Wow! The NEW (Hype!) TiVo Can Do So Much! - Part 6

I can't believe I'm having to say this again, but: DO NOT use this thread as an excuse to be a-holes.

You (the mods) know that's what people use it for, so why do you let it carry on ? Just close the thread down. How many times do people have to have the opportunity to simply be a-holes as you word it.

it's ok for mods to call people ash flashs... so i doubt they care.

Clearly they don't. That was their word NOT mine. I would just use the word bully. Encapsulates in one word what so many others mean.

Last edited:
You (the mods) know that's what people use it for, so why do you let it carry on ? Just close the thread down. How many times do people have to have the opportunity to simply be a-holes as you word it.
Because when it's used for what it's intended for, it's fun, and it's been a beloved institution on the Hype for over a decade. Since before I even joined. We don't shut down other forms of entertainment because a few people abuse them.

Clearly they don't. That was their word NOT mine. I'd would just use the word bully. Encapsulates in one word what so many others mean.
I'm not using that word because people throw that around too easily nowadays, imo. "Bullying" implies the strong picking on the weak. That's THE defining trait of bullying, by the classical definition, at any rate. People of equal standing being jerks to one another is just that - people engaging in jerk-ish behavior. Someone not being nice to someone else does not automatically make them a bully. Especially when what they're doing essentially amounts to calling out someone else's hostile behavior. VERY few of the standing grudges on the Hype have veered into actual bullying territory, and cyber-bullying carries the largest amount of infraction points possible, when it's incurred. We take THAT very seriously. What's happened in here is just basic message board pettiness.

Because when it's used for what it's intended for, it's fun, and it's been a beloved institution on the Hype for over a decade. Since before I even joined. We don't shut down other forms of entertainment because a few people abuse them.

Well from where I'm sitting, those people 'abusing' the 'fun and beloved' thread (pardon me whilst I gag at that thought process that this thread is actually that) are left to get away with their bullying (and that's what it is) time and time again, you (the mods) say you act, but here you are again, having to warn these people. Warnings do nothing, action against bullies is the only way.

I'm not using that word because people throw that around too easily nowadays, imo. "Bullying" implies the strong picking on the weak. That's THE defining trait of bullying, by the classical definition, at any rate. People of equal standing being jerks to one another is just that - people engaging in jerk-ish behavior. Someone not being nice to someone else does not automatically make them a bully. VERY few of the standing grudges on the Hype have veered into actual bullying territory, and cyber-bullying carries the largest amount of infraction points possible, when it's incurred. We take THAT very seriously. What's happened in here is just basic message board pettiness.

No wonder no action is taken if the people in charge have no concept of how to actually recognise a problem.

If you see it as 'pettiness', there is no hope in dealing with it.

No wonder no action is taken if the people in charge have no concept of how to actually recognise a problem.
And you're too eager to see them. Not everyone on message boards are going to get along. There are long-standing grudges, hostilities and cliques here as there are in any community. When those get out of hand, we step in. But we aren't pre-school teachers. Nor are we mediators. For the most part, you work out your own ****.

And you're too eager to see them. Not everyone on message boards are going to get along. There are long-standing grudges, hostilities and cliques here as there are in any community. When those get out of hand, we step in. But we aren't pre-school teachers. Nor are we mediators. For the most part, you work out your own ****.

I am not asking you to 'hold my hand', I'm asking you to recognise you have a group of people who use certain 'fun and beloved' threads as you see them as, as a way of systematically having an access point too bully other members of this forum. If you are saying we can work out our ****, then you are saying we can have a free-for-all.

I'm beginning to see how and why they are allowed to proceed in the manner they do.

I am not asking you to 'hold my hand', I'm asking you to recognise you have a group of people who use certain 'fun and beloved' threads as you see them as, as a way of systematically having an access point too bully other members of this forum. If you are saying we can work out our ****, then you are saying we can have a free-for-all.

I'm beginning to see how and why they are allowed to proceed in the manner they do.
Again, we step in when it gets out of hand, as I just did. So no free-for-all here. But we're not about to issue mandates for whole groups to ignore certain other groups. You guys hang out on the same boards, you interact. Certain behavior grates on certain people more than others. It happens. When people start in on the personal attacks, we intervene. Simple as that. Sorry if that's not good enough for you, but that's what we're here to do.

Those same posters will be allowed to post again with similar themed responses when they see someone they can pick on and target in a time in the future. Then I'm sure you'll 'step in'. Here's an idea, don't allow them that opportunity again.

They are being allowed to behave like that. That's wrong. It's like in school when the bullied child is the one seen with the problem and the school refuse to actually act on the larger scale problem.

You have a huge amount of bullies on this forum, and you let them get away with running the joint if your reaction too it is 'sort the **** out yourselves'.

giphy.gif

Bullying would be finding out a member is a virgin or gay or something like that and posting it in here and then ridiculing them and calling them out on it as if they are somehow a POS. That is bullying. For example we have and have had members on this forum that are former alcoholics. We've have members and probably still do that have had real troubles and addictions in their life. Using this thread to hurt them because of their troubles is bullying. Harrassment, hurting someone, stalking someone and PMing them threats and aggressive things is bullying.

Calling out troll behaviour and dumb behaviour and odd arguments in this thread is not bullying.

all i'm saying is don't call me an ash flash for saying something factual.

Don't worry, Mandon, that was for me.

And again, you have a broad definition of bullying that doesn't fit the actual definition of bullying. Calling out someone's behavior is NOT bullying.

Theres nothing wrong with a guy caring about the attractiveness of female actors while not caring about the attractiveness of male actors.

Heterosexuals tend to pay more attention to the attractiveness of girls and not guys. Shocking. Truly shocking.
There is nothing wrong with that. The issue was he didn't want to admit that, while trying to act like he doesn't do it. He started comparing it to thinking whether an actor looks like the character, which was obvious BS. If you are going to do it, just admit you are doing it.

Also, stating facts doesn't excuse rudeness, FYI. You can absolutely be an a-hole while stating true things. Just in general.

And for the record, I don't think any one of the people involved is an a-hole. But even decent people can engage in a-hole-ish behavior, especially when they...congregate. Like Agent K from MiB would say, a PERSON is decent, but PEOPLE are dumb, petty, stupid animals and you all know it. ;)

A-hole. I posted a thread warning saying not to be a-holes and Reek took it as a personal insult because his was one of the many posts I deleted.

immediately after i posted... you know damn well who you aimed it at.

Also, stating facts doesn't excuse rudeness, FYI. You can absolutely be an a-hole while stating true things. Just in general.

And for the record, I don't think any one of the people involved is an a-hole. But even decent people can engage in a-hole-ish behavior, especially when they...congregate. Like Agent K from MiB would say, a PERSON is decent, but PEOPLE are dumb, petty, stupid animals and you all know it. ;)
i didnt congregate with anyone. but dont pretend that poster doesnt annoy you as well.
shut up *******

good god.. y'all are still letting this thing run around and I am the ash flash?

Those same posters will be allowed to post again with similar themed responses when they see someone they can pick on and target in a time in the future. Then I'm sure you'll 'step in'. Here's an idea, don't allow them that opportunity again.

They are being allowed to behave like that. That's wrong. It's like in school when the bullied child is the one seen with the problem and the school refuse to actually act on the larger scale problem.

You have a huge amount of bullies on this forum, and you let them get away with running the joint if your reaction too it is 'sort the **** out yourselves'.

It has shades of Empire all over again mate. All you can do is call things out when you see it and don't let them push you around. Always got your back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"