Wow. I am a believer now.

M

MaximusCarnage

I have been into comics my whole life, but it was not until things for Watchmen showed up on this site that I heard about it. SO I checked this forum and wikipedia on it and was rather impressed by the information and reviews(I read everything very briefly and skimmed ahead where content was divulged).

As such I ordered it off Amazon and it arrived. This was about 2 months ago and I have been slightly busy and didn't really want to start it out of fear of it not living up to the hype.
Well I finally broke down last week and started reading it. I am currently only on chapter 5 and I can not begin to state how much I am enjoying this novel.

It starts off a bit imposing introducing all these characters and events with no real back story in the beginning. Yet as you read further the past is nicely and very cleverly inserted with the present and gives you a much better understanding of the characters as it allows you to parallel them at the then and now.

The characters themselves are so human that it makes many other attempts at humanizing super heroes look silly. Also the sheer realism of watchmen is impressive and makes this story so much more believable.
As said I have not finished it, but I must comment that this is probably at least top 5 of all time favorite books so far.

I have also finally started to allow myself to look at picture and what not of the movie and am pleased with what I have seen and have full confidence in Zach Snyder, much more so that with any comic book director with the possible exception of Christopher Nolan.

In closing the reason I made this thread was to share my enjoyment of this piece of fiction as well as to encourage others who were in my situation
i.e. a fan of comics who had not heard of or read Watchmen before. Break down. Buy this book or borrow it from a friend or w.e. you will not regret it.

I came late to reading Watchmen also (in 2003) and I've been a an advid comic fan for life also.

I had even read some of Alan Moore stuff before such particularly his run on Swamp thing. But never got around to Watchmen although I rememebr the excitment around it when it came out in 86 and all my friends was telling me how it was turing the concept of Superheroes on it's head.

I had heard enough of the general theme of the book so I was fimilar with what to expect.

But for some reason or another I just didn't get around to it. But I finally did in 2003 and as soon as I picke it up I literally couldn't put it down. I read it from start to fnish including the suplimentary stuff from Hollis Book and the interviews, etc.

It's a most compelling book and a must read and definetly lived up to the hype.

You guys think you were late to read The Watchmen...I just finished reading it about a month ago. I can't believe that I went this long not reading this amazing piece of work. Now the trailer is out and I'm feeling like a kid on Christmas morning. However Christmas for this title is 03/06/09. That's a long ways to wait. Hopefully they give us great marketing and some viral campaigning a la The Dark Knight to keep me occupied. There isn't a comic/superhero based movie any time soon after the Dark Knight is released.

Bring on Wolverine and the Watchmen!!!

In 2005 I was told by a friend I went to college with that if I were to start reading graphic novels there were 3 that I needed to immediately buy. The three were Batman: Year 1, Sandman Vol. 1, and Watchmen. While Sandman had the biggest impact on me in terms of the wow factor, Watchmen without a doubt was the most complex and amazing story I've ever read to this very day. So I was late to the party also.

I literally had to read Watchmen 3 times to fully understand the plot and all the characters. I mean ****, I had to go on wikipedia this week just to freshen up on it. The new trailer is probably the best movie trailer I've ever seen and am very hyped like I was for The Dark Knight.

I'm a little slow so the ending was confusing for me, so did Rorshach
die?

You do realize watchmen references a concept and not any actual team, right?

In 2005 I was told by a friend I went to college with that if I were to start reading graphic novels there were 3 that I needed to immediately buy. The three were Batman: Year 1, Sandman Vol. 1, and Watchmen. While Sandman had the biggest impact on me in terms of the wow factor, Watchmen without a doubt was the most complex and amazing story I've ever read to this very day. So I was late to the party also.

I literally had to read Watchmen 3 times to fully understand the plot and all the characters. I mean ****, I had to go on wikipedia this week just to freshen up on it. The new trailer is probably the best movie trailer I've ever seen and am very hyped like I was for The Dark Knight.

You should check out Jimmy Corrigan The Smartest Kid On Earth, Mr. Punch, and ACME Novelty Library #18.

You should check out Jimmy Corrigan The Smartest Kid On Earth, Mr. Punch, and ACME Novelty Library #18.

I think I'll do that. Thanks for the suggestions. Haven't been let down yet by recommendations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"