A New Era for the Wrestling Thread

alexa-1a40fccbe6cd29cc6.jpg

alexa-28d57a38a1641c65a.jpg

alexa-31a8326af85612acf.jpg

Yep.

Anyone watching Smackdown?

Jordan Myles aka ACH got his release from WWE.

Oney is rumored to have asked for his release.

Jordan Myles aka ACH got his release from WWE.

Oney is rumored to have asked for his release.

ACH called Jay Lethal "Uncle Tom." Jay is a good friend to Matt and Nick Jackson, so ACH will not be going to AEW.

WWE Starrcade is streaming on Youtube due to network issues.

It's ridiculous that Charlotte Flair ALONE is beating the hell out of the Women's Tag Champs. Folks wonder why people don't take the Tag belts (male or female) seriously.

the last wrestling program I saw was Takeover: War Games. I haven't missed wrestling at all.

It's ridiculous that Charlotte Flair ALONE is beating the hell out of the Women's Tag Champs. Folks wonder why people don't take the Tag belts (male or female) seriously.
In all seriousness all the belts have been a joke for a while in the WWE. Really all of WWE has been a joke expect for The Fiend (who they are preparing to serve up to Roman to be burred by). That's why I only watch now NXT and AEW and catch Bray's stuff on YouTube.

In all seriousness all the belts have been a joke for a while in the WWE. Really all of WWE has been a joke expect for The Fiend (who they are preparing to serve up to Roman to be burred by). That's why I only watch now NXT and AEW and catch Bray's stuff on YouTube.
Not the NXT ones.

On one hand, the logic was poor, especially as Asuka beat her on her own last week. On the other hand, it was also really good. So a great, stupid match. So a win for current RAW/Smackdown? :funny:

Last edited:
So AEW's ratings took a big hit this week. It could be a for a lot of reasons, including the holiday traveling. But that feels like a weak excuse, when NXT fell, but not nearly as much. I haven't watched AEW in 3 weeks, and I haven't missed it. Keeping up with NXT though. I was thinking about why, and I have a few things I am curious what others here think about.

1. AEW seems to function like everyone who has watched it know who their "big stars" are. But to me, that is a mistake. The people they need to get and keep around aren't people who watched NJPW, ROH, IMPACT, etc. They don't know Omega as the Best Bout Machine. Kenny shouldn't be building other wrestlers, AEW should be building up Kenny to be a star. But they kind of weirdly treat him like he is HBK post-return. Where he is just giving everyone the rub.

2. The guys that most people would know are Jericho, Moxley, Cody and Pac. Jericho who is old and while great on the mic, that is all he really has a at this point. Moxley is arguably their biggest star, but he was the third wheel of the SHIELD in the end. Pac was a CW in the WWE and Cody is know as Goldust's brother. So I guess what I am saying is, their big names play a lot like early WCW, but with way less star power. I think this is a mistake.

3. The roster is super thin, and the guys they are trying to get over as the stars, I just... I don't get it. I love smaller wrestlers. Little dudes that make the impossible possible. I also love variety. But that is not what Darby Allin is. He doesn't look like a wrestler and does not function like one. It is the same with the likes Jimmy Havoc and Janella. There is way too much indy in AEW and it is why they don't have any real stars imo.

4. The structure of AEW is really poor imo. It got really stale, really quickly for me. Every week feels like a Jericho and Cody promo, with a lot of very indy matches, that are usually too long imo. Some matches need not serve the star rating system. Sometimes you just need matches that are light, built to progress story.Also people complain about WWE style 50/50 booking, but AEW are doing the same thing with the repetitive matches, that split the winners. How has Pac been pinned already?

5. They put the belts on the wrong people from the start, and it has not helped. The worst tag team and an over the hill old WWE guy. Why?

6. The women's division is bad. They have like 5 wrestlers, and even then we aren't talking a high level. And yet every week, a lot like Allin, we are treated to them being pushed like they are the Smackdown Six. And it just doesn't help the show at all imo. They don't have the work rate to do that. It really makes me appreciate how much WWE has invest in their wrestlers. The talent they have amassed and turned into fine pro wrestlers in comparison.

Honesty, I feel like AEW wants to sprint before they can crawl, without the knowledge to do it. I get that people wanted these guys to do their thing, but honestly, it doesn't feel like they know how to book. Can they out book Vince? Of course. But they aren't just trying to out book Vince. They are going up against the greatest roster in wrestling history, and minds like HHH and Heyman.

Last edited:
Reactions: NDX
Zack Ryder, The Miz and Dolph Ziggler are going to be happy since those guys are all pretty good friends with Morrison.

If I was Morrison I would rather be in NXT or Smackdown. He will be jobbing in within six months if he goes to Raw.

Kinda wish Morrison went to AEW. I don't like the thought of him returning to Jobber status for the great glory of Seth Rollins/Roman Reigns.

I also agree with the longer post above about AEW. I posted something similar a few weeks ago. They need to build "Main eventers" right now and not lean on Chris Jericho. They are doing a decent job with MJF at building him into a top heel and a so-so job with Adam Page, but there is a lack of character building outside of the "hold over stars".

IMO, Moxley, MJF, Pac (I hate that name), Adam Page, Kenny Omega are the nucleus of their future. Now give me a reason to root for them past their previous WWE/Indy exploits.

John Morrison and WWE were a great fit, if not for John's disastrous choice of romantic partner. He could have been main eventing with Cena and Orton at a time when the WWE was short on top-tier talent. Now he's coming back as a midcarder act, I imagine, but we can always imagine what might have been.

Kinda wish Morrison went to AEW. I don't like the thought of him returning to Jobber status for the great glory of Seth Rollins/Roman Reigns.

I also agree with the longer post above about AEW. I posted something similar a few weeks ago. They need to build "Main eventers" right now and not lean on Chris Jericho. They are doing a decent job with MJF at building him into a top heel and a so-so job with Adam Page, but there is a lack of character building outside of the "hold over stars".

IMO, Moxley, MJF, Pac (I hate that name), Adam Page, Kenny Omega are the nucleus of their future. Now give me a reason to root for them past their previous WWE/Indy exploits.

I don't see Morrison as a fit for AEW. AEW doesn't need to sign everyone who has been in the WWE. They should only sign those who they think can add value to their company. I don't see how Morrison adds any value to AEW.

Everything in wrestling today is influenced by 2000s ROH and Japan so if you're going to criticise AEW for being too indy then criticise the whole damn business for it. NXT and AEW both have exciting action and good promos from time to time, but they both also don't do anything much outside of match, in-ring promo, match, in-ring promo etc. etc . The truth is everything is half assed from a format standpoint in wrestling today . Lucha Underground actually did something new in the genre and tried serialized storytelling and cinematics but nobody freaking watched so we're only ever going to see basic ***** stuff as far presentation goes now. I still love wrestling but man it is so old. Wrestling doesn't want to evolve it's presentation and most fans are the equivalent of CBS viewers, so even if we get a company trying to give us a revolutionary product like ECW did, not enough people will pay attention to it. Everyone in the wrestling business a is still doing the same RAW or Nitro type show from 20
years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"