WoW=overhyped

Discussion in 'PC' started by Joker, Jul 4, 2006.

1. Joined:
    Oct 1, 2007
    ^Yea I agree. People will still be playing this game possibly 10-15 years from now.

2. Raiden Wakanda Forever

I think WOW devs have a good understanding of what makes people play WOW in spite of superior competitions; people want to play a MMO that caters to both PVE and PVP (although WOW is still very much a PVE-centric game despite BG and Arena), stuff for casuals to do (achievement, dailies, quick 5-man dungeons), stuff for hardcores to do (Arena, 25-man dungeons, rep grinds), and offer a recruit-a-friend system that pays off for both you and the person you invited to play WOW.

Ultimately, people play MMO to be with the people they like and want to play along with, and this is the factor that will make other MMO hard to wrestle subscribers away from this game.

#102 Raiden, Oct 28, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2008
  3. Soapy Registered

No doubt.

Of course a better and more popular MMO will come around eventually, but WoW isn't going anywhere. Blizzard won't hold their 11 million players forever, but there will always be a dedicated group who will play the game as long Blizzard keeps it running.

A fair number of people still play Everquest, and this is a game that is still being updated regularly. I think it's 15th or 16th expansion is coming out next year. Crazy.

Hell, even Ultima Online is still kicking around with it's die-hard players.

So yeah, the moral of the story is that video games are never "killed", they're just succeeded.

4. GL1 It's pronounced "glee"

Sad, but so, so true.

And it is true, that WoW devs are good at what they do, and that is catering. They realized, perhaps first, that catering to the LCD playstyles would get them big rewards, and it has.

I don't think the answer is to 'wrestle subscribers from Wow.' The goal is to get new subscribers before WoW does. To get WoW's largely untapped markets (social networking peeps and the Wii generation, imho), and leverage from there. That's kinda what Mac did... they didn't go for the business world, they got the creative studios and the not-quite-computers hardware. Now they're ubiquitous, and perceived as superior, even by non-adopters. That's what another MMO will have to do to take a solid second next to WoW. Maybe, because the MMO market is a helluva lot more fickle than the Computing market, even overtake them one day.

But no one is going out-standard MMO WoW. It just will not happen.

Honestly... that's going to be, like, 10 years from now. Maybe more. Unless Blizzard messes up.

If Blizzard Messes up badly enough, any great MMO with exceptional marketing could dethrone them.

5. Raiden Wakanda Forever

I think in order for another MMO to dethrone WOW, it needs to have a big company behind them to give them financial backing, and working with a license that is recognizable. They also need to have a game that caters to as many player base as possible, from PVE crowd to PVP enthusiasts, to casual gamers and hardcore players. Not an easy task, but I don't think WOW will stay #1 forever.

6. GL1 It's pronounced "glee"

No, not forever, but for an unnecessarily long time. I don't think that if a great all-catering MMO came out now for, say, Pokemon, that WoW would be dethroned. I think the marketing would play as large a part as the quality or catering of the game. Just putting something on the shelves and showing some TV commercials won't do it.

7. JRPJCDJC Registered

I feel almost the opposite. I first played the trial and that inspired me to buy the full version. For me, playing the trial on the lower levels got me excited because this ginormous possibility for a great gaming experience was unfolding. Then, when I finally bought the full version I found it lacking a purpose. Other than leveling and buying new gear, I wasn't sure what I was supposed to be doing - what the ultimate goal was other than 'kill the bad guys.' It's still probably the best video gaming experience ther is but something is just 'off' for me.

8. chronoic Registered

I think wow peak are 1-10, 30-31, 55, 58 or 60, 68 or 70, and 78-80, 80+ if you found a good guild. (for a new person)

the only reason I say this, is because this is when avatar gains something differ, or leave a part of one thing and start what looks to be new, but then you find out it isn't.

1-10 (when you start out and after being in so many Grinding game, you think this one might be different)

(some people) 20 (you can solo and go past 20 and not need to find a group to get good exp) (most game once you hit here good exp become hard unless you find a group which I think is a great thing because, it is hard to find one, when you start so late into a game)

30-31 (get your first mount: and you think this is so much faster)
    55 (can make a Death Knight)
    58 or 60 (get faster mount or hit out world for the 1st time, new content you think…)
    68 or 70 (get 1st flying mount and go to Northern)
    78-80 (you get to fly your flying mount in Northern after 7 level of having a useless fly mount)
    80 (max level to be more correct) (this one can go either way, the only way if would be fun is the following)
    1) you have friends that play
    2) you are in a good guild
    3) your into arena
    4) you like Battle grounds
    5) you like the game and want to restart
    If you don’t have any of the following at 80, well mostly you be doing what (maybe 50%) of all 80 do, log in to battle ground/level profession/someone to whisper or post LFX DPS/Healer/Tank for XXXX.

Well with that say I hate to lecture, but yea, I play WoW, and I love it (now anyways). My reason for playing is some of my friend play too (real life, not Avatar) When I started I played by myself and those were my peaks too, but I was at the bore side of max level and my guild I was in wasn’t going any where. So I quit, I hesitated when my friends decided to come back and play. Now that they play it is fun, there is always something to do in game, we still hang out, but on days like weekdays, we find the time after work to run one or to instances for gears. But this is just my opium on WoW.

9. chronoic Registered

didn't mean to double post had internet problems

#109 chronoic, Dec 24, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2008
  10. SouLeSS Registered

That's how just baout every MMO is.

11. Raiden Wakanda Forever

I love WOW, but if you don't have the time to run instances and/or do BG and grind for great gears, then there is really no reason to play WOW (or any MMO, for that matter). Right now I play Xbox 360 and it feels better not having to feel the pressure to acquire elite gears, or get killed by someone who is epic'd out. I wish that I will be able to play WOW again, but I have a feeling that I will only get less and less playing time so the chance of that happening is slim.

12. JRPJCDJC Registered

Honestly - I started liking it less when I figured out how the chating feature worked. I enjoyed playing the game but the chat pretty much screwed that up.

13. SouLeSS Registered

For those sick of WoW but want to play another MMO, I suggest Warhammer Online. The games very similar, but they take everything WoW does right, and takes it to the next level.

Except instances, theres only a few and most of them suck/not worth the time. But the PVP in it is phenominal, and the public quests are fun as all hell.

14. Fading ---

I think WoW has that same something that Everquest 1 had that made it like virtual crack. You can want to quit, but something always pulls you back. I decided to finally go cold turkey to quit. Everytime I quit before I ended up coming. This last time I gave it to a friends kid in the guild so I had no way to come back lol.

WoW had it's bright points, playing a rogue in that game is so much fun. However I find WoW to be THE worst MMO crowd. I mean I'm fine with 'adult talk', cussing, whatever. It's just the sheer lack of maturity on any level, disrespect, annoying spam, chuck norris jokes, annoying kid talk, and so on. Barren's chat on Horde side just became a jumble of random caps locked word's at times.

The Everquest crowd I liked when I played it awhile back. I just didn't like the lonely virtual dating crowd. I was 14 or so at the time and had 30+ year old women trying to cyber and virtual date me. I had a woman in our guild buy me a very expensive weapon the day after she broke up with her BF.

15. Joined:
    Oct 1, 2007
    That's the thing I like about Guild Wars, Stripping away the monotony of grind, being free to play, using a limited card-like skill set rather than best gear and most experience along with getting right to the action with a party (or with NPC's) without faffing about, it has some single player style narrative with a beginging a middle an end.

It has it's problems the voice acting, story suck balls, pretty cliche stuff but it still feels like it has a point. All but one of the expansions could be bought seperatly as a stand alone product each with a begining a middle and an end without the need to own a prevous games and they weren't some crap tacked on either, there was alot of good content and updates. I wish more people would use the Guild Wars model than try to emulate world of warcraft.

16. Ugfugly Registered

People still pay to play Ultima Online, doesn't make it any relevant or good now, but your statement is most likely correct.

17. Joined:
    Oct 1, 2007
    It is, without it there probably wouldn't be a world of warcraft in the first place.

That's subjective.