Superman Returns Wow I can't believe I just noticed this...

bsquad

Civilian
Reaction score
I remember reading the boards when the film came out and someone pointed out that the doctors ripped Superman's suit apart when he was in the hospital, which should have been impossible. I somehow missed that part the first time I saw it and behold it looked like they were right--the suit was ripped off and somehow 100% when he left the hospital. I figured it was just a plot hole and moved on.

But i'm watching the scene again on You Tube and I realized--they didn't rip his suit. The doctors are looking over him and one man says "I think I got it" and he tugs on the neckline of the suit and it snaps off from a connection on the cape. I don't believe I missed that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeEJynM5wmw

How about this plot hole, why doesn't anyone at the Planet notice Clark Kent missing when Superman is recovering?

That is how his suit comes off. That comes from a comic book that happen back in the 70s before Superman The Movie. Superman's suit had snaps at the neckline. One of the many tributes to the comics. They had to figure out for the movie of if he was going to the hospital how would the doctors take off the suit quickly. Well, that work right there. That work perfectly.

Want to know one that many doesn't realize.

Let's talk about Superman II or Superman II The Richard Donner Cut for a little bit. i know this goes away from Superman Returns.

When Ursa get the deputy's badge. How did it to go on her suit. Shouldn't the pin snap into pieces when trying to go through Kryptonian cloth? It should since the deputy's badge was made on earth and her suit was made on Krypton.
That is a puzzle to figure out but it is always looked over.

Lazlo Panaflex said:
How about this plot hole, why doesn't anyone at the Planet notice Clark Kent missing when Superman is recovering?
Clark's absence was one I was always worried about before the film, but I believed in Singer and thought he would come up with a good explanation. Instead, he pretty much ignored it.

Lighthouse said:
Clark's absence was one I was always worried about before the film, but I believed in Singer and thought he would come up with a good explanation. Instead, he pretty much ignored it.
They were probably betting on the standard Superman lore to help out: that no one is able to put 2 and 2 together even though its pretty obvious. Although Richard, Lois and Jason did at one point consider that Clark may be more than meets the eye (Richard and Lois when they were discussing Superman and Jason when he looked at the image of Superman, then at Clark, went wide eyed, and started to have an asthma attack)

bsquad said:
They were probably betting on the standard Superman lore to help out: that no one is able to put 2 and 2 together even though its pretty obvious. Although Richard, Lois and Jason did at one point consider that Clark may be more than meets the eye (Richard and Lois when they were discussing Superman and Jason when he looked at the image of Superman, then at Clark, went wide eyed, and started to have an asthma attack)
Throughout rest of the film Jason never acted like he knew that Superman was Clark, even though he realized it. Can anyone say what an annoying plothole. After Luthor finds out that Jason has superpowers, you'd think that would interest Lex. No, he just says, it's time to go. Can anyone say dumb!

CGHulk said:
Throughout rest of the film Jason never acted like he knew that Superman was Clark, even though he realized it. Can anyone say what an annoying plothole. After Luthor finds out that Jason has superpowers, you'd think that would interest Lex. No, he just says, it's time to go. Can anyone say dumb!
Jason not saying anything is'nt a plot hole though. Its just a kid not saying anything. And if the kid has powers like Superman, why would he stay? To get hit with a piano himself? I'd continue on with my plan as well, especially considering that my plan included a land mass that is part kryptonite. That means if little Jason were to follow me and he was in deed like his father he'd be screwed.

But anyways I didn't mean for this to turn into a plot holes thread

CGHulk said:
I can...DUMB! I am suprised he didn't grab his mom's arm and go "ummm...mommmmm" seen kids his age do that before.

Why would Jason feel the need to reveal that Superman is Clark?

That would have totally killed it.

How does Richard not know it isn't his kid. When Superman bones Lois, she pops out the baby in 9 months. Did it take Lois only a few months after Superman left, to meet Richard and hit it off big time? Seriously, how does Richard not know that it isn't his son? Do the math, Lois would've had to have met and boned Richard within a month or two of Superman leaving, in order for Richard to even have a chance at thinking the child was his, in order for this whole secret superchild angle to work. It simply doesn't make sense.

bsquad said:
I remember reading the boards when the film came out and someone pointed out that the doctors ripped Superman's suit apart when he was in the hospital, which should have been impossible. I somehow missed that part the first time I saw it and behold it looked like they were right--the suit was ripped off and somehow 100% when he left the hospital. I figured it was just a plot hole and moved on.

But i'm watching the scene again on You Tube and I realized--they didn't rip his suit. The doctors are looking over him and one man says "I think I got it" and he tugs on the neckline of the suit and it snaps off from a connection on the cape. I don't believe I missed that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeEJynM5wmw

Yeah i noticed that when watching the DVD last night and i had never noticed it before, good spot.

elvislennon2005 said:
When Ursa get the deputy's badge. How did it to go on her suit. Shouldn't the pin snap into pieces when trying to go through Kryptonian cloth? It should since the deputy's badge was made on earth and her suit was made on Krypton.
That is a puzzle to figure out but it is always looked over.
She welded it on with heat vision.

Darkest Knight said:
How does Richard not know it isn't his kid. When Superman bones Lois, she pops out the baby in 9 months. Did it take Lois only a few months after Superman left, to meet Richard and hit it off big time? Seriously, how does Richard not know that it isn't his son? Do the math, Lois would've had to have met and boned Richard within a month or two of Superman leaving, in order for Richard to even have a chance at thinking the child was his, in order for this whole secret superchild angle to work. It simply doesn't make sense.

She did meet and bone Richard almost immediately after Superman disappeared. It's mentioned in the movie that Jason was a premmie (or Lois claimed he was) which explains why Richard thinks he's his son. But yeah she jumped into bed with Richard very quickly considering she was supposedly in love with Superman.

Darkest Knight said:
Its never said that Richard knows he is his biological son. It is said however that Richard suspects that Lois slept with Superman. And we know that he considers Jason his son and that he loves Jason. The fact that he loves Jason and they consider themselves a family is the only thing confirmed when it comes to that. Saying he doesn't know is just an assumption considering what was actually stated and shown in the film. Its like my friend whose getting married next year. I'm not sure when he and his girl got back together (they dated in high school) but I know she has a daughter with another man, and that her daughter thinks of my friend as her father and he thinks as himself as her father. Its all comes down to love and family. It goes beyond genetics sometimes. (i.e Jonathon and Martha Kent. I actually think Singer's idea is that Richard White=the new Jonathon Kent)

bsquad said:
Its never said that Richard knows he is his biological son. It is said however that Richard suspects that Lois slept with Superman. And we know that he considers Jason his son and that he loves Jason. The fact that he loves Jason and they consider themselves a family is the only thing confirmed when it comes to that. Saying he doesn't know is just an assumption considering what was actually stated and shown in the film. Its like my friend whose getting married next year. I'm not sure when he and his girl got back together (they dated in high school) but I know she has a daughter with another man, and that her daughter thinks of my friend as her father and he thinks as himself as her father. Its all comes down to love and family. It goes beyond genetics sometimes. (i.e Jonathon and Martha Kent. I actually think Singer's idea is that Richard White=the new Jonathon Kent)

Yeah thats definately how i saw it in the movie, and i think its a good comparison to have Jason grow up with one foster parent, he is half kryptonian after all.

Actually, in the Official Prequel Book Lois Lane written by Singer, Dougherty and Harris, there is a scene where Lois is giving birth to Jason with Richard in the room. She is yelling at Richard saying he owes her. This would lead me to believe that both Lois and Richard believe Richard to be the biological father of Jason.

I'm sorry but story books,novels and prequel books just don't count as in continuity to what we see in the actual film. Especially considering the fact that films get edited and broken down to a point where they sometimes don't match up to what the filmakers originally invisioned the film to be(and nor should they have too go out of their way to match story books). I mean we already know that Singer cut over 20 minuites of ideas and subplots from the actual film. The fact that there is never any direct mention of Richard thinking Jason is his genetic son shows that he doesn't want to reveal what Richard may or may not know. Whats in continuity and what is fact is what is established on the screen. I mean that's like looking at the X2 prequel books or comic books and scratching your head when they don't match up to the film and the sequels.

bsquad said:
I'm sorry but story books,novels and prequel books just don't count as in continuity to what we see in the actual film. Especially considering the fact that films get edited and broken down to a point where they sometimes don't match up to what the filmakers originally invisioned the film to be(and nor should they have too go out of their way to match story books). I mean we already know that Singer cut over 20 minuites of ideas and subplots from the actual film. The fact that there is never any direct mention of Richard thinking Jason is his genetic son shows that he doesn't want to reveal what Richard may or may not know. Whats in continuity and what is fact is what is established on the screen. I mean that's like looking at the X2 prequel books or comic books and scratching your head when they don't match up to the film and the sequels.

My understanding(and I could be wrong) was that these Official Prequel Books(not necessarily the novel) were supposed to be in direct continuity with Superman Returns. Considering that Singer and his two writers are credited as the writers for these books, I accepted them as part of the Superman Returns canon. The novel I would say differently since it was not written by Singer, Dougherty or Harris. As far as I know, nothing in Superman Returns has contradicted anything that has happened in the Prequel Books.

FlawlessVictory said:
My understanding(and I could be wrong) was that these Official Prequel Books(not necessarily the novel) were supposed to be in direct continuity with Superman Returns. Considering that Singer and his two writers are credited as the writers for these books, I accepted them as part of the Superman Returns canon. The novel I would say differently since it was not written by Singer, Dougherty or Harris. As far as I know, nothing in Superman Returns has contradicted anything that has happened in the Prequel Books.
I gues sthats all open to interpretation because I just don't take movie tie ins as in continuity considering the ideas and concepts of the film is likely to change way after the comic scripts are created.

For me what is in the film is what is established as fact and in the film they made a point of introducing Jason as Lois' son (with Jason simply calling Richard dad and Lois telling Luthor that Richard is his father right before Luthor calls BS) and having Richard ask Lois about her relationship with Superman. They never said if Richard knew or not if Jason was his genetic son, they did however imply that he and Jason have a father and son relationship--and a father and son relationship is not defined by genetics.

damn, you two really broke it down. yea i also thought richard was unaware that jason wasnt his son and believed him to be his biological son, but after hearing these last couple posts, i think you're right. in the film, they dont really say wheter richard knows he's the father or not, just that he cares for him like a father.

yeah, it could very well change with the sequel and whatever they decide to do with the story but as is that's just the interpretation I got

Hugh'sMrs said:
She did meet and bone Richard almost immediately after Superman disappeared. It's mentioned in the movie that Jason was a premmie (or Lois claimed he was) which explains why Richard thinks he's his son. But yeah she jumped into bed with Richard very quickly considering she was supposedly in love with Superman.
What's a premmie?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"