could also be cool if the bow is mostly brown, but theres some nice design etched into it that is painted green.

16. Manic User title? USER TITLE?!

Ready for me to blow your mind?

You say his name has to be explained, right? How about they come up with the name Green Arrow because (pay attention, because this is where it gets crazy) of the green arrows he uses?

"Who is this modern-day Robin Hood?"
    "I don't know, but he leaves behind green arrows at the scene of every crime he stops."

See? Makes perfect sense.

17. Katsuro Registered

But the problem is... why does he use Green Arrows? Batman is called Batman cuz he dresses like a Bat, but his reason for dressing like a bat is explained. What's Green Arrow's reason for using green arrows, and probably wanting to be called Green Arrow?

18. Nightwing 52 Things change

Editorially, it supposedly has to do with an old book and movie serial called "The Green Archer," which the character is partly based on. There is also a traditional medieval folk tale (used sometimes in movies and books) in the vein of Robin Hood, which is called Black Arrow. It involves a Robin Hood-type outlaw who uses black arrows. This may or may not have some influence.

I've never heard if there was a character motivation given in the original stories (though I doubt anyone gave it much thought at the time), but in current continuity, Queen didn't choose the name. When he first debuted, it was on his return from a desert island with a few criminals in town for the police. One of the crooks said something like this, "it some green arrow guy" to the police officers and the media. Having been marooned for several years, his only attire was hastily woven plant matter. Between his floral appearance and his use of a simple selfbow he'd made himself, the press dubbed the mysterious hero "The Green Arrow." It stuck with him.

19. cryptic name No Limits

it should at least be his first adventure/case though, right? i think it might be awkward to jump right into it. certain things need to be explained, like his name, the reason he does what he does, etc.

as for the green arrows/name thing, maybe in the first act he saves a woman from being mugged or raped and improvises with arrows that happen to have green shafts, like from a sporting goods store. the press picks it up "serial rapist killed with GREEN ARROW!" or something (does GA kill?) anyway, after that he would make his own customized green arrows and carry on from there.

20. Manic User title? USER TITLE?!

Green Arrow doesn't kill, but he does put plenty of people in the hospital.

That reminds me...
    Trick arrows: yes or no?

21. Nightwing 52 Things change

They should be used probably later on in the film. That way it would show how well established he is with the regular ones, first. The tricks arrows that would look well on screen, would be, the bola arrow, flash arrow, explosive arrow, grappling hook arrow, smokescreen arrow, and net arrow.

22. Manic User title? USER TITLE?!

Yeah. Basically anything except the boxing glove arrow.

23. Darthkush Avenger

After Batman and Superman, I think GA is the most deserving of his own film. His comic has been one of DC's best for the past 5 years or so and far more consistant than Flash, WW or GL.

24. Nightwing 52 Things change

Hence why I didn't list it down.

25. Motown Marvel Crimson and Clover

dude, the boxing glove arrow could totally work...you just gotta be clever:

GA is chasing down some dude who he wants to question, the dude bolts down an alley, GA not far behind...the dude is trapped, he kicks in a door and bolts inside the dark building to hide....GA soon follows...the building is a local boxing training center...GA finds the perp inside, trying to escape or hide or whatever, GA draws his bow tracking the mans frantic movement, but realizes he needs this guy talking and doesnt need to be shooting arrows through him....so he improvises and grabs a nearby boxing glove, tosses it over the arrow, smirks, and fires the "boxing glove arrow", hitting the frantic perp in the back of the head...he hits the ground hard.