WoW=overhyped

Discussion in 'PC' started by Joker, Jul 4, 2006.

1. The Leaguer Registered

I agree. Such a mistake is nigh unforgivable.

2. Benstamania Go away.

lol :p

The way I look at it is this.

If you want something that's just cool and fun, you play wow. if you want something completely 100% engrossing and life stealing, you play everquest.

If you want a digital POS you play SWG.

3. The Leaguer Registered

I agree about SWG, but EverQuest is (was) very cool and very fun. The zones in EverQuest are unequaled.

4. SouLeSS Registered

Personally, DAoC > EQ

5. The Leaguer Registered

DAoC isn't as bad as WoW, but it still doesn't match EQ for sheer awesomeness. EQ is the MMO to end all MMOs.

6. SouLeSS Registered

I've played both. SOmething about DAoC made me like it more. Probably the whole 3 realms thing.

7. iceberg325 Registered

I hear alot of wow hate. Whats wrong with it????

8. stryfe Chaos Bringer

Thats a long road to travel and im not even sure where to start. Just off the top of my head......

1) it seems 90% of the players are under 13 years old.
    2) Because of said reason the community sucks ass.
    3) PvP sucks.
    4) The missions are beyond dull.
    5) Even the instances arent very fun.
    6) The crafting system is a joke.
    7) Getting to 60 is generally very easy. This actually turns into a positive when.....
    8) Theres nothing to do once you reach 60 besides a few very uninteresting end games instances. How is this is positive you ask? Shorty after this point you cancel.

9. The Leaguer Registered

stryfe seems to have nailed it.

10. iceberg325 Registered

I havent really encountered to many people who seem young. Everyone on friends list seems capable of playing so I group and tolerate them.

I never had a problem with the community on my realm. (hellscream)

I dont generally do Pvp, but thought it was fun. The battlegrounds was good fun. Only downside is it takes toooooo long to get into one match. Capture the flag against others your level is a good distraction.

Missions are OK, but sometimes become too repetetive. I give you that one.

Instances are fun when fighting bosses. Alot of missions in them consist of same objectives as normal missions, which means repetitive gameplay. Point taken.

I dont craft so I cant comment lol.

Level 60 isnt too fast if you take your time. But yes if you quest enough, you can reach it pretty fast. Is that a bad thing? No. It doesnt take too much time of your life to become strong in the game. I played FF11 for a couple months and felt like I was getting no where. That becomes discouraging, and made me cancel my account. Wow rewards you for playing. You dont have to sit in front or your computer 10 hours a day to make it far. I think that is a pro rather then a con.

Im not level 60 so I cant comment on life after 60. Im level 55. When I get to 60, ill comment on it.

I think wow is a great game because its highly accessible. It doesnt take over your life like some mmos although it can become highly addictive. The game is constantly being updated, and there is new content all the time. Great game IMO. It can be a bit laggy in high traffic areas which sucks. Out of all the mmos ive played, this is the best one.

11. darkdaz Registered

The PvP Battle grounds Rock. When on CoH when they released Arena and could never get anoyone to go on it. Battlegrounds in Warcraft are like imense 80 man Wars well Alterac Vally is anyway.

12. Benstamania Go away.

You said it best man! I've saved a ton of cash playing WoW, as it's been the ONLY game I've been playing for months. I habe NO idea where some of you guys say "But teh 13 yeear olds!111!1" because I have YET to run into anyone acting immature. I play on Lothar and I'm "FOR THE HORDE!" so maybe that's the reason.

WoW is the best MMO I've played, hands down. If it's not your cup of tea, fine. But it is in NO way a joke, I think people tend to say that about the popular games though. It's cool to hate on what's popular. :p

13. Drakon I got a rock.

I've noticed that generally Horde players are a bit more mature than Alliance players. I think that a good part of it is because a lot of Alliance players are still new to the MMORPG circle, and pick something "Pretty", as opposed to an Orc or a Troll, as opposed to the Horde players picking Racials and the like.

That's just a theory, not fact, and I'm not changing my opinion for anyone.

14. Extromaniac Registered

DAoC > WoW.

WoW is one of the single WORST MMORPGs ever. It's a PvE grindfest where equipment is the difference between being ganked and doing the ganking. It's such a ****ing item-ladder it's not even funny.

Secondly, you don't even have to play your god-damned character in PvP if you have 'epix', just sit there and wait til you get bored and kill the other player. The game takes zero skill, and it's all about doing 6-hour 40-man raids to get the next 'phat lewtz'. That's the worst concept for a MMO to date.

At least WAR will make up for the failure named WoW.

15. SouLeSS Registered

Bleh

16. Extromaniac Registered

I'll reply to your response out of boredom.

1) You're actually right, the median age for players in WoW is about 26. This doesn't stop them from acting like 13 year olds, though.

2) Look above, the fact is that most of the people on WoW are gankers and not very helpful at all, because they act like they're 13. This makes for a bad community. Also, Unlike Mythic (making WAR, made DAoC) Blizzard doesn't do much in the way of keeping in touch with the community on a person-to-person basis. Hell, I'm playing in a Fantasy Football League with Richard (from Mythic) who set it up for a few of us over at WHA. THAT'S a real community-oriented developer.

3) Actually, the PvP is bad as most people say. Instead of having item grinds in PvP.. you have honour grinds. You sit there and grind for honour, the whole game's a grind. And on top of that, you have to get your 'epix' before you can even be competitive with the other end-gamers.

4) DAoC had some good ones. As far as I know from playing the trial, that is.

5) No, the instances are boring. Any instance that requires you to have an ub3r guild, with a bunch of L337 kids who you hate.. sucks. 40-man raids for 4+ hours is not, by any definition of the word, fun

6) Actually, it is different than a lot of other games crafting systems. The items you get from crafting are absolutely WORTHLESS compared to what you get when you're doing said 40-man raids.

7) You're right, I don't have a problem with this. First time. Wowza.

8) Yes, it is really only for the hardcore. How is this interesting? Being glued to your computer for many, many hours at a time just trying to raid for some new ub3r weapon that Blizzard coughed up. Yes. This is fun, oh so fun.

17. The Leaguer Registered

It's easy as Hell to get to 60. I have a friend who hasn't played it more than a year and has four level 60 characters, all geared out their asses.

And the only good thing about WoW's PvP is the Battlegrounds. They may be fun, but it's a f***ing pain to find one if you're under 60.

18. SouLeSS Registered

Did you ever play WoW and if so, what was your highest level

19. Mr. Smash'n Bash Registered

I played it and got a character up to around 58 or something, I can't remember because I quite about 6 months ago but I found that once I reached pretty much the endgame it was both boring and nothing more then either an Epic grind or a Honor grind.

20. Comics N' Toons Viva La Revolucion!

I hate WOW because you hafta pay for it & people go too NUTS over it...

Wake the F*** UP it's a computer game

21. jdlynch1 Registered

22. Soapy Registered

You know...in theory, I wouldn't mind paying 15 bucks a month to play a good MMO, but 15 dollars a month for WoW?

I don't know. I feel like Blizzard should pay me to play that game. :o

23. Bathead The Oldest Geek

I've been playing it for three months now, and so far, I'm enjoying it. As this is the first MMORPG I've ever played, I can't speak as to how it compares to others, but I'm having fun.

24. Raiden Wakanda Forever

WOW isn't the first MMO I played, and I do think there are flaws in this game. However, I play it because it's still fun, doesn't take over my life like other MMO, and most importantly there are friends and family who are playing that game, which gives me the incentive to keep playing so I can socialize with them. Yes, WOW is a huge grind and far too gear-dependent, and from my limited time play WAR I think it's a superior game than WOW. But I still play WOW because I like to play with people I know, and I'm very interested to see what the next expansion will offer in terms of new content and fun factor.

25. GL1 It's pronounced "glee"

Boom. This is where it is. WoW is not a great game. The gameplay is not the attraction. The community is the attraction... no, not their friendliness. WoW is the game you can talk about with people... that you can run into others who play.

And it is simple, and that attracts a lot of casual gamers. This is why the "WoW" killer claim is so silly. It's like a software company coming up with a "Windows Killer." It doesn't matter than Windows sucks - it's got superior marketing and positioning and exposure. It's here to stay. Same with Wow, just to a lesser degree.